Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Pieces of Peace posted:

The SISKO needed to be on that MISSION as the only human BOMBASTIC enough to be a KLINGON!

Hey now, I wasn't questioning the wisdom of his judgment! Picard is a good diplomat and archeologist, too! If anything, I was being extra-nice to Janeway by comparing her to the two of them the way I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

I like the idea of your life hitting the rocks, so you carefully study and note cliches about alcoholism in media, then religiously preform the actions.

The Data method.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Astroman posted:

"Hold my beer"

Challenge accepted.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
e: nvm see a few posts down

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 6, 2018

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The guy who plays Jake Sisko?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
How is 'Cirroc' pronounced, anyway? Definitely harder to figure out than 'Nana'

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Gorelab posted:

The guy who plays Jake Sisko?

Oh gently caress I posted the wrong pic. Brb with the right one when I get to my computer.

e: ok here we go:

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 6, 2018

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Marc Zicree, who wrote the story of the episode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Oh gently caress I posted the wrong pic. Brb with the right one when I get to my computer.

e: ok here we go:

I’m almost certain that’s Marc Scott Zicree, the guy who wrote Far Beyond the Stars

e;fb

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Ah ok I figured it was something like that.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Marc Zicree as played by Joey Pants

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

How is 'Cirroc' pronounced, anyway? Definitely harder to figure out than 'Nana'

Sir Rock.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Captain Archer needs to infiltrate the HQ of Terra Prime, a xenophobic terrorist organization.

Does he get Starfleet Intelligence to do it? Does he send some rando MACOs that no one knows? Nope he sends his world-famous command crew, who have been on every news channel every night since the Xindi attack, who were on a broadcast that Terra Prime specifically watched last week, to go undercover.

They are identified immediately :ughh:

E: T'Pol pretending to be a lowly moon mineworker with perfectly manicured nails.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pieces of Peace posted:

The SISKO needed to be on that MISSION as the only human BOMBASTIC enough to be a KLINGON!

I think I mentioned this before, but Sisko's ANGRY KLINGON was so good because he was legit extremely angry during the filming of that episode. He absolutely hated the klingon makeup and threw a little tantrum about it but decided to channel that energy into his acting instead. I think he said it was his worst experience on the show and the most consistently angry he's ever been. They vowed to never try to put any alien makeup on him ever again.

Colm's klingon acting again wasn't so much acting as it was how he felt. He dealt with his hatred of the klingon makeup process by becoming miserable and whining non-stop to everyone. It was bad enough that they vowed to never put him in makeup ever again.

Dorn loved every moment of their misery.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

Captain Archer needs to infiltrate the HQ of Terra Prime, a xenophobic terrorist organization.

Does he get Starfleet Intelligence to do it? Does he send some rando MACOs that no one knows? Nope he sends his world-famous command crew, who have been on every news channel every night since the Xindi attack, who were on a broadcast that Terra Prime specifically watched last week, to go undercover.

They are identified immediately :ughh:

This is a problem that all Star Trek in the history of Star Trek has.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Yeah, it's kind of like "The name's Bond, James Bond. Why yes, that's my very real name that I have always had and I am choosing to use right now despite my reputation as a world-class MI6 super-spy."

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Baronjutter posted:

"A warrior's complaint!"

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Look, Bond needs everyone to know who he is so the survivors can Witness.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I just watched First Contact for the first time in like 15 years, and holy poo poo, I forgot how amazing that film is. The soundtrack, Picard, Data, Cochrane, and the Borg Queen are the obvious standouts, and the menacing depiction of the Borg was great. I remember how scary as gently caress they were in the theater.

That was 22 years ago. gently caress I feel old. :sigh:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
First Contact has its problems and is arguably the the peak and the beginning of the decline of the franchise from it's height in the 90s but I think it mostly catches a lot of poo poo because of what Voyager did with the stuff the film introduced

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Sash! posted:

This is a problem that all Star Trek in the history of Star Trek has.

Yeah, it goes all the way back to TOS where Kirk and Spock go on a nonsensical double secret mission to steal a Romulan cloaking device.

Then Picard does it at least twice and sets the stage for "contrived storyline to get the captain captured" that Enterprise ran with, what, a dozen times?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

First contact is relatively good compared to other TNG movies, and it's fun, but it's still really not great. I think Mike Stoklasa's review of it is spot on.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The First Contact main theme is one of the best pieces of music from all of Trek.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'll always love First Contact because I was the right teenage age when it came out to think the Enterprise-E was the most awesome looking thing ever.

Turns out you have to be about 15 to "get" John Eaves.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I think First Contact is easily the best of the four TNG movies. It's not as great as the best TOS movies, in my opinion, but I think it's a good movie. I really don't get why people don't like it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I think First Contact is easily the best of the four TNG movies. It's not as great as the best TOS movies, in my opinion, but I think it's a good movie. I really don't get why people don't like it.

1) jarring contrast to the show it’s based on
2) introduces a couple of things that work ok in the movie but which would go on to have a cancerous influence on the franchise
3) Enterprise E is loving ugly

I agree that it is far better than Insurrection or Nemesis, but the contrast between it and Generations is really instructive as to why so many people complain about it. Generations has a lot of problems, some of them probably unfixable, but it completely looks and feels like TNG with a big rear end silver screen budget. First Contact doesn’t, at all. Nor is it trying to. It’s a fun, entertaining, well made sci-fi action movie.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
"Assimilate this." :clint:

Just watched "Jem Hadar," the S2 finale of DS9. Awwwwww yussssssss it is on now.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

skasion posted:

1) jarring contrast to the show it’s based on
2) introduces a couple of things that work ok in the movie but which would go on to have a cancerous influence on the franchise
3) Enterprise E is loving ugly

I agree the first two are probably my biggest issues with the movie, but I think it's pretty top-notch as a stand-alone adventure and smarter than you typical action movie. (At least in terms of themes, not necessarily plot holes.)

I like to think of it as a sort of alternate take on or rebranding of TNG rather than a continuation of the series. Actually, come to think of it, I kind of see all the TNG movies as non-canonical bonus episodes rather than directly picking up after All Good Things.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Red Letter Media / Plinket got big due to his prequel reviews but I think his TNG movie reviews are even more on point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Lr8cdZwHQ

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Red Letter Media / Plinket got big due to his prequel reviews but I think his TNG movie reviews are even more on point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Lr8cdZwHQ

I like these reviews because it makes me laugh hearing somebody rip to shreds movies I liked when I was a kid. I don't necessarily agree with his assessment that the dozens of plot holes he (correctly) points out necessarily make a movie "bad," though.

I'm never sure if he actually believes those are the things that make a movie suck, or if that's just shtick.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I like to think: If I can enjoy a movie, it is at least THAT good.

Like, I love UHF, but I would be able to be honest about its flaws as well. Like how the movie works best when you think about it like a series of mildly-connected sketch comedy. But poo poo went off the rails in the Telethon act and my most recent rewatch was painful.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

The_Doctor posted:

The First Contact main theme is one of the best pieces of music from all of Trek.

Amen brother. It's probably one of the best movie scores, ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhoa7oWPPhk

RIP Jerry Goldsmith.

TNG should have ended with First Contact. It just felt like such a finality to the series at that point.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

viral spiral posted:

RIP Jerry Goldsmith.

TNG should have ended with First Contact. It just felt like such a finality to the series at that point.
Especially since what we got after that was either warmed over TNG (Insurrection) or a pile of garbage (Nemesis)

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Baronjutter posted:

Rene was super cheerful and upbeat the whole time, because the Klingon makeup was like a walk in the park compared to his usual makeup experience.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I like these reviews because it makes me laugh hearing somebody rip to shreds movies I liked when I was a kid. I don't necessarily agree with his assessment that the dozens of plot holes he (correctly) points out necessarily make a movie "bad," though.

I'm never sure if he actually believes those are the things that make a movie suck, or if that's just shtick.

Mike Stoklasa loving loves Star Trek with all his heart and soul, which is why he could look at the (TNG and 09+) movies and point out their many flaws, not just as films, but as Star Trek films.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

viral spiral posted:

RIP Jerry Goldsmith.

First Contact also nailed what Nemesis ostensibly wanted to do, give Picard his own Khan, an iconic nemesis with history. I thought First Contact did a wonderful job doing just that - that Picard's great nemesis isn't an individual, but the Borg Collective. An enemy he has history with, that's wounded him and is seemingly more than a match for him as a leader and a hero.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

First Contact also nailed what Nemesis ostensibly wanted to do, give Picard his own Khan, an iconic nemesis with history. I thought First Contact did a wonderful job doing just that - that Picard's great nemesis isn't an individual, but the Borg Collective. An enemy he has history with, that's wounded him and is seemingly more than a match for him as a leader and a hero.

The only thing that could have ruined making the Borg Collective out to be Picard's Khan would be distilling the collective down to one individual who insist that he or she is not an individuaoh crap.

Still, Queen notwithstanding, I enjoy First Contact.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

tarlibone posted:

The only thing that could have ruined making the Borg Collective out to be Picard's Khan would be distilling the collective down to one individual who insist that he or she is not an individuaoh crap.

Still, Queen notwithstanding, I enjoy First Contact.

Agreed. The Borg are one of the Star Trek threats that I think deserved the big screen, and if it hadn't been for the Queen I think First Contact would have been about the best possible way to do it.

I thought the Ahab scene with Lily established pretty well that the Borg were Picard's Khan.

Only thing that could have made First Contact better, imo, would have been Q, but working Q into a movie would be a very tall order. Or Sisko. Sisko makes everything better.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Cythereal posted:

I loved First Contact and still do, and I think this is right on point. Sure what the borg queen lead to was lame, but in the moment the way she chewed the scenery was fantastic as a villain. Even the start of Picard being an action hero works in this one because you've had plenty of build up over years about how badly the Borg incident effected him, he's not just coming out of nowhere like insurrection or nemesis. His obsession makes sense, his overreactions make sense, his frustration and pains make sense. It really is the TNG Kahn, and it had 7 years of buildup. Its not First Contacts fault the following movies kept leaning heavily on action films (well... maybe it is because it was successful).

Either way, I love every moment of First Contact, flaws and all. I loved it when it came out, and I still get caught up and love it if I catch part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Agreed. The Borg are one of the Star Trek threats that I think deserved the big screen, and if it hadn't been for the Queen I think First Contact would have been about the best possible way to do it.

I thought the Ahab scene with Lily established pretty well that the Borg were Picard's Khan.

Only thing that could have made First Contact better, imo, would have been Q, but working Q into a movie would be a very tall order. Or Sisko. Sisko makes everything better.

I wouldn't have minded Sisko and Worf in charge of the Defiant. Maybe bringing along Odo for shits and giggles. Or O'Brien. But Bashir? That'd have been too much.