Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Picnic Princess posted:

"Strict gun laws" lmao

California has gun laws on par with some European countries with a lot less violence. Not only is acquiring a handgun fairly difficult and weapons have restricted magazine capacities, carry licenses are "may issue" rather than "shall issue" at the discretion of law enforcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Deceitful Penguin posted:

No, it happened in California, widely known for its draconian anti-gun laws in the US. I wonder what horrible monster might have set these laws up as Governor.

The point is that California still has insanely liberal gun laws compared to basically the rest of the developed world.

edit: to the above post: I thought handgun ownership was a very difficult thing to get approved for in Europe?

I thought California law for handguns was "be 21" and "wait 10 days".

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Somfin posted:

Basically if it isn't story-necessary, it's just not useful and including it is forcing a weirdly visual idea of your story on the reader. You're writing, not directing a film. Is a character having pale skin story- or theme-necessary? No? Then why not let the reader fill in the skin tones?

I remember Neil Gaiman talking about how people were shocked that Shadow from American Gods was black (ditto for the main characters in Anansie Boys). He doesn't outright say "Shadow, in his black skin that made him black because his skin was the colour of night" or any poo poo like that but you definitely notice descriptions here and there that aren't outright paragraphs of how dark the characters skin is.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Madkal posted:

I remember Neil Gaiman talking about how people were shocked that Shadow from American Gods was black (ditto for the main characters in Anansie Boys). He doesn't outright say "Shadow, in his black skin that made him black because his skin was the colour of night" or any poo poo like that but you definitely notice descriptions here and there that aren't outright paragraphs of how dark the characters skin is.

I remember hearing something similar about a character in Hunger Games.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bobby Digital posted:

I remember hearing something similar about a character in Hunger Games.

I think Rue's skin was explicitly dark. Like there was no ambiguity, it was directly in the text. People just seem to assume that unless a character is specifically listed as African-American or black, they can be assumed to be swarthy white people.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

chitoryu12 posted:

California has gun laws on par with some European countries with a lot less violence. Not only is acquiring a handgun fairly difficult and weapons have restricted magazine capacities, carry licenses are "may issue" rather than "shall issue" at the discretion of law enforcement.

California is also driving distance from Nevada and Arizona, which have none of those.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

She was Baha'i. It was all over her (lunatic) social media. Pretty much every time she mentioned that she was vegan, she mentioned that she was Baha'i.

When was the last time a woman committed a mass shooting in the US? I remember the one at Penn State in 1996, but can't call to mind another since then.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Memento posted:

The point is that California still has insanely liberal gun laws compared to basically the rest of the developed world.

edit: to the above post: I thought handgun ownership was a very difficult thing to get approved for in Europe?

No, my point was that it was Ronald Reagan disarming the Black Panthers that lead to the current California gun legislation but you never hear the right admit it lol

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Deceitful Penguin posted:

No, my point was that it was Ronald Reagan disarming the Black Panthers that lead to the current California gun legislation but you never hear the right admit it lol

A ton of American gun laws have their roots in disarming the poor and minorities. Like the 1934 National Firearms Act that put a $200 tax stamp on stuff like machine guns, which put them out of the hands of most private citizens (in a time of civil wars and revolutions around the world) but kept it easy for private organizations like the Pinkertons or wealthy businessmen and politicians’ bodyguards to afford them.

There’s another thread I’m following where someone posted actual documents about court cases or arrests from the 19th century where they outright stated “Yeah, these were really just meant to disarm the negros so we let these good ol’ boys go”. I should try to find them again.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

AlbieQuirky posted:

She was Baha'i. It was all over her (lunatic) social media. Pretty much every time she mentioned that she was vegan, she mentioned that she was Baha'i.

When was the last time a woman committed a mass shooting in the US? I remember the one at Penn State in 1996, but can't call to mind another since then.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

these folks can't tell Sikhs from Muslims, good luck getting them to differentiate Baha'is and Muslims

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

chitoryu12 posted:

:allears:

I know being a lovely white-noise poster is your shtick but this line of reasoning Wikipedia regurgitation does nothing to further your argument the argument other posters were making.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

chitoryu12 posted:

I think Rue's skin was explicitly dark. Like there was no ambiguity, it was directly in the text. People just seem to assume that unless a character is specifically listed as African-American or black, they can be assumed to be swarthy white people.

It wasn't Rue, it was Katniss. IIRC, the text of the book implies that she's Native American.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Besesoth posted:

It wasn't Rue, it was Katniss. IIRC, the text of the book implies that she's Native American.

It was both. Katniss was a lot more vague in the text, but dumb people were real pissed when a black actress was cast as Rue for the movie.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I'm glad whoever created that meme realizes that the only thing that would have prevented that shooting was a total gun ban.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

That was also California and it was a woman and her husband(bf?) right?

Also before that there was those not chickenhawks from the Bundy stuff that shot up Vegas and put nazi flags over their vics.

fake edit : There was a public radio book interview with a guy that wrote a book where he picks 365 random days and finds like at least 1 gun death for every single day.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

It was both. Katniss was a lot more vague in the text, but dumb people absolute monsters were real pissed when a black actress was cast as Rue for the movie.

People were saying they couldn't empathize with the dramatic death of a child because she was black instead of the blonde angel they pictured in the books.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I don't understand why a gimmick role-playing account is IoSM, but whatever chalks your cue I guess.

And to answer his last question, yes there are.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

No I'm fairly certain it's the real guy.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

San Bernadino, yeah. But that was a husband and wife team.

Solo woman between 1996 and now is just not coming to mind, but there must be at least one given the ridiculous number of mass shootings we have here.

Edit to add: Goleta, California postal shooter, January 2006. I was caring for a family member at the time and wasn't following the news, so that's probably why I didn't think of it.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 06:58 on Apr 5, 2018

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

The logical conclusion is to use "they" for every character, so you don't have to put in extra dialog that changes depending on the gender of the characters. Think of how much time that will save the developers that they can devote to making extra levels or abilities. (I guarantee it's only in the game because someone was stuck on something else and as a distraction tried to see how hard it would be to implement a third gender option, realized it wouldn't be hard at all,and suggested it be in the game).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9tn0f0QJO4 even "they" will make these people cry

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Besesoth posted:

There were some dumb teens crying on twitter about how they couldn't feel sad about a little girl dying anymore because they found out (most of them still didn't get that she was in fact also black in the book) that she was black.
I guess she wasn't sassy enough.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Memento posted:

After the Parkland shooting i looked up what you actually need to do to legally carry a gun here in Germany and its pretty much impossible unless your job requires it.
Yes you can own a gun if you pass background checks, get some training (these courses can cost a couple hundred Euro) and have a reason to (sport shooting counts as a reason).
You can also transport it somewhere if you need to. Unloaded, locked away and separate from the ammunition. You also can't just drive around with a gun in your car every day. You can only transport it if you got a good reason to. Like taking it to a shooting range for example.
Theres pretty much no chance you are allowed to carry a loaded gun around unless you work in security because you need to provide a valid reason why you need to carry one. There are some exceptions for hunting and cops and stuff like that of course. But even those are highly regulated. (You need to actually do a written test, prove proficiency in handling guns and need to prove knowledge of animal anatomy in addition to the whole "not being insane or convicted of crimes" thing just to get a hunting license)
Thats the main difference in gun laws. In the US you need a reason not to be allowed to have a gun, in Germany you need a reason to have the right to own one.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The last time we let Germans have guns 60 million people died.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Madkal posted:

It never explicitly said he was a black dude but it pretty heavily implied he was. IIRC there's a bit where it mentions a prison guard trying to rile him up with racism. As for the main characters of Anansi boys, if someone couldn't tell they were black they are downright being willfully blind because it's extremely obvious.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I thought this was going to be a complaint about changing "he" to "they" because that's "grammatically incorrect" (even though it actually isn't). But it turns out it's even dumber than that! The cards already said "he or she" and they changed it to "they" to be more inclusive (and presumably mostly to save space), and this guy is upset about that because apparently there's some kind of "transgender cabal" forcing them to do this - because he seems to think that "transgender" and "non-binary" maybe mean the same thing? And he also seems to think that they made this change instead of addressing other problems he has with the game, like as though this took any more time and effort than one person in a single meeting saying "can we change the standard wording from 'he or she' to 'they' to save space?" and everyone else basically shrugging and going "sure, why not?"

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Volcott posted:

Look, it was one time! Ok maybe two times! It won't happen again! Probably!

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Slime posted:

It never explicitly said he was a black dude but it pretty heavily implied he was. IIRC there's a bit where it mentions a prison guard trying to rile him up with racism. As for the main characters of Anansi boys, if someone couldn't tell they were black they are downright being willfully blind because it's extremely obvious.
... Is that book about the actual African god Anansi? It can't be, that would be so incredibly dense.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Sarcopenia posted:

... Is that book about the actual African god Anansi? It can't be, that would be so incredibly dense.

It's about two boys who are demi-god sons of Anansi, so yeah. IIRC Anansi is only thoroughly described in American Gods but I'm sure it's still mentioned he's an African god in Anansi Boys.

PantherWill
Feb 23, 2013

AlbieQuirky posted:

San Bernadino, yeah. But that was a husband and wife team.

Solo woman between 1996 and now is just not coming to mind, but there must be at least one given the ridiculous number of mass shootings we have here.

Edit to add: Goleta, California postal shooter, January 2006. I was caring for a family member at the time and wasn't following the news, so that's probably why I didn't think of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Alabama_in_Huntsville_shooting -- This one might be what you're looking for.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Madkal posted:

Whats weird is I always imagined Shadow as black, but I could never for the life of me find the part of the book that said so. Man, I need another copy of that book. I keep loaning it out and not getting it back.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Volcott posted:

I reckon you should need a permit to own the edge on that post.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Volcott posted:

Are you aware that communism killed over 600 million people in the Ukraine alone?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Agents are GO! posted:

Whats weird is I always imagined Shadow as black, but I could never for the life of me find the part of the book that said so. Man, I need another copy of that book. I keep loaning it out and not getting it back.

I always pictured him as Rockish. There's a few lines at the beginning about how he was big enough to trigger the "don't gently caress with this guy" response in prison and my mental image of that is just The Rock.

My favorite Anansi Boys story is that someone approached him about making it a movie except they had to be turned white and he just said no. Dudes got enough money that he doesn't have to sell out his work like that.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Len posted:

I always pictured him as Rockish. There's a few lines at the beginning about how he was big enough to trigger the "don't gently caress with this guy" response in prison and my mental image of that is just The Rock.

Exactly the same thing I thought, that threw me a bit in the show where hes definitely black and cool but not Rock-like.

And I will admit to not getting that the brothers in Anansi Boys were black, not because I am racist, but because I am very dumb.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Shai-Hulud posted:

After the Parkland shooting i looked up what you actually need to do to legally carry a gun here in Germany and its pretty much impossible unless your job requires it.
Yes you can own a gun if you pass background checks, get some training (these courses can cost a couple hundred Euro) and have a reason to (sport shooting counts as a reason).
You can also transport it somewhere if you need to. Unloaded, locked away and separate from the ammunition. You also can't just drive around with a gun in your car every day. You can only transport it if you got a good reason to. Like taking it to a shooting range for example.
Theres pretty much no chance you are allowed to carry a loaded gun around unless you work in security because you need to provide a valid reason why you need to carry one. There are some exceptions for hunting and cops and stuff like that of course. But even those are highly regulated. (You need to actually do a written test, prove proficiency in handling guns and need to prove knowledge of animal anatomy in addition to the whole "not being insane or convicted of crimes" thing just to get a hunting license)
Thats the main difference in gun laws. In the US you need a reason not to be allowed to have a gun, in Germany you need a reason to have the right to own one.

Same basic laws as Australia. You can get a gun if you need it or are willing to jump through a bunch of hoops to go target shooting or hunting.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Katt posted:

Are you aware that communism killed over 600 million people in the Ukraine alone?

Russians shouldn't have anything at all that could potentially pose an injury risk.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Norway has fairly strict laws too. Technically. But goddamn. When I left the service I tried out for the active reserves in the capital. Good extra money and I spent maybe 40-60 days a year doing stuff related to my college major.

They were very 'high speed low drag' or at least really wanted to be (this was around Utøya) so while there may have been rules and regs I think most of the 500 or so rapid response reservists had assault rifles fully activated in their homes. This was known and approved from high ups even if not technically allowed.
Hell I lived In a student village of a couple thousand people with only a flimsy door between all my gear including the rifle and anyone who walked by and still had to bring it home despite my protests. Like I was told that it was an acceptable risk. My last few years they started enforcing rules about keeping vital parts centrally -most of the time.

Edit: I didn't even have a car. I took the subway to the base!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You
Oct 6, 2009