Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
The BV in Centralia was my go-to stop on the way to Portland. Now why even set out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

George posted:

The BV in Centralia was my go-to stop on the way to Portland. Now why even set out?

Pacific Northwest Thread: Why even set out?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The mayor of Portland wants more cops http://www.koin.com/news/civic-affairs/wheeler-to-portlanders-lobby-for-more-cops/1105285399

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

George posted:

loving rosemary fries man the centralia one is the closest to me hopefully they unionize in time for rosemary fries

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I didn't get my usual rosemary fries this latest Portland trip for that reason, but they're happening when I'm back in a couple weeks whether they sort their poo poo out by then or not.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Javid posted:

I didn't get my usual rosemary fries this latest Portland trip for that reason, but they're happening when I'm back in a couple weeks whether they sort their poo poo out by then or not.

good to know that the pro-labor stuff you posted ITT goes out the window when you want literal fast food french fries

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

This went exactly as expected

https://twitter.com/pdx_resistance/status/982863406502834176?s=21

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/983127134645334016

Also in that article, quoted in the tweet, is a link to a second video obtained by the Oregonian

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 9, 2018

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

A reminder that did the officer comply with his/her training when X happens is often a big deal with regards to did they get punished. When the training is poo poo awful the department needs to be sued over it.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

quote:

Pickering and two others described the man as erratic and shouting, slashing and stabbing himself with a knife. They said police fired either rubber bullets or bean bags, but they didn't subdue the man, who then lunged at officers with the knife in his hand.
:thunk:
did we watch the same video, or are they implying that this was before they shot him for realsies?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/wweek/status/983504081917390849

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I can't blame them for not wanting to expose an individual over what is a departmental problem.

I would rather that leadership face the music and tell us what will be different with this administration.

Hopefully the fed gently caress them up over the lack of significant change and the fact that the actions in this case went against the feds previous findings.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

porkface posted:

I would rather that leadership face the music and tell us what will be different with this administration.

Hopefully the fed gently caress them up over the lack of significant change and the fact that the actions in this case went against the feds previous findings.

[narrator voice] they never did and never would

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

porkface posted:

I can't blame them for not wanting to expose an individual over what is a departmental problem.

I don't blame you for not watching any of the videos, but this officer-involved shooting involved multiple individual police officers.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

porkface posted:

ah yes those poor cops whose trigger fingers reflectively jerked as a result of departmental issues

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

If they're concerned about the safety of the police maybe they shouldn't let them fire their guns without consequence, people are pissed because they think that mob justice is the only kind left.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

ah yes those poor cops whose trigger fingers reflectively jerked as a result of departmental issues

They're trained to do what they did. They're scumbags, but I don't blame the department for realizing they didn't go rogue.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

porkface posted:

They're trained to do what they did.

so, in summary, ACAB

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

porkface posted:

They're trained to do what they did.

would you say they were just following orders

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Reene posted:

would you say they were just following orders

Don't cut yourself on that edge there. Just because these cops are responsible for the death of this man doesn't mean there aren't also systemic issues to address as well.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Don't cut yourself on that edge there. Just because these cops are responsible for the death of this man doesn't mean there aren't also systemic issues to address as well.

Exactly. These issues are real - and I think they're even relevant to consider as mitigating factors in the hypothetical scenario where a killer cop was being sentenced after actually somehow being convicted of murder. Hopefully, in that scenario, the leadership who established the training and policy would also be getting hefty sentences.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

To be fair, people are complaining about crowding so Ted just wants to cull the population a little bit.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
The individuals should be held accountable but not in lieu of departmental accountability.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
update: https://twitter.com/wweek/status/983796761176064000

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I regret to inform you that the cops are good, now, actually,

https://twitter.com/katemshepherd/status/983867150451404800

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Nobody said there aren't systemic issues to address, but rather the opposite. We're just also saying "but they were trained to do it that way" does not in any way free them from culpability for a man's death.

fake edit: yes, even if the man was a neonazi

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

anthonypants posted:

The fabled Reverse Milkshake Duck

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

dont even fink about it posted:

The fabled Reverse Milkshake Duck

:captainpop:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

anthonypants posted:

Two wrongs don't make a right, and all that.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
nobody should die at the hands of police :shobon:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

anthonypants posted:

Hmm... I'm gonna call this one a wash.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

nobody should die at the hands of police :shobon:
Before anyone takes my post too seriously, this is absolutely the correct message. Furthermore, the "he was no angel" style of reporting on police violence is a tool which allows the reader to distance themselves from the victim and portray them as an Other, who deservedly met justice at the hands of a police officer. In some cases, it's a non-white kid with weed; in comfortable, liberal Portland, we're so progressive that it can be a poor white man. It's also kinda difficult to fault a homeless white man for becoming a victim of reactionary right-wing rhetoric. No one else is going to reach out to him.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Not to mention in prison I have no idea what I would do to survive and get by.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Besides, you’re supposed to at least punch Nazis first.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.b3de2ebd7d8b

Jesus Christ. I just heard about the Devonte Hart family murder/suicide. These guardians were monstrous. This poo poo is horrifying and every other article I read about this situation reveals another layer of terror. This is probably going to keep me awake tonight.

e: In case it's not clear I posted in this thread because they apparently lived in Woodland, Washington. Washington State CPS had them flagged.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 11, 2018

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

anthonypants posted:

Before anyone takes my post too seriously, this is absolutely the correct message.

ty for clarifying. I knew you were joking but tbh at this point I don't even know if this is a subject i'm comfortable making jokes about anymore

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
also i'd loooove to know what he got locked up for in the first place.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Doesn’t matter at all, the guy could have been a child murderer but the cops didn’t know poo poo. They murdered a guy and now the media is justifying it for them. gently caress the police.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Improper zoning, failure to obtain building permits, you know, the usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

DrNutt posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.b3de2ebd7d8b

Jesus Christ. I just heard about the Devonte Hart family murder/suicide. These guardians were monstrous. This poo poo is horrifying and every other article I read about this situation reveals another layer of terror. This is probably going to keep me awake tonight.

e: In case it's not clear I posted in this thread because they apparently lived in Woodland, Washington. Washington State CPS had them flagged.

gently caress. gently caress. gently caress.

So like 5 years ago I was in Seaside OR in a restaurant and this huge group came in. A white woman and like 7-8 black kids. The woman was being an absolute piece of poo poo to the youngest girl. Like bullying her over not watching the youngest buy. Bitched at her because the youngest knocked over a drink. etc. I saw the subtle wrist pinch happen.

I grew up being abused and these were the only outward signs the public ever saw. I wanted to walk over there and do something. My husband actually just kept holding my hand because I was tearing up and when we finally left i burst into tears in the car. There was nothing actionable that that lady did but I knew.