Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Maybe bigger weapons eat multiple hardpoints? Probably they won't.

I don't believe so. Unless they've changed it so you can stick MGs in both ballistic and support hardpoints, but I doubt they've done that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They do not. Its probably just a holdover from basing their hardpoints off MWO's weapon options since they dependent on the mech's model/graphic details.

That would make sense, if they want to be able to have the models reflect the loadout

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Having not played a lick of the actual game yet, how much improvement does the Shadow Hawk merit if your rip out the JJs and replace the SRM-2 with an SRM-4 and a half ton of armor?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Strobe posted:

Having not played a lick of the actual game yet, how much improvement does the Shadow Hawk merit if your rip out the JJs and replace the SRM-2 with an SRM-4 and a half ton of armor?

Given that SRM2s are (so far) agreed to be the last truly lovely weapon in Battletech, it would probably be an improvement overall.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

An SRM2 is bad if its your only SRM, but since SRMs and LRMs can now share ammo across different launcher sizes*, filling in the last bit of tonnage with an SRM2 isn't a terrible if you already have some other SRMs.

* This was a pretty common house rule in Tabletop

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

sebmojo posted:

I think they just let you repair exploded limbs, and manage getting new robots through getting scrap. I vaguely recall isildur saying they had a plan for looting body parts but cut it as too complex?
Yeah there was a whole idea i had for salvaging each piece individually. We never implemented it because we realized how obnoxious it was going to be. So instead we went to 8 'mech parts', which was just making the individual pieces generic, instead of requiring specifically 'one left arm' and 'one right torso', to reduce the obnoxiousness.

After a lot of playtesting, we figured out that you just simply couldn't upgrade your lance. Like you'd get through half the game with still just your starter 'Mechs, and 5/8 of every other 'Mech in the setting. So we lowered the number to 5, playtested more, and then lowered it to 3.

Now I think you get a few too many 'Mechs, but I'm okay with it because it makes the game more fun and gives you more options.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Do you get fewer RoBits on harder difficulties?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

There is no difficulty settings afaik, difficulty is controlled by just taking higher skull rated contracts.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

isildur posted:

Yeah there was a whole idea i had for salvaging each piece individually. We never implemented it because we realized how obnoxious it was going to be. So instead we went to 8 'mech parts', which was just making the individual pieces generic, instead of requiring specifically 'one left arm' and 'one right torso', to reduce the obnoxiousness.

After a lot of playtesting, we figured out that you just simply couldn't upgrade your lance. Like you'd get through half the game with still just your starter 'Mechs, and 5/8 of every other 'Mech in the setting. So we lowered the number to 5, playtested more, and then lowered it to 3.

Now I think you get a few too many 'Mechs, but I'm okay with it because it makes the game more fun and gives you more options.

I'm sure people will mod it to change how many parts you need.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
If 3 is too much and 5 is not enough then why not 4?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

If 3 is too much and 5 is not enough then why not 4?

“It makes the game more fun”

Literally in the same post

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
While salvage and the mechlab seem to be getting most of the attention. One other thing for sanity streamlining cited as "Not wanting to punish people for getting better mechs". Maintenance is a universal flat rate for mechs in active mechbays :buddy: Though I expect the fees for actually having more active mechbays to be where you feel the pain, at least you won't be nickle and dimed just for having the nerve to keep a heavier mech on standby.

I've also been reminding myself that if we end up seeing traditional "Pay for upgrades, that will let pay for upgrades!" buying power for your ship, it probably won't involve digging for thermal vents in your own basement or praying for exposed wires in a favorable position and let us just throw money at the problem :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 4, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Section Z posted:

While salvage and the mechlab seem to be getting most of the attention. One other thing for sanity streamlining cited as "Not wanting to punish people for getting better mechs". Maintenance is a universal flat rate for mechs in active mechbays :buddy: Though I expect the fees for actually having more active mechbays to be where you feel the pain, at least you won't be nickle and dimed just for having the nerve to keep a heavier mech on standby.

I've also been reminding myself that if we end up seeing traditional "Pay for upgrades, that will let pay for upgrades!" buying power for your ship, it probably won't involve digging for thermal vents in your own basement or praying for exposed wires in a favorable position and let us just throw money at the problem :v:

Yeah that's how it works.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Section Z posted:

From what we've seen of the ship upgrading on the stream, it's basically a list of upgrades (Power 1, Power 2, Power 3/Hab 1, Hab 2, Hab 3/MechBay 1, Mechbay 2, Mechbay 3/Tech 1, Tech 2, Tech 3 etc etc) that each have an initial cost, adds to monthly upkeep, and with requirements (f.ex. Power 1 seems to be a pre-req for a lot of other upgrades). Of course the interface makes it look better than that, and apparently upgrades will be visible on the ship model which sounds cool as heck. And the different upgrades seem to come up frequently in random events as well.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Antilles posted:

From what we've seen of the ship upgrading on the stream, it's basically a list of upgrades (Power 1, Power 2, Power 3/Hab 1, Hab 2, Hab 3/MechBay 1, Mechbay 2, Mechbay 3/Tech 1, Tech 2, Tech 3 etc etc) that each have an initial cost, adds to monthly upkeep, and with requirements (f.ex. Power 1 seems to be a pre-req for a lot of other upgrades). Of course the interface makes it look better than that, and apparently upgrades will be visible on the ship model which sounds cool as heck. And the different upgrades seem to come up frequently in random events as well.

Considering the whole setting I think it's probably going to be less 'hey this ship is visibly blinging up as I upgrade it' and more 'hey so there's no longer a visible gaping hole in the secondary cargo bay'. Fully upgraded Argo is basically a factory-fresh Argo.

isildur posted:

It is incredibly refreshing to see devs whose heads aren't firmly stuck up their own asses up to the goddamned sternum. Can't wait to play the game myself!

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

SRM 2s work great when loaded with specialty missiles and used to light things on fire to dig out infantry, make blocking smoke, or illuminate things. On vehicles, you dont care about heat at all, so 6 SRM2s vs 2 SRM6s allow more attack checks to see if you hit. Or bukake inferno missiles all over every tree in range to set down a huge amount of smoke and fire and have the wind spread it. As a combat weapon, gently caress that.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

winterwerefox posted:

SRM 2s work great when loaded with specialty missiles and used to light things on fire to dig out infantry, make blocking smoke, or illuminate things. On vehicles, you dont care about heat at all, so 6 SRM2s vs 2 SRM6s allow more attack checks to see if you hit. Or bukake inferno missiles all over every tree in range to set down a huge amount of smoke and fire and have the wind spread it. As a combat weapon, gently caress that.

So you’re improvising a Buratino into the setting. Nice!

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Pirate Radar posted:

So you’re improvising a Buratino into the setting. Nice!

Had to look up what a Buratino was, and yes, that is pretty much it. A SRM carrier with a heavier chassis and inferno missiles. I modified the Vedette chassis by pulling the AC/5 and machinegun and putting in 1 ton of inferno and standard srm ammo to feed 8 SRM 2s in a turret. Seeing as I had so many captured in MekHQ, using Vedettes was pretty easy choice. You can independently target 8 hexes for burning, target one with 16 tubes explosive, mix and match targets by need. the tank is decently fast at 5/8 vs srm carrier at 3/5, better armored than a srm carrier, but hugely less armed with 16 tubes vs 60. If you lose one, who cares, its a Vedette loaded with very cheap weapons and an ICE engine. All you are out is refit time for a mechanic.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

Zaodai posted:

I found the reason HBS is releasing this on the 24th. They're trying to beat a superior mech business simulator to the market that is releasing on the 27th:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/674890/Mechsprofit_Mech_Tycoon_Simulator/

quote:

We backed the wrong game!

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Getting pretty hype for this game.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

OB_Juan posted:

Getting pretty hype for this game.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I just pre-ordered this because of my deep love of MechWarrior and Battletech in general. The videos I've watched so far make this seem like a really up to date MechCommander, would that be a fair comparison?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Aramoro posted:

I just pre-ordered this because of my deep love of MechWarrior and Battletech in general. The videos I've watched so far make this seem like a really up to date MechCommander, would that be a fair comparison?

Mech Commander is an RTS that plays VERY fast and loose with essential things like load-outs and gameplay compared to the Table Top or Mechwarrior games. Battletech is a turn-based game that falls more in line with the TT version with a few much needed adjustments.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The game would be more in line with XCOM than MechCommander.
:goonsay:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Back Hack posted:

Mech Commander is an RTS that plays VERY fast and loose with essential things like load-outs and gameplay compared to the Table Top or Mechwarrior games. Battletech is a turn-based game that falls more in line with the TT version with a few much needed adjustments.

It's turn-based combat rather than real time, but it's still controlling a full lance, taking cash paying missions and salvaging to upgrade your lance. Being more in line with Battletech is a good thing in a lot of ways, except for the Battletech grogs of course.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
i havent been this pumped for a dumb video game in years

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Same, I don't think I can remember this hype since Skyrim. Granted Skyrim was higher because TES is my favorite franchise, but it's nice to know I can still get giddy like a kid again.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

sebmojo posted:

Yeah that's how it works.

Antilles posted:

Sweet. I love the 'ant farm' idea, but dancing around power placements so you could get to the cool stuff faster always felt like busywork in new X-com compared to "Hey, did you know not spacing your science labs on opposite ends of the base means scientists do science better?" Straight list of base/ship upgrades can be a good thing sometimes.

I also get the horrible fear commandos will dig into my base to punish cramming generators into a compact cube I just can't shake from Evil Genius :tinfoil:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

You don't have to worry about that until we get the event editor so I can mod in the Space Bear Attack event.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zaodai posted:

You don't have to worry about that until we get the event editor so I can mod in the Space Bear Attack event.
I will take that risk if it also means I can defend the Argo with rooms full of bees and giant fans that lead back to said rooms full of bees.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Bears are used to dealing with bees, it's how they get all that delicious honey! Your plan will only make them stronger!

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Did this guy never watch Winnie the Pooh?! What a scrub.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You see a vast shadow fall over the Argo, and echoing in your minds like the echo of an ancient filth the last words you hear....
Oh Bother

So do we get a unit painter, or are the colors all set?

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
You can pick 3 unit colors, but the pattern is fixed by mech chassis. Therefore all Shadow Hawks have the same pattern, but different color combinations.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Eh that's better than nuthin.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Don't we get a special Shadow Hawk skin for preordiering? And the backers get a Backer Atlas. so presumably at some point there will be an option to choose what skin your mech gets in addition to the colors.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Presumably they're using the textures from MWO along with the models, in which case the work has already been done for them.

Obviously this could also be 100% false.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Zaodai posted:

Don't we get a special Shadow Hawk skin for preordiering? And the backers get a Backer Atlas. so presumably at some point there will be an option to choose what skin your mech gets in addition to the colors.

yep. all pre-orders and all KS backers get the Shadow Hawk skin, $50-and-above KS backers get the backer Atlas skin, AND I GET MY KING CRAB WHEN, ISILDUR??? ;)

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I think my favorite part of all the ad stuff for the game I've seen is that it seems like the people making it really get what's cool about Battletech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

OB_Juan posted:

I think my favorite part of all the ad stuff for the game I've seen is that it seems like the people making it really get what's cool about Battletech.

Is it the giant humanoid warmachines that shoot at and punch other giant warmachines?