Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Odd posted:

My income is low. What should I do

make more money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Risc1911 posted:

I added some more info to my post. This is real and it is bad for BTC. It basically means that they have small amounts of BTC worth very little that need to be consolidated and that can only happen through the blockchain proof of work which costs fees and those fees naturally add up to a hefty sum if you have these small fragments

EXAMPLE: You have $1000 split into $0.10 chunks on 10,000 Bank accounts. You pay $0.05 per bank transfer. After consolidating all that money on one Bank account you are left with $500.

See, that’s where you go wrong - this is GOOD for bitcoin

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

The best long term growth I’ve seen have been made in cults.

I observed this from afar with Apple. And that is just one of the more popular ones.

SpaceX, Zappos, TED, Starbucks, IKEA, Dollar Shave Club, etc.

Up close, I saw it in action at Amazon.

You cannot pay the best people to work for you. They need a mission to believe in.

Here’s a Story about Steve Case of AOL.

Bill Gates wanted to buy AOL from him.

He could’ve sold the business for a 100, 200 million dollars.

For me, I would’ve taken the money in a heartbeat.

But Steve didn’t sell out.

Why did he say no to being a multi-millionaire?

His answer:

“The simple answer is I really believed in the idea of the internet and believed in AOL and believed that it could change the world,” he said on James Altucher’s podcast.

At that time; Investors were like:

“What are you talking about? This internet thing? Why would normal people ever want to get connected to this?”

People thought he was crazy. But he could see the future.

That’s the thing about the future.

Nobody with eyes could see it coming. Steve had Vision.

Back then, nobody wanted to connect to the internet.

It was too techie and too difficult.

My mother didn’t learn how to send an email until Steve Jobs invented the iPhone where you can send an email with a swoosh.

That was DECADES after the invention of the internet.

People like that missed opportunities.

For Steve Case, he was more fervent than ever.

He struggled hard for a decade before it finally broke through for him.

The future paid off for Steve Case.

He believed they could change the world.

He was right. “Six, seven years later, [AOL] had gone from a few hundred million dollars to tens of billions to then over 150, 160 billion.”

But it doesn’t stop there…

We’re seeing this with another group of zealots.

And this time it isn’t restricted by borders. Every single one of you can participate even if you’re in the far-flung corners of the globe.

This isn’t only reserved for the elites.

It is the only Global Monetary value accepted in every continent. Yes even in Antarctica.

Bitcoin soothsayers are proclaiming that the virtual currency is going to Change Everything.

For 10 years now Bitcoin has constantly been underestimated, ‘Experts” have pronounced its death 273 times.

But it just doesn’t want to stay dead.

Even Zombies Die for good if you put a bullet to its head.

This is more than just a Zombie Currency. It is something else.

You’ve probably heard about the bankruptcy of Mt. Gox, Bitcoin’s largest trading floor being wiped out by a $500 million heist.

But even before that, the arrest of Bitcoin prodigy Charlie Shrem; Shutdowns of Silk Road and Utopia.

Like how dominoes fall, it was an infectious chain of negative reaction.

It was so bad that every “expert” who had air time and ad space at that time were saying & inserting these THREE WORDS: “Bitcoin Is Dead.”

Many were calling their friends Looney for falling under the Bitcoin spell …

However, something weird happened that most didn’t expect.

As bitcoin stumbles, the community growing up around it only became more fervent.

Call-to-arms were written , thought-leaders were giving military speeches and fellow adherents were called “Brothers”.

The mass adoption of Bitcoin, they say, would utterly transform the way the world stores and exchanges value.

Government-backed fiat currency would become obsolete.

To them holding a Bitcoin makes them an active participant in a bold new future.

They believe it could change the World. They’re not worried about the day-to-day price fluctuations of BTC denominated in USD.

They believe in a day where all prices will be denominated in Satoshis (fractions of a bitcoin)

They have No intention of selling the future for the past.

With each setback, the ones that remain only grow more convinced, more zealous and more eager to share the bright future of Bitcoin.

Cults like these run on the fuels of perseverance and will only grow stronger with time.

With the network effect of Bitcoin, it will only lock more and more people in, in each new wave cycle.

Will you surf this wave with us?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

They believe in a day where all prices will be denominated in Satoshis (fractions of a bitcoin)
The original Satoshi will be preserved in formaldehyde as a reference.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

SelenicMartian posted:

The original Satoshi will be preserved in formaldehyde as a reference.

What about his teeth? If they keep growing we can defraud the tooth fairy by chipping parts for quarters! Toothcoin ico coming as quick as I can mumble out a white paper!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

I observed this from afar with Apple. And that is just one of the more popular ones.

You cannot pay the best people to work for you. They need a mission to believe in.

His answer:

“The simple answer is I really believed in the idea of the internet and believed in AOL and believed that it could change the world,” he said on James Altucher’s podcast.

“What are you talking about? This internet thing? Why would normal people ever want to get connected to this?”

My mother didn’t learn how to send an email until Steve Jobs invented the iPhone where you can send an email with a swoosh.

He was right. “Six, seven years later, [AOL] had gone from a few hundred million dollars to tens of billions to then over 150, 160 billion.”

And this time it isn’t restricted by borders. Every single one of you can participate even if you’re in the far-flung corners of the globe.

It is the only Global Monetary value accepted in every continent. Yes even in Antarctica.

Bitcoin soothsayers are proclaiming that the virtual currency is going to Change Everything.

For 10 years now Bitcoin has constantly been underestimated, ‘Experts” have pronounced its death 273 times.

You’ve probably heard about the bankruptcy of Mt. Gox, Bitcoin’s largest trading floor being wiped out by a $500 million heist.

But even before that, the arrest of Bitcoin prodigy Charlie Shrem; Shutdowns of Silk Road and Utopia.

It was so bad that every “expert” who had air time and ad space at that time were saying & inserting these THREE WORDS: “Bitcoin Is Dead.”

As bitcoin stumbles, the community growing up around it only became more fervent.

Call-to-arms were written , thought-leaders were giving military speeches and fellow adherents were called “Brothers”.

The mass adoption of Bitcoin, they say, would utterly transform the way the world stores and exchanges value.

To them holding a Bitcoin makes them an active participant in a bold new future.

They believe it could change the World. They’re not worried about the day-to-day price fluctuations of BTC denominated in USD.

With each setback, the ones that remain only grow more convinced, more zealous and more eager to share the bright future of Bitcoin.

Cults like these run on the fuels of perseverance and will only grow stronger with time.

With the network effect of Bitcoin, it will only lock more and more people in, in each new wave cycle.

I'm not reading this batshit lol

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Consider also that.

Many cults.

End up.

Cutting off they dicks and eating death pudding.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

His answer:

Your putting way too much effort into this

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Odd posted:

My income is low. What should I do

This depends. Are you low income but working lots of hours ? If so that's a huge issue. If you're low income but have a lot of time away from work, this can be a blessing as you can use your spare time for enjoyment or to further your professional value.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Steve Case ended up posing for playboy and marrying John Romero.

HODL and you too can have a husband with longer hair than you.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Risc1911 posted:

https://twitter.com/LaurentMT/status/943624312304611329

If this fragmentation is an indication of how most exchanges work then we are in for some really interesting times. Consolidating these would cost them a good chunk, not considering that fees keep going up and BTC value down.

No SegWit or LightningNetwork will change this.

Currency of the Future

PS: For those not into the crypto jargon: UTXO = An Unspent Transaction Output (UTXO) that can be spent as an input in a new transaction.
This is good for Bitcoin because it encourages you to hodl.

Nessus posted:

Consider also that.

Many cults.

End up.

Cutting off they dicks and eating death pudding.
Sounds like I can't lose.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/squawkfox/status/982662458010685440?s=20

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

that's not the good one. this is the good one.

oh it was already posted

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Tatoos make something be money?

What's the USD exchange rate on Bulbasaur/Team Rocket Lady tenticle-hentai?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Too lazy to do the Rick and Morty meme, but Bitcoin just seems like a Ponzi scheme with extra steps.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Nocheez posted:

Too lazy to do the Rick and Morty meme, but Bitcoin just seems like a Ponzi scheme with extra steps.

Now you tell me

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

sword_man.gif posted:

that's not the good one. this is the good one.

oh it was already posted

Not a cult

Bitcoin didn't tap

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Nocheez posted:

eep barba durkle :rolleyes:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Nocheez posted:

1₿ = 0₿ ?

Did I do this right?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Nocheez posted:

Not a surprise a Rick & Morty fan doesn’t get Bitcoin... 🙄

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Who said I was a fan?

I mean, I am, but who said it?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

jonathan posted:

This depends. Are you low income but working lots of hours ? If so that's a huge issue. If you're low income but have a lot of time away from work, this can be a blessing as you can use your spare time for enjoyment or to further your professional value.
Is there a way I can perform brain surgery so I only derive enjoyment from generating value for international corporations? Can I pay for it with bitcoins?

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

His answer:

p good motley fool imitation imo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Harveygod posted:

Tatoos make something be money?

What's the USD exchange rate on Bulbasaur/Team Rocket Lady tenticle-hentai?

Isn't the real analogy is that both bitcoins and necks tattoos lead to buyers remorse?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

To ask to meet in the middle of a bid and offer, one party might say “Benji me” - referencing short story and movie character Benjamin Button who ages backwards and is the same age as his wife mid-life. Less romantically, traders sometimes say “butt” to mean bitcoin.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-crypto-currencies-otc/otc-crypto-market-flourishes-powered-by-skype-idUSKCN1H91P4

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Americans Owe Roughly $25 Billion in Taxable Capital Gains
Lee’s estimates stem from the record $590 billion cryptocurrency market valuation accumulated last year, which was 60 times larger than the year before. The Fundstrat advisor states that roughly 30 percent of the digital asset holders worldwide are Americans, and this means a representation of approximately $187 billion. Lee believes that the capital gains in the U.S. adds up to around $92Bn and there’s $25Bn in taxable liabilities on the line.

https://news.bitcoin.com/tax-paying-americans-owe-25-billion-in-cryptocurrency/

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

just a reminder that GDP is such a distorted and intentionally deceptive metric that bitcoin activity, taxation, and energy usage will be counted as part of the national GDP

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

traders sometimes say “butt” to mean bitcoin.

our job here is done, be proud lads

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

You have to have high iq to get bitcoin

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Alan Smithee posted:

You have to have be high iq to get bitcoin

FTFY

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Alan Smithee posted:

You have to have suffered from brain damage due to sleeping in a room with high iq temperature to get bitcoin

I miss that story.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

We gotta get more strawberries morty

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It was funny when it was random weirdos running a bunch of video cards, but now it's maybe your next door neighbor swapped out their 15 amp breaker for a 30 because their 14 chinese video cards kept tripping it and maybe you're both going to burn to death in your sleep.

It's also your power bill going up due to increased demand across the board because miners are using more electricity than most countries do.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Powershift posted:

The current hash rate is around 25,000,000,000 gh/s

The most modern piece of hardware, the bitmain S9 runs at 14,000 gh/s and uses 1340 watts

That means that even if every piece of hardware on the network was this most efficient unit, it would still be 1,785,714 pieces of hardware consuming 2,392,856 kilowatts, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

That's 57,438,562 kilowatts per day. There were 188,000 transactions in the last 24 hours. That means if every unit on the network was this most efficient box, each transaction would have used 305kwh

People are still running older hardware, too. That number could realistically be more than double.

Funny story, since i did this math, the hashrate has increased by nearly 20%, Transactions per day has fallen nearly 30%

Bitcoin alone is now using At the very very least 2,727,857 kw, or 65,468,570 KWH per day to process 138,530 transactions, meaning each transaction uses at least 473 watts. Realistically, that number is doubled by older hardware on the network, and ancillary equipment in these server farms.

It is very likely that right now each bitcoin transaction uses more electricity than an average American household does in a month. Every day, it uses as much electricity as 138,530 american households That is Tampa's monthly residential power usage every day. Houston every week. 50% of US residential power usage every year.

This should be headline news, in big red letters on the top of CNN.

This is bitcoin alone. ETH and Monero probably use as much if not more.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Alan Smithee posted:

We gotta get more strawberries morty

I need you to take these coins and stuff them way up in your butt!

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Powershift posted:

Funny story, since i did this math, the hashrate has increased by nearly 20%, Transactions per day has fallen nearly 30%

Bitcoin alone is now using At the very very least 2,727,857 kw, or 65,468,570 KWH per day to process 138,530 transactions, meaning each transaction uses at least 473 watts. Realistically, that number is doubled by older hardware on the network, and ancillary equipment in these server farms.

It is very likely that right now each bitcoin transaction uses more electricity than an average American household does in a month. Every day, it uses as much electricity as 138,530 american households That is Tampa's monthly residential power usage every day. Houston every week. 50% of US residential power usage every year.

In my country the media have more or less stopped reporting on crypto, because the obvious angles have been covered at this point. It’s probably a net gain as it attracts fewer random people who only hear the part of the broadcast about the number going up.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Refried Noodle posted:

In my country the media have more or less stopped reporting on crypto, because the obvious angles have been covered at this point. It’s probably a net gain as it attracts fewer random people who only hear the part of the broadcast about the number going up.

yep. Number go down => not a story.

A bit of blockchain hype => slightly a story.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Powershift posted:

that number might be much worse when you factor in students mining at their school computer lab, botnets, newspapers running cryptomining malware on their readers, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009
Years ago I thought this was going to be a relatively quick meet-bang-thank you ma'am. I had no idea this kinky bitch would go all the way to 20k, and along the way the tricks she pulled are so hosed up you wouldn't even find them in the seediest Bangkok brothel - insider trading, ponzis within ponzis, mining induced brain damage, the bitconnect guy ... the list just goes on and on... not to mention the dirty talk - 'number go up', 'HODL', she just invents words left and right and shouts them at the stars. After initially being hard as a rock waiting for a quick crash I thought maybe I was being blueballed - but no, everytime my dick even thinks of flagging she comes back with another 5% drop inside a couple of minutes and I'm diamonds. It's a wild ride, and I expect it to continue for a while yet, but when the end comes... it's going to be goddamned buckets.