Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Quatre is the only one that gives a poo poo about the bigger picture that's why he ends up in the leadership role. Heero sort of does once he gets Zero but knows no one really wants to follow a drat thing he says and prefers being alone anyway. Everyone else would be perfectly content to diddle around doing their own thing which is why they don't really fully team up until there are maybe 5 episodes left in the show. They hardly could be counted on to cooperate for longer than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I mean Zechs is a marginally better father than Duo and that's just not right. Also Noin's bro being Zechs's lookalike is makes that whole relationship a bit weirder.

Being fair, her brother had himself altered to look like Zechs, he didn't start off that way. Politics in Wing is weird yo.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

drat

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EthanSteele posted:

Newtypes are cool when they aren't Super Saiyans like in Unicorn. I think Quatre is a Newtype or something very close because he is a sensitive boy who cares about things and has the heart of space, which is warm and friendly, not cold and empty.

If we're saying who's a newtype in shows without newtypes, wasn't it implied that being a newtype, or at least something like one, was why Mu La Flaga could pilot the Moebius Zero? I mean, I'm really unsure since I've never seen SEED, but I vaguely remember hearing that was a thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

If we're saying who's a newtype in shows without newtypes, wasn't it implied that being a newtype, or at least something like one, was why Mu La Flaga could pilot the Moebius Zero? I mean, I'm really unsure since I've never seen SEED, but I vaguely remember hearing that was a thing.

Yeah, Mu was an explicit Newtype as was his father presumably because his father's three clones are all Newtypes. It's a weird plot point that is ever only meaningfully used in X Astray.

(X Astray is legitimately one of the best uses of Newtype Empathy in a Gundam thing though.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is the Grimoire Red Beret basically a Scopedog? Because that's the vibe I'm getting from it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is the Grimoire Red Beret basically a Scopedog? Because that's the vibe I'm getting from it.

It has drones and knives in its knees so it's less of a scopedog than the regular grimoire.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Droyer posted:

It has drones and knives in its knees so it's less of a scopedog than the regular grimoire.

But the Red Beret is greener and the roller wheels in its feet remind me of the Scopedogs skimming over the ground.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't see any similarity.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm leaning towards "heavily inspired by", personally.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't see any similarity.

I think a Hi-Mock would've been the better kit to start from for a Scopedog-alike, but it's still cool to see G-Reco designs being used :allears:.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think a Hi-Mock would've been the better kit to start from for a Scopedog-alike, but it's still cool to see G-Reco designs being used :allears:.

Grimoiredogs were posted online the first week Grimoire models were out.

IIRC, most G-Reco kits sold out quickly because they really underestimated demand.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I didn't know there was a Grimroire featured in Divers.

Guess I'm gonna watch it, now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

Grimoiredogs were posted online the first week Grimoire models were out.

IIRC, most G-Reco kits sold out quickly because they really underestimated demand.

I still want a loving Hecate HG with its chaingun-axe :colbert:.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Isn't "Newtype" actually kind of a joke term in setting? Like Deikum predicted a "new type" of humanity, so every scam artist and biofeedback nerd got called a "new type" sarcastically; then when they actually did find emergent spatial/empathic abilities, that stuck?

As for it being a unique superpower ubermensch thing, it seems to be the result of coming from a disenfranchised population ruled by a minority... but then that just must make it even more despicable!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nessus posted:

Isn't "Newtype" actually kind of a joke term in setting? Like Deikum predicted a "new type" of humanity, so every scam artist and biofeedback nerd got called a "new type" sarcastically; then when they actually did find emergent spatial/empathic abilities, that stuck?

As for it being a unique superpower ubermensch thing, it seems to be the result of coming from a disenfranchised population ruled by a minority... but then that just must make it even more despicable!

It's not really a joke term. I don't recall reading or seeing any material where it's used sarcastically; the closest I can think of is whenever someone in setting distinguishes themselves as a pilot people start wondering if they're a newtype whether or not they actually are. Deikun did envision a new type of humanity and the term stuck, though nobody was really sure what that really meant until you had honest to god real newtypes start emerging around the time of the OYW. There's a lot of "Could he be a newtype?" in Mobile Suit Gundam, and Kycilia explicitly establishes a newtype research initiative which is what creates the primitive psycommu weapons used at the end of the OYW like the Elmeth, the Braw Bro, and the Zeong.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Quatre is the only one that gives a poo poo about the bigger picture that's why he ends up in the leadership role. Heero sort of does once he gets Zero but knows no one really wants to follow a drat thing he says and prefers being alone anyway. Everyone else would be perfectly content to diddle around doing their own thing which is why they don't really fully team up until there are maybe 5 episodes left in the show. They hardly could be counted on to cooperate for longer than that.

Sally Po is the person who actually spearheads the whole 'work together and actually accomplish something' initiative, and she does it quietly and effectively instead of preening.

It's misleading to suggest that the other Gundam pilots aren't thinking about the big picture, they're just not in a position to effectively do anything about it until all of a sudden 5 gundams are conveniently together on a big starship with full maintenance crew and facilities.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shinjobi posted:

I didn't know there was a Grimroire featured in Divers.

Guess I'm gonna watch it, now.

Check the prologue first, that has all the Grimoire action so far.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gundam Bracer Phoenix, Gundam Striker Eureka, Gundam Tacit Ronin, Gundam Gypsy Danger.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kanos posted:

Quatre sort of landed the "commander" position because he's the only one of the Wing boys who is portrayed as being interested in communication and cooperation ever. The rest of them range from active lone wolves to openly antagonistic.

There is a scene at the end where Wufei is bending something (because Wufei) and comments that he thought Heero was the "sanest" of the Pilots.

I think that single bit of dialogue sums up the whole group. They're all crazy, they all know they're crazy, and they're so loving crazy that they thought Heero was the sane one.

I love Gundam Wing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Now I want to see a team of custom gunpla in Build Divers that're just off-model RX-78-02's :allears:.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Now I want to see a team of custom gunpla in Build Divers that're just off-model RX-78-02's :allears:.

Force Gondum.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
PU-78-2

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I want to see someone in the anime using a Gunboy, Man Machine, For The Barrel unit or maybe a Ring of Gundam unit. Build Fighters went to G-Saviour, let's see them step it up with some really obscure and slightly off market Gundam poo poo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
A Gaia Gear custom build.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

tsob posted:

I want to see someone in the anime using a Gunboy, Man Machine, For The Barrel unit or maybe a Ring of Gundam unit. Build Fighters went to G-Saviour, let's see them step it up with some really obscure and slightly off market Gundam poo poo.

I want to see some background dude walking around dressed up like For The Barrel Char.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I just googled For the Barrel and I'm kind of impressed by how weird it is

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Thought to myself "did the steel battalion guy design these robots" and what do you know, he did.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

sassassin posted:

Sally Po is the person who actually spearheads the whole 'work together and actually accomplish something' initiative, and she does it quietly and effectively instead of preening.

It's misleading to suggest that the other Gundam pilots aren't thinking about the big picture, they're just not in a position to effectively do anything about it until all of a sudden 5 gundams are conveniently together on a big starship with full maintenance crew and facilities.

Sally Po is a third tier character plot device who exists to float through, say a meaningful phrase and fade back into the background. Her and Noin deserved their own spin off buddy cop series, but that's another topic entirely. Sally Po is not a driving force for anyone but maybe Wufei and Wufei is a stupid gently caress up. She is there to conveniently get them gear or people because well we're out of options OH SNAP THERE'S SALLY! (I like sally but don't give her that much credit).

I don't think it's misleading, name one thought or action anyone but Quatre takes that implies they get the bigger picture? Duo is just hanging out collecting scraps not sure what to do, Trowa is basically a pilot zombie without much drive himself he's just along for the ride as always, Heero literally only joins up because Zero showed him it was the best way to win, and Wufei is only convinced of that as well once Zero convinces him. Quatre is the only one who at any point in the series tries to consider the larger implications of their actions and works to direct them towards an achievable impact beyond "I blew up X many mobile dolls".

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 8, 2018

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sally Po is a third tier character plot device who exists to float through, say a meaningful phrase and fade back into the background. Her and Noin deserved their own spin off buddy cop series, but that's another topic entirely. Sally Po is not a driving force for anyone but maybe Wufei and Wufei is a stupid gently caress up. She is there to conveniently get them gear or people because well we're out of options OH SNAP THERE'S SALLY! (I like sally but don't give her that much credit).

So you agree that she quietly and effectively gets the band together to save the day?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

sassassin posted:

So you agree that she quietly and effectively gets the band together to save the day?

I don't think she does anything that actually impacts them besides Wufei. They come together on their own that she is a transporter for them doesn't make her important. It makes her a plot device in service of that end. I think we disagree on how important being a driver of vehicles is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think she does anything that actually impacts them besides Wufei. They come together on their own that she is a transporter for them doesn't make her important. It makes her a plot device in service of that end. I think we disagree on how important being a driver of vehicles is.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

I don't think it's misleading, name one thought or action anyone but Quatre takes that implies they get the bigger picture? Duo is just hanging out collecting scraps not sure what to do, Trowa is basically a pilot zombie without much drive himself (his Gundam also gets the least amount of screen time the entire show and the smallest upgrade at the end), Heero literally only joins up because Zero showed him it was the best way to win, and Wufei is only convinced of that as well once Zero convinces him. Quatre is the only one who at any point in the series tries to consider the larger implications of their actions and works to direct them towards an achievable impact beyond "I blew up X many mobile dolls".

Duo rejects the advances of rebel factions during his holiday with Hilde, recognising that more meaningless battles will just lead to further death and escalation. That's a big picture position.

Wufei attempts to destroy every weapon in space. Big picture goal.

Quatre has a lot of bright ideas like "we should go to space" and "let's fight for total pacifism" that amount to sod all positive (plenty of negatives), specifically because he doesn't understand the larger implications of those actions. His most successful big picture idea is when becomes a space terrorist and murders miners and Trowa.

He's a budget Relena bleating about peace and love while meandering aimlessly from one pointless battle to the next. It's not until the ancillary characters tip their hand that he and the other Gundam pilots can actually save the planet (as part of Treize horrifying master plan).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Warfare is 90% logistics.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I always loved the random lines she tossed out in English for no reason at all.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I never implied any of them were actually good at the politics, only that Quatre is the only one that really cares and wants to do a thing about it. Duo has no answers other than he doesn't want to make it worse.

Sally being logistics lady doesn't mean she brought them together in anything other than a physical sense. Their team building has nothing to do with her outside of Wufei. Her literally transporting them to each other does not matter to them coming together, anyone could have done that. It makes sense for it to be her, but I just don't see her as that valuable a character to the team's motivations to join together (again Wufei excepted because he's the one that has any actual relationship with her).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sally being logistics lady doesn't mean she brought them together in anything other than a physical sense. Their team building has nothing to do with her outside of Wufei. Her literally transporting them to each other does not matter to them coming together, anyone could have done that.

This is all good stuff that supports my position that Sally Po was MVP.