Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Shinjobi posted:

So Folding@home is just another crypto miner software now? Wow.
The Seti@home website mentions they "accept gridcoin" but it doesn't seem to be actually mining cryptocurrency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sentient Data posted:

Did you miss the article that went our earlier? Folding@home and seti replaced the new versions of their tools with altcoin miners that just give them the funds for their general budgets

I'm doing the einstein@home and World Community Grid which is run by IBM. You don't mine the cryptocoin, you just get paid crypto for processing whichever science project you choose, via the BOINC client.

Edit: not trying to convince anyone to do it. Just thought it was a more useful way to heat my basement than crypto mining.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

So bitcoin was brought up at work today and my boss couldn't understand how it wasn't something you could use to buy something or something that you bought as a part of something bigger; ie a company or product. I didn't have an answer. Now I'm confused about what bitcoin is. Help me out thread. What is bitcoin for?
number go up

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Number not allowed to go down

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/NullZeroX/status/982334650512171008

Now we know what Tether was backed with...

Risc1911 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 7, 2018

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Tether will be announcing more printing sometime in the next few days.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Waltzing Along posted:

Tether will be announcing more printing sometime in the next few days.

Of course... now it all makes sense... Tether is keeping bitcoin DOWN!!! By printing fake money and buying bitcoin with it they’re preventing Bitcoin from rising in price, and in a few months they’ll own much more bitcoin....

You can even see on the chart the times when Tether is printed the price goes down (!)

Malefic...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Has anyone said institutionalized investors yet?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Powershift posted:

Has anyone said institutionalized investors yet?

That would be crazy.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

this is good for bitcoin

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Shinjobi posted:

So Folding@home is just another crypto miner software now? Wow.

Not as far as I know, I was just busy on April fools day and felt like riling the thread up a bit

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
There are coins that pay out per folding points (Curecoin and Foldingcoin) and then there's Gridcoin which pays out for Boinc. None of them are designed well and you probably won't even make back your electricity costs with them.
There's also EVGA's folding team which pays 10 evga bucks a month which you can buy videocards with. It takes about 5 days of folding with my GTX 1070Ti.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alpha Mayo posted:

There are coins that pay out per folding points (Curecoin and Foldingcoin) and then there's Gridcoin which pays out for Boinc. None of them are designed well and you probably won't even make back your electricity costs with them.
There's also EVGA's folding team which pays 10 evga bucks a month which you can buy videocards with. It takes about 5 days of folding with my GTX 1070Ti.

You’re talking about blockchain, none of it is well-designed.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Alpha Mayo posted:

This is :techno:.

Voyager-level :techno:.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
shitcoins on the shitchain

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srq_MbsUTuM&t=48s

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
...I thought gridcoin was just a joke about someone paying their power bill

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alpha Mayo posted:

you probably won't even make back your electricity costs with them.

Of course not, it wouldn't be a sustainable donation system if they had to pay back more than they're donated. I can spend a few bucks in power costs to watch my gaming pc cure cancer. My income doesn't require me to care about returns or investments.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Sentient Data posted:

...I thought gridcoin was just a joke about someone paying their power bill

Heh

This is why you’ll never make money in crypto... you can’t see the future, like Bitcoiners...

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Heh

This is why you’ll never make money in crypto... you can’t see the future, like Bitcoiners...

Just like bitcoiners can't make money in crypto because they can't see the future of April 17th? I mean, its kind of your apocalypse.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

jonathan posted:

My income doesn't require me to care about returns or investments.

that attitude is far too healthy. it's unamerican.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/LaurentMT/status/943624312304611329

If this fragmentation is an indication of how most exchanges work then we are in for some really interesting times. Consolidating these would cost them a good chunk, not considering that fees keep going up and BTC value down.

No SegWit or LightningNetwork will change this.

Currency of the Future

PS: For those not into the crypto jargon: UTXO = An Unspent Transaction Output (UTXO) that can be spent as an input in a new transaction.

Risc1911 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 8, 2018

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Is this real? I don't mean "did this really happen," I mean "are these real words or a bunch of made-up gobblety-guk by some guy trying to be the next @dril?"

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Harveygod posted:

Is this real? I don't mean "did this really happen," I mean "are these real words or a bunch of made-up gobblety-guk by some guy trying to be the next @dril?"

I added some more info to my post. This is real and it is bad for BTC. It basically means that they have small amounts of BTC worth very little that need to be consolidated and that can only happen through the blockchain proof of work which costs fees and those fees naturally add up to a hefty sum if you have these small fragments

EXAMPLE: You have $1000 split into $0.10 chunks on 10,000 Bank accounts. You pay $0.05 per bank transfer. After consolidating all that money on one Bank account you are left with $500.

Risc1911 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 8, 2018

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I still don't get it.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I still don't get it.

EXAMPLE: You have $1000 split into $0.10 chunks on 10,000 Bank accounts. You pay $0.05 per bank transfer. After consolidating all that money on one Bank account you are left with $500.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I still don't get it.

a) World is gently caress
b) Born to die

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Except I thought you could never truly consolidate a Bitcoin. You have to keep them as penny shavings.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
It costs more to consolidate the shaving than the shaving is worth. Kind of how it costs like 6 cents for the US government to make a penny. Except in the case of coins it's because they're physical goods and cost money to make so it makes sense. There are also not that many in circulation and you're talking about 1 billionth of one percent of the total money in circulation so it's not affecting the overall economy. You also can't divide the pennies further to make the problem worse.

Having this nonsense apply to digital coins that you can split into a billion pieces is dumb as hell, because half of the bitcoin economy is going to be orphaned soon.

This is incredibly good for Bitcoin.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 8, 2018

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Risc1911 posted:

transfer fee should be closer to $1.00, and when you're done you've spent $10,000 to have $1,000

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What's happening on April 17th for crypto ? Should I buy some ?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Dead Like Rev posted:

Just like bitcoiners can't make money in crypto because they can't see the future of April 17th? I mean, its kind of your apocalypse.

My bitcoiner coworker was complaining last night about owing more in taxes than the coin is worth because it spiked right at the end of the year. Lmao

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

jonathan posted:

What's happening on April 17th for crypto ? Should I buy some ?

The tax man cometh

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

from the amber thread

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

QuarkJets posted:

from the amber thread

Is moneyness like truthiness?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Rad Russian posted:

It costs more to consolidate the shaving than the shaving is worth. Kind of how it costs like 6 cents for the US government to make a penny. Except in the case of coins it's because they're physical goods and cost money to make so it makes sense. There are also not that many in circulation and you're talking about 1 billionth of one percent of the total money in circulation so it's not affecting the overall economy. You also can't divide the pennies further to make the problem worse.

Having this nonsense apply to digital coins that you can split into a billion pieces is dumb as hell, because half of the bitcoin economy is going to be orphaned soon.

This is incredibly good for Bitcoin.
also a penny is actually used as a currency

a penny could conceivably used in thousands of transactions over its lifetime

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
imagine a penny but every time you spent it somebody filed the edges down a bit and pocketed the shavings and that's a bitcoin

actually this used to happen all the times with currency which is why the edges of canadian dimes for instance have nibs that would make it very noticeable if they got shaved off

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

jonathan posted:

Of course not, it wouldn't be a sustainable donation system if they had to pay back more than they're donated. I can spend a few bucks in power costs to watch my gaming pc cure cancer. My income doesn't require me to care about returns or investments.

My income is low. What should I do

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Odd posted:

My income is low. What should I do

buy a lot of candles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odd
Dec 30, 2006