Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I still have a lot of bad memories of CD going through great gymnastics to justify ScarJo in GITS as not whitewashing despite reports of how they tried digitally using yellowface and that ScarJo's character ended up being an asian lady's mind in a white robot's body.

CD sucks.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Echo Chamber posted:

I still have a lot of bad memories of CD going through great gymnastics to justify ScarJo in GITS as not whitewashing despite reports of how they tried digitally using yellowface and that ScarJo's character ended up being and asian lady's mind in a white robot's body.

CD sucks.

That seems a bit contraditory. Your argument for ScarJo in GitS being whitewashing is that the story is about whitewashing?

It reminds me of the complaints about the "whitewashing" in Netflix's Altered Carbon.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Bad Wolf posted:

As far as I know, CA didn't own League of Super Critics, that was a Maker Studios thing. Lindsey can correct me if I'm wrong, as she was part of that particular clusterfuck too.

I'm kind of disappointed Sage, The Dom and Angry Joe have just remained silent on the whole thing. I mean, none of them owe us their feedback, but none of them need CA at this point either. Especially Angry Joe, who has like twice the subs of CA and this week raised like half a million dollars in a single day.

On a different, but related subject, I've had a thought of how similar Channel Awesome is to the World Wrestling Federation/WWE. No, really, hear me out :

- Both have CEO's that had one good idea and a string of failures. Taking Wrestling national/Creating an aggregate site followed by the World Bodybuilding Federation, The XFL, WWF New York/Barfiesta, Blistered thumbs, that goddamn game show
- Both have (or had) one Golden Boy that must be protected, Doug for CA/Hulk Hogan for WWF (Or, if I'm being generous, John Cena)
- This would make Spoony The Ultimate Warrior or The Iron Sheik
- Neither have many employees, most people who work for them are independent contractors (Though WWE pays theirs, usually)
- Women's division an afterthought for many, many years (WWE got better at it)
- If you get fired on bad terms, they'll do their best to pretend you never existed

Y'all can fight over who is Virgil.

You're not wrong. But at this point it's probably more like TNA/Impact.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It reminds me of the complaints about the "whitewashing" in Netflix's Altered Carbon.

Lol no way are there people that actually believe that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Archer666 posted:

Trying not to engage BOTL aside, there were indeed people in the TVIV thread who earnestly insisted Kovacs should be played by a Japanese actor.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Sailor Moon was the first TV show I ever really liked (after I grew out of Sesame Street and Mr Dressup). I remember when I was a young kid about 8 or 9 years old and whenever I watched TV (like Animaniacs or Taz-Mania) it was just to pass the time, something to distract me. When I discovered Sailor Moon, I actually wanted to watch it although like every other boy back then I was in the closet about being a Sailor Moon fan and made up parodies to the theme song with the other kids. I remember the thing that really attracted me to Sailor Moon was discovering that there was a continuity in the show, there was a plot, and that blew my frickin' mind.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Archer666 posted:

The age of the internet should have taught us all by now that, just like there's nothing so mundane that some poor pervert doesn't wank to it, no belief is too stupid for some weirdo to passionately hold it.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I barely heard of Altered Carbon.

But Ghost in the Shell was whitewashed as hell. It's one of those "what more loving proof do you want?" examples of whitewashing, but CD kept on rationalizing it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Echo Chamber posted:

But Ghost in the Shell was whitewashed as hell. It's one of those "what more loving proof do you want?" examples of whitewashing, but CD kept on rationalizing it.

Your example of whitewashing was kind of bad.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I am excited to watch a white nerd defend whitewashing.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Roth posted:

I am excited to watch a white nerd defend whitewashing.
It typically begins with white nerds pretending that the allegations of whitewashing are being made by whiter nerds. And then they invoke their knowledge of Japanese culture and society and how because Japanese people in Japan don't have a problem with it, it can't be a problem.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Trying not to engage BOTL aside, there were indeed people in the TVIV thread who earnestly insisted Kovacs should be played by a Japanese actor.

but he was :psyduck:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Echo Chamber posted:

Wasn’t that character actually meant to be white in the show? (Disclaimer: I haven’t watched all of the anime, nor have I seen it recently)

I don’t think that getting bogged down in specific examples is necessarily good tho, it is manifestly obvious to any good faith observer that Western media is both not interested in casting POC and minority actors and that it is interested in substituting white male actors in for minorities whenever possible, even if it means blatantly loving up the source material.

Edit: oh I seem to recall they added a twist to the film that was really dumb and quasi-racist even outside the meta context of casting so that’s a thing if I’m remembering correctly.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

I don’t think that getting bogged down in specific examples is necessarily good tho, it is manifestly obvious to any good faith observer that Western media is both not interested in casting POC and minority actors and that it is interested in substituting white male actors in for minorities whenever possible, even if it means blatantly loving up the source material.

How does that apply to the GitS adaptation with its POC actors?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

How does that apply to the GitS adaptation with its POC actors?

It doesn’t, necessarily. My point is that even if a given film isn’t whitewashing and has an appropriately diverse cast for the story, despite charges otherwise, it doesn’t change that the broader trend is to whitewash, not hire minority actors, and not approve or publish stories about minority experiences more generally.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lightning Knight posted:

Edit: oh I seem to recall they added a twist to the film that was really dumb and quasi-racist even outside the meta context of casting so that’s a thing if I’m remembering correctly.

It was the ultimate in "Having your cake and eating it too"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Echo Chamber posted:

Beautiful av/post combo.

Puppy Time posted:

The age of the internet should have taught us all by now that, just like there's nothing so mundane that some poor pervert doesn't wank to it, no belief is too stupid for some weirdo to passionately hold it.

But the inverse of this is that despite there always being someone who will believe these bizarre ideas, you have to also question how many people that actually is.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Roth posted:

It was the ultimate in "Having your cake and eating it too"

I'm poo poo at baking but the one thing I can do well is a moist chocolate-cake. The key-ingredient is rape-seed oil.

They could have dodged a bullet on Ghost in the Shell by just transplanting the basic concept to the US and not having white people running around with Japanese names. It still would have flopped because I don't know how any part this of this half-cerebral, half-cheesecake property would be appealing to a mass audience.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Lightning Knight posted:

Wasn’t that character actually meant to be white in the show? (Disclaimer: I haven’t watched all of the anime, nor have I seen it recently)

In GitS? I haven't watched all of the Anime either but from what I remember she both works for some Japanese special division and is meant to be a very generic model, ergo she can blend in very easily to Japanese society as a result. It's not impossible that she might not look Asian I guess but the train of logic to get there is so pained that it's abundantly clear that wanting to cast a marketable white lady in the role was the overwhelming priority against all reason and logic.

I must add, I don't begrudge Scarlett Johansson, and I understand that the creator of GitS doesn't really care about the issue, but it was ridiculously frustrating to see Hollywood's lovely views of race become so drat painfully obvious that at least casting an Asian lady for an Asian character in an Asian work which is set in Asia was too much to ask. I mean it's not like Johansson is hard up for work generally, or that her name prevented it from flopping, just take the "chance", drat.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

khwarezm posted:

In GitS? I haven't watched all of the Anime either but from what I remember she both works for some Japanese special division and is meant to be a very generic model, ergo she can blend in very easily to Japanese society as a result. It's not impossible that she might not look Asian I guess but the train of logic to get there is so pained that it's abundantly clear that wanting to cast a marketable white lady in the role was the overwhelming priority against all reason and logic.

I must add, I don't begrudge Scarlett Johansson, and I understand that the creator of GitS doesn't really care about the issue, but it was ridiculously frustrating to see Hollywood's lovely views of race become so drat painfully obvious that at least casting an Asian lady for an Asian character in an Asian work which is set in Asia was too much to ask. I mean it's not like Johansson is hard up for work generally, or that her name prevented it from flopping, just take the "chance", drat.

Yeah sorry I meant that as a true/false not a “I think she’s supposed to be white.” I asked a friend after I posted that and he said she’s supposed to be Japanese, and if so then yeah it seems like a textbook case of whitewashing to me.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hello friends! Well, I still don't have many subs, but I shot up from 90 to 122 in about a week thanks to my Brigsby Bear video. What will surely keep those numbers going up is this - a video on the 1964 pseudo-propaganda film Soy Cuba, and why it has one of the greatest long takes in all of cinema:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUXT1GOL1wI

Please let me know what y'all think, and if there's a shot you want me to take a look at, I'd love to hear about it.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Calico Heart posted:

Hello friends! Well, I still don't have many subs, but I shot up from 90 to 122 in about a week thanks to my Brigsby Bear video. What will surely keep those numbers going up is this - a video on the 1964 pseudo-propaganda film Soy Cuba, and why it has one of the greatest long takes in all of cinema:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUXT1GOL1wI

Please let me know what y'all think, and if there's a shot you want me to take a look at, I'd love to hear about it.

This was a good video, great job!

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/Chris_Stuckmann/status/982317053246885888

https://twitter.com/Chris_Stuckmann...378577013432320

Either he got no response from the Walkers or the response was as pleasing as hotdog water.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The first I ever heard of Doug Walker was when Retsupurae absolutely wrecked him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mlst5OhXAY

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The first I ever heard of Doug Walker was when Retsupurae absolutely wrecked him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mlst5OhXAY

I change my vote of bad Doug takes from Sailor Moon to his LP. God I forgot he tried to capitalize on that trend.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

GoneRampant posted:

Let's start with "all of them" and work our way down from there. In terms of his actual production, it always struck me that he did so many reviews after other TGWTG people did them. Someone did the math once and he did ten movies right after MikeJ did them for Shameful Sequels, and he stole Mike's video premise of defending the prequels. Not hard to see why Mike felt like he was ignored by CA.

I Hate Everything (March 20, 2018), Woody Woodpecker (2017): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqb80GVmfl4

Dhug, April 4, 2018: Woody Woodpecker.

For added "gently caress you" points, the description of the NC video (even the preview of it in a Gaggle search) is an ad for some scummy shitfucker service that "ticks & leeches" onto popular videos.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

(e: borked original message, since it was ninja'd anyways).

Re: Chris Stuckman. I figured he'd leave the site, because he didn't need them. Seeing that he actually tried to confront the management about issues at hand, and then left on a moral stance-- okay, I have much more respect for the guy.

Sidenote: Horror Guru also left the site. Public-facing message is "no drama, just felt it was time to move on."

lornekates fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 7, 2018

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

rujasu posted:

Also, his videos were better when they were like 10 minutes instead of 30+,

So, y'know, just putting this out there, buuuuut...

Demo Reel's first episode(s) were about a group of "Swedes"-- video producers who wanted to make cheap homemade versions of popular movies, just like in that movie that Jack Black movie no one remembers anymore.

(which means that yes, he was making a video series that copies someone elses' work ABOUT copying someone elses' work, which gives quite the insight into TBF...)

Anyways, it boils down to he just wanted to make silly stupid versions of popular movies. (Before Demo Reel was rebooted to have, like, a plot-- and then was CANCELLED FOREVER).

Flash forward a few years, and 99% of his content is "put on dumb costumes, have my friend fabricate a set, do some poor green screen work-- all to copy a movie's plot in the guise of a 'review'."

It makes sense now.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

lornekates posted:

I Hate Everything (March 20, 2018), Woody Woodpecker (2017): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqb80GVmfl4

Dhug, April 4, 2018: Woody Woodpecker.

For added "gently caress you" points, the description of the NC video (even the preview of it in a Gaggle search) is an ad for some scummy shitfucker service that "ticks & leeches" onto popular videos.

I just can't watch IHE since he spent a long and belaboured part of his Emoji Movie video blaming the design and characterisation of the female emoji on those darn dirty SJWs.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/Chris_Stuckmann/status/982317053246885888

https://twitter.com/Chris_Stuckmann...378577013432320

Either he got no response from the Walkers or the response was as pleasing as hotdog water.

Beginning of March 2018:

Beginning of April 2018:

It's like the Rachel Maddow wall, only in reverse.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

The thing that always strikes me about the Bart's Nightmare LP...Retsupurae was made for the absolute worst of the worst. We're not just talking about people who used their ancient webcam pointed at a PC monitor to record LP's, we're talking about people who couldn't even point that webcam at the freaking screen properly - folks who made vids where the game takes up barely a quarter of the screen, on a freaking webcam, with single digit framerates. And yet the video made by folks who apparently do Internet vids for a freaking LIVING is still one of the absolute lowest quality, flat out worst vids they have ever covered.

THAT'S how utterly useless and incompetent CA/Doug are.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Even when I was a fan of the Nostalgia Critic I found the Bart's Nightmare thing intolerable.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Kim Justice posted:

The thing that always strikes me about the Bart's Nightmare LP...Retsupurae was made for the absolute worst of the worst. We're not just talking about people who used their ancient webcam pointed at a PC monitor to record LP's, we're talking about people who couldn't even point that webcam at the freaking screen properly - folks who made vids where the game takes up barely a quarter of the screen, on a freaking webcam, with single digit framerates. And yet the video made by folks who apparently do Internet vids for a freaking LIVING is still one of the absolute lowest quality, flat out worst vids they have ever covered.

THAT'S how utterly useless and incompetent CA/Doug are.

They were also made for deluded grandeur like Dahir Insaat. So it fits a twofer on CA.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Smooth brained Doug Walker can't even do an LP right, unlike other cultured rational gamers.

He's gonna be a Dog Walker soon once this ship sinks...any second now...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SteelMentor posted:

I just can't watch IHE since he spent a long and belaboured part of his Emoji Movie video blaming the design and characterisation of the female emoji on those darn dirty SJWs.

Yeah what the gently caress was that all about? Haha, making jokes about that awful Emoji movie, how soulless the movie is!

quote:

And then you have a FEMALE character who is a WOMAN! SHE is a WOMAN!

:stare: uh....

I mean, I was kinda falling off from IHE cause he started having some heightened sense of self importance. Namely in his twitter video where he said something like "I am going to kill you and your family" to his brother on twitter and got banned for it. He acts like twitter should of done a full background check to verify that IHE was indeed brothers with the guy, and therefore killing the guy's family would also mean killing himself... Except you know... its possible for someone in the family to want to kill everyone else in the family. This didn't really help reconcile him in my eyes.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
so last few days I have become completely loving obsessed with Todd in the Shadows and have not being able to stop

Are their podcasts or videos that are like him but specifically about music scene from... idk, the 60's to the 90's. I seem to like that kind of thing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

so last few days I have become completely loving obsessed with Todd in the Shadows and have not being able to stop

Are their podcasts or videos that are like him but specifically about music scene from... idk, the 60's to the 90's. I seem to like that kind of thing.

I've plugged it in here like once before but That Awful Sound (the website is a week behind in episodes and is missing a chunk of archive for some reason, but you can find everything through itunes or a podcast app) focuses almost entirely on the 90s and early 2000s.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

IHE was giving the Emoji movie poo poo for trying to be overly political and failing because it's an emoji movie designed to sell apps, and nothing else. (only because the filmmakers couldn't make something else)

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Where the gently caress was the Emoji Movie trying to make a political statement, because slapping a coat of cliche Neoliberal GRRL POWER on your creepily sexualised female design really isn't a statement rather than a half-assed rear end-pull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

Where the gently caress was the Emoji Movie trying to make a political statement, because slapping a coat of cliche Neoliberal GRRL POWER on your creepily sexualised female design really isn't a statement rather than a half-assed rear end-pull.

I remember that mailed fist of misandry and radicalism, the Spice Girls. Andrea Dworkin had nothing on those firebrands! It's a wonder the establishment survived at all.

• Locked thread