Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

The Muppets On PCP posted:

lol $160 on reverb for an fz-2 (the pedal that behringer is a ripoff of) and that's significantly cheaper than ebay

good grief

drat- many years ago I got one off craigslist for $40, then flipped it for double that. I was stoked at the time, but I guess I should have hung onto it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
http://blog.reddogmusic.co.uk/2018/03/30/akai-the-noo/

Unironically would. If only on the strength of the name.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Roland has a line of digital modelling accordions so I think the market has room for a synth bagpipe.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Wait that was posted on March 30th, does that mean it's not an april fools joke?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Is pedal buttons like a real problem? I just tried mine with bare feet and they were all just fine, even the mxr-style ones. And I wear socks and shoes (or slippers) pretty much every non showering non sleeping moment because my feet get cold easily

E: although I didn't stomp, just toe press because that smaller motion is a lot easier to not bump knobs with on compact pedals so it's sort of a habit

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Anime Reference posted:

Roland has a line of digital modelling accordions so I think the market has room for a synth bagpipe.

I’m sure someone has modified a decent digital bagpipe for it. Hell, I’ve considered getting a set of V-pipes because my dogs hate my uilleann pipes so much it’s hard to practice as much as I’d like, and I think they can do MIDI. I’m pretty sure Fagerström pipes also do.

Also, in trying to find videos of people using electronic bagpipes to play decidedly non-bagpipe sounds, I discovered that there are a lot of weird nerds with Minecraft vendettas against something sharing the same name. So now I just keep imagining hordes of nerds full of hatred regarding the pipes, which means I need to learn more IRA tunes even if it’s more of a Protestant instrument these days.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Gringostar posted:

i had one built with 2 loops and an amp channel switch and it owns being able to switch between clean/dirt/delay+mod/wah+boost or fuzz all at one location

I considered getting one of those loop switchers or a dedicated board but I use mine more for synth stuff so it's a lot of varied signal chains. I have a depressingly large collection of pedals now but it takes up less space than a depressing collection of guitars I guess.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Round clicky buttons aren't quite as comfy barefoot as Boss-style.

In a similar vein, the click of pedals drives my dog nuts. Whammy two octaves up? Fine. Pinch harmonic trem dive Dimebag noises? Fine. Feedback, wah, high notes, fast modulation rates, you name it, it's fine, except turning on or off a clicky button suddenly means its time to bark and attack my foot.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Round clicky buttons aren't quite as comfy barefoot as Boss-style.

In a similar vein, the click of pedals drives my dog nuts. Whammy two octaves up? Fine. Pinch harmonic trem dive Dimebag noises? Fine. Feedback, wah, high notes, fast modulation rates, you name it, it's fine, except turning on or off a clicky button suddenly means its time to bark and attack my foot.

My cat has started coming into my studio when he hears me working on music, jumps up onto the back of my chair, and lays down right behind my head. I like to consider him my executive producer.

Funny enough, I was always a dog person growing up and didn't think I would like cats. But my wife and I wanted pets and with both of us working, we wouldn't be able to spend enough time with the dog. We ended up getting two cats and they are just the best. Tons of personality, very affectionate, and they both like hanging out in the studio with me.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I really want barefoot buttons but they’re stupidly expensive

The plastic button toppers are pretty cheap on eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-pcs-Foo...qQAAOSwnVhaOTkV

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Actuary X posted:

I have a whole bunch of these on my pedalboard and I dig them. They fit nearly everything except a few odd pedals that either have a smaller switch or the power LED is too close.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Actuary X posted:

I’m cautious about the long term durability but you can’t beat the price for making my pedalboard more comfortable and colorful. Neat!

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

ugh

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Is that a drop in floyd replacement for a tunamatic bridge? that's actually kinda awesome.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
That's a crime, you've committed a crime

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Gold hardware :barf:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah that terrifies but I love gold hardware

Been thinking about whether I want one of these or not

:swoon:

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m cautious about the long term durability but you can’t beat the price for making my pedalboard more comfortable and colorful. Neat!

Depends on the fit but I've found them pretty durable, and the colour coding is nice because I'm a blind, ham-footed idiot on stage. Won't fit certain types of footswitch tho eg my bassist's origin comp (although why he'd ever turn it off is beyond me)

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

Kilometers Davis posted:

You absolutely do.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Chalupa Joe posted:

Gold hardware :barf:

So loving agreed.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Concatenation posted:

Depends on the fit but I've found them pretty durable, and the colour coding is nice because I'm a blind, ham-footed idiot on stage. Won't fit certain types of footswitch tho eg my bassist's origin comp (although why he'd ever turn it off is beyond me)

Nice. I have no stage playing plans right now anyway so durability wouldn’t be a big deal.

Sadsack posted:

You absolutely do.

I want a classic but modern superstrat this year and it’s either going to be one of those or an Ibanez unless something else catches my eye. The Charvels are sexy as heck though and a hard tail is my safe zone.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This is beautiful.

I'm slowly realizing that this thread is less about stupid music poo poo and surfboard guitars and more about our collective enjoyment of really loving weird-rear end designs.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Is it available in blackened nickel?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

s.i.r.e. posted:

This is beautiful.

I'm slowly realizing that this thread is less about stupid music poo poo and surfboard guitars and more about our collective enjoyment of really loving weird-rear end designs.

This last year or so has seen me 100% embracing my love of dumb music and dumb guitars. I’m so much happier and better off because of it. gently caress being cool. Be weird and dumb.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I love weird and dumb. Not a fan of gold hardware...

Kilometers Davis posted:

... but this I think kinda compliments the guitar?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

god at least put a kahler on the les paul.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Kilometers Davis posted:

This last year or so has seen me 100% embracing my love of dumb music and dumb guitars. I’m so much happier and better off because of it. gently caress being cool. Be weird and dumb.

I'm with you there. I bought an Ibanez Jem Jr towards the end of last year and I love it. A white Ibanez RG with a goddamn flowery vine inlay and a monkey grip for christ sake.
And I'm even thinking about replacing the flat white pickguard with an even more flamboyant pearloid one.

Embracing stupid music poo poo is fun sometimes.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 5, 2018

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

TIL: Joe Bonamassa bought a Fender Twin off of Steven Seagal and then used that amp as the basis for his signature Fender Twin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IThh8Ye3PvM&t=425s
P.S. See how long you can keep watching without wanting to kill yourself.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

TIL: Joe Bonamassa bought a Fender Twin off of Steven Seagal and then used that amp as the basis for his signature Fender Twin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IThh8Ye3PvM&t=425s
P.S. See how long you can keep watching without wanting to kill yourself.
20-seconds, gently caress that guy.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctx86V-GI8A

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Verizian posted:

Is it available in blackened nickel?

Yep.
https://floydrose.com/products/frtx?variant=29837643474

Aesthetically I'd prefer a Kahler for the throwback appeal (Kahlers on Les Pauls was briefly a thing.) No idea what a Kahler is like functionally since I've never even seen one IRL, let alone used one -- I'm guessing there's a reason Floyd won the locking trem war, though.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Kilometers Davis posted:

Every time I see one of these posted I get the urge to buy one. I think I need a combination of more practice and selling a couple of guitars to be ready for a minimalist super strat in my life though.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Ok so this is stupid music poo poo but not in a gear way:

Just saw Doyle (Misfits guitarist) play a set (no Misfits songs, his music is a hybrid of bad pantera and the 50s inspired swingy stuff that any sane person skips on actual Misfits records), the venue got downgraded from a 400+ capacity club to a 120ish capacity pub instead due to lack of sales. He's offering a 'VIP' package for £40 where you can meet him and get a signed photograph, as soon as the set was over he beelined back to his bus making zero eye contact with anyone. One of the support bands had a table with a dummy and a fake chainsaw that made the smoke alarms go off with its petrol fumes.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

NonzeroCircle posted:

Just saw Doyle (Misfits guitarist) play a set (no Misfits songs, his music is a hybrid of bad pantera and the 50s inspired swingy stuff that any sane person skips on actual Misfits records), the venue got downgraded from a 400+ capacity club to a 120ish capacity pub instead due to lack of sales. He's offering a 'VIP' package for £40 where you can meet him and get a signed photograph, as soon as the set was over he beelined back to his bus making zero eye contact with anyone. One of the support bands had a table with a dummy and a fake chainsaw that made the smoke alarms go off with its petrol fumes.

lol What the fuuuuuuuuuck.

I love these awful stories, more please goons.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

NonzeroCircle posted:

:perfect:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This video rules and Doyle is pretty funny. He doesn't know any songs besides Misfits, is embarrassed to play in front of anyone without distortion, and his most important piece of gear is band-aids. The cool part is he actually builds poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFTd_Q45xX0

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The venue was changed 3 weeks ago, no posters outside the venue at all.

The bit I'm sad I missed was apparently when his band were setting up he insisted on doing his weights in the bar area, the guy is hench for someone eligible for a pensioner bus- pass.

My mates who were supporting took every opportunity to take the piss out of £40 vip tickets.

I'm fairly certain the singer had dementia, 10 out of 11 songs were introduced with 'This is a love song... You can dance to it if you want'.

An entertaining, if very stupid night.

Also, why is it soundguys can't ever mix electronic instruments/parts in a remotely balanced way live? A couple of the bands had synths and drum machine parts (not played by anyone on stage so I guess clips launched from Ableton Live or something?) and they were so out of whack with the stage volume- this wasn't unique to this show either, it seems to be the case more often than not. The bands sound fine but as soon as anything that isn't a guitar, bass, or voice gets involved its either twice as loud or borderline unnoticeable.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

NonzeroCircle posted:

Also, why is it soundguys can't ever mix electronic instruments/parts in a remotely balanced way live? A couple of the bands had synths and drum machine parts (not played by anyone on stage so I guess clips launched from Ableton Live or something?) and they were so out of whack with the stage volume- this wasn't unique to this show either, it seems to be the case more often than not. The bands sound fine but as soon as anything that isn't a guitar, bass, or voice gets involved its either twice as loud or borderline unnoticeable.

That was every gig with my previous band unless we brought our own soundman. Usually you couldn’t hear poo poo and sometimes it was stupid loud. Must be really loving hard to mix one pre mixed stereo track with band instruments.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Probably a great question for the live sound thread. Could have to do with the audio qualit(ies) or the sample, experience of the live sound engineer. And whether the live sound engineer knows there's samples and stuff.

Best thing to do is don't do any of that crap live unless you're a big enough band that has their own soundman to bring to shows. But that's my opinion... (No actual audio engineering experience, just a drummer. :smith:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
IMHE, having a sound/foh engineer as part of your crew is always a good idea. I know that nowadays money's tighter and that, thanks to the technology being there, you can sorta be your own soundman without sounding like poo poo (mostly), but for reals: In my first band, at the beginning, the keyboard player was the only one who knew how to use a console properly, so whenever possible, he was saving our asses from sounding like poo poo whereas a local guy woulda let us to die.