Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

You posted a fake picture from 9/11 to imply that Saudi Arabia has funded terrorism?

15 of 19 Hijackers were Saudi Arabians. Yes Sauds did 9/11, pretty well known fact by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Does he know what happened to that French absolute monarch shortly afterwards?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Does he know what happened to that French absolute monarch shortly afterwards?

Nah today Arab dictators can use sarin gas and depopulate their countries now without punishment and he’s double secure now that Israel has his back.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Did the French have facebook and twitter to track dissidents with?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Lol.

Trumps pulling us out of Syria.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Welp. Sucks for everyone who actually believed our security guarantees.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...5a89_story.html

quote:

President Trump has instructed military leaders to prepare to withdraw U.S. troops from Syria, but has not set a date for them to do so, according to a senior administration official.

In a meeting with top national security officials Tuesday, Trump stressed that U.S. troops can be involved in current training tasks for local forces to ensure security in areas liberated from the Islamic State, the official said.

But the president said that the U.S. mission would not extend beyond the destruction of the Islamic State, and that he expects other countries, particularly wealthy Arab states in the region, to pick up the task of paying for reconstruction of stabilized areas, including sending their own troops, if necessary.

It doesn't sound like much is actually changing

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Flavahbeast posted:

Not immediately, but it seems to suggest that reconciliation with the regime is expected in the long run, rather than indefinite US support/occupation. Especially for the north, it's hard to see how this sort of planned withdrawal would continue to provide any guarantees against Turkish invasion.

It might be more useful to think of it as a sign that Tillerson and some in the military were the ones who were breaking with US policy in the first place when they started talking about a long term post-ISIS presence that amounted to a soft partition than that this represents a wild new shift. Turkish pressure probably is accelerating our desire to gtfo though--I don't think anyone actually believes we have interests beyond sentimentality that are big enough in Syria to justify a total rupture with Turkey.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 4, 2018

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Flavahbeast posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...5a89_story.html

To me what this reads moreso is that he's okay with the US still waving its dick around there militarily, he just can't stand the thought of any money being assigned to actually help rebuild the poo poo ISIS wrecked, so yea I guess those scheduled 200 million gotta go into building dat wall or something lol.

This wouldn't be too odd, but if I'm wrong again and this actually results in all US troops and bases just getting pulled out so that we get to watch Iran/Assad stomp in, and right after just naming an anti-Iran hawk like Bolton or Pompeo, then lmao, what the gently caress even?

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 4, 2018

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CrazyLoon posted:

To me what this reads moreso is that he's okay with the US still waving its dick around there militarily, he just can't stand the thought of any money being assigned to actually help rebuild the poo poo ISIS wrecked, so yea I guess those scheduled 200 million gotta go into building dat wall or something lol.

This wouldn't be too odd, but if I'm wrong again and this actually results in all US troops and bases just getting pulled out so that we get to watch Iran/Assad stomp in, and right after just naming an anti-Iran hawk like Bolton or Pompeo, then lmao, what the gently caress even?

What is "winning" Syria actually going to get Iran/Assad in the near future? A bunch of smashed infrastructure, internal refugees, and restive armed locals that they'll have to slapfight with Turkey over.

It's not going to be Afghanistan levels of futile, but getting control of Syria is going to be a real booby prize for awhile.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

SickZip posted:

What is "winning" Syria actually going to get Iran/Assad in the near future? A bunch of smashed infrastructure, internal refugees, and restive armed locals that they'll have to slapfight with Turkey over.

It's not going to be Afghanistan levels of futile, but getting control of Syria is going to be a real booby prize for awhile.

It's one of those subjective things. Syria was already an ally of Iran's before all of this, so from one perspective Iran's getting a weakened ally at the end of this under even the best possible circumstance. The other perspective is that Syria now owes Iran and Hezbollah its survival, so Iran has a blank check to use Syrian territory however it wants, and at the very least didn't lose the ally/corridor to Lebanon outright. The US strategy at this point (or at least the Pentagon's), since we failed to secure the Syrian border with Iraq, mostly seems to be to make sure Syria is as weak as possible by denying them the country's oil fields, and to make sure we have enough assets in the area to counter any crazy ideas Iran might get if/when the time comes, though it's kind of hard to see why we'd care what Iran does in their ally's territory except for worrying about Israel. I mean obviously the refugee issue is a huge issue too, but for all of Turkey's faults, they're really the only country motivated to do anything about that problem.

Personally, I feel like Iraq remains the more important Iranian ally to focus on, both because it's a more important country that's more central to the region and because we actually have more influence there (even if we can't just decide to occupy parts of it anymore like we are with Syria). Abadi seems very interested in finding outside backers to make sure his country doesn't become 100% a puppet state of Iran's, so to the extent that we can help him with that project (without overplaying our hand and ensuring a renewed civil war), it seems like a really good idea. There's a reason the Saudis are suddenly interested in having a relationship with Iraq again these days--they can't divide Iraq from Iran entirely, but even just ensuring that Iraq has interests outside of Iran is helpful.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 4, 2018

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

SickZip posted:

Winning for Iran means a friendly government, and a supply line to Hezbollah. Yeah Syria will be a mess for some time, but if the country aligned itself with the US and/or the Gulf States, it would start undermining Iran's influence.

For Assad, winning means him and his family not being executed.

So yeah they're kinda fighting for rubble, but fight they will because the alternatives are worse.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Count Roland posted:

For Assad, winning means him and his family not being executed.

Pretty sure if terrorists captured his family tomorrow and it was 100% guaranteed they would be released unharmed if Bashar stepped down and left the country, Asma and the kiddos would be in an unmarked grave by the end of the week.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Pretty sure if terrorists captured his family tomorrow and it was 100% guaranteed they would be released unharmed if Bashar stepped down and left the country, Asma and the kiddos would be in an unmarked grave by the end of the week.

lol yeah worked out well for Qaddafi.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

lol yeah worked out well for Qaddafi.

qaddafi didnt willingly step down, he started shooting like bashar did.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah, he's more the reason why you don't want to give up your nuclear program if you don't have to. He probably did have to, because it was still in its early stages and unlike Iran or North Korea nobody would have been afraid of reprisal attacks if they'd taken it out, but people using Libya giving up their program as a model to try to follow in Iran or North Korea are loving dreaming after they murked Qaddafi.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Adding nuclear weapons to a massive uprising and civil war isn't gonna do a whole lot to avert the international communities gaze, actually.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Adding nuclear weapons to a massive uprising and civil war isn't gonna do a whole lot to avert the international communities gaze, actually.

Like I said, I don't think he really had a choice, so it's not like his nuclear program was going to save him in any case, but neither did turning over his nukes (or bribing Sarkozy) win him any favors, meaning future leaders contemplating a similar situation have less reason to come to the table if they do have the choice. He deserved the death he got and worse, but there were options short of expanding the internationally approved no fly zone to conquering the whole country and allowing our proxies to extrajudicially kill a head of state that would have been less destabilizing in terms of international law and precedent. Honestly the plan the Pentagon has for Syria, in which eastern Syria is de facto partitioned essentially forever, would have worked a hell of a lot better in Libya than in Syria since there wouldn't have been as many other countries getting angry about it. Like Syria, I think the east is actually where a lot of the oil is too, which would have been convenient for establishing an independent authority there (even if Libya's oil wealth isn't super impressive to start wtih).

I still think Libya hardened Putin's resolve in Syria, and I think it's clear that the aftermath of Libya (Benghazi) gave Obama pause when it came to arming the Syrian rebels beyond the amount I think we've both agreed just served to intensify the conflict. I think the Libyan intervention is enough of a mixed success with very negative second order effects that it's not hard to imagine how a more limited intervention could potentially have worked out better, though you'd probably argue that a more robust intervention and follow through would have had the potential to be even better.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Volkerball posted:

What a perfectly healthy hypothetical scenario to entertain.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

thatfatkid posted:

What a perfectly healthy hypothetical scenario to entertain.

gently caress you

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah gently caress you, you loving motherfucker. You think you can just waltz in here and comment on the refined level of discourse cultivated in this thread where very normal people single out specific women and children by name and fantasize about their violent deaths? gently caress off already for gently caress's sake.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/aronlund/status/981662502852399104

So much for 'you break it, you buy it.'

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Sinteres posted:

So much for 'you break it, you buy it.'

Assad isn't into buying, just more breaking.

Kurds can't catch a loving break.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Maybe Iran just doesn't want countries to be ruled by Al Qaeda?

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
The New York Times just put out an interesting article about the bureaucracy of the Islamic State that's well worth a read.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Sinteres posted:

This article about MBS is loving fascinating, and way too long to clip excerpts from (except for this line which supports the Al-Saqr is MBS conspiracy theory: His favorite diversion is Call of Duty, the video game). If you want to understand the region, it's worth reading.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/04/09/a-saudi-princes-quest-to-remake-the-middle-east

Just as a teaser, one of the more interesting parts is when it talks about how the Saudis and Emiratis orchestrated the coup in Egypt.

I'm a bit late here but that New Yorker article is an absolute pro-read. Its long but really excellent. Thanks for that.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Blut posted:

I'm a bit late here but that New Yorker article is an absolute pro-read. Its long but really excellent. Thanks for that.

I will third this.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/OGHARIT/status/981837811102908417?s=19

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Some of the Syrians I work with on various projects are on this list, along with family members. It seems to represent anyone in the Syrian community abroad who has been critical of the government. None of the people I know on the list have been involved in violence in anyway, just documenting war crimes. It also means these people can't realistically return to Syria while Assad's government remains in charge, so that's 1.5 million Syrians who won't be able to return home.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

KSA plans moatcanal along border with Qatar.

quote:

Saudi newspaper Sabq reported on Thursday that the project, which is still awaiting official approval, will see the construction of a maritime channel between the Saudi regions of Salwa and Khawr Al-Udayd

Sabq said the waterway will be 60km in length, 200 metres wide and between 15-20 metres deep, enabling it to receive "container and passenger ships".

The newspaper said that a 1km stretch of land north of the canal, bordering Qatar, would become a "military zone", permanently ending land trade between the two Gulf countries.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/04/twitter-mocks-saudi-plans-turn-qatar-island-180406133003494.html

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
It beats the poo poo out of a "big beautiful wall" in terms of concept and aesthetics, I credit MBS that much at least.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

This is loving hilarious

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/DPRKJones/status/981340040969310209?s=19

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Well, looks like Germany gained 400k new citizens, because :lol: at those poor bastards ever getting home now.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

People talking about how Saudi Arabia did 9/11 but most of you are probably not aware that Pakistan helped finance it. The head of the ISI wired hundreds of thousands of dollars to Mohammed Atta when the hijackers ran out of money. When 9/11 happened, he quietly resigned from the Pakistani ISI the very next day.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

HAHAHA! loving CALLED IT! I'm sure the quislings in Europe will stop fawning over Putin and Assad now!
HAH! Zike! Now they can loot coffers to pay of their cronies, wreck our institutions and be called saviors of western civilization for their troubles!

So the amusing thought is...where will Europeans seek refuge when the FlagsOverPeople brigade starts saving our way of life?

This is like a gypsy curse.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

Al-Saqr posted:

he's right though. Dictatorships are only a threat to their own people which is why every zionist in the US are lining up to suck his dick and why they're showering money to Sisi with. I mean who gives a poo poo if arabs get mass murdered and get tortured to death, really? no one.

Israel will get to that point eventually, unless they realize that bombing Gaza every time Bibi gets unpopular and keeping an entire loving nation in limbo right next to their border is not....really in their interest future wise.

Eh, then again Turkish nationalist hated Erdogan until he started going after the Kurds.

"I'm not a racist, there is only one race....The rest is slaves."

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
So Syria decided to do another chemical attack

:nws:https://twitter.com/tobiaschneider/status/982743223759142913
https://twitter.com/UOSSMUS/status/982687424173273088
https://twitter.com/SyriaCivilDef/status/982727239132418050
https://twitter.com/Dalatrm/status/982710102099718147
https://twitter.com/tobiaschneider/status/982729412679434240:nws:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 9, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Many instances in the post above mine, but here's another demonstrating foaming at the mouth.

:nws: https://twitter.com/SyriaCivilDef/status/982721188358213634?s=19:nws:

That's been a clear distinction when the regime has used sarin rather than chlorine. A doctor in Douma is saying they are treating for both. Death tolls have been put anywhere between 45 to 100+ with up to 1,000 injured. How the gently caress does this keep happening.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
wasn't the ghouta pocket collapsing? it's unimaginable to do this kind of thing in the first place, but why do it now?