Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I thought their pronunciation of "Column Meaney" was a gag until I learned that that's how you actually pronounce "Colm."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Holy moley T'Pol's mom loving sucks.

:byodame:"Hey honey you need to go through with this arranged marriage to some jerk you don't know because his daddy is important, what will Vulcan society think if you back out of your marriage to this rear end in a top hat. And omg quit Starfleet right now, because it looks bad to Vulcan society what will people think, Vulcan society, Vulcan society. omg Vulcan society is the most important thing in the universe, gently caress your happiness, Vulcan society."

:engleft:"OK I'll do it but only because that rear end in a top hat blackmailed me into it by letting me know I'm the reason you were fired from your prestigious research position and you will only get it back if I go through with this bullshit, I am literally letting a man blackmail me into sex just so you can have that prestigious job."

:byodame:"Thanks sweetie, you're doing the right thing."

*two weeks later*

:byodame:"Oh hey honey btw I just quit my prestigious job you got back for me because I forgot to mention I joined this desert cult a few years ago when I became totally disillusioned with Vulcan society and stopped caring about what anyone thinks."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FlamingLiberal posted:

Especially since Beyond didn’t do well. I am fine if they decide to just do a completely different Trek story with new characters at this point, but i have to assume that Paramount wouldn’t green light that.

Paramount won't even green-light a new Transformers movie any more lol

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I actually liked Enterprise but I must've completely blocked out the existence of a T'Pol's mom episode.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MillennialVulcan posted:

15 million is a large enough number that it doesn't matter what percent of the population it is, it's still pre meditated murder of 15 million people, fucks sake.

"One Bajoran murder is a tragedy, 15 million Bajoran murders is a statistic" - Gul Dukat, probably.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Kibayasu posted:

It's probably a joke.

Pretty sure they said early on that’s how they thought they’d heard it pronounced before. It honestly doesn’t read as one of their callback jokes/references. And if it is, it’s loving stupid.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

WampaLord posted:

"One Bajoran murder is a tragedy, 15 million Bajoran murders is a statistic justified" - Gul Dukat, probably.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

How did they explain away the T'Pol in Starfleet thing? Wasn't Spock supposed to be the first Vulcan in Starfleet? Prequels are the worst.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Paramount won't even green-light a new Transformers movie any more lol

Apparently they're doing a reboot after the Bumblebee movie comes out

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Nicole de Boer is in a TV movie about a town where it's always Christmas, called, if I remember correctly, Christmas Town. It's possible that as a TV movie about Christmas it also stars half the cast of Starship Troopers.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

womb with a view posted:

How did they explain away the T'Pol in Starfleet thing? Wasn't Spock supposed to be the first Vulcan in Starfleet? Prequels are the worst.

T'Pol is never in Starfleet, she's the Vulcan High Command liaison onboard the Enterprise.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

womb with a view posted:

I don't think Spock was ever the first Vulcan in Starfleet, at least as treated by most of the story. He may have been the first Vulcan to serve on a non-Vulcan ship since the Intrepid, despite an English name (perhaps translated from the Vulcan?) had an all-Vulcan crew.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Nessus posted:

I don't think Spock was ever the first Vulcan in Starfleet, at least as treated by most of the story. He may have been the first Vulcan to serve on a non-Vulcan ship since the Intrepid, despite an English name (perhaps translated from the Vulcan?) had an all-Vulcan crew.

Oh right, looking at Memory Alpha it seems I got that mixed up with him being "the first person ever admitted to the Vulcan Science Academy who then chose not to attend." :shepface:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

T'pol sorta joins, by being more formally integrated into the command structure after a while. Like, I'm pretty sure she gains rank pips by the fourth season. I think that was their way to follow what her character progression was building towards while not undermining Spock.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The distinction is United Earth Starfleet vs United Federation of Planets Starfleet but that's very close to splitting hairs.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

WampaLord posted:

"One Bajoran murder is a tragedy, 15 million Bajoran murders is a statistic" - Gul Dukat, probably.

Accurate

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

MillennialVulcan posted:

15 million is a large enough number that it doesn't matter what percent of the population it is, it's still pre meditated murder of 15 million people, fucks sake.

Fair point.

Further to that, to most people (and writers) large enough numbers become pretty abstract so it really doesn't matter too much. Of course, we're all nerds on the internet so we care about it way more than anyone else.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And in the end, Dukat's own hubris gets billions of Cardassians killed by the very Dominion he allied them with.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

And in the end, Dukat's own hubris gets billions of Cardassians killed by the very Dominion he allied them with.

Truly he was hoist with his own petard.

Sorry, I forgot, this is Star Trek.

Truly, he was hoist... with his own photon petard.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hoist by his own Picard

nmx
May 16, 2004

CaveGrinch posted:

Pretty sure they said early on that’s how they thought they’d heard it pronounced before. It honestly doesn’t read as one of their callback jokes/references. And if it is, it’s loving stupid.

They were originally pronouncing Nana wrong, unintentionally, probably. Then they fixed the pronunciation of Nana but started botching Visitor, probably to piss off the people who corrected them about Nana :confused:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

womb with a view posted:

Spock was the 'first of his kind' in starfleet, but there were a bunch of Vulcans in Starfleet. I guess he was the first half-human-half-vulcan in Starfleet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeJF posted:

Spock was the 'first of his kind' in starfleet, but there were a bunch of Vulcans in Starfleet. I guess he was the first half-human-half-vulcan in Starfleet.
Lucky Bones didn't try to call him a vulatto

If this was from early TOS I feel like it kind of got soft retconned. It is interesting that TOS seemed to mostly segregate crews by species, although there'd be some logic to it from a life support point of view.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Especially in Season 1, TOS was really inconsistent about what exactly Starfleet and the Federation were. You could watch TOS and come to the conclusion that the Federation was something like NATO or the UN, and Earth was a soverign member of the alliance.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

nmx posted:

They were originally pronouncing Nana wrong, unintentionally, probably. Then they fixed the pronunciation of Nana but started botching Visitor, probably to piss off the people who corrected them about Nana :confused:

How do you pronounce her name? In all my time, I’ve actually only ever seen it written down. I’m assuming Nar-nuh and then Visitor like the actual word?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Happy First Contact Eve everyone. Anyone got any plans?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Happy First Contact Eve everyone. Anyone got any plans?

Oh, I was gonna make that T’Plana Hath cake with fondant Zephram like I do every year.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The_Doctor posted:

How do you pronounce her name? In all my time, I’ve actually only ever seen it written down. I’m assuming Nar-nuh and then Visitor like the actual word?

Apparently exactly how it looks. I don't know where you're getting the R from though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBNHwmz_pHA&t=14s

I don't know anything about the rest of that video. Just looking for the pronunciation.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Most people default to pronuncing it with the emphasis on the first syllable. Like "banana" without the "ba".

(da bang da bang diggy diggy diggy shake the boogie said up jump the boogie)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pakled posted:

Especially in Season 1, TOS was really inconsistent about what exactly Starfleet and the Federation were. You could watch TOS and come to the conclusion that the Federation was something like NATO or the UN, and Earth was a soverign member of the alliance.
In one episode I think Kirk says they work for the UESPA (a made up Earth agency), or something to that effect

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

CaveGrinch posted:

So what’s with the Greatest Generation guys completely butchering Nana Visitor’s name every drat time they say it?

They mentioned in an early DS9 episode that it is apparently pronounced "Nah-nah"?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm glad Enterprise is continuing to support the "Section 31 is dangerously incompetent and a bigger threat to Earth than the Borg and Dominion combined" interpretation.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

In one episode I think Kirk says they work for the UESPA (a made up Earth agency), or something to that effect

Yeah, he used that title in conversation with Capt. Christopher in Tomorrow Is Yesterday.

But (possible unpopular opinion incoming) I honestly think fans get too hung up on that. It's likely that UESPA is just an older/olden term for Starfleet that had mostly vanished by Picard's time. Kirk probably said it to Christopher because he didn't want to confuse him or give away too much about the future.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In Enterprise, there's some background decorations that indicates that the series's Earth Starfleet is part of United Earth Space Probe Agency.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Yeah, he used that title in conversation with Capt. Christopher in Tomorrow Is Yesterday.

But (possible unpopular opinion incoming) I honestly think fans get too hung up on that. It's likely that UESPA is just an older/olden term for Starfleet that had mostly vanished by Picard's time. Kirk probably said it to Christopher because he didn't want to confuse him or give away too much about the future.

So was this just Kirk loving up and not knowing the UESPA didn't exist yet in Christopher's time anyway.

Like when Tom Paris tried to tell Sarah Silverman that he was chasing Soviet spies in 1995

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

VitalSigns posted:

So was this just Kirk loving up and not knowing the UESPA didn't exist yet in Christopher's time anyway.

Like when Tom Paris tried to tell Sarah Silverman that he was chasing Soviet spies in 1995

If he explained the nature of it too much, it might have given Christopher too many details about the future and inadvertently changed the timeline. I think that's why he referred to UESPA instead of Starfleet.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

VitalSigns posted:

no this was the series writers not yet having come up with The Federation or Starfleet at that point in TOS production

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Maybe there’s only like 50 million Bajorans. Do we ever get a population figure?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

marktheando posted:

Maybe there’s only like 50 million Bajorans. Do we ever get a population figure?

From Memory Alpha: 3.8 billion Bajorans lived on Bajor in 2378

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

If he explained the nature of it too much, it might have given Christopher too many details about the future and inadvertently changed the timeline. I think that's why he referred to UESPA instead of Starfleet.

Except in that episode, Kirk doesn't seem to care about this at first and is happy explaining everything to Christopher and giving him the grand tour of the ship until Spock is like "hey captain, maybe loving up our own timeline might be a bad idea" and Kirk is like "drat, yeah."