Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Huawei also competes by making nonstandardized products. One phone may have a much worse XYZ than other phones of the same type and this is actually written into the contract of sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Deteriorata posted:

And like it or not, people are motivated by money. Holding the exclusive rights to profit from an idea is a potent incentive to innovate.

It would be nice if we were all motivated by doing things for the good of all, but few actually are.

Non profits and universities are making the biggest strides in new Pharmaceuticals. It's not like profit is a requirement.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Boon posted:

Who... are you talking to?

Himself. He's trying to use The Secret to prove himself Most Left.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Boon posted:

Dude's nuts. Ask him about Russian hacking if you've got the stomach.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Well the understood trade for a patent is that the government gives you a monopoly for a limited time and in return you give all the details of how your thing works so that anybody can reproduce it when your monopoly is over.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Mantis42 posted:

Huawei stealing data is scummy but stealing 1st world tech has historically been a way for developing countries to compete. Stolen IP is probably a positive force for downward redistribution of wealth.

China's ruling elite and governing class: actually impoverished 3rd-worlders looking merely to equal the western standard of living

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

silicone thrills posted:

Non profits and universities are making the biggest strides in new Pharmaceuticals. It's not like profit is a requirement.

That is simply just not true

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Boon posted:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

And like it or not, people are motivated by money. Holding the exclusive rights to profit from an idea is a potent incentive to innovate.

It would be nice if we were all motivated by doing things for the good of all, but few actually are.

I think you’ll find very few people are motivated to acquire money for money’s sake, rather than the stability, power and resources our capitalist society demands you have money to have.

Our personal motivations are irrelevant in a system that forces labor for money to survive as ours does. Of course everyone is “motivated” to make some money, usually you die if you don’t.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I currently attend one of the largest public research universities (Minnesota) and I guarantee you that there is a profit motive in our med device center. The profits are obviously redirected into the university but that's not functionally different than a corporation.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

skeleton warrior posted:

China's ruling elite and governing class: actually impoverished 3rd-worlders looking merely to equal the western standard of living

Glorious People's Party shares profits equally with all!

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Boon posted:

I currently attend one of the largest public research universities (Minnesota), and I guarantee you that there is a profit motive there.

Agreed.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Philosophical arguments about the morality of ownership aside, enforcing IP rights is only going to become more and more impractical and disproportionately expensive as time advances, so it doesn't make a great hill to die on.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
IP freely

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

skeleton warrior posted:

Developing a nation's productive forces does generate new wealth which can, though not necessarily will, be captured by the local economy. Look at the last 40 years of their history.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Vladimir Putin posted:

That is simply just not true

I worked for a non profit research company and our partner university was making all the moonshot advances and then pharmaceutical cos would come along and buy up their research. Same thing is happening all over the place. There was some article about it a while back that i'll have to dig around to find.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

big trivia FAIL posted:

if you add in that the earliest synoptic (Mark) is generally accepted as being authored around 60 - 70 AD, we more or less have contemporary copies

We don't have copies of Mark until about 250 AD though, even though it is thought to have been written ~30-40 years after the death of Jesus.

Some of Paul's letters were written around 20 years after the events in the gospels (and also, we think a number of Paul's OTHER letters were forgeries! weeeeeeeeee)

Anyway, before anyone tries to get argumentative, I'm not saying "the Bible we have is the inherent word of God", that all the books accurately depict their events, or that they even have the authors they claim to have. But they HAVE been inarguably pretty stable translations since somewhere around 300 AD - in large part because the people who obsess over copying Bibles are huge giant nerds, basically the Wikipedia editors of their day.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

I worked for a non profit research company and our partner university was making all the moonshot advances and then pharmaceutical cos would come along and buy up their research. Same thing is happening all over the place. There was some article about it a while back that i'll have to dig around to find.

There's still a profit motive at work. The pharmaceutical company sends grants to the university to do the research, then profits from the resulting IP. Companies used to have their own research divisions. Now they mostly subcontract it out to universities.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

fivegears4reverse posted:

This literally makes no sense unless you believe the US magically cannot bomb static islands to pieces for reasons.

If a country with sufficient capacity wanted to remove those islands as a threat, they could, especially if they already have the capacity to project forces far enough to where those islands are suddenly a danger to its navy.

China can put anti-ship missiles on all their artificial islands, and we can hem and haw about their effectiveness in hypotheticals all we want. But we've spent decades using pretty much every aspect of our military strength to remove static targets from an equation. That strength also includes submarines.

If war broke out between the US and China, you'd be foolish to think that the US military, despite being lead by an utter loving moron, would not have plans to counter or at least mitigate the threat those islands represent.

Those island bases aren't useful strategic platforms. China already has anti-ship ballistic missiles they can launch from the mainland, and it would only take one to knock out a carrier.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Boon posted:

I currently attend one of the largest public research universities (Minnesota) and I guarantee you that there is a profit motive in our med device center. The profits are obviously redirected into the university but that's not functionally different than a corporation.

There's a set recourse and peoples whose job it is to examine the ethical implications of choosing a profit margin at reasonable rate. There is a HUGE difference between that and a corporate choice to decide to jack margins up because "gently caress you, the most money for me."

I'll take the public university everytime.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I think Steve Jobs was a jackass and when I had to give a presentation on Patents, etc I presented these:

Bragging about taking ideas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU

Ranting about android stealing the idea for smartphones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lr8U04gPKM

Also, patents are usually garbage and (I need to find the stat) but usually only give a short period of protection before a competing firm duplicates the product without violating the patent. Really, success depends on a lot more than just product design alone (first mover advantage, sustained competitive advantage, company organization, etc.).

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

silicone thrills posted:

This is true is most industries though. Large companies in many cases act as a source of capital and view start-ups as a source of R&D. Medtronic for instance active invests into small but promising companies to leverage it's own R&D efforts because, frankly, they don't have the resources to do everything that might benefit them internally. A lot of resources are spent in maintaining competitive advantages in technologies or areas that catapulted them into the position they're in. Non-profits, start-ups, universities - they're all a part of large business strategic plans.

BlueBlazer posted:

There's a set recourse and peoples whose job it is to examine the ethical implications of choosing a profit margin at reasonable rate. There is a HUGE difference between that and a corporate choice to decide to jack margins up because "gently caress you, the most money for me."

I'll take the public university everytime.

Yes, totally but that's more of a market failure scenario (epipen) than anything.

Boon fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 6, 2018

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Boon posted:

the voices in his head, the only people close enough to his intellectual level so a discussion isn't a ceaseless embarrassment for him

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

theflyingorc posted:

Anyway, before anyone tries to get argumentative, I'm not saying "the Bible we have is the inherent word of God", that all the books accurately depict their events, or that they even have the authors they claim to have. But they HAVE been inarguably pretty stable translations since somewhere around 300 AD - in large part because the people who obsess over copying Bibles are huge giant nerds, basically the Wikipedia editors of their day.

Although when they screw up it can be really funny.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

It is driven by the cost of approval.

It costs somewhere north of $100 million to get a drug approved.

Universities usually don't want to front that kind of cash when it isn't a sure thing. And there are plenty of promising drugs that completely fell apart in testing and the company or university just burned tens of millions with nothing to show for it.

So Universities and smaller bio-tech firms develop a "compound" that shows promise then sell it to a drug company so the drug carries the risk of failing in testing, but also gets the rewards if it works out.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Actually all non-profits are driven by the profit motive because they seek to not spend more money than they have!
:goonsay:

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

theflyingorc posted:

We don't have copies of Mark until about 250 AD though, even though it is thought to have been written ~30-40 years after the death of Jesus.

Some of Paul's letters were written around 20 years after the events in the gospels (and also, we think a number of Paul's OTHER letters were forgeries! weeeeeeeeee)

Yeah, there is absolutely no way a person who understands the slightest thing about how the Bible was put together or has actually read its contents could come away with the thought that it was the product of authors measurably influenced by a single timeless source of inerrant truth.

Just read the first two chapters of Genesis, which tell two different and non-compatible creation stories.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

It's funny how American workers are expected to dutifully accept losing their jobs and dying of opiate overdoses in order to 'help' Chinese slave labor, but of course the capitalist class is not expected to give up one cent of profit in order to help anyone, Chinese bootleg sellers need to be put out of business in order to make sure the profiteers get their cut of DVD sales in Shanghai.

You do realize the IP we're talking about here isn't bootleg games, movies, books, and the like but rather chipset architecture, circuitry design, software code, and other technological information which is used to design, construct, and sell copies of technological equipment overseas and in the US and not just on Chinese street markets, right? And that the Chinese government has regulations with these companies that mandate the inclusion of security holes and flaws which (presumably) only the government knows about to allow for them to monitor anyone using said devices?

Yes I know that the NSA has its own shady poo poo here and I do not condone it at all, it should be equally protested and decried

khy fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 6, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Now I wanna watch IP man

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Bubbacub posted:

Those island bases aren't useful strategic platforms. China already has anti-ship ballistic missiles they can launch from the mainland, and it would only take one to knock out a carrier.

The ballistic anti-ship missiles are a neat idea. The problem is carriers are a moving target and we've already got development into radar obscuring smoke screens. You run a smoke vessel in front of your important ones and now the ballistic missile has to guess where to hit. I'm not sure if China's system allows for airbursts or other more imprecise detonations. The next stage will be lasers to blow up the incoming missile, but we're not there yet.

It probably does make it riskier to move close to mainland China, but out in the ocean it'd be a tough sell unless you were doing a sneak attack.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

khy posted:

You do realize the IP we're talking about here isn't bootleg games, movies, books, and the like but rather chipset architecture, circuitry design, software code, and other technological information which is used to design, construct, and sell copies of technological equipment overseas and in the US and not just on Chinese street markets, right? And that the Chinese government has regulations with these companies that mandate the inclusion of security holes and flaws which (presumably) only the government knows about to allow for them to monitor anyone using said devices?

Yes I know that the NSA has its own shady poo poo here and I do not condone it at all, it should be equally protested and decried

Ok, but if you’re saying companies shouldn’t do business with China or the Five Eyes, what options are you leaving?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

khy posted:

The blame is shared by people who just refer to "IP" alone instead of protected industrial processes or anything more descriptive than the term that applies as equally to the crayon drawing I put on my fridge as to a futuristic computer chip design.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/982327280386084866

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Good.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Oh gosh, if it keeps falling, it'll almost be where it was on Monday!

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Dietrich posted:

Yeah, there is absolutely no way a person who understands the slightest thing about how the Bible was put together or has actually read its contents could come away with the thought that it was the product of authors measurably influenced by a single timeless source of inerrant truth.

Just read the first two chapters of Genesis, which tell two different and non-compatible creation stories.

I learned about it from this thread, but the Sunday School Dropouts podcast is an amazing and hilarious way to learn about the bible.

http://sundayschooldropouts.lol/

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fallom posted:

The blame is shared by people who just refer to "IP" alone instead of protected industrial processes or anything more descriptive than the term that applies as equally to the crayon drawing I put on my fridge as to a futuristic computer chip design.

But then the issue becomes many people don’t care if Intel or Boeing get some industrial process secret stolen. For consumers the only impact is it improves the quality of Chinese knockoffs.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Krispy Wafer posted:

The ballistic anti-ship missiles are a neat idea. The problem is carriers are a moving target and we've already got development into radar obscuring smoke screens. You run a smoke vessel in front of your important ones and now the ballistic missile has to guess where to hit. I'm not sure if China's system allows for airbursts or other more imprecise detonations. The next stage will be lasers to blow up the incoming missile, but we're not there yet.

It probably does make it riskier to move close to mainland China, but out in the ocean it'd be a tough sell unless you were doing a sneak attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5_AKWcimY0&t=72s

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

VitalSigns posted:

It's funny how American workers are expected to dutifully accept losing their jobs and dying of opiate overdoses in order to 'help' Chinese slave labor, but of course the capitalist class is not expected to give up one cent of profit in order to help anyone, Chinese bootleg sellers need to be put out of business in order to make sure the profiteers get their cut of DVD sales in Shanghai.

Why are you anti IP guys repeatedly using bootlegging DVDs as your go to example? Considering all the people who get a cut off the sale of DVDs who have nothing to do with being multibillion dollar companies, it's among to worst things to point at in an argument about sticking it to the man on behalf of the people.

Helping the people by loving Unions, that'll show Capitalism!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HootTheOwl posted:

Himself. He's trying to use The Secret to prove himself Most Left.
Wasn't the secret about when it's good to stop believing in yourself?

• Locked thread