Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
burn notice was the king of juggling the "macguyver situation of the week" with an overarching plot every episode imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
If you enjoy movies like 13 Assassins, Blade of the Immortal is up on Hulu right now. My 5 month old has decided not to nap today so I have only gotten to watch around 30 minutes but it is really good so far

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Parachute posted:

burn notice was the king of juggling the "macguyver situation of the week" with an overarching plot every episode imo.

the sadly cancelled Chance with Hugh Laurie also did that and it's really good (two seasons on Hulu)

e: also Goliath on Prime

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
awww what a bummer. I really liked Chance. Ethan Suplee was a badass

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Gnome de plume posted:

Just noticed the entire season of Reboot: The Guardian Code's been dumped into Netflix. Has anyone checked it out? I'd do it myself but I uh, don't want to.

It's the product of cowardly and conservative Canadian executives not understanding what made the original show good, combined with what was once the most ambitious animation studio north of the border turning out sub-par work on their old IP.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Carmelita Spats is insufferable.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I heard you liked To Kill a Mockingnird, so I did

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I'm 5 episodes into wild wild country and I flat out hate everyone in this thing.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I like the old dude who was the only normal guy on the city council full of Rahjneesees.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Lycus posted:

I like the old dude who was the only normal guy on the city council full of Rahjneesees.

Yeah I finished it last night and the lawyer guy was the only person who came off as not a complete piece of poo poo. He was in a cult... but he was never involved with the horrible things they did, and only wanted to fight the lovely loving idiots from Oregon and the US for trying to gently caress them over for no reason.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lycus posted:

I still have 1.5 episodes left but so far he has hee-hawed country bumpkined them the whole time while clearly feeding all kinds of stuff to the feds and it is just hilarious

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Lycus posted:

It's pretty much the only good character in any of it.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I like that he at least had the intellectual honestly to admit that the Christian retreat that took over the ranchland was basically a cult but one that was easier for him to accept than the Rajneeshees

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Uh, sure ok then.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
You guys are crazy. Sheela owned.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I like that he at least had the intellectual honestly to admit that the Christian retreat that took over the ranchland was basically a cult but one that was easier for him to accept than the Rajneeshees

I really appreciated that. Especially as I have seen plenty of stickers/shirts from that organization and without even knowing what they were, felt something was off.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Uh, sure ok then.

Tainen posted:

You guys are crazy. Sheela owned.

Sorry, let me rephrase:

He's pretty much the only good person in it.

Everyone is an amazing character.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edit:

Sorry, let me rephrase:

He's pretty much the only good person in it.

Everyone is an amazing character.

Ok, I misunderstood your post then. I was like :wtf: he's like the least interesting dude in the whole thing.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 5, 2018

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Sheela is a piece of poo poo along with the rest of them. She was just in a place of power because she was infatuated and fuckin the cult leader.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

She might be a piece of poo poo, but you aren't giving her the credit she deserves as a diabolical nutjob.

I don't know why you went in expecting to like everyone. What a dumbass reason to watch a documentary about a bunch of weirdos lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also she was reportedly not loving the cult leader which was a possible reason poo poo went so crazy.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I wasn't expecting to like anyone. And unless I missed something major Sheela was totally loving the guru.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Field Mousepad posted:

I wasn't expecting to like anyone. And unless I missed something major Sheela was totally loving the guru.

She was. The reason they focused so much in the last episode of him specifically saying "And, I never had sex with that woman" was to hang the lampshade on that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I honestly have no idea if she was, but she never claimed to, and he claimed that she was angry he never hosed her when he turned on her and that's why she was so angry. Who knows if that was true though. That dudes arrogance knew no bounds so take everything with a grain fo salt, but it wasn't confirmed afaik.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
They both said multiple times that they loved each other, they were bangin.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I took it as they were banging, but that he never “made love” to her. As in, he never banged her out of love but rather out of just fun or lust or whatever. Saying such a thing could really hurt her. I imagined that’s exactly what he was trying to do. Also, did anyone catch that one older blonde lady who was being interviewed in around ep 3 or 4 say in so many words that she was banging the Bhagwan too? The way she said it was awkward as hell.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One thing I thought was really interesting was how little of the focus was on the Bhagwan. At the beginning they really sell you on the idea of the cult to some extent, but not his philosophy or why people connected with him so much. To the point I really don't know what the hell he was all about other than that he liked loving and getting free money. He's always looming in the background but he's kind of treated with a "yeah it's just some generic mystical snake oil bullshit, lets talk about the more interesting people involved in this" attitude.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Open marriages were a huge part of their religion so nothing would surprise me

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really don't doubt they were loving I'm just going off of what was said. It's pretty vague. I agree it's unlikely he wasn't sticking his dick in just about everyone.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

veni veni veni posted:

One thing I thought was really interesting was how little of the focus was on the Bhagwan. At the beginning they really sell you on the idea of the cult to some extent, but not his philosophy or why people connected with him so much. To the point I really don't know what the hell he was all about other than that he liked loving and getting free money. He's always looming in the background but he's kind of treated with a "yeah it's just some generic mystical snake oil bullshit, lets talk about the more interesting people involved in this" attitude.

That was exactly how I felt, I was like "well what is this guy saying that's attracting all of these people?" He doesn't really say anything. It's just everyone else going hey we can all gently caress and hang out so whatever.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Jason 3 was cool. I liked how huge he looked. It really felt like the older couple (were they actually older? They sure as hell seemed it but some of the characters are college kids) was just there to up the body count. That scene with unmasked Jason in the window and then busting through the door was actually creepy as hell.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

James Woods Fan posted:

Jason 3 was cool. I liked how huge he looked. It really felt like the older couple (were they actually older? They sure as hell seemed it but some of the characters are college kids) was just there to up the body count. That scene with unmasked Jason in the window and then busting through the door was actually creepy as hell.

agreed. this and 5 are my favorites in the series by far

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

James Woods Fan posted:

The absence of 3d makes the gratuitous 3d parts way funnier. It’s like that old SCTV gag.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Field Mousepad posted:

That was exactly how I felt, I was like "well what is this guy saying that's attracting all of these people?" He doesn't really say anything. It's just everyone else going hey we can all gently caress and hang out so whatever.

That part was easy to miss because only the first episode really covers their time in India before traveling to America. But in India, the Bhagwan gave regular talks that people could actually attend and listen to his philosophies, they show a brief clip of one of his speeches. It was only once he came to American and law enforcement became such a threat that he fully became a recluse. But many of his American followers traveled to India to see him speak before he ever came to the U.S.

I think what drew people in is the inclusiveness of it. He was saying "all of these restrictions the world puts on you are bullshit, we need to transcend all that", which is an attractive message to people who feel like they're missing something in their life.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah I finished it last night and the lawyer guy was the only person who came off as not a complete piece of poo poo.

Are you kidding me? The lawyer came off to me as the loving creepiest of the bunch because he is still ALL loving IN on this cult leader.

I agree that while I enjoyed the show, I left with a lot of questions, the main one being that I didn't get a good sense of what drew people fanatically to Bhagwan. I do understand why, dramatically on the show, they delayed showing him speak until after Sheela left. The show makes it seem like he didn't start speaking publicly until after that, but in reality he started about a year before that.

I also wanted more info about where all the money came from.

Brocktoon fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 5, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Brocktoon posted:

Are you kidding me? The lawyer came off to me as the loving creepiest of the bunch because he is still ALL loving IN on this cult leader.

I'm not sure if creepy is the word but I definitely think that guy came off looking just as bad as everyone else. The doc maintains objectivity, and so we don't get a moment where an interviewer asks the guy straight out "hey what about that time you guys rounded up homeless people to win an election and then dumped them on the street again once you were finished". But the lawyer never really discusses any of those more touchy areas where he wouldn't have an answer that fits with his narrative that the group was 100% persecuted for no reason. Those topics are conspicuous by their absence.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Oh the lawyer was a total scumbag. He was the epitome of "well what we were doing wasn't technically illegal" lawyer speak, aka we're doing shady poo poo.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
*in law talkin guy voice* sounds like a good litigator to me

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

The doc maintains objectivity, and so we don't get a moment where an interviewer asks the guy straight out "hey what about that time you guys rounded up homeless people to win an election and then dumped them on the street again once you were finished".

This is the part where I went from "man, they are weird , but part of me wishes I could have been in on this" to "these guys are absolute scum"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Field Mousepad posted:

Oh the lawyer was a total scumbag. He was the epitome of "well what we were doing wasn't technically illegal" lawyer speak, aka we're doing shady poo poo.

Aren’t bioterror attacks super loving illegal? How did he spin that?