Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

Harold McNeill showed up to GP Seattle to sign copies of Invoke Prejudice and got kicked out.

Please tell me this is not a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Elyv posted:

Early templating was so sloppy. Compare these two cards from Alpha

totally reasonable to think they had different effects, so they decided to clear it up in Revised

lol

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Wrong kind of wizards

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

Nantuko Shade must’ve been a mindblowing card back in the day

It was, I remember a guy I played with in high school somehow getting hold of a signed copy of it and it was the dopest poo poo ever. Simpler times!

E: PYF prized Magic card(s) from back in the day that aren't worth poo poo now. Mine was the playset of Goblin Piledriver that I picked up during ONS block, including one in Japanese (which I still have!).

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 8, 2018

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

C-Euro posted:

E: PYF prized Magic card(s) from back in the day that aren't worth poo poo now.

Shivan Dragon.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

fadam posted:

What did you guys add to the Vampire deck in MTGA to make it better?

The 2BB guy who drains for 1 when a vampire attacks, adanto vanguard, Bishop of binding, the 1W 3/3 who only untaps when you gain life all did me pretty solid after making the BW anthem vamp a four of. The last one was the only card that didn't wow me

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

C-Euro posted:

My revised edition Fork was my prized possession back in 6th grade.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Vampire Bats was the card that I beat my dad with for the first time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

C-Euro posted:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Toshimo posted:

P O S T D E C K L I S T

Deck: Jace, The Austerity Mind Mage

//Lands
8 Forest
8 Island
2 Unclaimed Territory
4 Woodland Stream

//Spells
4 Castaway's Despair
3 Deeproot Waters
2 Grasping Current
1 Jace, Ingenious Mind-Mage
4 River Heralds' Boon

//Creatures
4 Deeproot Elite
2 Herald of Secret Streams
4 Jade Bearer
3 Jade Guardian
1 Kopala, Warden of Waves
4 Merfolk Mistbinder
2 Tempest Caller
4 Vineshaper Mystic

//Sideboard
4 Appetite for the Unnatural
4 Plummet

Display deck statistics

Oddly, it gets a fair share of people conceding against it before Turn 5, but other than that it's just a matter of how long it takes to lose.

I've also been experimenting with this:\
http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=14396&writer=Corbin+Hosler&articledate=1-16-2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Why aren’t you running the 1 mana 2/2 merfolk?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Castaway's Despair has got to be worse than Waterknot even in a two-color deck, right?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why aren’t you running the 1 mana 2/2 merfolk?

I lust for +1/+1 tokens.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Entropic posted:

Castaway's Despair has got to be worse than Waterknot even in a two-color deck, right?

That explains the puzzled looks I got when I cast it at the store championship on Saturday. This started as a PW deck I bought on a whim two weeks ago. It came with 4 of them.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

That explains the puzzled looks I got when I cast it at the store championship on Saturday. This started as a PW deck I bought on a whim two weeks ago. It came with 4 of them.

The puzzled looks are because that card is only in the pre-con decks, not in packs, but still technically standard legal, so a lot of people will have never seen the card before.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
MTGO is a quality program

https://twitter.com/saffronolive/status/983077298181165056

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Planeswalker decks are designed to be completely unplayable at a competitive level. That may explain why you are having trouble.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

this rules

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I lust for +1/+1 tokens.

Play bad cards, win bad prizes then, I guess :shrug:

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it

Tonetta posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvzhSvEsmZA

the community never ceases to amaze me

An interesting point was brought up at the beginning of this video. It's against the rules to receive outside assistance under any REL, yet popular streamers receive comments from hundreds of viewers throughout their matches. From a practical perspective, obviously most of the comments are poo poo or unrelated - however it isn't unreasonable to imagine a player could receive valuable insights from a few comments. Who cares if it's a league, but it's kind of bullshit in a PTQ etc.

As far as ghosting, I probably wouldn't do it unless I really hated the streamer or a butt load of money was on the line.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

fadam posted:

What did you guys add to the Vampire deck in MTGA to make it better?

Can't remember what the default precon is, but I would aim at a low-rare, token focused core of something like this, culling out the worse cards of similar cc or role:

4 Martyr of Dusk (C)
4 Dusk Legion Zealot (C)
4 Legion Lieutenant (U)

4 Queen's Commission (C)
4 Radian Destiny (R)

3-4 Cast Out (U)

Cast Outs honestly can be Ixalan's Bindings or like if you have more important uncommons to craft. Instant speed, exiling, W cost compared to something like Vraska's Contempt's BB, being able to cycle just makes it the best big target removal option.

The remaining ~13 slots really depend on how you want the deck to lean. If you want to go aggressive you fill 1cc slot with things like Skymarcher Aspirant, maybe Duskborne Skymarchers, have Adanto Vanguards at 2cc, top of at 4cc with Sanctum Seekers, and the +1/+1 deserts.

If you want a bit more midrange build you are more likely to want Legion's Landings to start with (I'd honestly play some in even more aggressive deck I guess), more token generation from Call to the Feasts, Champions of Dusk at the top to refill, play a more even split of -1/-1 counter and +1/+1 pump deserts.

I feel a problem in the deck honestly is (until Dominaria) in the mana - compared to Standard BW builds you are lacking the set of best duals for the deck in Arena, while leaning on white cards early but really wanting double black for your impact rares. It's an issue for any enemy colour deck honestly in Arena without Kaladesh, and unlike the UG Merfolk decks which play few if any non-creature spells, the "tribal dual" of Unclaimed Territory is not necessarily a 4-of solution and for an aggro 4-of tap dual will bite your curve at times.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

C-Euro posted:

E: PYF prized Magic card(s) from back in the day that aren't worth poo poo now. Mine was the playset of Goblin Piledriver that I picked up during ONS block, including one in Japanese (which I still have!).

A set of Japanese foil Orim's Chants.

e: or maybe the Japanese misprint Cursed Scroll or set of matching miscut AKs

KenBearlLOLOL fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 8, 2018

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Play bad cards, win bad prizes then, I guess :shrug:

What should I take out to add them?

E: I'm swapping the 2 Herald of Secret Streams for 2 more Tempest Callers, would have won my last game with that change.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

poo poo is weak posted:

An interesting point was brought up at the beginning of this video. It's against the rules to receive outside assistance under any REL, yet popular streamers receive comments from hundreds of viewers throughout their matches. From a practical perspective, obviously most of the comments are poo poo or unrelated - however it isn't unreasonable to imagine a player could receive valuable insights from a few comments. Who cares if it's a league, but it's kind of bullshit in a PTQ etc.

As far as ghosting, I probably wouldn't do it unless I really hated the streamer or a butt load of money was on the line.

Please read Twitch chat again and tell me how much outside assistance it really is. Especially with the 20ish second delay Twitch has built in for some reason.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

E: I'm swapping the 2 Herald of Secret Streams for 2 more Tempest Callers, would have won my last game with that change.

Couple of Jade Bearers, probably, are there no other good turn 1 drops for your aggressive deck?

E: you should put multiple of that explore Merfolk in your deck as well, the 2/1 for 2 one

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

The 'default' Merfolk package is something like

4 Kumena's Speaker
4 Mist-Cloaked Herald or Jade Bearer
4 Deeproot Elite
4 Merfolk Branchwalker
4 Merfolk Mistbinder
4 Silvergill Adept
4 Kumena, Tyrant of Orazca

With 4 Deeproot Waters and a few flex slots. You don't actually need any removal beyond some Unsummons since the game plan is to just overwhelm your opponent with value.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Planeswalker decks are designed to be completely unplayable at a competitive level. That may explain why you are having trouble.

Serious question, why do they exist?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

They're the "learn to play Magic" product, primarily. You and a friend get the pair, then play against each other while reading the rules insert. It lets you learn the basics as well as the current mechanics for if you go along to FNM for draft or w/e.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Easy access to shiny Planeswalkers for new players

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Easy way to just buy a ready-made deck for a kid or whatever

Lots of people are just kitchen table players and never set foot in a game store

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

For new players. They're designed to be mostly noncompetitive so competitive players don't buy them and new players can get their hands on them.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Good question

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

They serve as learning aids for new players. If I remember correctly part of the reason the Intro decks were replaced with the Planeswalker decks was because newer players had trouble understanding Planeswalker cards due to their rarity and cost preventing them from playing with them. The decks create a supply of cheap low power Planeswalker cards for those players to play with and familiarize themselves with the mechanics of the card type.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Which are more cringeworthy: Jeopardy contestant interviews or SCG Open player profile facts?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Couple of Jade Bearers, probably, are there no other good turn 1 drops for your aggressive deck?

E: you should put multiple of that explore Merfolk in your deck as well, the 2/1 for 2 one

Is it fair to say I've built a deck that isn't aggressive enough to aggro, and not midrange enough to survive?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

An intro to building decks around a theme. Or just something for first timers to get a grip on the game, and play with their MTG playing friends.

They switched the model recently to make Planeswalkers the central focus, both because they're flashy rare cards, and to promote their brand characters.

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it

suicidesteve posted:

Please read Twitch chat again and tell me how much outside assistance it really is. Especially with the 20ish second delay Twitch has built in for some reason.

I wasn't referring to that specific brief clip, but just in general.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Star Man posted:

Which are more cringeworthy: Jeopardy contestant interviews or SCG Open player profile facts?

Star Man comedy internet forum posts.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Toshimo posted:

Star Man comedy internet forum posts.

Besides that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Is it fair to say I've built a deck that isn't aggressive enough to aggro, and not midrange enough to survive?

This is exactly it, and Merfolk doesn’t really want to go in the midrange direction because it doesn’t really have the cards to play that game.

E: Luckily Merfolk looks to be getting some very strong support in the next set

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 8, 2018