Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Bringing back Shae and Nico is a good move. Much nicer to start alts with an insta companion.

Now if only they'd give us another chance at getting the HK story mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

is there anything that gets locked after you finish the available missions in KOTET? Mostly I'm looking at the star fortresses that i'm still working on. I want to know if those are always available to finish later or if there's a point where they get locked, kind of like what happens if you don't finish main quest stuff before starting in on KOTFE.

You can do star fortresses anytime. I think them and the alliance alerts are always available.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Medullah posted:

Members of That's No Goon and Goon Squad.

It's time for another :siren::siren:CONTEST!:siren::siren:

It's often said that Goons can't accomplish anything. I don't believe that to be true, so this contest is proving that you can accomplish something. In this case, accomplish...anything. For entry into this contest, all you need to do is get an achievement. Any achievement. Take a screenshot of the achievement when you get it (print screen is unreliable, I'd recommend using the built in Windows Snipping Tool).

We'll do random draw for who chooses first, BUT if you do the achievements in a group, that group will roll first. More people in the group, earlier you roll. So make sure to take a screenshot of your group composition with other goons.

A few really nice prizes were donated including the new Dark Honor whip sword and vented saber.

(hint - if you want to be lazy and get a quick achievement you can start a new character on a different server and complete the starter planet for any class)

Started from the announcement with cheevo points at 17400.

Ran a lfg Uprising with a guy who kept dying to standing in fire. He kept asking for combat rez but honestly we were better off with me just focus burning down the boss so I feigned ignorance of having a combat rez :D I'm terrible, but, goon is in the name

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

finally beat the jedi consular storyline, bringing me up to... 2/8 classes finished in the 6ish years I've been playing this game. Leveling these days makes me regret all the time I wasted doing bonus series quests way back. :v:

The story itself obviously never reached the same highs as the Agent's, but I really enjoyed it overall. Its first act has one of the more interesting "go to four planets and do these four formulaic things" hooks; and I enjoyed the other two acts just stuffing my ship with NPCs. As a character the consular is probably the most understated in the game, but I still found a lot to appreciate there - tactically deploying jedi sayings to the consternation of everyone was fun, they have a pretty good (but very dry) sense of humor at parts, and sometimes you just wanna be a cool and serene magic rock-throwing lady who talks good. Qyzen is one of the most unique companions in the game for being an alien that actually feels alien while still being a cool bro, and he never left my side.

Unfortunately, as much as I appreciate the expedited experience, I wish it hadn't come at the cost of making the story's final boss take about as much effort to beat as a no-name gold mob. bit of an anticlimax

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I barely remember the ending to the Consular story. Is that the one where you murder some dude in a basement? Because that one felt pretty abrupt.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Bilirubin posted:

Started from the announcement with cheevo points at 17400.

Ran a lfg Uprising with a guy who kept dying to standing in fire. He kept asking for combat rez but honestly we were better off with me just focus burning down the boss so I feigned ignorance of having a combat rez :D I'm terrible, but, goon is in the name

I'll allow it this time, but the contest is for screenshots of people getting achievements and not their achievement screen. :P

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Preechr posted:

I barely remember the ending to the Consular story. Is that the one where you murder some dude in a basement? Because that one felt pretty abrupt.

I think it was a cave, and it actually had a mechanic you needed to pay attention to, making it the hardest boss fight in the game

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Medullah posted:

I'll allow it this time, but the contest is for screenshots of people getting achievements and not their achievement screen. :P

:P Not like it is even close to yours!

(I hit the wrong buttons and thought the date stamp would suffice)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think it was a cave, and it actually had a mechanic you needed to pay attention to, making it the hardest boss fight in the game

I remember the stress building when that fight approached, and read up on it ahead of time, but it went fine. There was an earlier fight though, that you had to LOS the bad guy, that was an enormous PITA

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Mechanic = Use your interrupt once in the fight.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Mechanic = Use your interrupt once in the fight.

Hardest fight in the game

Portus
Sep 11, 2013
Just in case someone wants a referral.

http://www.swtor.com/r/R3LntD

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Hardest fight in the game

I'll admit the first time I did it I didn't interrupt, but that was largely due to power leveling through 12x XP and not paying too much attention to the fight.

I imagine you probably don't even need to interrupt anymore, your companion will probably tear him up before he gets a chance.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

I'll admit the first time I did it I didn't interrupt, but that was largely due to power leveling through 12x XP and not paying too much attention to the fight.

I imagine you probably don't even need to interrupt anymore, your companion will probably tear him up before he gets a chance.

Yep, I have finished the Consular story couple of months ago, and at level 70 (because why you wouldn't be max level) the fight was over almost as soon as it started.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Got this game last week, and I just unlocked the first flashpoint. I'm curious how tanking works in this game (playing as a Jedi Guardian if that matters).

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I haven't gotten any achievements lately. I hope I can get one before the contest ends!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

SirPhoebos posted:

Got this game last week, and I just unlocked the first flashpoint. I'm curious how tanking works in this game (playing as a Jedi Guardian if that matters).

Works like any other MMO? Hold aggro, hope for heals :) Now sure I follow your question.

Each class of tank works differently, I have only tanked with a Shadow/Assassin and that is really super fun with all of the cooldowns--its basically an evasion/mitigation tank. I am leveling a merc/trooper tank now and its more of a "get beat on and live" sort of thing.

Faster to level as DPS with DPS companion though, then change over when you hit max level.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Recently got back into playing this. Been running around finishing up some stuff I had never done and leveling everyone to 70. Here's the screen shot for the contest.

If anyone feels like doing Kaon Under Siege, let me know - been trying to get that done since it launched. I'm aware it's a huge pain in the rear end. I'm happy to offer cartel market stuff in trade for the help.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Guys,

I did it...

I got an achievement...

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

cheevo pic for the cheevo gods

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Nipponophile posted:

Guys,

I did it...

I got an achievement...

:toot:

e. here is one that abides by the rules...

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 4, 2018

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hennimore wept, because there were no more achievements left to achieve

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jedi posted:

If anyone feels like doing Kaon Under Siege, let me know - been trying to get that done since it launched. I'm aware it's a huge pain in the rear end. I'm happy to offer cartel market stuff in trade for the help.

I can run it with you this weekend most likely, if you're playing. Just let me know when you'd be around.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear
Contest Screenshot:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Medullah posted:

I can run it with you this weekend most likely, if you're playing. Just let me know when you'd be around.

same, I ran it a few times on normal and HM when it first came out, but that was in the preachievement time so I only have one random boss showing as down in both difficulty levels. Same with Lost Island, which is really annoying given how much of a pain in the dick that was in HM when it first came out

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Nipponophile posted:

Guys,

I did it...

I got an achievement...

I have to ask, what was your last car you needed to get?

e. Tersa Prime, I can read.

What was the hardest to get?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Probably the one that's a random drop from the last bosses of 4 HM flashpoints that nobody runs anymore.

Or maybe the one that drops from Kephess in Nightmare Explosive Conflict. We barely scraped together enough people to run that overleveled before the mandatory level sync was added, and even then we wiped several times to mechanics.

Maybe one of the cartel market exclusive ones that I had to track down after they left common circulation, but before old packs started coming back on the market.

It could be the one that requires a bunch of world boss, including multiple Nightmare Pilgrim, kills. I can't even imagine trying to get that done these days.

Though honestly it's probably the one that was locked behind maximum space fleet reputation. I can't even explain how garbage the heroic space missions are, yet I wound up with two characters' ships in full grade 7 gear specifically for running them.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

goddamn. I hate the space missions so much.

I still have that world boss one sitting idle on my repub tank. Didn't pick it up until AFTER we had ran all the bosses of course :cripes:

How long did you have to camp in CZ to get that Dessler?

I mean when I looked at that achievement I went "lol nope" but since you posted I discovered a few are relatively easily finished. I'll never have it though

edit: lol 25 points

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 4, 2018

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

This reminds me of running the Section X boss to get the masks for the Nightmare Pilgrim, and a couple of guild mates got into some sort of bullshit contest where they kept applying the buffs to the boss, "I will!" No, I did!" "hahaha nope, I already did" and then our raid leader cut in with "uh, guys? He's glowing really bright, maybe stop?"

Eventually we got him down but I think it cost me like a million in repairs

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

How long did you have to camp in CZ to get that Dessler?

I didn't camp that one at all. I just got in the habit of checking the spawn every time I ran through there doing the weekly for rep or conquest or whatever. Eventually, it showed up.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

When does the contest end?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

M_Sinistrari posted:

When does the contest end?

Uhhh I'm having my gallbladder removed on 4/18 so let's end the contest 4/16 in case I die in surgery.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Picked this up having not played since... 2012. I have an old agent I did some raids on back then but his gear isn't relevant for the new level cap so decided I'd level up a sith warrior.

It's... Not great? The main story campaign from back during release is really showing its age and the arbitrary padding of quests and bonus objectives is sort of annoying. I got to level 50 and I'm running around Illum but my question is does the quest experience get better? Is the expansion content not such a loving slog with every side quest a grind?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Pretty much everything past Illium is utterly lacking in side quests. It's just straight main quests.

Now, some people hate the expansion stories. I think they're OK but not great, but there are some people who REALLY hate the KOTFE/KOTET plots.

YMMV

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Pretty much everything past Illium is utterly lacking in side quests. It's just straight main quests.

Now, some people hate the expansion stories. I think they're OK but not great, but there are some people who REALLY hate the KOTFE/KOTET plots.

YMMV

This is me. I still follow this thread, but KOTFE killed everything I found interesting about the story and setting of TOR in favor of a super-railroady plot with lame villains and endless beige and grey corridors filled with skytroopers.

Every once in a while I think about resubbing just for the 1-50 stories, maybe up through Shadow of Revan as well, but KOTFE is just terrible.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Medullah posted:

Uhhh I'm having my gallbladder removed on 4/18 so let's end the contest 4/16 in case I die in surgery.

Ugh sorry to hear it. Hopefully you aren't having huge digestive issues or pain and will recover to your ultimo fat prime rib eating ways soon

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I didn't really hate the new storylines until the "traitor" plot where I felt like it jumped the shark real hard. What I did hate is the lack of replayability. I've played most of the class stories at least twice, some of them way more than that, and I still felt like they offered something new when you play a different character and make different choices. I played KOTFE one time with a Jedi Knight... and basically just stopped playing SWTOR after that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
KOTFE also feels really jarring to play it as a non-Force class, in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if the Force classes do overwhelmingly dominate the player base, but I first played through it on my Imperial Agent and it was really obvious that the story just plain was written for a different kind of character.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cythereal posted:

KOTFE also feels really jarring to play it as a non-Force class, in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if the Force classes do overwhelmingly dominate the player base, but I first played through it on my Imperial Agent and it was really obvious that the story just plain was written for a different kind of character.

That is really noticeable, yeah. It's like they didn't even really try to write a story that would make sense for a non-force user (which is annoying because the base game was pretty good about making you feel like a scrappy veteran who could hang with the big dogs without having to join the space wizard club).

Also that sucks Medullah, hope it's a quick recovery :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

KOTFE is fun when it centers on the returning companions, but all the other poo poo is just kinda... there.