Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

When they announced the Reivers, I was really disappointed that they were just carrying blades. I had plans to do a Flesh Tearers Primaris army, but without chainswords what's the point?

Nothing says stealth like "Brrraaaaaapapapngngngngng"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Eifert Posting posted:

Nothing says stealth like "Brrraaaaaapapapngngngngng"

Well clearly they'd be silenced :colbert:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Corrode posted:

Deceiver
Night Scythe/s
Anrakyr + Lychguard reserved

Pre-game, use the Deceiver to deploy the Scythe 12" away. It can't assault but the contents can, so beam them out and go wild.

Man, there’s no way that doesn’t get FAQ’d. There’s almost no way that I wouldn’t field a Deceiver almost every game if it’s intentional, considering I plan on running 1-2 Nightscythes per game anyway.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The thing is that units getting pooped out of a night scythe/monolith are techincally being deployed, not disembarking

and even if they did you still have Zahndrek and Obyron's Excellent Adventure (grand illusion zahndrekh, use obyron's ghostwalker mantle to poof the lychguard into charge range)

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

PierreTheMime posted:

Man, there’s no way that doesn’t get FAQ’d. There’s almost no way that I wouldn’t field a Deceiver almost every game if it’s intentional, considering I plan on running 1-2 Nightscythes per game anyway.

Like, it’s clearly good but not wildly outside the scope of what other things can do - good screening should still keep the lychguard from murderising anything too important turn 1, and in order to do that you have to put three high value units (deceiver, lychguard, anrakyr) near the enemy lines, which some armies will be able to viciously exploit.

Don’t get me wrong, deceiver is still a great buy and lets you pull nasty tricks, but turning a quarter of your army over to a strategy that only really works well against armies that struggle to screen is merely fine. It does have the upside that three of the four units involved (everything except the lychguard) are things you definitely don’t mind having anyway,

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

One_Wing posted:

Like, it’s clearly good but not wildly outside the scope of what other things can do - good screening should still keep the lychguard from murderising anything too important turn 1, and in order to do that you have to put three high value units (deceiver, lychguard, anrakyr) near the enemy lines, which some armies will be able to viciously exploit.

Don’t get me wrong, deceiver is still a great buy and lets you pull nasty tricks, but turning a quarter of your army over to a strategy that only really works well against armies that struggle to screen is merely fine. It does have the upside that three of the four units involved (everything except the lychguard) are things you definitely don’t mind having anyway,

Oh, I was planning on dropping in 20 Memphrit Warriors and a Cryptek. I agree it’s not always appropriate, but it’s harder to screen for and if you toss a couple CP at it can be vicious.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

Oh, I was planning on dropping in 20 Memphrit Warriors and a Cryptek. I agree it’s not always appropriate, but it’s harder to screen for and if you toss a couple CP at it can be vicious.

Yeah that’s much closer to the sort of thing I’m looking at - sometimes putting 20 warriors in their face can be vicious.

Armies also exist where the deceiver himself can have a good go at making back his points by taking the “d3 to units within 9 on a 4+” power, and advancing and blowing that after illusioning in.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

Well clearly they'd be silenced :colbert:

"GOD drat IT BROTHER SEVERUS, DON'T REV THE CHAIN BLADES BEFORE WE STRIKE!"

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

I could have listed everything primaris that has plasma as an option, but instead I just picked the plasma primaris unit in my 1000pt list vOv

I went with Inceptors instead of Hellblasters because the list has no vehicles (what with half of it unitwise deep striking, and the other half having dece range) so I'm better off having threatening stuff able to deploy anywhere.

Also, Inceptors look cooler.

you could have just admitted that you forgot about the one plasma only primaris unit instead of listing a bunch of bullshit excuses :shrug:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Am I an idiot, or can dudes embarked on a ghost ark no longer shoot out of it?

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Groetgaffel posted:

Am I an idiot, or can dudes embarked on a ghost ark no longer shoot out of it?

You are correct, sadly. Ghost Arks have no "open topped"-equivalent rule.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

you could have just admitted that you forgot about the one plasma only primaris unit instead of listing a bunch of bullshit excuses :shrug:

Except that's legit the reason why; discusso was "why not give them all plasma guns then" and Inceptors can have just that. :shrug:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

ElNarez posted:

I mean the goal is to showcase the Drukhari army so you run to your shop tomorrow to get the codex. It would look pretty bad if they got torn the hell up.

The streamers were stating that most of the time they do this, the new army gets rolled.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Welp, Drukari codex is now up on iBooks and a raider with a dark lance sure is 85 points.

I should buy a boat raider (or I will as soon as the FAQ drops and I can check that soup lists still work).

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

One_Wing posted:

Welp, Drukari codex is now up on iBooks and a raider with a dark lance sure is 85 points.

I should buy a boat raider (or I will as soon as the FAQ drops and I can check that soup lists still work).

I'm sensing a return of the 3rd edition 6x 10 man dark eldar squads with 2 dark lances a piece, all mounted on dark lance raiders.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So I haven't listened to the badcast since like november because of me moving and pausing my hobbies for a while, this week I've been plowing through them and am working on finishing a second tank this week

I wasn't paying attention to the instructions when assembling it and the sponson mounts are on inside out but once sponsons are on them it won't matter

Can't wait to drive it around from behind a ruin and shoot a knight or baneblade or something.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I'm playing my Imperial Fists against World Eaters tomorrow on a fairly small table at my local GW store.

Should I bother teleport-striking my terminators with Lysander or just wait for the World Eaters to get in range and hope to chop em down with rapid fire and overwatch? I don't know what scenario we're playing so I guess that might matter.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm playing my Imperial Fists against World Eaters tomorrow on a fairly small table at my local GW store.

Should I bother teleport-striking my terminators with Lysander or just wait for the World Eaters to get in range and hope to chop em down with rapid fire and overwatch? I don't know what scenario we're playing so I guess that might matter.

Without seeing what's in either army it's a bit hard to say.

In isolation Khorne Berserkers shouldn't be able to shoot you off the table or anything like that :shrug:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
On a small table you do need to be very careful if you’re holding stuff in reserves because it’s much easier to get zoned out of good deployment zones.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
https://imgur.com/a/969Wq

Many rules from the Drukhari codex if you're interested

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

Without seeing what's in either army it's a bit hard to say.

In isolation Khorne Berserkers shouldn't be able to shoot you off the table or anything like that :shrug:

I'm fielding a couple tac squads and some snipers to try and snag some mortal wounds, and a devastator squad with missile launchers to either go anti-infantry or anti-dreadnought. My plan is to just sit and wait and shoot them as they come. I've got a squad of Aggressors and shooty terms as well, with Lysander and a Primaris Librarian.

Considering purchasing either Intercessors or a Veteran squad tomorrow as well.

Bringing my new Vindicator (I know it's bad now, but it looks cool!) so hopefully I can do some damage to what I can only assume will be large hordes of choppy stuff.

I guess my question really is about deployment. Lysander will grant a re-roll of ones, so I'm thinking that my aggressors will stay near him, along with at least a tac squad. But I'm not sure how I should spread things out.

1500 points, Lysander and the Prim Librarian, two tactical squads of 6, an aggressor squad, 5 scout snipers, an ironclad dreadnought, shooty terms, a dev squad, and a vindicator.

I'm gonna try and keep Lysander within 6 inches of as many units as possible but try and stay spread out enough by the time they charge me to avoid any multi-charges. Ideally my aggressors will be able to use their firestorm ability, so I'll probably throw them somewhat up front.

Fingers crossed. Last week I got wrecked by Hive Fleet Kraken. 1500 points and so many giant monsters and genestealers :(

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Went to the FLGS to grab ironbreaker and necron compound and walked out with my second forgebane box as well. I am weak.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Cross Post.

Stanyer89 posted:

Whatever 2018 Allied Tox I agreed to is complete. Going back to the call of the Awuuu with all the rest of my virgin Space Pup friends.

Enjoy some yellow space barbies.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Stanyer89 posted:

Cross Post.

Holy poo poo.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
R.I.P. Trueborn and Blood Brides.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
No more full-sized blaster for the Archon.

But the venom blade is back.

I know its not optimal but gently caress yeah venom blade's back.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Der Waffle Mous posted:

No more full-sized blaster for the Archon.

But the venom blade is back.

I know its not optimal but gently caress yeah venom blade's back.

You can still take it from the Index.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

One_Wing posted:

Raider comes with dark lance so the vehicle itself is only 65 pts.

Vanilla Venoms and raiders are so inexpensive relative to their weapon options I feel like it’s not worth it to replace their starting weapons

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 7, 2018

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

S.J. posted:

You can still take it from the Index.

I know but just let me be excited about my lovely knife that always wounds.

edit: Also even if trueborn are index only, 10-warrior squads can go 2 blasters 1 heavy now.

edit 2: Can't remember if this was a thing with CWE but Ynnari units don't get to use obsessions.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 7, 2018

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Raider comes with dark lance so the vehicle itself is only 65 pts.

Vanilla Venoms and raiders are so inexpensive relative to their weapon options I feel like it’s not worth it to replace their starting weapons

Confused by this post. You still have to pay the 20 points for the Dark Lance.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

S.J. posted:

Just asking for a friend who's thinking about getting back in, really. He just likes the way they look. As long as they aren't hot garbage he won't care too bad.

Corrode posted:

Nothing in 8th is too bad to be fun in casual games tbh. If you want to finish top 10 at a GT pure GKs is a non-starter but for tooling around in semi-competitive games with friends they'll be fine.
This. If he's interested in them and is not actually setting out to play strictly competitively (which, let's be honest, if he was serious about he'd have read up in advance and would know this already) then encourage him to play whatever is most compelling to him. Grey Knights are metal as gently caress and easier to start with because of the lower opportunity cost as far as time and resources to put together.

Corrode posted:

I instinctively fear GKs purely thanks to 5th.
Shh... it's ok now, the last two editions have done their work on Grey Knights already
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ6wSei-NJU&t=68s

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

PierreTheMime posted:

One_Wing posted:

There's every chance they'll FAQ "units brought in via the Night Scythe can't charge either" but honestly I don't think it's too bad - it's very easy to screen out and it's a big points investment to pull off. Especially when you have infiltrating Cultist blobs in the world or Dragoons slingshotting across, putting 600ish pts into a gimmick like this is pretty tame in comparison.

Also worth pointing out that the Deceiver himself doesn't have to move, so you can just use the D3 and put the Night Scythe forwards without slinging him up there too, which is less dangerous for the Necron player.

Stanyer89 posted:

Cross Post.

Good goddamn those are stunning.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I know but just let me be excited about my lovely knife that always wounds.

edit: Also even if trueborn are index only, 10-warrior squads can go 2 blasters 1 heavy now.

edit 2: Can't remember if this was a thing with CWE but Ynnari units don't get to use obsessions.

Part of the gimmick with the Ynnari list was using Ynnari-Saim Hann Shining Spears no? So that probably indicates that that's getting FAQed out and stuff is either Ynnari or gets to use the Craftworld stuff but not both.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Corrode posted:

There's every chance they'll FAQ "units brought in via the Night Scythe can't charge either" but honestly I don't think it's too bad - it's very easy to screen out and it's a big points investment to pull off. Especially when you have infiltrating Cultist blobs in the world or Dragoons slingshotting across, putting 600ish pts into a gimmick like this is pretty tame in comparison.

Also worth pointing out that the Deceiver himself doesn't have to move, so you can just use the D3 and put the Night Scythe forwards without slinging him up there too, which is less dangerous for the Necron player.

Good goddamn those are stunning.

Part of the gimmick with the Ynnari list was using Ynnari-Saim Hann Shining Spears no? So that probably indicates that that's getting FAQed out and stuff is either Ynnari or gets to use the Craftworld stuff but not both.

To be fair, the Shining Spears weren't using the Saim Hann Craftworld trait as I recall - it was more than they were a valid target for a Saim Hann stratagem. Here's hoping the faq clears up how you get access to stratagems, and who they can be used on.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

The relics and warlord traits look really fun and I kinda want to have the Cult of Strife party succubus who is on all the drugs.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Flavivirus posted:

To be fair, the Shining Spears weren't using the Saim Hann Craftworld trait as I recall - it was more than they were a valid target for a Saim Hann stratagem. Here's hoping the faq clears up how you get access to stratagems, and who they can be used on.

Ah yeah that was it.

I need to find an excuse to go and pick up my copy today. And like 10 more Raiders.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Corrode posted:

Ah yeah that was it.

I need to find an excuse to go and pick up my copy today. And like 10 more Raiders.

It certainly looks spicy from my initial full read, so much stuff got cheaper. Raiders dropping down to 85 pts is gigantic. Reavers going down to an eye watering 19ppm is exceptional - running a blob of 12 of them and taking the +1 toughness drug makes pretty much any other biker unit in the game weep with jealously. Voidravens with missiles got a 29 point drop that they really didn’t need.

All of this is anchored around kabalites, wyches and wracks all being exceptionally aggressively costed now. I expect most competitive armies to be a lot of troops choices in transports backed up by voidravens, mandrakes and reavers to taste. Some of the various monsters look like they’ve been aggressively costed enough to at least try out, but I’d need to have run them on the battlefield to get a feel for how good they are.

Pure Drukari lists are going to suffer from the three detachments rule in tournaments though, there’s basically no way to build a sensible brigade detachment in the book, as there’s clearly been no effort to make sure each of the three army types has a slot filler in each battlefield role, so to fill out elites in a Kabal one you’d have to use mandrakes or Incubi (realistically mandrakes, as they look extremely spicy at 16ppm). There’s also only one HQ for each army type (outside named ones), and succubi are the only ones that immediately look like you might want multiples of “on rate”.

Triple patrol probably is how you run Drukari in tournaments, and being limited to 6+d3 starting CP (you will always do this) is a bit of a shame given how incredible the strategem sheet is.

Edit: I’ve also found the now traditional hilarious cock-up - they forgot to give Leleith Hesperax her invuln, at least in the digital edition, so now she has an exciting 6+ save as her only defence.

One_Wing fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 7, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Neat, addresses concerns about Counter detachments (at least in that you're missing out on more toys to get it) + makes sense fluffwise/thematically.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Oh, jeez. Wych weapons got some big changes.

Hydra gauntlets are as they were. +1 attack and reroll wounds.
Razorflails are now +d3 attacks reroll hits.
Shardnet and Impaler are now +1 attack and if an enemy unit within 3 inches wants to fall back it rolls a d3 in the roll-off instead of a D6.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Flavivirus posted:

I think there’s got to be something coming, because theres no text on the Kabal of the Black Heart strategem that specifies you must have a KotBH unit alive or anything, so based on the current ruling everyone plays you just need any Drukari detachment in the army to use it.

I’ve basically always assumed that having to have a full detachment of the relevant sub-faction to use their strategems was rules as intended, it’s just that a really rules lawyery interpretation of it was adopted by all the Ynnarri players and allowed by the ITC, so I’ll be glad if it gets clamped down on.

Alternatively, the strategem could be errated to “while a Kabal of the Black Heart archon is alive”, it’s easily powerful enough that adding an additional rider is fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

One_Wing posted:

Pure Drukari lists are going to suffer from the three detachments rule in tournaments though, there’s basically no way to build a sensible brigade detachment in the book, as there’s clearly been no effort to make sure each of the three army types has a slot filler in each battlefield role, so to fill out elites in a Kabal one you’d have to use mandrakes or Incubi (realistically mandrakes, as they look extremely spicy at 16ppm).

Mandrakes won't work because they don't have <KABAL>. Nor will the Archon's Court because they don't take up an Elite slot while you have an Archon.