Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Also, the Kree later took Midnight, transformed him from an African ninja to an African cyborg space ninja, glued mirrors to his hands, and sent him to fight the Silver Surfer. That didn't go very well, but at least he got to wear a fedora in space.

Totally forgot about this. I thought he looked so cool at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hadji murad posted:

Totally forgot about this. I thought he looked so cool at the time.

:same:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is that the Midnight that partnered with Moon Knight and then became a villain who fought Spider-Man and a bunch of other heroes by himself after getting augmentations?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is that the Midnight that partnered with Moon Knight and then became a villain who fought Spider-Man and a bunch of other heroes by himself after getting augmentations?

Different guy. Being rebuilt by the Secret Empire and not the Kree Empire, the Moon Knight fella had a comparatively boring existence compared to this guy.

I guess that you really shouldn't call yourself Midnight if you're a Marvel character unless you want to get rebuilt by an evil empire.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/anthonypants/status/980529325861519361

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
What's up with this pelican in All New Wolverine?

Also, anyone know what a #25 with chicken is?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Beachcomber posted:

Also, anyone know what a #25 with chicken is?
Many Chinese delivery/takeout restaurants in America have menus with a lengthy list of items sorted by number so that the yekubian customer base can say "a #25 with chicken" instead of having to risk the shame of mispronouncing "moo goo gai pan," "lo mein" or "fried chicken wings."

I have no explanation for the pelican.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Beachcomber posted:

What's up with this pelican in All New Wolverine?

Home is where your pelican statue is.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

The Pelican’s name is Penagos.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

IIRC that's the one where Hawkeye saves the day with an old carny trick?

*follows link*

Yep! That was one of my first favorites too, brilliant story.

Tom DeFalco stole that ending from an earlier Grandmaster story in Giant-Size Defenders #3. There, Daredevil saves the day by challenging Grandmaster to a double or nothing bet based on a coin toss, and then rigs the coin toss by using his super-senses to feel how he has to flip the coin to produce the result that he needs. And then the Grandmaster just decides to honor the bet and fucks off instead of conquering Earth. Also, there's an art mistake that makes it look like Daredevil announces the result of the coin toss wrong, making the ending even more dumb than it already is.

(The Grandmaster honoring the bet he makes with Daredevil could arguably be in character for him, except the only reason that the bet happens at all is that Grandmaster betrays an agreement he makes with the Defenders not to try to conquer Earth when they sign on to play in his game to begin with.)

As much as I like Steve Gerber's Defenders run, that's probably the worst Defenders story he ever wrote. DeFalco's ending makes much more sense. I really liked those Avengers annuals too.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Edge & Christian posted:

I wrote about that two-parter, it was my first favorite comic! The best/dumbest part about it is when the Avengers all drop dead in the middle of a softball game and somehow the West Coast Avengers are convinced by the Collector to drink poison so they can save their friends from Death.

And the Collector was like "hey Firebird you drank the poison and aren't dead? Guess you are double super immortal now.
Good luck squaring that with the tenants of your Catholic faith."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Question IRL posted:

the tenants of your Catholic faith

For all of us who are gathered here in faith, that we may be together with all of our loved ones again in Renter's Paradise, we pray to the landlord. (Landlord, hear our prayer).

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

And the Collector was like "hey Firebird you drank the poison and aren't dead? Guess you are double super immortal now.
Good luck squaring that with the tenants of your Catholic faith."

So I guess Englehart was doing some more Mantis-style pet character mystery there. Did it ever pay off? I've never read his whole run on West Coast Avengers.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I will never tire of seeing people's first exposure to the weirdness that is Dave Simm.

From a while back but I'm a bad comic book reader and I'd not heard of Dave Sim. Taking a look at his wiki entry and these two sentences

quote:

Sim's beliefs are based on the premise that conflicts in scripture are the result of an ongoing argument between the true male God and Yoowhoo, a false female God.[43]

quote:

Sim's letter ended with an ultimatum, requesting that those who wished to receive his return correspondence reply with a letter or online posting and the statement, "I do not believe Dave Sim is a misogynist."

:allears: Never before have two sentences told me so much about a person.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bessantj posted:

From a while back but I'm a bad comic book reader and I'd not heard of Dave Sim. Taking a look at his wiki entry and these two sentences

:allears: Never before have two sentences told me so much about a person.

He's a crazy man now, but he created some genuinely high-quality stuff before his mind melted completely. Like Frank Miller. :smith:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

prefect posted:

He's a crazy man now, but he created some genuinely high-quality stuff before his mind melted completely. Like Frank Miller. :smith:

It is a problem when bad people create really good stuff.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bessantj posted:

It is a problem when bad people create really good stuff.

Nah, everybody is bad in one way or another. Or many. You can't demand perfection from everyone, or else you'll never be able to enjoy anything. The best you can do is be aware of the badness, and not pretend that it doesn't exist.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not really that good, you're not missing out if you just don't read the crazy man's stuff.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

prefect posted:

Nah, everybody is bad in one way or another. Or many. You can't demand perfection from everyone, or else you'll never be able to enjoy anything. The best you can do is be aware of the badness, and not pretend that it doesn't exist.

When I say bad I'm thinking more sexual abuser or rancid racist rather than maybe tweeted that "all lives matter"

Question: Including "fake deaths" which X-Man has died the most?

bessantj fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 8, 2018

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Servoret posted:

Tom DeFalco stole that ending from an earlier Grandmaster story in Giant-Size Defenders #3. There, Daredevil saves the day by challenging Grandmaster to a double or nothing bet based on a coin toss, and then rigs the coin toss by using his super-senses to feel how he has to flip the coin to produce the result that he needs. And then the Grandmaster just decides to honor the bet and fucks off instead of conquering Earth. Also, there's an art mistake that makes it look like Daredevil announces the result of the coin toss wrong, making the ending even more dumb than it already is.

(The Grandmaster honoring the bet he makes with Daredevil could arguably be in character for him, except the only reason that the bet happens at all is that Grandmaster betrays an agreement he makes with the Defenders not to try to conquer Earth when they sign on to play in his game to begin with.)

As much as I like Steve Gerber's Defenders run, that's probably the worst Defenders story he ever wrote. DeFalco's ending makes much more sense. I really liked those Avengers annuals too.
ope, reread it.

frodnonnag fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 8, 2018

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

bessantj posted:

When I say bad I'm thinking more sexual abuser or rancid racist rather than maybe tweeted that "all lives matter"

Question: Including "fake deaths" which X-Man has died the most?

I imagine Wolverine has got to be up there if we're counting like, "appears dead for two pages but actually just fell off a cliff". Oh, and does Xavier count? Because he's a contender too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Android Blues posted:

I imagine Wolverine has got to be up there if we're counting like, "appears dead for two pages but actually just fell off a cliff". Oh, and does Xavier count? Because he's a contender too.

It's almost certainly Xavier if we count fake-outs, I think he does it twice in God Loves, Man Kills alone.

Wolverine would be tricky to figure out what counts, because there's times bad guys think they killed him, but the reader knows full well he's still alive, even beyond the fact that we're halfway through a book with his name on the cover.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 8, 2018

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

frodnonnag posted:

anyone else realize that he never told him which side was heads and which was tails and probably just called whichever side it landed on heads for him to win.
He says it in the fourth panel of the second page in the dialogue box that is so closely crammed in with a thought balloon that it's easy to mistake it as more thinking.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

He says it in the fourth panel of the second page in the dialogue box that is so closely crammed in with a thought balloon that it's easy to mistake it as more thinking.

yeah, sometimes older comics are insane at trying to follow just from text density.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Skwirl posted:

It's almost certainly Xavier if we count fake-outs, I think he does it twice in God Loves, Man Kills alone.

Wolverine would be tricky to figure out what counts, because there's times bad guys think they killed him, but the reader knows full well he's still alive, even beyond the fact that we're halfway through a book with his name on the cover.

I feel like a good rule of thumb might be if the character's friends also think they're dead - or, if the book itself plays it straight like, "I can't believe Wolverine is dead! He was so brave!".

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

"The villain thinks you're dead" should never count.

prefect fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 8, 2018

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

prefect posted:

There's a Hulk annual from the 70's that has become kind of funny in retrospect. The Hulk is fighting a bunch of monsters from the Atlas/MC days of the company (including a few that would be regular foes for him), and they all introduce themselves in giant splash panels with "I AM XEMU!" "I AM GLOB!" "I AM WHATEVER!" except for the thing from planet X which gets a monologue instead of saying "I AM GROOT!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Grout didn't become catchphrase only until a few years ago. He's very chatty in Annihilation Conquest.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Giffen wrote Groot with regular speech but Abnett and Lanning eventually turned it into the "I AM GROOT" style somewhere during their Guardians run complete with an explanation from Maximus about how that was just how their species talked.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Android Blues posted:

I feel like a good rule of thumb might be if the character's friends also think they're dead - or, if the book itself plays it straight like, "I can't believe Wolverine is dead! He was so brave!".

prefect posted:

If it did there would be hundreds of listing for just about any character. I was reading the Bane arc for the first time a bit back and when Bruce finally returns to action to take down his replacement the Batmobile gets blown up and everyone treats it like he's dead for a page or two. It was absurd.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

X-O posted:

Giffen wrote Groot with regular speech but Abnett and Lanning eventually turned it into the "I AM GROOT" style somewhere during their Guardians run complete with an explanation from Maximus about how that was just how their species talked.

Yeah, after he was blown up and came back only saying "I am Groot" and then somehow that became the way it always was even though it wasn't even that way in recent continuity. It's just amusing that the other monsters get "I AM" and Groot somehow walks around that phrasing.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

It's not really that good, you're not missing out if you just don't read the crazy man's stuff.

It’s true. With so much creator-owned work out there these days, Elfquest and Cerebus don’t seem all that special. They got huge attention back in the day because that was kind of all there was for a while between work-for-hire and undergrounds as far as domestic North American comic books were concerned. Dave Sim’s technique got better as he went along, but I think there’s a lot of self-indulgent stuff in Cerebus that doesn’t work well. He sort of never escaped his own head even besides the obvious lunacy. He never had an editor or a real collaborator outside of his background assistant and he always had a monthly quota of pages to fill, so he had the narrative disadvantages of both underground and work-for-hire comics in a way. (Which probably doesn’t make him remotely unique in a world full of webcomics that disappear up their own rear end.) Cerebus isn’t exactly Fun Home or Can’t We Talk About Something More Pleasant, however much Sim likes to BS about it being a novel. But why would he ever leave his cave to learn that when thanks to his genius he already knows all there is to know about the world and the Feminist-Homosexualist conspiracy behind everything? (His homegrown term for his MRA bullshit IIRC.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't ever gotten into Cerebus but I feel like Usagi Yojimbo, of which I have read a decent amount, is probably better anyway.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't ever gotten into Cerebus but I feel like Usagi Yojimbo, of which I have read a decent amount, is probably better anyway.

There was that crossover episode of the Ninja Turtles cartoon were Usagi Yojimbo kept referring to women as The Void.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

There was that crossover episode of the Ninja Turtles cartoon were Usagi Yojimbo kept referring to women as The Void.

Wow they really hate Venus

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cerebus actually met the ninja turtles in issue 8 of their book. The original run of TMNT was rife (or plagued, depending on your perspective) with crossovers, each weirder than the last.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

Cerebus actually met the ninja turtles in issue 8 of their book. The original run of TMNT was rife (or plagued, depending on your perspective) with crossovers, each weirder than the last.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
One weird thing about Cerebus is all the semi-obscure 90's comics references. Like, you need to be really aware of Marvel and Spawn and Sandman etc to get a lot of the jokes. Makes it a little hard for the indie comic book store audience that would otherwise get a kick out of it.

For all the talk of it being a grand novel, it never loses the parody aspect until the very end.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've only read plot summaries of Cerebus, and it's really hard for me to take this grand sociopolitical fantasy epic seriously when it's not only littered with parodic characters, they're a meaningful part of the plot. Cerebus abused his papacy to divorce himself from...a parody of Red Sonja. Then he meets Adam Weisshaupt and Oscar Wilde in this, uh, late medieval world?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It just sounds like every lovely "gamer jokes" or "half rear end LOTR parody" webcomic that goes on for years and eventually tries to become serious drama.

Yes, I'm comparing Cerberus to loss.jpg. gently caress Dave Sim.