Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

oh, that's neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Holy poo poo when I bother to reinstall I'm going to make sure that gets installed. I want to see the other faction stuff but not enough to trudge through the game again.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Len posted:

Holy poo poo when I bother to reinstall I'm going to make sure that gets installed. I want to see the other faction stuff but not enough to trudge through the game again.

Not going to spoil anything but there's a 0% chance of that mod showing you the majority of the faction differences

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That's correct, yeah. Only end mission texts.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The only differences I care about. And swapping the Illuminati and Templar intermissions.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The only differences I care about. And swapping the Illuminati and Templar intermissions.

Yeah, uh

You might not understand the entirety of which faction-related things are going on in South Africa

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Okay but microtransaction idea:

$1.99 to be a double agent for 48 hours. Play everything the same but get the selected faction's exclusive missions/briefing text!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That said, I want to know who thought it was a good idea to make that one thing cost 2k Dawn's Favor.

Does doing all the missions get you even 100?

The price of the lowest level item is very nice though.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 5, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

theflyingorc posted:

Not going to spoil anything but there's a 0% chance of that mod showing you the majority of the faction differences

Yeah I don't care about the major story stuff mostly I want to see the turn in text. Like during whichever Christmas event it is that KG is getting drunker and drunker it would be cool to see what's going on elsewhere. Major story stuff will be on twitch or YouTube with someones face imposed in the corner while they try to be funny so I'll just catch it all there.

Edit: maybe if someone streams standing on a train for 12 hours we can get cache keys to stack instead of having to be redeemed daily. I mean I know Joel was the one who like people standing still live for 12+ hours but hey I can dream

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

Bought a fruity zebra, completed the zone, picked up the CE. Curious what it looked like to not-Illuminati. Biggest complaint is that it was short (but about what I expected given the lead-up coverage).

Really hope this does well enough that we get to see Congo.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Len posted:

Like during whichever Christmas event it is that KG is getting drunker and drunker it would be cool to see what's going on elsewhere.

IIRC the Templar version is your handler getting drunk and misinterpreting your messages as sexting. Would be nice to compare how our factions are when they drink.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ossipago posted:

IIRC the Templar version is your handler getting drunk and misinterpreting your messages as sexting. Would be nice to compare how our factions are when they drink.

the templar handler is the only one who is ever completely sober

which is one of many reasons why the templars are bad

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I don't have much complaints about the new zone other than it being small and linear. No major bugs either. My only gripe is Daimon Kyota specifically his new bossy attitude. I don't think it works very well, he is fine as interesting nutjob that helps you get things done but barking orders and threatening consequences for failure he is insufferable. By that point Dragon player will be used to their stand-offish "send you to a place and observe what happens" attitude so DK being so controlling is grating. However I am not yet done with the story, so maybe my opinion will change.

E: Spent a lot of time hunting for lores and well, thank god I have a hoverboard. There is one lore on a roof which I couldn't grab because I had a broom (which stops hoverboard animation) but got easily once the broom was gone. That seems kind of unfair to hoverboard non-havers.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 5, 2018

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Regarding Daimon idk if it should be considered a change in personality. Before you didn't work for him, now you do.
His scenes with the guys working for him always showed him as someone that allowed no insubordination and who liked to exert his dominance over them.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I am no more his subordinate than I was Bong Chas, and no fucks were given so if he wants to send another 300 angry sms, I dont care
In any case a dragon player barely ever received explicit orders from his faction before so the change of tone is grating.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Sekenr posted:

In any case a dragon player barely ever received explicit orders from his faction before so the change of tone is grating.

As a Dragon player still slogging* through Orochi tower, this sounds hilarious and I look forward to seeing it. I hope DK randomly calls you and tells you to do things similar to the moonwalking and whatnot in the bank heist mission. For best effect, you should get a timer status effect in which to complete the command, even if you're in combat at the time. Then if you complete the command, you get a stacking status effect called "good quantum". If you don't complete it, you get "bad quantum" and you can have both at the same time. The status effects should have an indeterminable mechanical influence upon gameplay and one dev should leak that it doesn't actually do anything while another leaks that it actually does.

* Can't say I entirely like the change from TSW for the tower climb. Completionists might prefer clearing all eight divisions in one go, but three was more than enough for me.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Just finished the first mini-arc in South Africa and :allears: I have been persuaded to get at least a month of Patron.

"I'm well aware that your kind are hard to kill, but you can be put into an induced coma, fed an intravenous diet of liquefied kittens, and forced to listen to Nickelback for all eternity. Ciao ciao!" Geary status: still best.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Hello Sailor posted:

As a Dragon player still slogging* through Orochi tower, this sounds hilarious and I look forward to seeing it. I hope DK randomly calls you and tells you to do things similar to the moonwalking and whatnot in the bank heist mission. For best effect, you should get a timer status effect in which to complete the command, even if you're in combat at the time. Then if you complete the command, you get a stacking status effect called "good quantum". If you don't complete it, you get "bad quantum" and you can have both at the same time. The status effects should have an indeterminable mechanical influence upon gameplay and one dev should leak that it doesn't actually do anything while another leaks that it actually does.

* Can't say I entirely like the change from TSW for the tower climb. Completionists might prefer clearing all eight divisions in one go, but three was more than enough for me.

If it was like this, it would have been awesome. Instead he is just being an rear end in a top hat

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Just finished the first mini-arc in South Africa and :allears: I have been persuaded to get at least a month of Patron.

"I'm well aware that your kind are hard to kill, but you can be put into an induced coma, fed an intravenous diet of liquefied kittens, and forced to listen to Nickelback for all eternity. Ciao ciao!" Geary status: still best.

edit: also right before that your phone going "ding! ding! ding! ding!" and her increasingly angry texts

...quote is not edit :negative:

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

GreyjoyBastard posted:

the templar handler is the only one who is ever completely sober

Now that I think about it, it was Dame Julia being drunk and using the handlers phone. Sonnac would never not be sober. Templars are basically the DD of the Secret World. You're welcome.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

theflyingorc posted:

you should MAYBE keep playing

You're not my dad.

But seriously, not quite to the peaks of my favorite parts of TSW but a good time throughout.

I don't suppose there are any extra key words, besides Enabler, John Copley, and Beaumont you can look up in the sabotage mission?

Ossipago posted:

Now that I think about it, it was Dame Julia being drunk and using the handlers phone. Sonnac would never not be sober. Templars are basically the DD of the Secret World. You're welcome.

Dame Julia drunk? But she won't stand for that sort of behavior!

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 6, 2018

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Now that everything is cut into classes, is there an obvious best choice if I want to solo through the main story content with minimal grind? I like the look of punisher because who doesn't love hammer + shotgun, but I remember that having some survivability and single-target DPS problems in the classic TSW.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Chaos + Pistol is a simple and effective combination. They also both pair well with a lot of other weapons, for whenever you get around to unlocking more of them.

https://forums.funcom.com/t/how-to-build-all-weapons/881

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've had zero scaling problems as a blood primary and the rifle is a good enough secondary.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Omi no Kami posted:

Now that everything is cut into classes, is there an obvious best choice if I want to solo through the main story content with minimal grind? I like the look of punisher because who doesn't love hammer + shotgun, but I remember that having some survivability and single-target DPS problems in the classic TSW.

I played through Gun/Other gun, and that seemed to work quite well, for murdering

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Hammer/shotgun absolutely pisses damage and is very hard to kill. Would recommend. :v:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Pilchenstein posted:

Hammer/shotgun absolutely pisses damage and is very hard to kill. Would recommend. :v:

Okay excellent, thanks for the recommendations! I kind of want to try everything, but since it doesn't suck, I think the idea of stomping through all these terrifying worlds with a grumpy jerk who just smacks everything with a sledgehammer is way too funny to pass up. :)

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Omi no Kami posted:

Okay excellent, thanks for the recommendations! I kind of want to try everything, but since it doesn't suck, I think the idea of stomping through all these terrifying worlds with a grumpy jerk who just smacks everything with a sledgehammer is way too funny to pass up. :)
No worries mate, you want any specific build advice or anything just shout.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

well okay, South Africa mission bosses are a bit obnoxious, but I think that's just because I went straight from Tokyo story to South Africa story and it feels like they're bigger blocks of hp than Tokyo boss-types

standard fights melt just fine though

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

:v:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Pilchenstein posted:

No worries mate, you want any specific build advice or anything just shout.

I'll definitely hit you up on that once I get some time to tool around and see what they changed... in general, am I good with shotgun as my secondary, hammer as my primary, and just following the templates at https://forums.funcom.com/t/how-to-build-all-weapons/881 ? I'm hoping optimality doesn't matter too much, but classic TSW's combat system just never clicked for me, and since I heard SWL gets super-duper stingy with AP I want to make sure I'm not being wasteful.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What did you have to do to get that? Because I have found a reported a shitload of bugs and never got a shirt ):

Also someone with a high cabal rank change your cabal government type and see if it still sets everyone who isn't you to rank 1 for me. Because that bug was great and the official response on testlive was "oh a GM can revert that with a button press" and the GM response was "um...what? We don't have that power"

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Omi no Kami posted:

I'll definitely hit you up on that once I get some time to tool around and see what they changed... in general, am I good with shotgun as my secondary, hammer as my primary, and just following the templates at https://forums.funcom.com/t/how-to-build-all-weapons/881 ? I'm hoping optimality doesn't matter too much, but classic TSW's combat system just never clicked for me, and since I heard SWL gets super-duper stingy with AP I want to make sure I'm not being wasteful.
I haven't checked out that thread but I can tell you that there's no need at all to be optimal - I found a basic hammer and shotgun on launch day and used them all the way through to the end of Tokyo. I run hammer main, shotgun secondary using demolish, smash, eruption + passive, both barrels + passive, cqc + passive and reconstituting shells with the other two passive slots being restorative reload and fast & furious. If I wasn't running around with tank glyphs I'd swap fast & furious for the demolish passive though.

Len posted:

What did you have to do to get that? Because I have found a reported a shitload of bugs and never got a shirt ):
I reported a shitload of bugs and then asked for a shirt. :v:

And the cabal reset bug was still in at launch. Not gonna test it again now though lol.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Oh man, it sounds like they seriously rebalanced the difficulty then... when I played it the first time, I breezed through the first few areas with the tried and true strategy of "Here are two weapons I like, I'll buy some random skills that give them damage and healing and defensive powers". Everything went swimmingly until I hit blue mountain, at which point the game decided that I would love to smash face-first into a brick wall. It was mostly my own fault for not properly engaging with the mechanics (I never touched on cross-weapon synergies beyond "shotgun and hammer look neat together"), but the difficulty spike was sudden and really surprising.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
iirc there are no cross-weapon synergies at the moment. All is mainhand or offhand

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Dalris Othaine posted:

iirc there are no cross-weapon synergies at the moment. All is mainhand or offhand
Synergies are more nebulous now, like hammer and shotgun work well together when tanking because hammer buffs maximum health and shotgun has percentage heals etc but there's no passives that directly effect multiple weapons any more.

And yeah, one of the stated aims of the relaunch was to remove the blue mountain difficulty spike.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

The only thing I can think of that kind of counts as a weapon synergy is Shotgun's passive-enhanced Shell Salvage. It gives you 5 energy for both weapons.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Is there a website or a mod that will help me 100% every zone's quests and lore etc?

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
Yah, I believe the only real synergy is what works with your playstyle. Do you like running up and punching things in the face, kiting things around, or something in between? Do you want to be selfish and DPS, do you want to be a hero and tank, do you want to get yelled at by everybody and heal, or do you want to do some support/cleanups/purge work and have everybody tell you to switch to DPS?

I'm pretty sure everything works pretty well now for all zones. Though I see most people running pistols and something... so pistols must be good. I do AR/EL and most everything dies well before it gets in range of me.

Dalris Othaine posted:

I can't even think of that many passives that apply to multiple abilities of the same weapon type. It's pretty much slot an active and slot the passive that goes with it.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I was running shotgun/pistol for the longest time. Pistols are an excellent secondary because of that thing that gives you matched barrels if you wait long enough between pistol skills. So you go to town with your primary, and when the matched barrels pop you unleash a hard hitting pistol skill.