Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I thought I was done buying physical comics for good but I happened upon a chance to get the Infinity Gauntlet slipcase for an absurd price and I could not say no. I'm a huge Starlin fan so it just felt right. Now to figure out where to put this giant 40 pound thing at.

The multi volume one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

The multi volume one?

Yeah it's a huge box with a bunch of hardcovers in it. Basically all of Gauntlet/War/Crusade plus all the lead ins, tie ins, and aftermath books. And a volume with What Ifs, Thanos Annual, Secret Wars: Infinity Gauntlet, and some other random stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Yeah it's a huge box with a bunch of hardcovers in it. Basically all of Gauntlet/War/Crusade plus all the lead ins, tie ins, and aftermath books. And a volume with What Ifs, Thanos Annual, Secret Wars: Infinity Gauntlet, and some other random stuff.

Nice, was the price around half retail?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Nice, was the price around half retail?

I'm not sure what retail is but I got it for $225 and thought it was a steal. All the hardcovers were still wrapped too. He said he planned on reading it eventually but didn't really have time and wanted it out the way. The thing is huge so I understand that sentiment.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I'm not sure what retail is but I got it for $225 and thought it was a steal. All the hardcovers were still wrapped too. He said he planned on reading it eventually but didn't really have time and wanted it out the way. The thing is huge so I understand that sentiment.

Yeah, loving steal dude. Good score! SRP was $500.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The hardcovers are printed and don't have dust jackets. It's like they were designed from my dreams. I hate dust jackets so much.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Crazy the guy sold it so cheap mere weeks before the movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

The hardcovers are printed and don't have dust jackets. It's like they were designed from my dreams. I hate dust jackets so much.

Those are my jam. I wish the entire industry did that as the norm.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Infinity Gauntlet as a story doesn't really grab me but a large format presentation would be so cool for all those cosmic battles. Those spreads could almost be poster-sized. Hm...

"Um honey, what's that above our bed?"
"Ok, so, there's this part of Infinity Gauntlet when they're like, literally throwing planet after planet at Thanos and Ron Lim is just at the height of his powers here..."

Edit: Oh wait. Don't know why I thought it was those huge hardcovers like DC's Absolute editions.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 4, 2018

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Ooh pics please! Love the Guantlet!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Crazy the guy sold it so cheap mere weeks before the movie.

Well I've known him for a while as I used to work with him so it wasn't like a total stranger out of the blue or something. I was at his house a couple weeks before Christmas when I first saw it sitting in his office and got a look at it. He also wanted to sell me a set just like it for Civil War, which I politely declined of course.

hadji murad posted:

Ooh pics please! Love the Guantlet!

I will when I have it in hand. He lives about 45 minutes away from me and that is not an after work drive I plan on taking during the week. I'll probably pick it up Saturday or Sunday.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

X-O posted:

Well I've known him for a while as I used to work with him so it wasn't like a total stranger out of the blue or something. I was at his house a couple weeks before Christmas when I first saw it sitting in his office and got a look at it. He also wanted to sell me a set just like it for Civil War, which I politely declined of course.

It makes me think of the big AvX boxed set I keep seeing behind the counter of a local Half Price Books, which fills me with a strange sense of pity. "Oh, you poor thing, why did they bring you into this world? Who would do this?"

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

The Question IRL posted:

I don't think people were annoyed that the Human Torch likes fast cars.

More the dumb and contrived plot that Johnny is bad with said cars and makes them explode. So his dad punishes him by putting him in charge of a super secret government lab.

Johnny Storm liking racing and working with his hands is good. Having those be the defining traits of a Black Johnny Storm who needs to learn responsibility, coincidentally the same lesson that Jax, Wally, and motherfuckin’ Pete Ross have all had to learn, repeatedly, is sweaty. Having his dad outright tell him “I need you here to weld together our super secret teleportation project so you’ll stay out of trouble and also you weld good I guess.” is bad.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Marvel Two-In-One continues to deliver, but Emma Frost and Norrin Radd is a fuckin weird couple that feels like it's there just because they didn't have room for another page or two of Johnny and Ben catching up with yet another close friend

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 4, 2018

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

Apparently two issues of the new Lockjaw book have come out, but no one seems to be talking about it? Seems like a bad sign. I was hoping to see some reactions before checking it out. It has D-Man. And the Savage Land. Still not a peep?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Luchacabra posted:

Apparently two issues of the new Lockjaw book have come out, but no one seems to be talking about it? Seems like a bad sign. I was hoping to see some reactions before checking it out. It has D-Man. And the Savage Land. Still not a peep?

It's got some good gags, but it's nothing amazing

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's not as funny as Howard or USG but it's alright

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Today's anw

Coulda done without Tom naming Gabby's husband after himself tho that's kinda creepy

site fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 4, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

Today's anw

Coulda done without Tom naming Gabby's husband after himself tho that's kinda creepy

:hai:

I would vote for her.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/981622937236197376

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
my heart says yes but my head says yes

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

site posted:

I was distracted for a second by Gabby mentioning "our kids" in a conversation with Laura, which made it initially read like Gabby and Laura had kids together. Gabby's husband being named Taylor didn't even register.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Geez, the new Starlin Thanos book is 99 cents on Comixology on day one. That's nuts.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I think it got lumped in with the $0.99 trades. So I nabbed because it Alan Davis art, it can't be that bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Geez, the new Starlin Thanos book is 99 cents on Comixology on day one. That's nuts.

Seems to be happening with new releases more and more.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

I feel like saying "that's nuts" could apply to both the pricing and the contents of the book.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Is this the Future Punisher Ghost Rider or a different Ghost Rider?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
didnt starlin quit like a month or so back? so is this the last of his thanos story?

pubic works project posted:

Is this the Future Punisher Ghost Rider or a different Ghost Rider?

from the image and since its from cates im guessing its cosmic punisher

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

site posted:

Today's anw

Isn't Taylor usually a feminine first name? Still a bit weird, though.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

site posted:

didnt starlin quit like a month or so back? so is this the last of his thanos story?

from the image and since its from cates im guessing its cosmic punisher

FInally got to read the article. It's Frank.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Isn't Taylor usually a feminine first name? Still a bit weird, though.

It's my wife's name but I've known 4-5 guys with it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

I mean he said he did and then suddenly a new two part OGN series turned into a trilogy so who knows?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

taylor's like morgan or alex or w/e else. unisex

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if gabbys gay thatd be heckin sweet

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm pretty sure she mentions having a crush on a girl in X-Men Red, although I could have just been misreading that scene. I haven't been keeping up on ANW.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Seems to be happening with new releases more and more.

All trades (and now OGNs, I guess) have been 99c on release day for a month now.
I asked in the Comic Shop thread, but have you heard anything from retailers about that? Any complaining on Twitter? I'd probably be pissed at my $20~ RRP stock having to compete with a buck.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 4, 2018

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Android Blues posted:

I'm pretty sure she mentions having a crush on a girl in X-Men Red, although I could have just been misreading that scene. I haven't been keeping up on ANW.

she's figuring it out. Because Logan and Wade (aww) are Gabby's biological kids, I think it's likely Taylor (eww) is a dude, but I think it was pretty deliberate how in the conversation with Laura neither ever uses "he" or "she", and the name is today considered gender-neutral, so really it could be either way and the Old Laura arc probably will not answer it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

All trades (and now OGNs, I guess) have been 99c on release day for a month now.
I asked in the Comic Shop thread, but have you heard anything from retailers about that? Any complaining on Twitter? I'd probably be pissed at my $20~ RRP stock having to compete with a buck.

Oh yeah, my old boss is PISSED.

But they're kind of being lovely to me now so I stopped giving a gently caress.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Manatee Cannon posted:

taylor's like morgan or alex or w/e else. unisex

Definitely deliberate. A waitress I see every week is named Taylor, and so is the guy I grew up across the street from. But which one of them married Gabby?

I'm not a big fan of future stories. Mostly cause I know it'll never "actually" come to pass in the MU. Reminds me of the I wanna say X-Force panel where Deadpool tells someone he doesn't give a poo poo about their stupid never-gonna-happen future. Still: can't help but wonder if this is the payoff to "oh no, Old Man Logan killed Gabby, no wait he didn't, but he says Gabby's gonna kill Laura!?" from earlier in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
Have Warren and Laura split up, or are they just saying Julian is her true love?

• Locked thread