Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Russo Brothers said Hawkeye does have his own journey in Infinity War, and the common speculation is that he will actually assume the Ronin persona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Calling it now:
He will be absent until the third act until he saves someone in the Ronin costume. He'll make a quip about being busy and then launch a crazy splinter arrow.

They will not discuss it further.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

God, that was terrible. All the best Hawkeye comics are about Hawkeye being a slutty fuckup. But in Avengers 2 they gave him a family, ruling out using those stories later and completely changing the character. And the only narrative purpose of doing that was to make Black Widow feel worse about being a barren monster.

Yeah, it was a bit sad - the Hawkeye break was good in Ultron, but it was totally abandoning the awesome character of Hawkeye from the comics. Especially strange given the huge acclaim it'd been getting.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Waffleman_ posted:

The Russo Brothers said Hawkeye does have his own journey in Infinity War, and the common speculation is that he will actually assume the Ronin persona.

Maybe he'll have a small role in the next Ant-Man movie as well? His character seems like a good fit for that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Didn't Renner break both his arms early in filming?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Davros1 posted:

That wouldn't stop Hawkeye.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Lobok posted:

That wouldn't stop Hawkeye.

What kind of fetish is this?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Crossover amputee/archery fetish.

Obviously

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Didn't Green Arrow in the comic lose his arm and almost immediately sacrificed himself to stop a bomb, resulting in a few years in comic death?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Davros1 posted:

Google tells me he fractured them while filming Tag, and that it didn't impact anything he was currently working on.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Google tells me he fractured them while filming Tag, and that it didn't impact anything he was currently working on.

I knew he had broken his arms filming something.

Hey, maybe they can bring Whedon in and they can CGI working arms onto Renner!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm pretty sure Whedon was done with the MCU after Ultron and after...well...I don't think Marvel would even want him back.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rirse posted:

Didn't Green Arrow in the comic lose his arm and almost immediately sacrificed himself to stop a bomb, resulting in a few years in comic death?

Green Arrow has lost an arm in The Dark Knight Returns, is that what you're thinking of?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There was that parallel universe comic where Green Arrow lost an arm and was paralysed in a superhero fight and later became this anti-superhero activist.

It's shown in a flashback framed by a news report. Green Arrow's told, "This killer robot might be more than you can handle," but he says, "No way! I want to prove I'm more than just a guy with a bow and arrows!"

Then he gets wrecked and it cuts back the newscaster essentially saying (regrettably not in these exact words), "Unfortunately, he was just a guy with a bow and arrows."

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm pretty sure Whedon was done with the MCU after Ultron and after...well...I don't think Marvel would even want him back.

Seems more like he was done with the MCU before Ultron.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Sirotan posted:

drat, Tag looks pretty intense.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rough Lobster posted:

drat, Tag looks pretty intense.

Is Tag the story behind It?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lobok posted:

Is Tag the story behind It?

Are you referring to the long-form article about the group of friends who have been playing a decades long game of tag? Then yes, that's what this movie is based on.

Couldn't find the longford I had read, but this is from a shorter article from 4 years ago:

http://mynorthwest.com/30631/two-decade-game-of-tag-keeps-group-of-friends-together/

quote:

The group, members of which include corporate vice-presidents, atttorneys, and even a priest, have been ranging all over the U.S. and even Europe every February- hatching elaborate schemes- like one that concluded with an injury.

Patrick says Sean Raftis was the current “it” and conspired with Mike, another member of the group, to get Joe.

“So Sean flew down to San Jose and was picked up by Mike at the airport. He got in the trunk of Mike’s car and they drove to Joe’s house. Mike goes in and chats for a while then tells Joe, ‘You have to see what I just bought. Maybe it was new golf clubs or whatever, I don’t remember the ruse, but Mike lured Joe and Joe’s wife out to the car and popped the trunk. When a hand came out and grabbed Joe, Joe’s wife was so startled that she jumped back, fell over a curb and tore her ACL. Nasty but it happens.”

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 5, 2018

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

duz posted:

Seems more like he was done with the MCU before Ultron.

Yeah, while "promoting" the film he was so openly derisive about working for Marvel, I'm pretty shocked that he signed up to direct Justice League and Batgirl.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Rirse posted:

Superman ripped Green Arrow's arm in The Dark Knight Returns, he fires a kryptonite arrow at him when he's confronting Batman.

Roy Harper, who was his sidekick and went by Speedy, Arsenal and, eventually, Red Arrow, did lose an arm but got replaced with a cybernetic prosthetic.

Hawkeye tends to be deaf in the main Marvel continuity, but, for some reason, writers like to make him blind or almost blind in Alternate Future storylines.

This was your daily reminder that comics are dumb.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, while "promoting" the film he was so openly derisive about working for Marvel, I'm pretty shocked that he signed up to direct Justice League and Batgirl.

He ain't doing Batgirl anymore, thank goodness

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Davros1 posted:

He ain't doing Batgirl anymore, thank goodness

The reason for it is genuinely hilarious.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I know he said “I didn’t have a story” but what I think he meant was “Warner Bros doesn’t want the story I wanted to tell.”

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

lelandjs posted:

I know he said “I didn’t have a story” but what I think he meant was “Warner Bros doesn’t want the story I wanted to tell.”

Think about this: in all likelihood he was being paid a salary for months, to say at the end "Don't have anything."

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Think about this: in all likelihood he was being paid a salary for months, to say at the end "Don't have anything."
I work with a lot of people like this.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's really funny. Taking him at his word, even if he didn't want to mine the decades of Batgirl stories for ideas, I love the idea that he couldn't come up with a "young action lady" story, which has been his TV bread and butter for years.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

lelandjs posted:

Yeah, I mean, if WB really wants to differentiate themselves from the MCU, then they really need to do something very different. They can't keep on doing these movies so generically action hero film. How about making it Batgurl and give the film to someone like John Cameron Mitchell or Lee Daniels.

While Wonder Woman was good, at best, it wasn't anything bold or visionary. Take what Marvel did with Thor Ragnarok and Black Panther, and give it to auteurs with a unique voice, and then give them complete freedom.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

lelandjs posted:

I really hate how Warner Brothers has messed up the DC movies. First they butcher Suicide Squad in editing, then ruin Justice League with reshoots, and finally reject Josh Whedon's Batgirl script just because of all the scenes where a middle-aged bald man massages Batgirl's feet.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There are a number of reasons Whedon could have been fired. He failed to make Justice League into a box office success while at the same time pissing off DCEU fans. His ex publicly talked about him cheating on her with actresses he promised with better jobs in Hollywood, all this while they were selling WW as a feminist movie and having just kicked out Brett Ratner. Whedon's history with Marvel also showed he's just not compatible with a "cinematic universe" plan involving multiple filmmakers.

Here is a poster:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I think the tagline would be more effective if any action movie ever followed any rules

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samuringa posted:

I think the tagline would be more effective if any action movie ever followed any rules

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
alternatively,

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Here is a poster:

Who asked for this?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
If you're going to make a ridiculous movie, at least make a ridiculous poster

https://twitter.com/warnerjp/status/981622701331640320

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Sicaro 2 is going to rule in a completely different, utterly trashy way.

...I hope :ohdear:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Samuringa posted:

If you're going to make a ridiculous movie, at least make a ridiculous poster

https://twitter.com/warnerjp/status/981622701331640320

Part of me wishes the Shining portion wasn't such a secret just because it'd make for weirder posters.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Part of me wishes the Shining portion wasn't such a secret just because it'd make for weirder posters.

Just have the creepy twins standing on the top of that car in the lower right.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I'm the :420:

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, it was a bit sad - the Hawkeye break was good in Ultron, but it was totally abandoning the awesome character of Hawkeye from the comics. Especially strange given the huge acclaim it'd been getting.

I liked that it acknowledged that (the film version of) Hawkeye isn't on the same level as the other superheroes, but that grants him the right to a normal life with a wife and kids etc.

Captain America realizes that ubermensch like himself are inhuman and can never have what Hawkeye has, while Tony Stark fails to make peace with this reality and stubbornly swears he could if he wanted.
Elsewhere, Black Widow and Hulk also come to terms with their abnormality and redefine companionship/family as demigods.

It's the only good part of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Except the black widow part is incredibly badly done. "We can't be together! I'm a mutilated monster! I'm... infertile! A MONSTER I SAY"