Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bip Roberts posted:

Am I missing something?
About 15 million North Koreans apparently. They better get busy if they want to get the population up to 40m any time soon.

Bip Roberts posted:

In that case it sounds like nukes not only add extra deterrence to invasions they add deterrence to taking measures that destabilize the regime either by China or the US and probably increase the overall stability of the region.
That's one way to look at it. A stable Kim regime in perpetuity is a pretty sorry best case scenario though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

About 15 million North Koreans apparently. They better get busy if they want to get the population up to 40m any time soon.

That's one way to look at it. A stable Kim regime in perpetuity is a pretty sorry best case scenario though.

Build a war around North Korea and make them pay for it (by stopping all the foreign aid they’re only getting irregularly in the first place).

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

If you believe the estimate of 25 mil lol this number accounts for half of nk. Population census based on infrastructure capabilities doesnt account for labor camps (5mil) or most rural areaa (another 5 to 6 mil)

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Bip Roberts posted:

Am I missing something?

The fact that LeoMarr is a chicken little shitposter whose only contributions to the thread are tries to push his latest babbys first theory as geopolitical fact :eng101:

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I doubt it can last in perpetuity, no matter what is done to prolong it.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

LeoMarr posted:

40 million north koreans with some disease straina the world hasnt experienced yet,

The country isn’t quarantined you know.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Tias posted:

The fact that LeoMarr is a chicken little shitposter whose only contributions to the thread are tries to push his latest babbys first theory as geopolitical fact :eng101:

Guess we'd better make him a mod then Just put him on ignore, Reddit'll take him in.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

China could absorb a migrant crisis, and nobody but them was interested in bailing out Kim to prevent that. A dozen or more turnkey ICBMs disappearing is a much bigger problem for countries not within rafting distance of North Korea.
Could is one thing, would is definitely another - assuming a safe guess of 2-3 mil refugees (Not everyone's going to run, not everyone's going to survive to run, and not everyone's going to survive the inevitable patrols on the far side of the Yalu) and China's past record with minorities within their borders, we're looking at one hell of a clusterfuck.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Bip Roberts posted:

Am I missing something?

the evil workers' party has injected every person in the dprk with superstrains of all diseases known to man, making the entire population a vector for a pandemic

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://twitter.com/dkdktv92/status/980619116779155456

Red Velvet Perform for North Korean Leader Kim Jong-Un in Rare Pyongyang Concert

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

fishmech posted:

This is bullshit. Nukes ain't doing anything for them conventional wasn't, besides incur ever spiraling sanctions.

It's already gotten Kim face-to-face with Xi and soon with Trump, which would not have happened otherwise.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LeoMarr posted:

NK needed nukes as a gurator that a "popular" overthrow would still result in an omega level response.

No they don't.

Mozi posted:

It's already gotten Kim face-to-face with Xi and soon with Trump, which would not have happened otherwise.

Kim Jong Il and Kim Il Sung got plenty of face time with world leaders, especially PRC leaders. And Trump's only doing this because Trump is a gigantic moron.

Like are we just going to pretend Kim Jong Il didn't meet up with Hu Jintao and Jiang Zemin on several occasions when they were in charge in the PRC? Hell a lot of the news stories about Kim Jong Un meeting Xi explicitly show a file photo of Kim Jong Il meeting a Chinese leader, eg

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fishmech posted:

Like are we just going to pretend Kim Jong Il didn't meet up with Hu Jintao and Jiang Zemin on several occasions when they were in charge in the PRC? Hell a lot of the news stories about Kim Jong Un meeting Xi explicitly show a file photo of Kim Jong Il meeting a Chinese leader, eg

Yes because why bother checking up on any claims for their veracity?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

LeoMarr posted:

40 million north koreans with some disease straina the world hasnt experienced yet,

I know you're already being mocked for this, but which Unexperienced Diseases do you furiously imagine are apparently being housed in the DPRK?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

awesome interactions

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Zas posted:

awesome interactions

Twas a bit surreal...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcjqVlKrr0g

Personally, if I was Moon Jae-in I'd send in the heavy artillery (Sohyang) to sing Arirang Alone (for the re-unification of the peninsula).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFyndK9VOCk

If they failed to comply even after the Han overdose she'd unleash, there really is no way for Korea to unite..

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 3, 2018

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/zachjcarter/status/981144585647910912

Tias
May 25, 2008

Yeah, no. I mean, it's tempting to blame the US for everything that goes wrong in the world (often, you'd be right), but US forces did not "back" massacres. There were 6 americans and a lovely USN patrol ship or two around, and while they documented massacres, they did not participate.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The crowd seems more into it than Laibach for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS78vyLezkc

Dante80 posted:

Personally, if I was Moon Jae-in I'd send in the heavy artillery (Sohyang) to sing Arirang Alone (for the re-unification of the peninsula).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFyndK9VOCk

If they failed to comply even after the Han overdose she'd unleash, there really is no way for Korea to unite..
Wow she really belts it at 2:10. I'm pretty sure you're right. Moon must be saving his big guns for later.

I'm the dude at 4:32.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 3, 2018

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I'm the dude at 4:32.

I'm that dude whenever I listen to her live performances (she is a 40yo gospel singer and cancer survivor).

Another one for North Korea would be something like this from her.

https://vimeo.com/254194327 (vid with subs)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Kavros posted:

I know you're already being mocked for this, but which Unexperienced Diseases do you furiously imagine are apparently being housed in the DPRK?

quote:

infectious disease
In 2003, infectious diseases, such as tuberculosis, malaria, and hepatitis B, were described as endemic to North Korea.[19] An estimated 4.5% of North Koreans had hepatitis B in 2003.[15]

In 2010, Amnesty International reported that North Korea was experiencing a tuberculosis epidemic, with 5% of the population infected with the disease. It attributed this to the “overall deterioration in health and nutrition status of the population as well as the rundown of the public health services”.[16]

In 2010, infections that cause pneumonia and diarrhea were reported to be the leading causes of child death.[20] In 2009, one-third of the school-age children in North Korea were assessed as having diseases caused by intestinal parasites.[21]

I dont suspect some mythic diseases, but Nk is a breeding ground for communicable diseaes. Wiki doesnt talk about MERS and Small pox, but both are prevailent in the country aswell.

Maybe sitting in America wont give you an idea of why this is a concern, but it is. Its a main concern of china, you know the pop density is so high these diseases potentially could cause new outbreaks in the event of a mass migration.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 3, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LeoMarr posted:

Wiki doesnt talk about MERS and Small pox, but both are prevailent in the country aswell.

This is an absolute bonkers claim. Are you coming at this from a you don't know what you are saying angle or a super out there conspiracy website told you this angle?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Tias posted:

Yeah, no. I mean, it's tempting to blame the US for everything that goes wrong in the world (often, you'd be right), but US forces did not "back" massacres. There were 6 americans and a lovely USN patrol ship or two around, and while they documented massacres, they did not participate.

k

http://www.jeju43peace.or.kr/report_eng.pdf

Tias
May 25, 2008

That fount of impartiality, The National Committee for Investigation
of the Truth about the Jeju April 3 Incident :pseudo:

You know, Chomsky himself would spank you for trying to get away with this weak-rear end sourcing.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Yes, that is the name of the committee established by the South Korean govt to investigate the Jeju Massacre

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know why we're getting caught up on that massacre when the U.S. Air Force bombed most of the Korean peninsula flat and then bombed it again.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Because it's the 70th anniversary of the 4.3 uprising, and we can talk about more than one thing

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Oh whoops I'm bad at reading.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I don't know why we're getting caught up on that massacre when the U.S. Air Force bombed most of the Korean peninsula flat and then bombed it again.

Recent experience had shown that bombing people to poo poo was a moderately useful strategy against conquering forces.

The US shouldn't have applied a total war mindset in what was supposedly a police action, but I doubt it could have been avoided, since the military leadership was the same from WWII. And I don't think the US was uniquely guilty. But the anti-communist massacres and arbitrary executions were another matter, indefensible.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This is an absolute bonkers claim. Are you coming at this from a you don't know what you are saying angle or a super out there conspiracy website told you this angle?

You are absolutely right.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Recent experience had shown that bombing people to poo poo was a moderately useful strategy against conquering forces.

what

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LeoMarr posted:

You are absolutely right.

Absolutely right that you made a super extreme claim super casually and that you are actually 1000% wrong, or like "you are absolutely right, it's crazy that they have all this smallpox and the government lizards keep covering it up!" ?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Absolutely right that you made a super extreme claim super casually and that you are actually 1000% wrong, or like "you are absolutely right, it's crazy that they have all this smallpox and the government lizards keep covering it up!" ?

Only North Korean soldiers are vaccinated against Smallpox out of the entire population, Even during the Korean war North Korea experienced outbreaks of the diseases I listed. To your point, The claim that Korea is a cesspit of diseases that are otherwise vaccinated against in developed countries it not extreme in the slightest. 15 Million Koreans with little access to any healthcare what so ever, and you don't have the slightest inkling feeling that there could be a highly contactable area for otherwise preventable diseases that live inside clothes/bedding for long periods of time could EVER occur? come on, what do you imagine happens in rural rear end North Korean villages, they arent living in mansions. they are living in huts. Huge amount of disease is contractable, there isnt much diversity in North Korea so everyone is very similar DNA wise. and there was never a 1950s style US mass vaccination mass DDT blasting that killed all the malaria, so yes. Contractable diseases that otherwise are eradicated? Yeah I think so. You realize there have been cases of Polio returning due to select children not being vaccinated? you don't think other disease that are Easily contractable due to the fact that they live on clothes and bedding for long periods of time? No lizards.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

The US shouldn't have applied a total war mindset in what was supposedly a police action, but I doubt it could have been avoided, since the military leadership was the same from WWII. And I don't think the US was uniquely guilty. Both the communist and anti-communist massacres and arbitrary executions were another matter, indefensible.

FTFY

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LeoMarr posted:

Only North Korean soldiers are vaccinated against Smallpox out of the entire population, Even during the Korean war North Korea experienced outbreaks of the diseases I listed. To your point, The claim that Korea is a cesspit of diseases that are otherwise vaccinated against in developed countries it not extreme in the slightest. 15 Million Koreans with little access to any healthcare what so ever, and you don't have the slightest inkling feeling that there could be a highly contactable area for otherwise preventable diseases that live inside clothes/bedding for long periods of time could EVER occur? come on, what do you imagine happens in rural rear end North Korean villages, they arent living in mansions. they are living in huts. Huge amount of disease is contractable, there isnt much diversity in North Korea so everyone is very similar DNA wise. and there was never a 1950s style US mass vaccination mass DDT blasting that killed all the malaria, so yes. Contractable diseases that otherwise are eradicated? Yeah I think so. You realize there have been cases of Polio returning due to select children not being vaccinated? you don't think other disease that are Easily contractable due to the fact that they live on clothes and bedding for long periods of time? No lizards.

I still feel like I can't tell where you are on the "doesn't know what smallpox is" to "is actively into some conspiracy thing" spectrum you are falling on.

Smallpox is not caused by mosquitos, living in a village or "having very similar DNA" (what?). Are you going to say they get it from the exhalation of noxious vapor from swamps next?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

What do you mean, what. It’s a pretty straightforward statement.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

A day late, but American Values put out a good thread about the Jeju uprising

https://twitter.com/Americas_Crimes/status/981426758091231233

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I still feel like I can't tell where you are on the "doesn't know what smallpox is" to "is actively into some conspiracy thing" spectrum you are falling on.

Smallpox is not caused by mosquitos, living in a village or "having very similar DNA" (what?). Are you going to say they get it from the exhalation of noxious vapor from swamps next?

Its very obviius you have a narrow minded view of how diseases are contracted. malaria is still prevailent in NK which was the point of discussing Mosquitos. Small pox lives and breeds in cramped conditiobs. Disease can spread rapidly due to the lack of gene pool diversity. Its not a conspiracy but thats a great buzzword for anything that doesnt conform to your narrow minded opinion. I dont understand what you are trying to counter here. Do you actually believe there are no diseases running rampant in NK?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Large refugee camps are breeding grounds for really nasty bugs, so combine that with what's festered in NK due to their isolation over the past 60 years and yeah, it's a health hazard and part of the humanitarian crisis a conflict with the DPRK would result in.

This is without getting into the real worst case of DPRK biological agents being deployed.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LeoMarr posted:

Its very obviius you have a narrow minded view of how diseases are contracted. malaria is still prevailent in NK which was the point of discussing Mosquitos. Small pox lives and breeds in cramped conditiobs. Disease can spread rapidly due to the lack of gene pool diversity. Its not a conspiracy but thats a great buzzword for anything that doesnt conform to your narrow minded opinion. I dont understand what you are trying to counter here. Do you actually believe there are no diseases running rampant in NK?

Are.... are you a truther for.... GERM THEORY?

No one in north Korea has small pox no matter how cramped their "conditiobs"(???) are or how weak their DNA is. No one has small pox anywhere. No one has had small pox anywhere on earth in 41 years.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Are.... are you a truther for.... GERM THEORY?

No one in north Korea has small pox no matter how cramped their "conditiobs"(???) are or how weak their DNA is. No one has small pox anywhere. No one has had small pox anywhere on earth in 41 years.

:lol:

I should add instead of just being snark, the fear is not necessarily that it exists in the wild but rather is a part of various biological weapon stockpiles in certain parts of the world. You get smallpox vaccines in the US military if you’re deploying to any part of the world where these agents are known to be. I got mine in 2007 because i was in the korean aor. There was no fear that we’d get it from someone, but rather that it would be used as a biological weapon.

That and my particular group were involuntary guinea pigs in a study of new smallpox vaccines to replace out strategic reserve.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mr. Nice! posted:

:lol:

I should add instead of just being snark, the fear is not necessarily that it exists in the wild but rather is a part of various biological weapon stockpiles in certain parts of the world. You get smallpox vaccines in the US military if you’re deploying to any part of the world where these agents are known to be. I got mine in 2007 because i was in the korean aor. There was no fear that we’d get it from someone, but rather that it would be used as a biological weapon.

That and my particular group were involuntary guinea pigs in a study of new smallpox vaccines to replace out strategic reserve.

The claim is "Wiki doesnt talk about MERS and Small pox, but both are prevailent in the country aswell." which is an insane conspiracy theory. The idea that the north korean military has secret small pox weapons is also a pretty far out there conspiracy theory that is almost certainly not true, but the idea that small pox is common in north korea but this is being covered up by wikipedia is like, time cube levels nutty. Especially if it's part of some more open minded view of how people get diseases that isn't tied to viruses needing to exist and is tied to living in huts or having similar genes or whatever it is