Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I bought a spark wheel and it's pretty rad - it's essentially the lighter without the fuel with replaceable flints that can be used one-handed. Weighs a lot less than a flint-and-tinder, if that's your thing, and only costs a few bucks. I still have a couple mini bics but it's a neat backup as long as you don't drop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

khysanth posted:

Definitely continue to bring a lighter with you for if/when this eventually fails.

Love my Snow Peak and the other 6 stoves I own. Always bring a lighter.

A few months ago we were camping at timberline on a Volcano on snow. My piezo stopped working. My peanut lighter mysteriously wouldn't light no matter how much I warmed it. Luckily, girlfriend had a Bic.

E: To be really sure, bring a Mk 4 VW steering wheel (magnesium!!!) and some flint.

meselfs fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 7, 2018

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
How do you guys not have like 4-5 mini-Bics stashed all over your pack and person? They are like a buck and weigh nothing.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Big props to the guy who managed to lose two lighters. Was this while you were out in the woods?

Once as a scout leader I went on a weekend trip with like 15 kids and a couple other leaders. We managed to forget to bring any source of fire. Luckily one of my friends who was a leader smoked so he had a lighter with him.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Wow! I was in REI over the weekend trying to find something to use my 20% coupon and dividend on and I see Big Agnes has a new UL tent out that combines the best features of the Copper Spur and Fly Creek.

The Tiger Wall has two side doors and two vestibules with a cross pole to increase headroom and overall volume. It uses the triangular pole configuration of the Fly Creek and similar light weight materials. Big Agnes also updated the zipper to be two discrete zips which meet at the corner instead of one that has to go around a curve. That curve is where a lot of the Fly Creeks tended to break after repeated use. The TW UL2 is only 4oz heavier than the FC UL2 while the TW UL3 is actually lighter than the FC UL3 by a couple ounces. Needless to say I picked up the UL3 for me and the girlfriend. This tent seriously fixed every issue I had with my Fly Creek.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
That's really cool. I had the same problem with the nemo hornet 2p, my head would brush up against the lining due to the extreme taper.

I used my 20% on an oru bay kayak at 11pm last night after a week of pontificating...
Haven't had a kayak since moving into a tiny apartment, wonder if I still have the muscle memory to do a roll.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
How would you roll a boat that doesn't even use a skirt? Pretty sure boats like that aren't designed for people to roll them.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Tigren posted:

Wow! I was in REI over the weekend trying to find something to use my 20% coupon and dividend on and I see Big Agnes has a new UL tent out that combines the best features of the Copper Spur and Fly Creek.

The Tiger Wall has two side doors and two vestibules with a cross pole to increase headroom and overall volume. It uses the triangular pole configuration of the Fly Creek and similar light weight materials. Big Agnes also updated the zipper to be two discrete zips which meet at the corner instead of one that has to go around a curve. That curve is where a lot of the Fly Creeks tended to break after repeated use. The TW UL2 is only 4oz heavier than the FC UL2 while the TW UL3 is actually lighter than the FC UL3 by a couple ounces. Needless to say I picked up the UL3 for me and the girlfriend. This tent seriously fixed every issue I had with my Fly Creek.

I just cross-checked the TW2 against my "old" Mountain Hardwear Twin Arch 2, and what the hell, man. The Tiger Wall is loving half the weight and larger in almost every dimension, and has two doors? loving, my so-called "two person tent" is more like "one plus gear" too. The hell is the Tiger Wall made of, spun virgin's tears and nun farts?

edit: Jesus H. Christ on a pogo stick with Mary and Judas, have I really owned this thing for almost ten years now?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 11, 2018

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I just cross-checked the TW2 against my "old" Mountain Hardwear Twin Arch 2, and what the hell, man. The Tiger Wall is loving half the weight and larger in almost every dimension, and has two doors? loving, my so-called "two person tent" is more like "one plus gear" too. The hell is the Tiger Wall made of, spun virgin's tears and nun farts?

edit: Jesus H. Christ on a pogo stick with Mary and Judas, have I really owned this thing for almost ten years now?

Oh ya, I forgot to post these extremely tasty specs:

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

n8r posted:

How would you roll a boat that doesn't even use a skirt? Pretty sure boats like that aren't designed for people to roll them.

the oru bay cockpit can fit a skirt

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

MeruFM posted:

I used my 20% on an oru bay kayak at 11pm last night after a week of pontificating...
Haven't had a kayak since moving into a tiny apartment, wonder if I still have the muscle memory to do a roll.

:hfive:

gently caress yeah! Nice to see another Oru convert! You won't regret it, I've done 4 day kayak camping trips in mine and it's performed stellar. Make sure you get a good paddle, I think I got the magic Carlisle plus and it's been great. I can't wait to take mine out more this year!

Make sure you set it up and practice assembly before taking it out. First time took me thirty minutes, now it takes me less than five. Also use the zipper lube, it'll make sliding the zippers on much easier. Also be prepared to roll while adjusting the seat for the first time. That's the only time I've it though, it's fairly easy to figure out. And disassembly/assembly is super easy once you've done it once and get a gist for how it folds out/in. Don't forget to adjust the foot holder.

Also, I'm 6'4" and getting in and out takes a bit of extricating my limbs, but you might have an easier time than me. Otherwise it's a loving fantastic boat, can't wait to see your first trip report!

I haven't gotten the spray skirt for mine, but you're definitely want it if you plan on rolling.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Family vacation this year is going to be camping stuff :toot:

Just dropped a few hundred bucks on a couple two-man tents (Half Dome for wife and baby, tarptent for me and son since he's way too wiggly for a hammock) and sleeping pads for us all. Dropping that much cash at once made me sweat a lil bit not gonna lie but being able to do outdoorsy poo poo with everyone is gonna be rad. If the loving blizzards and ice storms ever stop at least.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

meselfs posted:

A few months ago we were camping at timberline on a Volcano on snow. My piezo stopped working. My peanut lighter mysteriously wouldn't light no matter how much I warmed it. Luckily, girlfriend had a Bic.

E: To be really sure, bring a Mk 4 VW steering wheel (magnesium!!!) and some flint.

Changes in air pressure change the electrical properties of air. This frequently causes piezoelectric lighters to fail at high elevation.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

I think piezos just fail at high elevation for the same reason that most stove/ignition problems happen at high elevations: cold air and cold fuel.

Sparks are actually easier to strike for a given voltage as you reduce air pressure, until you get into vacuum pressures. Actually, some piston engine aircraft can have problems with arcing in the ignition system at high elevations for this reason.

The piezolectric properties of the commonly used PZT material do decrease linearly with temperature, but at even -40 degrees it should only be a 20% or so reduction. That might be enough to turn an already marginal ignition source into a dud, though.

The bottom line is that the energy in the tiny spark from a piezo igniter is much less than the energy in the flame from a lighter or match, or from burning magnesium / ferrocerium. So in challenging ignition conditions, piezos may have problems just by virtue of being a relatively weak, low volume ignition source. If you only ignite a very small volume of fuel/air, it's easier for it to become quenched before starting a chain reaction. So in colder conditions, a larger minimum ignition energy is required, and piezos clearly have the lowest ignition energy of any commonly used source. It makes sense that they will crap out first.

Probably if they just put a heavier spring & striker with more mechanical energy you could get sparks large enough to reliably ignite fuel in extreme conditions, but at a cost of weight and/or bulk.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Guest2553 posted:

Family vacation this year is going to be camping stuff :toot:

Just dropped a few hundred bucks on a couple two-man tents (Half Dome for wife and baby, tarptent for me and son since he's way too wiggly for a hammock) and sleeping pads for us all. Dropping that much cash at once made me sweat a lil bit not gonna lie but being able to do outdoorsy poo poo with everyone is gonna be rad. If the loving blizzards and ice storms ever stop at least.

Nice! Half Dome is a solid tent buy! It's expensive, but it's good quality and will last. What kind of sleeping pads did you get?

Quick gear trip report for myself--Spent six days backpacking the Gems in Grand Canyon National Park from South Bass up the Boucher Trail and out Hermit. Unbelievably beautiful, but the trail is either difficult to find in places, washed out altogether along the Boucher, extremely exposed and perilous, extremely difficult, and water is very few and far between with very limited opportunities for half day scrambles down to the river every few side canyons. There's a reason most people put off that particular section of the canyon, maybe a hundred people do that stretch every year.

But anyways, gear wise, I had a cascading series of gear failures. My awesome BeFree water filter (hollow tube membrane dialysis filter, same as sawyer) clogged up drat near entirely (on clear pothole/puddle water, not the sediment heavy River water either). Problem was I let it dry out and sit all winter without bleaching it to kill off the microorganisms, which I'm assuming are what clogged it. Fortunately I was able to use iodine crystals and calcium hypochlorite tabs from other people to treat my water, so that's a great lesson to carry a chemical backup of a few tabs in my first aid kit.

I was within the one year window at REI though, so they just exchanged it for a new one when I got back thankfully.

I was also able to exchange my REI Flash sleeping pad too. It has a slow undetectable leak that left me pumping it up every 2-3 hours throughout the night. I just bought a Z-Lite accordion pad to replace it, I figure I don't want to get hosed by a leaky pad again, and I usually use hammocks anyways.

After 3 years of heavy use, my Costco carbon fiber poles finally bit the dust as well. I snagged a tip in some rocks and snapped the end, thankfully back after we were on established benched in park trails without severe exposure. Really my fault these broke, I'm just going to buy another pair for how great they've been.

My Tilly hemp hat was great for keeping the sun off, can't recommend that one highly enough. And my Lowa leather boots were absolutely life saving on the lovely loose trails with precipitous drops and climbs. Plus they kept the barbed cactus needles out of my feet. One of the other guys decided to try trail runners, and was picking needles out of the toes of his shoes and feet all week. Plus the tread was absolutely destroyed by the end of the trip, on a practically new pair of shoes.

Zpacks Arc Haul pack held up to desert abuse, cactuses, sliding around on rocks, and hauling 2.5 gallons of water plus gear every day without issue. Also flew great, I was able to stuff it in the overhead bins on even the small regional jet from Pheonix to Flagstaff. No tears, was quite durable and comfortable--A+.

I used Sawyer bags for hauling the extra water, those were awesome and held up great as well. Another guy's Camelback had a small leak so he was constantly losing water. Another sample size that camelbacks suck in my book.

Dutchware Gear has a 2.5 oz argon pillow that was awesome for the trip and on the airplane. Highly highly recommend, only 10$ for the kit to diy, or 17$ for a finished product.

Packit Gourmet trail meals were loving awesome as always. Especially the All American works burger, which only needed 2.5 freaking ounces of water to rehydrate. Very very very helpful on those dry camps. The Diner Deluxe Eggs with pork sausage are also an honorable mention, though a salsa packet in that burrito would have made them just beyond incredible. Their margherita pizza would have been amazing too, if only they included a marinara packet or something.

The other people on the trip brought esbit tablet stoves, which work and are light and cheap, but are slow, kind of smell, and difficult to light when you're camping in exposed 50-60 mile an hour winds. They wound up using my canister stove the last night since it was the only one that would stay lit.

Otherwise, I just camped out on a tyvek ground sheet (courtesy of dutchware gear, very cheap by the foot), and my 20° down quilt (Underground Quilts). That worked out great until the last night when it hit with surprise freezing precipitation, so I was pretty well hosed because I somehow neglected to pack my 1 lb bivy in my rush to get packed and left. Fortunately I found an overhang nearby to shelter with the rodent nests and hantavirus, and used my tyvek ground sheet to keep the worst of the precipitation off. Eventually it stopped and the aforementioned 50-60 mph winds dried out my bag. I think that night was solid proof that DWR down does somewhat work! I didn't die, and was able to get warm again once or twice more that night, so that's a huge success in my book.

Hope this is helpful for someone else!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

Nice! Half Dome is a solid tent buy! It's expensive, but it's good quality and will last. What kind of sleeping pads did you get?

I got the 2017 version which saved $30. My wife was originally looking at some crappy sears tents that cost just as much so I feel like we got a deal compared to that. Wife and kid got z-sol pads, and I picked up a massdrop insulated klymit v. I almost got a z-sol for myself but liked the versatility of having both since I'd like to get into cold weather camping at some point.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Packit Gourmet

Haven't heard of this brand before but those meals look baller as hell :aaaaa:

OSU_Matthew posted:

stuff broke then i almost froze

Congrats on not dying :)

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

Platystemon posted:

Changes in air pressure change the electrical properties of air. This frequently causes piezoelectric lighters to fail at high elevation.

It sparked a few times up there before stopping, then it didn't loving work at home either. I took it apart and actuated it, zapped me just fine, but in its shiny housing it wouldn't budge. Gah. Proud owner of many Bic Minis now.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Are there any downsides to getting a larger pack? I was looking at a Gregory Baltoro 65l but saw the 75l on clearance for half the price. I’m starting to get into backpacking again so this will be my first pack but eventually I will be planning on doing some week+ long trips in couple years. Difference in weight is only a few ounces.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

FCKGW posted:

Are there any downsides to getting a larger pack? I was looking at a Gregory Baltoro 65l but saw the 75l on clearance for half the price. Im starting to get into backpacking again so this will be my first pack but eventually I will be planning on doing some week+ long trips in couple years. Difference in weight is only a few ounces.

You'll have to fight the temptation to fill the extra space with stuff you don't need.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Are there any downsides to getting a larger pack? I was looking at a Gregory Baltoro 65l but saw the 75l on clearance for half the price. I’m starting to get into backpacking again so this will be my first pack but eventually I will be planning on doing some week+ long trips in couple years. Difference in weight is only a few ounces.

Larger packs may be awkward if filled to substantially less than their capacity. Especially if you use external/auxiliary storage like mesh pockets or lids on an underfillled pack. It can also be hard to distribute weight throughout the pack the way you want it, or keep frequently used items near the top of the pack, if everything is just constantly shifting around and sinking to the bottom in an oversized pack. Some packs are more versatile than others in this regard. Compression straps, extension collars, can help make a larger pack comfortable over a wider range of used volume, but only to an extent. Some models are specifically designed to be convertible between a range of volumes. In my experience, narrower and taller packs tend to be more versatile than wider and shorter packs in this regard, but can also be more unwieldy when filled to their capacity...

A smaller, narrower profile pack that hugs close to the body is often preferable and more balanced if you need to do any scrambling, or even for just walking on rougher terrain like steep scree or wobbly talus fields. Larger packs can also be problematic in "close quarters" situations like slots, narrow ledges, or dense brush, either because the sides are too wide or because when you need to turn and sidestep the pack sticks too far out from your back.

People have done week+ long trips with 40L packs, and ~50-65 is very common. I do winter overnight and 2 night trips with mountaineering gear in a ~35L pack. More than anything else, the volume you require depends on the stuff you will be bringing. Some shelters pack down way smaller than others, fleece insulation is more bulky than down or synthetic, you may or may not need a bear canister, and you may or may not want to subsist on the kind of food that can be crammed into one of the smaller models for a week long trip. Have you tried packing everything into the 65L to see how it fits? Do you plan on doing any backpacking trips in winter conditions?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Morbus posted:

Larger packs may be awkward if filled to substantially less than their capacity. Especially if you use external/auxiliary storage like mesh pockets or lids on an underfillled pack. It can also be hard to distribute weight throughout the pack the way you want it, or keep frequently used items near the top of the pack, if everything is just constantly shifting around and sinking to the bottom in an oversized pack. Some packs are more versatile than others in this regard. Compression straps, extension collars, can help make a larger pack comfortable over a wider range of used volume, but only to an extent. Some models are specifically designed to be convertible between a range of volumes. In my experience, narrower and taller packs tend to be more versatile than wider and shorter packs in this regard, but can also be more unwieldy when filled to their capacity...

A smaller, narrower profile pack that hugs close to the body is often preferable and more balanced if you need to do any scrambling, or even for just walking on rougher terrain like steep scree or wobbly talus fields. Larger packs can also be problematic in "close quarters" situations like slots, narrow ledges, or dense brush, either because the sides are too wide or because when you need to turn and sidestep the pack sticks too far out from your back.

People have done week+ long trips with 40L packs, and ~50-65 is very common. I do winter overnight and 2 night trips with mountaineering gear in a ~35L pack. More than anything else, the volume you require depends on the stuff you will be bringing. Some shelters pack down way smaller than others, fleece insulation is more bulky than down or synthetic, you may or may not need a bear canister, and you may or may not want to subsist on the kind of food that can be crammed into one of the smaller models for a week long trip. Have you tried packing everything into the 65L to see how it fits? Do you plan on doing any backpacking trips in winter conditions?

Thanks for your reply. I'm starting to transition from car camping to backpacking and still getting the gear I need. I've bought a new tent and sleeping pad but still have a regular two burner camp stove and kitchen set, stuff like that. I'm in SoCal and will be doing local hikes for now but want to start branching out into the Sierras eventually. Don't really plan on any Winter or snow trips, no.

I'm probably jumping the gun here looking at backpacks this early before I figure out the rest of my gear. Should I work on getting the rest of my gear where it needs to be before backpack shopping?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

FCKGW posted:

Thanks for your reply. I'm starting to transition from car camping to backpacking and still getting the gear I need. I've bought a new tent and sleeping pad but still have a regular two burner camp stove and kitchen set, stuff like that. I'm in SoCal and will be doing local hikes for now but want to start branching out into the Sierras eventually. Don't really plan on any Winter or snow trips, no.

I'm probably jumping the gun here looking at backpacks this early before I figure out the rest of my gear. Should I work on getting the rest of my gear where it needs to be before backpack shopping?

Nah, I'd be looking at everything now. Might as well spend a few extra bucks now and get the right gear rather than buying something and determining it's not what you need after a trip or two. I started with an external frame, moved to a 70L Osprey when I thought I needed more room, and now I'm using a Zpacks Arc Haul, which is hands down my favorite of the bunch.

Backpacks are a great place to start. That and your shelter are your most important things.

If you're just getting backpacking gear, most people tend to gravitate to lighter gear over time, so I would just skip the large Gregory and get something like a Zpacks or other lightweight pack from the get go. Similar capacity, similar price, but you save three-four pounds, which is substantial. There very few places you can make that kind of impact for that dollar amount.

I just used my ~60L Arc haul on a weeklong backpacking trip in the Grand canyon where I was carrying almost 3 gallons of water and it worked great. The mesh pockets on the back are awesome for extra gear, as well as hipbelt pockets. I really can't imagine a scenario where that size wouldn't work for any trip, I can even get my large bear vault canister on the top of the pack if need be.

Ditch the two burner stove and get a canister stove, you can find a good one for ~10-20$, and it takes up substantially less space. I use an Olicamp Ion. The MSR Pocket Rocket was the gold standard of canister stoves for a long time, most stoves are pretty similar.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'll pimp ULA packs as well. Circuit/ohm are both lightweight (sub 40 oz) internal frame 60+L bags that are fairly versatile and have good reputations. No suspension though, if you care about it, but last year's models are sub $200.

I have a circuit and while it was probably more pack than I needed, it's not unwieldy and future proofs me against longer trips/bear cans/winter camping/carrying stuff for my kid.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

FCKGW posted:

If I were getting into backpacking again and needed one pack I would probably force myself into a 60-65 liter pack at the largest. My first pack was a 75L. My second was a 60. My next pack was a 50.

Over time my gear got smaller, lighter, and I brought less of it. It might take a few shakedown trips before you get into a rhythm again and know what you like and what you need. Of course it all depends on what you plan to do. Anything longer than a week and you start carrying a lot of extra food. Anything during shoulder/winter and you start needing more warm clothing/gear, maybe ice axe and crampons etc.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

FCKGW posted:

Traditional ultralight wisdom says get your backpack last. That way you know how much stuff you are putting in it and which ones are the proper size for you.

The big four are the easiest places to get high quality lightweight items. This is where I would budget most of my $ if buying a new backpacking setup today.

Shelter
Sleeping bag / quilt
Sleeping pad
Bag

For your stove I would grab the Soto Amicus (really good in wind) or MSR PocketRocket 2. Both weigh around ~3oz and will give you many years of reliable service.

Other purchases you'll need to consider to build your backpacking setup:

Water filter (recommend Sawyer Squeeze or Katadyn BeFree)
Pot (recommend Toaks Titanium 750ml)
Spoon (Toaks long handle spoon)
Toiletries / stuff to help you poop and Leave No Trace (Deuce of Spades trowel, hand sanitizer, soap [Dr. Bronners], TP, sunscreen, bug spray, chap stick)
Pillow (Trekology inflatable)
Headlamp (Nitecore NU20)
First aid kit (ibuprofen, aspirin, immodium, benadryl, leukotape for blisters, bandages, etc...can keep this under 4oz easily)
Compass

Here's a link to my lighterpack for a checklist you can sort of glance at.

I really recommend just investing in ultralight or lightweight gear up front, rather than purchasing everything twice after you realize how much it sucks carrying an extra 10-15lb on your back. r/ultralight is a good resource.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 30, 2018

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Like everyone says, if you are just starting out transitioning from car camping to backpacking, your gear will likely shrink over time and you'll find yourself wanting less volume as you progress, not more. ~60L is probably a sweet spot for a starter pack with plenty of room for your gear and a reasonably sized bear canister, that still wont be cavernous as you move on to lower volume and less stuff. But if you can fit your current or forseeable equipment into a smaller volume (45-55L), *and* if your total packweight is under 30 lbs, you can consider getting one of the lightweight lower volume packs (like the arc blast) right off the bat. If your current packweight would be over 30 lbs or unable to fit in a 50L pack, that may be a sign that something else that can or should be upgraded from the get go.

Something else to consider about pack volume which may or may not be an issue for you, is whether or not you want to be able to take it as carry-on luggage.

I think the Osprey Exos 48 is a pretty good starter pack on the lower volume / lighter end, if you decide to go that way. They are under 2.5 lbs, can be had for ~130 bucks, and can handle not-quite-lightweight loads reasonably well. With any pack, though, how well it fits you is the most important thing, and many packs simply wont fit you perfectly.

Overall, I'd say start with a cheaper, reasonably versatile pack that fits you really really well, and once you've taken a few trips and honed the rest of your equipment you'll have a much better idea of what can be improved, if anything. When trying on packs, I'd recommend loading them up both with a "representative" load, but also a heavy load of like 50 lbs. You will (hopefully) never be carrying close to that amount, but there are lots of little problems with pack fit that may not manifest themselves for hours when carrying a 20 lbs load, that become immediately apparent with a 50 lb load. This especially goes for problems with the hip belt or shoulder straps.

Morbus fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 30, 2018

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Guest2553 posted:

I'll pimp ULA packs as well. Circuit/ohm are both lightweight (sub 40 oz) internal frame 60+L bags that are fairly versatile and have good reputations. No suspension though, if you care about it, but last year's models are sub $200.

I have a circuit and while it was probably more pack than I needed, it's not unwieldy and future proofs me against longer trips/bear cans/winter camping/carrying stuff for my kid.

Oh man, those are sweet deals! One of the guys I do a lot of trips with has a ULA pack he really loves. That Osprey exos would also be a really good option.

Nthing other gear recommendations, a long handled spoon is one of my 10 essentials. If you're looking at a sleeping pad, I just bought a new thermarest Venture on eBay for 50$ to replace an REI flash pad that died on me. Seems to be a good mix of cheap, sturdy, and comfy at the expense of five extra ounces vs inflatable pads double its price. If you're looking at bags, I'd look long and hard at a quilt instead:

http://www.hammockgear.com/burrow-econ-20/

For 160$ you can get a 20° quilt that'll be great for three seasons and weigh a lot less than a sleeping bag. Also roomier and comfier IMO.

Oh, and if you're looking at cookware, the [url="Olicamp Hard Anodized XTS Pot (1-Litre) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007OJKI2U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Wz75AbNMGWWTT"]Olicamp XTS Pot[/url] is seriously awesome, the heat find act like a windscreen and help it boil faster/save you fuel. Like a jetboil on the cheap.

I'm sure way more than you wanted to know, but it's stuff I wish I had known years ago.

Oh, and don't forget a good headlamp--the black diamond storm is awesome with green LEDs, it's about all I use at night anymore.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yo, dawg, when it comes to eating utensils, lemme drop a hot tip:

Chopsticks. Bamboo ones. The kind that are bound together at the top and you have to snap apart, and are a flattened-round, like the ones from the slightly-upscale Chinese takeout place.

Long-handled, a dime a dozen, biodegradable, and if you forgot to clean them off last time? Get out your pocket knife.

A little time with the pocketknife splitting them means they also pull double-duty as skewers if you need 'em, and you sure as heck aren't roasting marshmallows with that titanium spork of yours.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 2, 2018

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yo, dawg, when it comes to eating utensils, lemme drop a hot tip:

Chopsticks. Bamboo ones. The kind that are bound together at the top, and are a flattened-round, like the ones from the slightly-upscale Chinese takeout place.

Long-handled, a dime a dozen, biodegradable, and if you forgot to clean them off last time? Get out your pocket knife.

A little time with the pocketknife splitting them means they also pull double-duty as skewers if you need 'em, and you sure as heck aren't roasting marshmallows with that titanium spork of yours.

That's really clever! I'm going to have to try it!

My favorite utensil for eating backpacking food though, is honestly the burrito shell. All in one plate plus utensil, with zero dishes.

I'm really bummed Bakeys Edible Spoons are still impossible to come by. A friend got some from the Kickstarter and they're awesome, but still only available in limited quantities Indians.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
You guys just not carry a pair of heavy duty disposable plastic spoons? Titanium Sporks are neat and all but I’d rather have a spare or two jammed in bottom of my pack and just wash the same plastic one every day.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Heading back out this weekend and doing a first time hammock trip. Going so much lighter than last time and it feels so good.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

You guys just not carry a pair of heavy duty disposable plastic spoons? Titanium Sporks are neat and all but I’d rather have a spare or two jammed in bottom of my pack and just wash the same plastic one every day.

The disposable spoons do not reach as far into mugs, tuna foil packets, and soaking containers as long-handled titanium gimmicks. Otherwise they work fine.

To the backpack question, the advice I'd add is to get something used to start. Theoretically, the backpack is the last thing to obtain - since everything else has to fit into it. Since you are just starting out, I'd get something like the examples mentioned used so you can start and see what you like and don't like. Then invest in something more long term once the rest of your gear is dialed in. And my recommendation is one of the Gossamer Gear packs.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

bongwizzard posted:

What sweet Jones said, that extra reach is great with the long handled spoon if you do dehydrated food, makes it far easier to eat out of the bag. Plus, you know, uber titanium and all that.

It's such a little thing, but it makes a big difference.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

sweet_jones posted:

The disposable spoons do not reach as far into mugs, tuna foil packets, and soaking containers as long-handled titanium gimmicks. Otherwise they work fine.

To the backpack question, the advice I'd add is to get something used to start. Theoretically, the backpack is the last thing to obtain - since everything else has to fit into it. Since you are just starting out, I'd get something like the examples mentioned used so you can start and see what you like and don't like. Then invest in something more long term once the rest of your gear is dialed in. And my recommendation is one of the Gossamer Gear packs.

Any recommendations on a good place to find used gear? Or just craiglist/ebay?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I bought 600' of Amsteel blue and I think I have made a mistake, I should have ordered much more. Why? I don't know. It calls to me to make more things.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Any recommendations on a good place to find used gear? Or just craiglist/ebay?

Both of those, plus https://lwhiker.com/.

quote:

If you're not already familiar with, or using, lwhiker.com - it goes to various forums/communities that are lightweight backpacking, ultralight backpacking and general mountain climbing and backpacking specific, takes a look at their for sale forums and pulls in the listings to a central location that can be searched (generally) much better than the original location. (We all know how terrible forum searches typically are, that's generally due to the fact they're using mysql full-text searches, which generally, suck. lwhiker.com uses an ElasticSearch index to make the search function far more 'human friendly'.) Beyond the ability to search you can also get notifications for new threads/listings by creating an account and setting up the notifications feature. It will email you as soon as a new thread is found matching your search... example: If you set up a notification for "tarptent" you'll get an email every time someone posts a new thread/listing that contains the word tarptent. Thousands of people are doing it - why aren't you? :D

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ah cool, thanks.

I have a solo car camping trip coming up in three weeks, I think I'm going to start pairing down my stuff and just bring what I would normally bring on a backpacking trip. That should get me an idea of what kind of gear I really need and what I can do without. Once I have that figured out I'll see how much gear I really have I have and can start looking at packs. I liked the Osprey Exos and even the Volt, might look at some of those lighter packs too if I think I can swing it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

MRE spoons are long handled and fairly durable if you know someone who can hook you up. Some online retailers sell them in packs at a alright prices but then you have like 20 spoons.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

OSU_Matthew posted:

That's really clever! I'm going to have to try it!

My favorite utensil for eating backpacking food though, is honestly the burrito shell. All in one plate plus utensil, with zero dishes.

I'm really bummed Bakeys Edible Spoons are still impossible to come by. A friend got some from the Kickstarter and they're awesome, but still only available in limited quantities Indians.

Jokingly, I am immensely curious as to your ramen-eating technique with tortillas. =P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Drink all the water and then put the noodles in the tortilla like a ramen taco.

C'mon that didn't even take much creativity.