Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Blast of Confetti posted:

I want to get in to the Heroes of Might and Magic and Armored Princess type games. What's a good starting point?

Heroes 3 is still widely regarded as the best in that series, I think, and has an HD release. edit: which you should avoid, apparently, never touched the HD release.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I want something with really good feeling punchy shooting or "gunfeel" (and I don't really know how to say that without sounding like I should be put on a list), probably an FPS. Examples are games like FEAR 1 and Call of Juarez Gunslinger, the opposite would be stuff like... Prey or Hitman, I guess?

It's very subjective and know it when you see it, I've been playing a lot of strategy games and RPGs so I guess I have a craving to shoot a dude with a big magnum and have it feel good. Haven't played any of the modern Far Crys, considering 4

Vanquish, Binary Domain. I know it's low-res and probably not exactly what you want, but Nuclear Throne uses screen-shake and a slight pause to great effect in making the guns feel very good.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Unreal_One posted:

Heroes 3 is still widely regarded as the best in that series, I think, and has an HD release.

Don't get Heroes 3 HD. It's a poor port that locks you out of both of the game's expansions and the random map generator.

Instead, buy the version from GOG and get this free high-res patch

It's on sale for $2.50 right now and it's easily one of the best games of all time

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

I want to get in to the Heroes of Might and Magic and Armored Princess type games. What's a good starting point?
HOMM 3 is a true classic. HOMM 2 was almost as good. HOMM 4 was, as vampires say, "blah". HOMM5 quite a good modern reboot. HOMM6 is alright. The original HOMM was undercooked, but still not a bad game.

King's Bounty (2009 game) is good, but perhaps too hard for beginners. KB:Crossworlds is literally the same game as KB:Armored Princess + some rebalancing and extra content, so that's what you'd want I guess. Warriors of the North and Dark Side you can play in either order. I guess the best one to start with might be Armored Princess / Crossworlds.

Another game in that vein you might like is Disciples 2. The tactical combat is simplified, but overland game is quite similar to HOMM series and fun if you like the single badass hero aspect. Cool gothic art style. It has multiple expansions, which are also good. Disciples 1 is too weird/primitive, and 3rd game tries to be more like HOMM but is bad(?).

Then there's also Eador: Masters of the Broken World, which is a literal 3D remake of early 2000's Eador: Genesis, and a new game called Eador: Imperium, which I haven't played yet. If you like TONS of HOMM style combat, then you get TONS of it here. It has quite an interesting strategic game, loot to upgrade your heroes, troops that gain experience and levels etc. The downside is, they are really really massive (100+ hours to complete a campaign), and unfortunately buggy.

I actually started with the original King's Bounty from ca 1991. Which is still a pretty good game to be honest.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 1, 2018

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Is there a good settlers or settler type game out there? And y'know. Available by Steam or GoG? I haven't been able to recapture the magic since.... settlers 2 maybe?

Edit: forgot to add. My available systems are a somewhat outdated PC and iPad. Either would be awesome

Nuclear War fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 1, 2018

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Nuclear War posted:

Is there a good settlers or settler type game out there? And y'know. Available by Steam or GoG? I haven't been able to recapture the magic since.... settlers 2 maybe?

Edit: forgot to add. My available systems are a somewhat outdated PC and iPad. Either would be awesome

I'm not all too familiar with Settlers, but if you're into the resource chains/chains of production stuff from them, Anno 1404 is a great game for that. Factorio if you don't mind having to design your production chain entirely instead of having the AI do it for you.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Heroes 3, as said, is still great with the expansions. Heroes 5 is great too.

What's really shameful, though, is that nobody's recommended Age of Wonders 3 yet. Because that game is goddamn fantastic.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Nordick posted:

Heroes 3, as said, is still great with the expansions. Heroes 5 is great too.

What's really shameful, though, is that nobody's recommended Age of Wonders 3 yet. Because that game is goddamn fantastic.

AOW3 is fantastic. The expansions are good too, especially the second one.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Nuclear War posted:

Banished perhaps. Don't know about required system specs.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I haven't played Settlers either, but I had a lot of fun playing Banished recently with a few personally-chosen challenges in place (smallest, mountainous map, no quarries or mines, hardest starting scenario).

The game has zero personality, though, and once you understand it, it is pretty easy. Fun game while it lasts, but the fun doesn't seem to last as long as it should. Solid B+. Should run on any PC made in the last decade?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whats a good game to play high as poo poo?

I like Doom, Far Cry 5, Doom, Prey, Bioshock, Systemshock, Doom 98, Doom II.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Are phone game recommendations a thing here?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Bob NewSCART posted:

Yes; play Hoplite.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Turtlicious posted:

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yes; play Hoplite.

Also Tiny Town and You Must Build A Boat.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

New Doom was incredible stoned with headphones on. It was one of the most intense experiences I've ever had.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Siralim 2 is a proper nonfreemium Pokémon-style RPG with a lot of content.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 4, 2018

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Turtlicious posted:

League of Legends: ARAM (everyone rolls a random character, one single lane where everyone does 5v5 battle), with teammates muted.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Bob NewSCART posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807368 is my thing

Been playing it for 100+ hours, completely free. You can pay to get more dudes faster, but it's really, really optional.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Borderlands.

I typically like low key games for that though, Farming Simulator is my absolute jam

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Turtlicious posted:

whats a good game to play high as poo poo

Abzu was great to play while high but it's definitely a different style than the games you mentioned.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bob NewSCART posted:

I have a solid 80-100 hours in Puzzle Forge II and I only just yesterday learned you could make Legendary weapons and armour. Spent a few dollars of Play Store credit I had left over on the game so it has no ads, really solid little game.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Things I have played and enjoyed on my phone:

Knights of Pen and Paper 2 (free)
Bouncy Hoops (paid $1 to get rid of ads)
Adventures of Mana (Final Fantasy Adventure remake, $15)
Dragon Quest IV (DS port, $15)

I've been eyeing that Fire Emblem game and also The Quest, will check those out when I'm done with DQ4.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ofecks posted:

Things I have played and enjoyed on my phone:

Knights of Pen and Paper 2 (free)
Bouncy Hoops (paid $1 to get rid of ads)
Adventures of Mana (Final Fantasy Adventure remake, $15)
Dragon Quest IV (DS port, $15)

I've been eyeing that Fire Emblem game and also The Quest, will check those out when I'm done with DQ4.

The Quest is great, it's like an old school Elder Scrolls.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Bob NewSCART posted:

Super Hexagon
Mini Metro
Steamworld Heist
Gorogoa
80 Days

are all excellent phone games

If you don't mind virtual d-pads then the phone versions of JYDGE and Death Road to Canada are also good

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Been really busy lately and too tired to game at night, but I still need to get some sort of gaming fix. As such, I'm looking for a game that I can play on PC in 15-20 minute sessions where I can feel like I'm making progress each time that I play, but isn't so complex or in-depth that I'm going to forget what I was doing if I can't play it for a few days. Bonus points if I can play it in windowed mode and/or M+KB.

I feel like this maps closest to a roguelike, I would be down with one of those but other genres are cool too. Maybe Dungeonmans? I've had it in my Steam library for a while but have yet to play it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Been really busy lately and too tired to game at night, but I still need to get some sort of gaming fix. As such, I'm looking for a game that I can play on PC in 15-20 minute sessions where I can feel like I'm making progress each time that I play, but isn't so complex or in-depth that I'm going to forget what I was doing if I can't play it for a few days. Bonus points if I can play it in windowed mode and/or M+KB.

I feel like this maps closest to a roguelike, I would be down with one of those but other genres are cool too. Maybe Dungeonmans? I've had it in my Steam library for a while but have yet to play it.

If you like card games then something like Slay the Spire might be good for you.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Into the Breach is a good one, played in short sessions with meta progress.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

DreamShipWrecked posted:

If you like card games then something like Slay the Spire might be good for you.

I keep hearing that name but I don't know anything about it, I'll have to look into it. Thanks.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Into the Breach is a good one, played in short sessions with meta progress.

Will I like it if I keep bouncing off of Fire Emblem games? Turn-based strategy just never seemed to click with me, but I did love FTL so I'm willing to give those devs a shot.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Terraria works that way and yeah seconding Into the Breach.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

C-Euro posted:

I keep hearing that name but I don't know anything about it, I'll have to look into it. Thanks.

Will I like it if I keep bouncing off of Fire Emblem games? Turn-based strategy just never seemed to click with me, but I did love FTL so I'm willing to give those devs a shot.

Slay the Spire is a card-game brawler where you fight enemies with your cards, and get to add new cards to your deck after most fights. So you're building it up into a powerful thing as you go - and there are ways to ditch cards, or get relics, or upgrade the cards, or....

It's good!

So is Into the Breach! I have trouble with Fire Emblem games, but Into the Breach is small scale enough and so tightly tuned that it's a joy to play.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Lorini posted:

Terraria works that way and yeah seconding Into the Breach.

I put 80ish hours into Terraria pre-1.3 and I would love to fall back into that hole, but those play sessions usually end up going for an hour or more lol. Maybe I should just do it anyway.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

C-Euro posted:

I put 80ish hours into Terraria pre-1.3 and I would love to fall back into that hole, but those play sessions usually end up going for an hour or more lol. Maybe I should just do it anyway.

If you are interested in 2D builder sims you might like Oxygen Not Included, a colony management game from the people who made Don't Starve. It is easy to spend ten hours at a time with it though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

DreamShipWrecked posted:

If you are interested in 2D builder sims you might like Oxygen Not Included, a colony management game from the people who made Don't Starve. It is easy to spend ten hours at a time with it though.

Nah my Terraria time was 90% about spelunking and hoarding anything and everything of value. Maybe this time I should focus on building stuff instead? Could certainly let me focus on playing in shorter chunks...

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Probably, as it is much more like a puzzle game than a normal turn based strategy. The maps are small and packed, missions last like 5 minutes, and the game is all about positioning rather than stats. Watch a let's play or something if you're not sure, but it is nothing like Fire Emblem or FFT or whatever.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Probably, as it is much more like a puzzle game than a normal turn based strategy. The maps are small and packed, missions last like 5 minutes, and the game is all about positioning rather than stats. Watch a let's play or something if you're not sure, but it is nothing like Fire Emblem or FFT or whatever.

I mean, this is more of an indictment of the state of turn-based strategy than actually saying that Into the Breach is a different genre.

Into the Breach is really loving good. It's also kind of hilarious because people have been telling me for years that a game like ItB would never work and deterministic combat would ruin the model (usually in the context of conversations about X-Com or similar) and no, in fact, it owns.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean, this is more of an indictment of the state of turn-based strategy than actually saying that Into the Breach is a different genre.

Into the Breach is really loving good. It's also kind of hilarious because people have been telling me for years that a game like ItB would never work and deterministic combat would ruin the model (usually in the context of conversations about X-Com or similar) and no, in fact, it owns.

Yeah game good

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

C-Euro posted:

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.

It's realtime, stick shooterish roguelike where you proceed room by room, but every time you accomplish something in the game, more stuff gets unlocked in subsequent playthroughs. It saves constantly, can play in a window, and only uses keyboard

There's an even newer game in the series, Afterbirth or something, but it has worse reviews.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It likely wouldn't work too well with the scale of an X-Com, which is why ItB works so well. It's what, 8x8? That size is the game's biggest strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Deep rock galactic? Good or not? Thread?