Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SteelMentor posted:

Where the gently caress was the Emoji Movie trying to make a political statement, because slapping a coat of cliche Neoliberal GRRL POWER on your creepily sexualised female design really isn't a statement rather than a half-assed rear end-pull.

Okay call it that then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Sephyr posted:

I remember that mailed fist of misandry and radicalism, the Spice Girls. Andrea Dworkin had nothing on those firebrands! It's a wonder the establishment survived at all.

Well you see, by repeating the line "Girls we run this motha, girls. Who run the world? Girls" Beyonce lets slip that she's part of the insidious postmodern liberal feminist agenda who desire nothing more to make all non-beta men into castrati.

Actual loving thing a dude I knew back in college vomited into my ear once, because we asked him to stop refering to a girl as a "sandwich machine" :negative:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I might be misinterpreting him here, because I deeply resent having to watch that IHE video anymore than I already have, but when he complains about the hamfisted feminist message he somewhat comes across as dismissive of the idea that problems arising from gender inequality exist. Also he uses SJW unironically.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Among the rambling here you'll find that there's going to be a Jimquistion book!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wGLMwpOT-E&t=439s

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Gnome de plume posted:

I might be misinterpreting him here, because I deeply resent having to watch that IHE video anymore than I already have, but when he complains about the hamfisted feminist message he somewhat comes across as dismissive of the idea that problems arising from gender inequality exist. Also he uses SJW unironically.

There certainly is something astonishingly cynical about the brand of... I'm not sure I can even call it feminism in the Emoji movie. But yeah, I hated the way he started talking about it there.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

GoneRampant posted:

Let's start with "all of them" and work our way down from there. In terms of his actual production, it always struck me that he did so many reviews after other TGWTG people did them. Someone did the math once and he did ten movies right after MikeJ did them for Shameful Sequels, and he stole Mike's video premise of defending the prequels. Not hard to see why Mike felt like he was ignored by CA.

Was that before or after people agreed that "Reviewer dibs" was a dumb thing?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

lornekates posted:

So, y'know, just putting this out there, buuuuut...

Demo Reel's first episode(s) were about a group of "Swedes"-- video producers who wanted to make cheap homemade versions of popular movies, just like in that movie that Jack Black movie no one remembers anymore.

(which means that yes, he was making a video series that copies someone elses' work ABOUT copying someone elses' work, which gives quite the insight into TBF...)

Anyways, it boils down to he just wanted to make silly stupid versions of popular movies. (Before Demo Reel was rebooted to have, like, a plot-- and then was CANCELLED FOREVER).

Flash forward a few years, and 99% of his content is "put on dumb costumes, have my friend fabricate a set, do some poor green screen work-- all to copy a movie's plot in the guise of a 'review'."

It makes sense now.
Be Kind to Rewind is a pretty decent little movie and I will never not buy Rob's excuse that they didn't know about it.

Playstation 4 posted:

They were also made for deluded grandeur like Dahir Insaat. So it fits a twofer on CA.
Man what happened to those videos? It seems like Slowbeef deleted them from the channel

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
They were DMCAed by Dahiir themselves.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

achillesforever6 posted:

Man what happened to those videos? It seems like Slowbeef deleted them from the channel

They definitely do not exist anywhere.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Suede was the topic for an article featured on Patreon.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the Dahiir Insaat videos were recently freed from Copyright Strike hell so now you too can enjoy the wonders of Hellbed and Quadcopter

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

SteelMentor posted:

Actual loving thing a dude I knew back in college vomited into my ear once, because we asked him to stop refering to a girl as a "sandwich machine" :negative:

What does it say about me as a person when the first thing that pops into my head upon immediately on first reading this, without properly parsing what it meant, is Resident Evil 1?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So this is something:

https://twitter.com/TopographicFish/status/982431074293899264

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

Was that before or after people agreed that "Reviewer dibs" was a dumb thing?
The sad thing about "dibs" is that it makes sense from the perspective of a hack. You're largely riding on the shock/weirdness factor of the movie itself because you as an entertainer offer very little that some other screaming idiot going for the easiest jokes can't provide. So once somebody has seen Food Fight or those weird Tom & Jerry crossover movies from someone, the chances them seeing it from someone else are significantly lower.

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.

Bad Wolf posted:

As far as I know, CA didn't own League of Super Critics, that was a Maker Studios thing. Lindsey can correct me if I'm wrong, as she was part of that particular clusterfuck too.

LOSC was def owned by Maker. That said, in terms of in-joke burns made towards Channel Awesome, not a single one was with regard to Maker (now Disney Digital) related decisions - pretty much all, even the good-natured ones, can all be directly traced to Doug.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
MCNs remain wonderful:

https://twitter.com/Phelous/status/982325526718119937

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Pants Donkey posted:

The sad thing about "dibs" is that it makes sense from the perspective of a hack. You're largely riding on the shock/weirdness factor of the movie itself because you as an entertainer offer very little that some other screaming idiot going for the easiest jokes can't provide. So once somebody has seen Food Fight or those weird Tom & Jerry crossover movies from someone, the chances them seeing it from someone else are significantly lower.

It also does make some sense when you're "working for" a central content hub.

Polygon doesn't publish 6 reviews of Far Cry 5 just because they have a dozen writers who all want to hit that iron while it's hot.

Now, this is almost entirely an optical illusion, because Channel Awesome isn't actually a central hub, it's just an aggregator. There's no central planning, no editorial guidance, so of course the dozen adjacent channels were going to overlap substantially. These threads already had a definite phase of "it's that time of year, brace yourself for the Transformers Vlogs" during the later stages of Blip.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Lightning Knight posted:

This was a good video, great job!

Thanks a ton! I'm still a little channel chugging along, if you have any tips on growing/content to work on, I'd appreciate it!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

quote:

Demo Reel

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Maybe he had help from Chef Excellence to keep his show fresh?

Just kidding, of course; none of Doug’s shows were ever fresh.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

I suppose he at least has the patreon now.

Good luck Phelous.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Now that's entretainment.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

What exactly is Fullscreen?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Mraagvpeine posted:

What exactly is Fullscreen?

it's when an image fills the entire screen without any borders

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Cinema Nippon looks at a film that, despite being the highest-grossing Japanese film of the 1980s (in Japan), is relatively obscure in the west:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhzdHeziGSY

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Among the rambling here you'll find that there's going to be a Jimquistion book!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wGLMwpOT-E&t=439s

Having never watched anything with this guy, he can't possibly be as punchable as the thumbnail makes him appear, can he?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Having never watched anything with this guy, he can't possibly be as punchable as the thumbnail makes him appear, can he?

He might even be intentionally so. He's got a faux self-importance shtick that seems sincere for like five minutes until you catch on. He's also somehow managed to make himself a wrestling heel, under Sterdust.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Calico Heart posted:

Thanks a ton! I'm still a little channel chugging along, if you have any tips on growing/content to work on, I'd appreciate it!

I’m not gonna lie I don’t know anything about old movies and little about the technical side of filmmaking so I don’t really. I subbed tho.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jesus christ

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I'd be really interested in seeing that defense be played out in a court of law.

Specifically that "Yes she was underage but I found her too attractive to resit" line.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Nash has left Channel Awesome.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

So did Tony Goldmark.

https://twitter.com/tonygoldmark/status/982686726576422912?s=21

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

And The Dom as well. Also, just before he send his resignation, he got a form letter saying the CA 10th anniversary has been cancelled.

Edit : Calluna is gone too. Hope Doug and the gang are having fun at that convention !

Bad Wolf fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 7, 2018

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He might even be intentionally so. He's got a faux self-importance shtick that seems sincere for like five minutes until you catch on. He's also somehow managed to make himself a wrestling heel, under Sterdust.

The impression I've gotten from the jim sterling stuff I've seen is that he basically managed to successfully create the kind of OTT nerdlord hateball character that Walker and company spent years falling to make.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
And the Last Angry Geek just left too. This is significant because he's been a good personal friend to the Walkers for 10 years.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

The responses I've seen to the John K thing range from yeah everyone knew that to I knew he was an rear end in a top hat but holy poo poo I had no idea.

https://twitter.com/TheBillyWest/status/981261232102502400

https://twitter.com/my2k/status/979475495271071744

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Bad Wolf posted:

Edit : Calluna is gone too. Hope Doug and the gang are having fun at that convention !

https://twitter.com/CallunaReviews/status/982691245762859008

From this she mentions that the top management actually were planning an anniversary special but it had been canceled as of...today I guess? Maybe it had been decided earlier and they just hadn't told anyone else on the site yet. Which is normal to hear by this point.

It's a really smart thing to cancel said movie actually, I can just imagine how tone deaf the final product would actually be if it was just the Walkers and the handful of contributors they'd have left by the time it went up.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/CallunaReviews/status/982691245762859008

From this she mentions that the top management actually were planning an anniversary special but it had been canceled as of...today I guess? Maybe it had been decided earlier and they just hadn't told anyone else on the site yet. Which is normal to hear by this point.

It's a really smart thing to cancel said movie actually, I can just imagine how tone deaf the final product would actually be if it was just the Walkers and the handful of contributors they'd have left by the time it went up.

Thank you ! I don't know how to embed tweets. Oh, and Rocked Reviews has just resigned too.

At this point, I think I'm gonna save me a lot of typing and just produce a detailed list the producers that are definetly NOT leaving Channel Awesome

1. Doug Walker

That is all.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Leal posted:

I change my vote of bad Doug takes from Sailor Moon to his LP. God I forgot he tried to capitalize on that trend.

BARTS NIGHTMARE is the video so bad it made me stop even vaguely caring about the guy's output. because, like, it sucks a lot, it's awful, but then you realize the things that make it awful are just exaggerations of the poo poo he does already in his regular videos, and that's it. fuckin done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

The responses I've seen to the John K thing range from yeah everyone knew that to I knew he was an rear end in a top hat but holy poo poo I had no idea.

https://twitter.com/TheBillyWest/status/981261232102502400

https://twitter.com/my2k/status/979475495271071744

yea John K being a lovely person insane views and hateful opinions has been an open secret for a while, and in animation he's for sure one of those guys that a whole lot of people either have a story or have a friend with a story about. This is kinda a new level of 'John is a hateful misogynist creep' to a lot of folks even in the know, though.

• Locked thread