Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pharnakes posted:

Pretty sure those are missile slots, the ballistics slot is the reticule. Otherwise that Griffin would have 0 missile slots which seems unlikely given the giant missile launcher on its shoulder.
Yeah I got it confused in both the icon and the mech, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
how do you nerds know so much about these mechs and how do i get gud at this game prior to it coming out

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Impermanent posted:

how do you nerds know so much about these mechs and how do i get gud at this game prior to it coming out

Well, start with playing the original board game for thirty five years or so....

Dreadwroth posted:

Oh man gently caress yes it is the correct answer, I used to have the Blood and Steel boxed set and wanted the huge campaign box really badly. More than once I had a tank go slamming into a stand of trees at full speed, good times!

I had all three, Interceptor, Leviathan, and Centurion. Never got my hands on Prefect for the integrated game, but had a lot of fun with all the individual components. I remember once playing a Leviathan game with all the ships we had counters for and slamming them into one another until only one crippled TOG destroyer was left limping off the board. Fun times!

Also, a lot of what became Crimson Skies originated in Interceptor, including the weapon specific damage templates. so having Interceptor going could make it easier to roll into Crimson Skies....

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 3, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DatonKallandor posted:

Every DFA costs cold hard cash, and makes you extremely vulnerable to being legged, which costs even more money. And since you're always limited to 4 mechs max and your opposition isn't, getting even one mech mission killed is a very large loss in firepower. Plus getting legged is a guaranteed pilot wound, which has it's own set of costs after the battle.

Hitting heads is also extremely rare if you're banking on that you might as well punch in melee or called shot the head with morale.

Sure in a skirmish, DFA your heart out, the costs don't matter and your opponent has the same amount of units you do.

Pardon me, taking notes for my conspiracy wall of Mercenary Penny Pinchers Vs Scrooge McPirate.

I legit forgot DFA is automatic internal damage, even if your armor holds up... I expect to be wastefully DFAing fallen mechs anyway

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Speaking about DFAs, It's a shame that (as far as I am aware) you can't use jump jets to get close and then do a regular melee attack. JJs give you a bit more range and more chevrons so there are good reasons to want to do this so you don't blow your legs off constantly.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

What's aod?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The Angel of Death skill, probably.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

In order to fill the gap to release, lets talk custom mechs.

We know that one of the starter mechs is a ShadowHawk-2H. The ShitHawk is a universally reviled mech due to it's terrible jack of all trades loudout. However, it is an excellent chassis capable of mounting a Lot of armour for a medium mech.

The default ShadowHawk has an SRM2 in the head, an LRM5 in the right torso, a Medium Laser in the right arm and an AC5 in the left torso. It also carries 3 Jump Jets and an extra heatsink on top of 3 tons of ammo, one for each weapon. It also carries a reduced armour load. Combined with three tons of ammo, it turns the ShadowHawk into a bit of a deathtrap. It's weapon load out is all over the place. The AC5 and LRM have penalties to close fighting, the SRM2 might as well be a fart in the wind and the single laser is a bizarre addition. Some describe the ShadowHawk as the 'AK47' of the Inner Sphere, common, reliable, easy to maintain and repair - but not really outstanding at anything.

The ShadowHawk also has 'battlefists', unlike a lot of mediums it's arm mounted weapons don't replace it's fists. This is represented in Battletech the game by the Shadowhawk dealing a very respectable 85 melee damage. 15 less than an AC20 shot. Melee attacks also make the target unsteady, which removes all evasion chevrons and kills status effects like Guarded.

We know from streams that the Shadowhawk has the following hardpoints:

code:
Head - 1 Missile HardPoint (restricted to only allowing and SRM2, SRM4 or LRM5 due to crit slots)
Left Arm - Nothing
Left Torso - 3(!) Ballistic HardPoints
Center Torso - Nothing
Right Torso - 2 Missile HardPoints
Right Arm - 1 Energy HardPoint, 1 Support Hardpoint.
Left Leg - Nothing
Right Leg - Nothing
I am thinking something like this for the ShadowHawk, to make it the best juggernaut punchbot in the Periphery and a star of the early game.

That is a Max Armour ShadowHawk with 4 Jump Jets (streams say it can mount 5 max). It has a two SRM6's (easy enough to get from early vehicles) with an extra SRM4 in the head (a little harder to find, probably need to buy from a store). It only carries one ton of ammo, giving it 6 full srm salvos. It isn't carrying the heatsinks to dump the heat from the srms, however, and we want that ammo depleted to prevent ammo explosions if a battle goes long and it starts to get exposed. It carries a Large laser in the arm for killing vehicles and turrets at long range, and we can put a low gunnery pilot in this Mech who can take advantage of the +10% hit from having an arm mounted laser. There is also a small laser to make that punch do even more damage. The small laser will fire after the punch, making the whole attack deal 115 damage, which is amazing. The main goal will be to sprint/jump towards enemies, unloading with SRM's or the laser on the way, then start punching the crap out of everything. Punching doesn't generate heat, so it can run hot on the way in.

I am thinking of making my main character a high Guts and Piloting MechWarrior. High Guts is for Bulwark (gain Guarded stance when firing (or punching) without moving) and Juggernaut (Punch the enemy so hard they fall into the next initiative slot (if they fall as well that is two initiative penalties!), as well as having more injuries and being able to run the Mech hotter. High Piloting gives as extra evasion chevrons that we can take advantage of by jumping or sprinting and also makes us a lot harder to become unsteady. We can get away with a low gunnery to start with as we will be shooting at knocked down targets or using the Large Laser that has an intrinsic accuracy bonus (+1 to hit for being a laser, +1 to hit for being arm mounted).

(Anticheese, AOD is gone).

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 4, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Its effective, but it just doesn't feel right to me to not have that shoulder cannon.

Some of us last night were talking about a support/skirmisher Centurion that trades the AC/10 down to an AC/5 to free up tonnage for a second LRM-10. Not sure if it'd be that effective in that role given its speed, but if you lack a trebuchet or any other missile platform, the Centurion doesn't seem too bad a replacement.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Do we know what determines your starting mech? Is it background choices, or just random?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Skippy McPants posted:

Do we know what determines your starting mech? Is it background choices, or just random?

Starting mechs are totally fixed.

They are: BJ-1 Blackjack, SHD-2H Shadowhawk, VND-1R Vindicator, SDR-5V Spider, LCT-1V Locust Also the (minor background spoiler)the Blackjack is specifically your protagonist's heirloom mech

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Starting mechs are totally fixed.

They are: BJ-1 Blackjack, SHD-2H Shadowhawk, VND-1R Vindicator, SDR-5V Spider, LCT-1V Locust Also the (minor background spoiler)the Blackjack is specifically your protagonist's heirloom mech

I was a little disappointed in not being able to choose the player's starting mech at least but its not nearly enough to dampen my enthusiasm to play.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Chance II posted:

I was a little disappointed in not being able to choose the player's starting mech at least but its not nearly enough to dampen my enthusiasm to play.

I kind of like that they did it like this. If you got to choose your starting mech they would immediately fall in to the trap of some mechs just being superior and better choices. The one that they give you is a kind of middle ground where it's not terrible, but it's also not all that great.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

If you really want to have different mechs modding might provide a solution.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Because the player isn't actually a pilot in this (barring some last-minute plot twist), I was kind of assuming/hoping that the player's ancestral mech was some kind of lovely deathtrap light that the PC took one look at and said 'lol nope, someone else can hop in that thing, I like being alive.'

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

Cyrano4747 posted:

I kind of like that they did it like this. If you got to choose your starting mech they would immediately fall in to the trap of some mechs just being superior and better choices. The one that they give you is a kind of middle ground where it's not terrible, but it's also not all that great.

Yeah thats part of why it doesn't bother me too much. I just happen to not really like the starter from some bad mekhq experiences.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Chance II posted:

Yeah thats part of why it doesn't bother me too much. I just happen to not really like the starter from some bad mekhq experiences.

Well, yeah, in TT and all its near relatives it's a total garbage mech. The loadout is just awful. Really the only thing that makes it viable in this game is how they rebalanced the ACs so the AC2 and AC5 aren't garbage any more.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cyrano4747 posted:

Cohh: Oh, goddammit, not again (strips more armour on centre torso, adds another ac 5)

E: I kept noticing he had fully armoured empty arms - is there any reason to keep armour on an arm without any weapons in it?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

sebmojo posted:

Cohh: Oh, goddammit, not again (strips more armour on centre torso, adds another ac 5)

E: I kept noticing he had fully armoured empty arms - is there any reason to keep armour on an arm without any weapons in it?

You can use it as an ablative deadside to keep in the direction of the enemy so they cant hit anything important. Also to keep from having to spend a bunch of time repairing the bare structure when it gets hit (in this specific game).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Eh, maybe. It depends on how they're doing the hit table. In TT if a mech without an arm had a hit rolled against it it automatically transferred to the torso. So, in effect, not having an arm at all made your torso much more vulnerable. Because of this if you had the tonnage to spare it was always a good idea to still put as much armor on the arm as you could.

That said, it's one of those "nice extra" things. Given the choice between an extra ton of armor on an empty arm or up-armoring the toros or legs you left the arm armor light every time.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

In TT don't hits to an empty arm travel up to the torso? I think in game, too.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yes, damage in this game still transfers towards the center torso like in Tabletop.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Because the player isn't actually a pilot in this (barring some last-minute plot twist), I was kind of assuming/hoping that the player's ancestral mech was some kind of lovely deathtrap light that the PC took one look at and said 'lol nope, someone else can hop in that thing, I like being alive.'

Uh, your protagonist character actually is a useable mechwarrior. You're also unable to be killed, somehow you always manage to eject in time or otherwise survive, even if your mech just got decapitated by an AC/20.

You can totally be hospitalized for months though.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Internet Explorer posted:

In TT don't hits to an empty arm travel up to the torso? I think in game, too.

They do, yes, any hits that would have hit an arm instead hit the adjoining torso if it's not destroyed, or go into the center torso.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Um yeah you are a pilot, you make a character at the start and thats representing you as you're running around the battlefield. They even have special audio cues that go off when you take actions as opposed to anyone else.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

kingcom posted:

Um yeah you are a pilot, you make a character at the start and thats representing you as you're running around the battlefield. They even have special audio cues that go off when you take actions as opposed to anyone else.

So glad they went this route. The MechCommander idea was neat, but I prefer having a PC on the field.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

yeah, while every other pilot has sound barks like "That got through their armor!" or "Arrtgh, I'm gonna need a medic after this!" for the Protagonist, its Betty, your mech computer, doing the talking "Target armor breached. :geno:" "Detecting Mechwarrior Injury. :geno:"

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

In my defense I've been trying to avoid spoilers, but I have no idea how I missed that, jeez. Maybe that was the initial plan? If not then who knows where I got that idea from.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

So glad they went this route. The MechCommander idea was neat, but I prefer having a PC on the field.

It also fits into the theme of the setting much better. Mechwarriors expect their CO to take to the field, to the point that you often have even the heads of state stomping around, and anyone who doesn't is viewed with mild derision.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I liked Cohh's jumpy sniper panther, but it feels like it needed a little more punch at range, does anyone know where there's a list of the weapon weights etc? I'm wondering what you'd have to strip to fit either an AC2 or an LRM 5 on there.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

sebmojo posted:

Arms don't grow on trees.

Also, the character builder starting choices look like they're set up for different ancestral mechs, so that might be something that they'll do eventually.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You could always swap out the Panther's SRM-4 for some LRMs if you want it to be pure Long range sniper. However, the SRM-4's main purpose is to help defend the slowish Panther from other, faster lights.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DatonKallandor posted:

Also, the character builder starting choices look like they're set up for different ancestral mechs, so that might be something that they'll do eventually.

I think they just let you repair exploded limbs, and manage getting new robots through getting scrap. I vaguely recall isildur saying they had a plan for looting body parts but cut it as too complex?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The plan for salvaging and reassmbling mechs was originally to do it based on limbs and such. This was too fiddly and risked you somehow never finding a Stalker-4N Left Leg or something, so instead it was simplified to three generic (and universal) "salvage components" for each variant of mech to reassemble one.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

DatonKallandor posted:

Yeah at first I thought that the first choice (Marik, Davion, etc origin) would effect your ancestral mech but no. I guess its something that could change at release but its not a big deal. Even Cohh was swimming in salvage within a few easy early missions.

As far as armoring empty arms.... every time Cohh ticked down armor on the arm of one of his mechs that had a couple tons of ammo in the connecting torso, I died a little inside just waiting for a juicy floating crit to just pop the whole mech in one shot.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Chance II posted:

Yeah at first I thought that the first choice (Marik, Davion, etc origin) would effect your ancestral mech but no. I guess its something that could change at release but its not a big deal. Even Cohh was swimming in salvage within a few easy early missions.

As far as armoring empty arms.... every time Cohh ticked down armor on the arm of one of his mechs that had a couple tons of ammo in the connecting torso, I died a little inside just waiting for a juicy floating crit to just pop the whole mech in one shot.

Good news is, ammo explosions no longer transfer between sections. Every mech basically has "CASE" because Isildur decided the idea of blowout panels being lost tech was stupid. Presumably they'll give actual CASE some kinda benefits in the inevitable sequels/expansions.

Also ammo bins only explode if there is over half the ammo left. Otherwise the ammo bin/feed system is just destroyed.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I have to question why the standard Shadowhawk has not one but three ballistic slots in it's shoulder, even if you could fit three AC/2s in there, why in the world would you want to consider how much you have to sacrifice to make it work. It'd make way more sense if the thing had one ballistic and two support hardpoints instead.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Phrosphor posted:

(Anticheese, AOD is gone).

I know. I was just offering what it meant before it got removed. :sun:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Anticheese posted:

I know. I was just offering what it meant before it got removed. :sun:

Ty kind and helpful robogoon

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Back Hack posted:

I have to question why the standard Shadowhawk has not one but three ballistic slots in it's shoulder, even if you could fit three AC/2s in there, why in the world would you want to consider how much you have to sacrifice to make it work. It'd make way more sense if the thing had one ballistic and two support hardpoints instead.

Maybe bigger weapons eat multiple hardpoints? Probably they won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

They do not. Its probably just a holdover from basing their hardpoints off MWO's weapon options since they dependent on the mech's model/graphic details.