Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

5-HT posted:

gently caress, at least I'll have something warm to contrast w/ when I'm mixing. have too many bright headphones atm.

A very large amount of audiophile stuff is bullshit, especially when it comes to DACs, but headphones are actually where there often is a significant difference in what you hear. The problem of loving music is that you have to wade through all this bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ntan1 posted:

A very large amount of audiophile stuff is bullshit, especially when it comes to DACs, but headphones are actually where there often is a significant difference in what you hear. The problem of loving music is that you have to wade through all this bullshit.
Jitter in toslink cables is my favorite: https://www.cnet.com/news/the-audiophiliac-asks-the-experts-do-digital-audio-connections-sound-different/

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What is the difference between a miniDSP and say Equalizer APO for my pc?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lowness 72 posted:

What is the difference between a miniDSP and say Equalizer APO for my pc?

For what purpose?

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

ntan1 posted:

this is true. that's why I've stuck with a 2x2M m-audio interface as my main for most anything I need, and a nice little smsl v2 unit for any harder to drive headphones I have. works wonders.

stumbled on this thread while reading over some things at gear slutz on the lcd-x's coming in. i've never seen someone so thoroughly lose their mind on the headphone end of things. kind of highlights what happens when you go down that rabbit hole imo.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/1122097-desperately-need-linear-headphone-price-no-object-everything-i-tried-garbage.html

5-HT fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 29, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

5-HT posted:

this is true. that's why I've stuck with a 2x2M m-audio interface as my main for most anything I need, and a nice little smsl v2 unit for any harder to drive headphones I have. works wonders.

stumbled on this thread while reading over some things at gear slutz on the lcd-x's coming in. i've never seen someone so thoroughly lose their mind on the headphone end of things. kind of highlights what happens when you go down that rabbit hole imo.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/1122097-desperately-need-linear-headphone-price-no-object-everything-i-tried-garbage.html
At least he admits the HD650 is the best all around headphone :smug:

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

For what purpose?

I read the minidsp manual from their website and it sounds like you can use it for hooking up a sub and for EQing your music. There's also something about using a mic for room correction but I don't really understand it.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't understand why I want or need a minidsp but I've seen it mentioned on various sites so I'm trying to understand what you do with it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I just bought the Shure 1540 ($500) for listening to at work and goddamn are they good as gently caress.

I use the Sennheiser HD600 open back for at home listening, Sennheiser IE-80s for running.

Anyway, recently my phone has been sending tons of interference noises when I use it with either of my over-ears and my headphone amp. I never hear it with the IE-80s plugged straight into the phone. Should I get another DAC for my phone to cut out the interference? I have a DAC at work (my work computer is crappy) but it is USB so I can't plug it into my phone.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Depending on the DAC, you can probably plug it in to your phone via a USB OTG cable.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
What phone and what DAC?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

grack posted:

What phone and what DAC?

Note 8
Fiio e10k

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

5-HT posted:

they're not wireless no. there's no such thing as a wireless with big ear cups save for the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home Wireless which still isn't out in the USA, and costs at least $799 plus on release. really the Sony's that I suggested or qirex are your best bet for overall performance if wireless is a must. otherwise get the Beyerdynamics and be happy.

they're not as good as the Sony hear.On's when it comes to overall quality, and the hear.On's can be found for between $95 - $130 which is perfect for the budget.

799 is way over my budget so I’ll have to pass on those. I’ve been looking for first edition hear.on headphones but there’s only 1 store who has them available where I live and they’re still slightly over 200 euros :aaaaa:

The Sony ones qirex linked are a lot more reasonably priced (for my budget) but if ANC isn’t a must, would the Bose Soundlink II also be a good alternative?

Or should I just go for the Beyerdynamics, because the sound quality is just so much better?

Edit: I noticed the BeyerDynamic DT 990 (32 Ohm) is on sale somewhere for around 150 (compared to the DT 770 for 120ish) is that worth the upgrade?

I’m really in doubt if I should go for wireless or not I guess. Maybe I should first make up my mind for what I really want.

LochNessMonster fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 30, 2018

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

799 is way over my budget so I’ll have to pass on those. I’ve been looking for first edition hear.on headphones but there’s only 1 store who has them available where I live and they’re still slightly over 200 euros :aaaaa:

The Sony ones qirex linked are a lot more reasonably priced (for my budget) but if ANC isn’t a must, would the Bose Soundlink II also be a good alternative?

Or should I just go for the Beyerdynamics, because the sound quality is just so much better?

Edit: I noticed the BeyerDynamic DT 990 (32 Ohm) is on sale somewhere for around 150 (compared to the DT 770 for 120ish) is that worth the upgrade?

I’m really in doubt if I should go for wireless or not I guess. Maybe I should first make up my mind for what I really want.

Its too subjective without listening first. Just buy them and return them if you aren't happy

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

LochNessMonster posted:

No. Bose has the best ANC, but middling sound quality.

quote:

If wired is an option, always go wired.

quote:

It's not an upgrade, it's a different kind of headphone. They're open headphones which tend to be more accurate and have better soundstage at the expense of not being sealed at all. 990s are very very bright, so you should try before you buy unless you're already into grados and the like.

quote:

If you value good sound quality and convenience, go wired. Wireless always sounds worse and is always a pain in the rear end to manage, relatively speaking.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

blue squares posted:

Note 8
Fiio e10k

I'm surprised that the Note 8 is giving you so many problems, the DAC is supposed to be pretty good. Maybe something like a Fiio Q1 with a USB-C OTG cable, or Hifimediy Type C Dac?

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

5-HT posted:

I hate to say it but I find myself agreeing with many of this fellow's impressions. I guess I'm a cynical bastard. Missing microdetails are one thing, but many headphones with quite hefty prices have either a missing octave, or sibilance, or unnatural timbre... I find that totally unacceptable.

Although good amp pairings and brain burn-in help compensate for a headphone's problems. That's another thing... it takes time to get used to a new sound, but your brain can learn to reshape itself around the frequency responds it's being fed, and stretch it into a 'mask' over the music. So really he needs to go back and re-listen to everything for two weeks to get used to it.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

RoboCop 3 posted:

Now I have a more quiet living arrangement, and I find myself missing the HD600s.

I couldn't take it anymore, and I just did a 3 AM impulse buy on a pair of HD 650s and a Schiit Modi 2 + Magni 3 combo. I was seriously considering the Valhalla 2 or Lyr 3, but I managed to reel myself in a little. I should probably actually listen to the HD 650s for awhile before I go down the vacuum tube rabbit hole.

Excited! :)

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

No. Bose has the best ANC, but middling sound quality.

If wired is an option, always go wired.

It's not an upgrade, it's a different kind of headphone. They're open headphones which tend to be more accurate and have better soundstage at the expense of not being sealed at all. 990s are very very bright, so you should try before you buy unless you're already into grados and the like.

If you value good sound quality and convenience, go wired. Wireless always sounds worse and is always a pain in the rear end to manage, relatively speaking.

Thanks for the advice. Guess I’ll go wired after all. I didn’t see the 990 was open, so that’s a no go (intending to use it at the office too). I’m gonna give the 770 a try.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I’m looking for a new set of headphones for work with a connecting band that goes behind the head. I’ve been using Koss Porta pro for a while and recently realized maybe I can get one that doesn’t mess with my hair every day? I’m having a hard time filtering reviews by that one quality.

Changeable / paintable face plates are not a hard requirement, but I am a sucker for stuff like that.

Budget - Unsure, my last pair for this was Koss Porta Pro 5+ years ago so my sense of value is skewed. There’s no rush so I can save up more if needed. I can justify spending a bit if the quality and life time are enough.
Source - Primarily an iPhone’s 3.5mm, sometimes a switch’s headphone jack. I am the sort of person who insists on flac files.
Isolation Requirements - I’d prefer not. These are mostly for a workplace cube and it’s quiet enough.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Not in ear or earbuds. On ear preferred. Over ear not out of the question.
Preferred Tonal Balance - The koss porta Pro has been my standard for maybe a decade now, so I guess I’d say something like that.
Past Headphones - Right now Koss Porta Pro for everything but at home desktop computer. I’ve had some good in ear buds in the past but I’m happy to not deal with that any more. At home I use Audio Technica ATH-T400.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

this one is great, it doesnt touch the top of your head at all

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Elastic-Headphone-Bluetooth-headset/dp/B072FN6F1F

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Serenade posted:

I’m looking for a new set of headphones for work with a connecting band that goes behind the head. I’ve been using Koss Porta pro for a while and recently realized maybe I can get one that doesn’t mess with my hair every day? I’m having a hard time filtering reviews by that one quality.

Changeable / paintable face plates are not a hard requirement, but I am a sucker for stuff like that.

Budget - Unsure, my last pair for this was Koss Porta Pro 5+ years ago so my sense of value is skewed. There’s no rush so I can save up more if needed. I can justify spending a bit if the quality and life time are enough.
Source - Primarily an iPhone’s 3.5mm, sometimes a switch’s headphone jack. I am the sort of person who insists on flac files.
Isolation Requirements - I’d prefer not. These are mostly for a workplace cube and it’s quiet enough.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Not in ear or earbuds. On ear preferred. Over ear not out of the question.
Preferred Tonal Balance - The koss porta Pro has been my standard for maybe a decade now, so I guess I’d say something like that.
Past Headphones - Right now Koss Porta Pro for everything but at home desktop computer. I’ve had some good in ear buds in the past but I’m happy to not deal with that any more. At home I use Audio Technica ATH-T400.

So you're like the one person on the planet that still wants that style of headphone. Just get a pair of Koss KSC75s and drill out the face plate (look for "Koss KSC75 mods")

grack fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 3, 2018

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Anyone try one of these

http://www.klipsch.com/products/heritage-headphone-amplifier

yet? Looking for a balanced amp for some lcd-x that are coming that has a switch for headphone and rear output.

edit: fuggit, just got one for $450 from an authorized dealer

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 3, 2018

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Anyone try one of these

http://www.klipsch.com/products/heritage-headphone-amplifier

yet? Looking for a balanced amp for some lcd-x that are coming that has a switch for headphone and rear output.

edit: fuggit, just got one for $450 from an authorized dealer

just going by the specs on paper, seems like a pretty decent deal

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

5-HT posted:

if you're wanting a wired solution that's noise cancelling, would strongly suggest the anc9's from audio technica. amazing at their pricepoint.
https://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-ANC9-QuietPoint-Noise-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B007KWLF5K

Been working in some noisy environments and realized I probably should go for ANC but may drop the wireless requirement.

The ANC 9 is out of stock everywhere here. I do see the ANC70 at some places, is that a comparable set? If it’s of much lower quality I could order the ANC 9 through Amazon. Even with import tax that’d be pretty reasonable. Returning it will be a pita though.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

LochNessMonster posted:

Been working in some noisy environments and realized I probably should go for ANC but may drop the wireless requirement.

The ANC 9 is out of stock everywhere here. I do see the ANC70 at some places, is that a comparable set? If it’s of much lower quality I could order the ANC 9 through Amazon. Even with import tax that’d be pretty reasonable. Returning it will be a pita though.

ANC 9's are decent as well if you want to go that route. personally I'd want to get the DT770's.

here's a good list of headphones who do the best vs the worst in the noise isolation aspect

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tests/isolation/noise-isolation-cancellation-passive-active

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

5-HT posted:

ANC 9's are decent as well if you want to go that route. personally I'd want to get the DT770's.

here's a good list of headphones who do the best vs the worst in the noise isolation aspect

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tests/isolation/noise-isolation-cancellation-passive-active

Any idea how the ANC70 holds up to the ANC9? The latter is out of stock everywhere (and listed as not coming back either) while the 70 is available.

Is the isolation from a DT770 so good that it’s not worth looking at noise cancelling?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

RoboCop 3 posted:

I couldn't take it anymore, and I just did a 3 AM impulse buy on a pair of HD 650s and a Schiit Modi 2 + Magni 3 combo. I was seriously considering the Valhalla 2 or Lyr 3, but I managed to reel myself in a little. I should probably actually listen to the HD 650s for awhile before I go down the vacuum tube rabbit hole.

Excited! :)

To this day I still frequently pull out my HD600s for a good listen. They just manage to do some things so right.

Also my ears never get too hot wearing them which is a pretty important thing for half the year in Australia.

I'm too afraid of what might happen so I never look at tubes.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

LochNessMonster posted:

Any idea how the ANC70 holds up to the ANC9? The latter is out of stock everywhere (and listed as not coming back either) while the 70 is available.

Is the isolation from a DT770 so good that it’s not worth looking at noise cancelling?

the Beyer's passive isolation is insanely good so if I were you I'd go w/ them. the ANC9 is good for noise cancelling, but when it comes to the type of noise it'll depend on what you're trying to filter out.... low rumbly sounds, wind, etc can be filtered. conversations not as much on those cans.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
LCD-X review

Heavy, glad i got the carbon fiber headband

Sound is wonderful and the pelican case is epic.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
rule of thumb: if you're trying to tune out airplane, train or other motor noise, get ANC. For literally everything else, go with physical isolation instead. ANC does absolutely nothing for short bursts of noise like speech, music or car horns and the like.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

5-HT posted:

the Beyer's passive isolation is insanely good so if I were you I'd go w/ them. the ANC9 is good for noise cancelling, but when it comes to the type of noise it'll depend on what you're trying to filter out.... low rumbly sounds, wind, etc can be filtered. conversations not as much on those cans.

The ANC9 is impossible to order around here (EU) and the ANC70 (it’s successor I guess) gets less favorable reviews from what I’ve found.

I stumbled upon a deal for the sony hear on 2 for just short of 200 bucks so I’ve ordered a pair of those as they also seem to come highly recommended.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

rule of thumb: if you're trying to tune out airplane, train or other motor noise, get ANC. For literally everything else, go with physical isolation instead. ANC does absolutely nothing for short bursts of noise like speech, music or car horns and the like.

I’ll give the Hear On 2’s a try to see if it works for me, otherwise I’ll return them and go for the DT 770’s.

I’d like to use them in a lot of different (noisy) environments, most of the time will be in an open office environment. But if speech is not blocked by ANC I doubt if they’re going to do much for me.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I bought Plantronics Backbeat Fits on Amazon for cycling because I like the form factor, and they’ve got a bunch of good reviews, but drat these are the worst sounding headphones I’ve ever worn. Even podcasts sound like they’re echoing out of a cave.

They came in a thermoseal plastic pouch without a box, and the seller swears it’s “frustration free e-commerce packaging.” Plantronics says they never sell without a box, and at best I may have gotten a repackaged return unit

I’m just worried that these aren’t fake and if I buy a confirmably-legit pair, they’ll still sound this bad.

Does anyone own a pair of Backbeats and NOT think they sound appallingly terrible?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

I bought Plantronics Backbeat Fits on Amazon for cycling because I like the form factor, and they’ve got a bunch of good reviews, but drat these are the worst sounding headphones I’ve ever worn. Even podcasts sound like they’re echoing out of a cave.

They came in a thermoseal plastic pouch without a box, and the seller swears it’s “frustration free e-commerce packaging.” Plantronics says they never sell without a box, and at best I may have gotten a repackaged return unit

I’m just worried that these aren’t fake and if I buy a confirmably-legit pair, they’ll still sound this bad.

Does anyone own a pair of Backbeats and NOT think they sound appallingly terrible?

I use them for jogging and while they're pretty weak for music, I've never minded the sound quality for audio books. I assume podcasts should be in the same category, so if yours sound obviously bad, you may have gotten screwed.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Amp arrived, need to get sick so i can leave work early

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 6, 2018

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Don Lapre posted:

Amp arrived, need to get sick so i can leave work early

Those switches look really satisfying to flip.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Those switches look really satisfying to flip.

They are, they are spring loaded and you can hear a relay click after you flip them.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My first pair of Koss Porta Pros was around like 1987 maybe.. wow. Still making the same pair?!!

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

redeyes posted:

My first pair of Koss Porta Pros was around like 1987 maybe.. wow. Still making the same pair?!!

They're good headphones.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Don Lapre posted:

They are, they are spring loaded and you can hear a relay click after you flip them.

unf just like my pioneer sx780

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

eddiewalker posted:

I'd return them and/or file a claim with Amazon. They certainly aren't legit if shipped in a plastic pouch. That said, sound quality tends to be pretty low down on the list for must-haves when talking about wireless workout headphones. Durability, battery life and water proofing tend to be much more important features.

redeyes posted:

They're still good headphones.