Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
hold on, neither one of you is orthodox, how do you also experience Challenges Of Computer Technology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's just hard to tell a computer apart from a crocodile regardless of religious affiliation

really it's just chauvinism to think otherwise

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Mr Enderby posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not an Anglican thing.

OK keep doing your thing.

Jokes aside, and for all its faults, I truly love the fact that Anglicanism ties itself in knots to avoid Schism and bad feeling between its members. No-one should want to have to call their neighbours heretics. If we sometimes err on the side of laxity, then we do it out of a love of unity and fraternity.
That said, Diocese of South Carolina are still dicks.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

ulmont posted:

That's a funny way to spell "Stellaris."

Excuse me, in Stellaris can you order your dimwitted firstborn son to lead a tiny army against impossible odds in a Uriah-style attempt to get him killed so that your vastly superior secondborn son will become the heir apparent? Because the best Paradox game strongly compels you to do that.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

HEY GUNS posted:

hold on, neither one of you is orthodox, how do you also experience Challenges Of Computer Technology

Oddly enough, true story, last night, I came across some Unclean Images and thankfully by the great grace and mercy of the Lord our God, we lost electricity and it only came back today at noon.

Perhaps these challenges are blessings, sent from above?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
in my internet experience, at least internet 2.0, you don't "come across" dirty pictures, you seek them out

i mean unless a wedding ring is involved, of course, but that's not a dirty picture just a portrait of an old friend

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

HEY GUNS posted:

Computer technology gives Rod Dreher and his ilk a place to publish. It's an Orthodox problem at its root, but it becomes one universal.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Senju Kannon posted:

in my internet experience, at least internet 2.0, you don't "come across" dirty pictures, you seek them out

i mean unless a wedding ring is involved, of course, but that's not a dirty picture just a portrait of an old friend

That old friend has gotten us all through some hard times.

And unfortunately, the internet is not nearly as nice as it once was.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Mr Enderby posted:

Jokes aside, and for all its faults, I truly love the fact that Anglicanism ties itself in knots to avoid Schism and bad feeling between its members. No-one should want to have to call their neighbours heretics. If we sometimes err on the side of laxity, then we do it out of a love of unity and fraternity.

anglicans seem to have smoothed over theological differences by creating the most complex polity ever known to mankind

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

shame on an IGA posted:

That said, Diocese of South Carolina are still dicks.

Umm...why?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Pershing posted:

Umm...why?

They split off from the Episcopal Church in the US in 2012 when those guys just didn't hate on the gays enough :qq: They're distinct from the Episcopal Church *in* South Carolina, which is comprised of those parishes that refused to go along into schism with the diocese. I don't know too much about it, but the whole situation looks like a proper clusterfuck

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Question from todays Danish class: Can you make a hole in an angel?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Tias posted:

I don't know how to answer that question.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
that sounds dirty

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Tias posted:

And angel can have as many holes as it wants.

John Milton posted:

For Spirits when they please
Can either Sex assume, or both; so soft
And uncompounded is thir Essence pure,
Not ti'd or manacl'd with joint or limb,
Nor founded on the brittle strength of bones,
Like cumbrous flesh; but in what shape they
choose
Dilated or condens’t, bright or obscure,
Can execute thir aery purposes,
And works of love or enmity fulfil.
[…]
“Whatever pure thou in the body enjoyest,
(And pure thou wert created) we enjoy
In eminence; and obstacle find none
Of membrane, joint, or limb, exclusive bars;
Easier than air with air, if Spirits embrace,
Total they mix, union of pure with pure
Desiring, nor restrained conveyance need,
As flesh to mix with flesh, or soul with soul.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

an angel can make a hole in you :pervert:

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
but can an angel make a hole in one? asking for the president

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

If they can help in the Outfield, I don't see why not.

Tias
May 25, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

an angel can make a hole in you :pervert:

Oh, to witness the pikes of heaven

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Yo what's up with Satan. Why is he so obsessed with destruction? He still mad God kicked him out of Heaven?

I'm also curious what the mainstream thoughts on Satan are. Do you see him as a literal entity roaming the earth, or something else?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Alpha Mayo posted:

Yo what's up with Satan. Why is he so obsessed with destruction? He still mad God kicked him out of Heaven?

I'm also curious what the mainstream thoughts on Satan are. Do you see him as a literal entity roaming the earth, or something else?

Satan is the embodiment of spite. He can't have Heaven, so he'll do his damnedest to keep you out of there too. Misery loves company. It's pathetic and sad but we must be careful to remain detached as he is the author of much wickedness in men's hearts and so must not let him in.

I don't try to understand him or understand evil, but I feel that his influence is one we easily recognise when we see the strong crush the weak, or the rich abuse the poor.

Course I'm not mainstream. What's mainstream? Who knows.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alpha Mayo posted:

ask a hundred christians who the devil is and you'll get a hundred different answers. everything from a literal dude causing people to sin to a metaphor for humanity's darker impulses. there's probably even some who thinks he's god's equal, informed more by pop culture than the pulpit

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
The devil is also a servant of God, but it's twisted and hosed up. The world's first traitor. Probably responsible for the tiny hosed up thoughts that gather in my brain when I haven't been to confession in a few months. But it too will be redeemed at the end of time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

When exactly in the canon did we swap over to Satan King of Evil instead of Satan Prosecuting Attorney anyway?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm gonna guess medieval poo poo, that's usually where things get weird like mary magdalene being a sex worker

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the concept of devil/satan was also influenced by other old near east religions. iirc some ancient Jews developed the idea a lot further when they lived among people who followed a religion with two gods, one good one and one evil one

Tias
May 25, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the concept of devil/satan was also influenced by other old near east religions. iirc some ancient Jews developed the idea a lot further when they lived among people who followed a religion with two gods, one good one and one evil one

How do modern monotheists square historical facts like these? I mean, I don't mind so much because I'm not really monotheist, but if your archenemy wasn't a servant but another god, that's got to raise some questions.

P-Mack posted:

Yeah, its actually playable unlike HoI3. The air and navy stuff doesn't work great and the AI occasionally shits itself but it's still a million times better than 3.

:qq: holy crap, what the gently caress did I get myself into this game is ultra hard and also I can't stop playing it :qq:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Tias posted:

How do modern monotheists square historical facts like these?

Me, I say that cognitive dissonance and limited-mindedness are near-universal human properties, but fruitfulness is not.

quote:

:qq: holy crap, what the gently caress did I get myself into this game is ultra hard and also I can't stop playing it :qq:

For me, I did a lot of learning as Spain. The Spanish Civil War breaks out soon, and you choose to side with either the fascists (hiss, hiss) or the republicans (intriguing...). Both sides are balanced, most of the fighting will just focus on land and not air or sea, and there won't be significant foreign intervention. Once you win, you can participate in the escalating global conflict, though of course Spain won't have the industrial or military strength of the super powers.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Tias posted:

How do modern monotheists square historical facts like these? I mean, I don't mind so much because I'm not really monotheist, but if your archenemy wasn't a servant but another god, that's got to raise some questions.

There are no "another gods". That's how you square it. People can call something God, but they're wrong, it's not a God. If it were God, it would be God, but it's not, so there you go.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

To be fair, I think he's asking how you can square the idea of an immutable truth claim for your religion with the idea that it developed over times and cultures- if the Jews emphasized Satan more as an enemy of God when exposed to dualistic cultures, are they discovering more about their religion or just changing their ideas to fit in?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I'm super bummed that I'm not going to Pascha this year because of my newborn! Those of you going, make sure to pray extra hard for me.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tias posted:

The Hebrews of the Old Testament were pretty definitely henotheistic (recognized there were other gods, but ours is the BEST and strongest) up until the Babylonian captivity.

I realize it's a rather lame argument, but monotheism won.

I don't have any good empirical evidence that my God exists. I also don't have any evidence that there are other gods.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Tias posted:

Probably about the same way that pagan revivalists square the historical fact that their practice originated amongst late nineteenth and early twentieth century phantasists and proto-fascists?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Probably about the same way that pagan revivalists square the historical fact that their practice originated amongst late nineteenth and early twentieth century phantasists and proto-fascists?

Eh, that's a bit harsh imo. Tias is pretty strongly anti-fascist.

You are however correct that Norse/Germanic paganism basically died out in the 11th and 12th centuries. They didn't record their rituals or beliefs so there isn't much to go on.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Pellisworth posted:

Eh, that's a bit harsh imo. Tias is pretty strongly anti-fascist.

I don't dispute Tias' character but if we're opening questions of historical development, why not? The early attempts at pagan revival were attempts to recover "national religions" over and against a universal (or, depending on context, "semitic") Christianity, no?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Christos anesti to all Orthodox itt! :)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

The Hebrews of the Old Testament were pretty definitely henotheistic (recognized there were other gods, but ours is the BEST and strongest) up until the Babylonian captivity.

The Old Testament seems split on this in my opinion. There are passages that go either way, though I'd say it falls more to the side of other gods not being real.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Nice try. Most reconstructionists in Scandinavia base their practices on the sagas, and invent the rest out of whole cloth based on personal gnosis. As such, it is either from the nineteen hundred and nineties or from the year 1000, you pick. It's extremely lame to make such a dig out of my honest question, and shows only how insecure and afraid you are at the moment.

E: In fact, the nazitru we have today, such as the Asatruar Folk Assembly, wrote their rituals and neo-nazistic theology in the nineteen hundred and seventies (give or take), though also based on some of the odd nazi rune dudes of the early nineteen hundreds, as well as taking a lot from Gardnerian Wicca.

StashAugustine posted:

To be fair, I think he's asking how you can square the idea of an immutable truth claim for your religion with the idea that it developed over times and cultures- if the Jews emphasized Satan more as an enemy of God when exposed to dualistic cultures, are they discovering more about their religion or just changing their ideas to fit in?

This. I wasn't going to take it quite as far as you do, I believe in the christian God too, after all - but if Satan is in fact a God all his own and not a rejected servent from heaven, it raises some really interesting questions about his role in the cosmos.

Tias fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 8, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

Christos anesti to all Orthodox itt! :)
*lifts head from ditch wherein the beer has placed me*

The earth covers me as I desire, oh mother, but the gatekeepers of hell tremble as they see me, clothed in the bloodstained garment of vengeance: for on the Cross as God have I struck down mine enemies, and I shall rise again and magnify thee

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm not religious and I've never read the Bible before. I'd like to read it and understand the contexts of it because at the end of the day it's one of the most influential books that exist. Can anyone recommend a study guide (or preferably iPhone/iPad app) for me to do just that? It's such a big book and I have no idea where to start, especially cause (from my understanding) there are contradictions from chapter to chapter. What I'd like is something like, "read these chapters, and pay attention to this and that" coupled with "this is maybe the historical basis of what you just read." I'm not looking for anything that's religious or trying to convert me, because there is a 0% chance of that, but from a historical perspective.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 8, 2018

• Locked thread