Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ugsimic-rivals-of-ixalandominaria-merfolk/

The mainboard of this looks like a solid template to go off of even without the mythics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TheKingofSprings posted:

E: Luckily Merfolk looks to be getting some very strong support in the next set

what besides this guy?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

what besides this guy?

Silvergill Adept

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

TheKingofSprings posted:

Silvergill Adept

uh, that was from last set

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

MTGO is a treasure.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mossyfisk posted:

uh, that was from last set

Oh, rip

Uhhh there’s the 3/3 for 5 that draws cards off of lands I guess

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

poo poo is weak posted:

An interesting point was brought up at the beginning of this video. It's against the rules to receive outside assistance under any REL, yet popular streamers receive comments from hundreds of viewers throughout their matches. From a practical perspective, obviously most of the comments are poo poo or unrelated - however it isn't unreasonable to imagine a player could receive valuable insights from a few comments. Who cares if it's a league, but it's kind of bullshit in a PTQ etc.

As far as ghosting, I probably wouldn't do it unless I really hated the streamer or a butt load of money was on the line.

You play worse while streaming so nobody would ever do it in PTQ and also it opens yourself up to getting ghosted.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

poo poo is weak posted:

An interesting point was brought up at the beginning of this video. It's against the rules to receive outside assistance under any REL, yet popular streamers receive comments from hundreds of viewers throughout their matches. From a practical perspective, obviously most of the comments are poo poo or unrelated - however it isn't unreasonable to imagine a player could receive valuable insights from a few comments. Who cares if it's a league, but it's kind of bullshit in a PTQ etc.

As far as ghosting, I probably wouldn't do it unless I really hated the streamer or a butt load of money was on the line.

I'm a big fan of various card games and have been playing Slay The Spire a lot recently, and I'm active in the SA thread and did a video I posted to youtube with some commentary a few days ago. It's definitely harder to commentate as I play than just play, and if I was interacting with a chat and streaming, I imagine it would add another layer of distraction that getting a few tips from people, assuming I could read through it all in time, wouldn't begin to make up for.

The better you are, on average, the less a random person in the chat is probably going to be able to help you. If you have someone like LSV streaming, how many people in the chat are really capable of coming up with better lines he should be considering? Anyone who is good at these games that's streaming is going to have their win percentage/decision making go down or at best remain the same even with chat helping them.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I used to play Magic when I was younger, but haven't really in over ten years. However I got an invite to Arena for the stress test and have started playing on there. As a lot of people have pointed out there are a lot of crappy elements to the UI and unintuitive things, but it's refreshing to get back into Magic and a digital card game more complicated than Hearthstone. I've been focused on trying to improve the Merfolk precon but I'm still short of a bunch of uncommons that I'd like. I'd say that's my biggest complaint about the economy so far, they shower you in commons, 90% of which are totally useless and at best give +0.1% to the vault. Still I'm having enough fun and since I'm going to be moving in a couple months I might start playing in person again.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Some Numbers posted:

For new players. They're designed to be mostly noncompetitive so competitive players don't buy them and new players can get their hands on them.

I'm surprised that no other industry that has confronted the problem of demand for a product outstripping supply has ever hit on the galaxy brain solution of making a worse product so that informed consumers won't want to buy it

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm more than a little annoyed that I haven't gotten an Arena invite yet.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GimmickMan posted:

That's it? No flying, first strike or lifelink? Not even a fourth point of toughness or Hexproof White? Weeeeaaaak.

Let's remember shades!

Or things with black's pay mana to get huge effect since they vary what type gets it.

1/1 for 1, needs two mana to get +1/+1
3/3 for 4, needs two mana for +1/+1, and is gated by Delirium
1/1 for 3, 1 mana for +1/+1 or a gate for +2/+2
0/4 for 4, 2 mana for +2/+2
1/1 for 4, 1 mana for +1/+1, puts a swamp in your hand
1/1 with undying for 4, 1 mana for +1/+1

Comparing it to Nantuko Shade is missing a sinister underbelly: shades traditionally loving suck. That and Nirkana Revenant are the only ones that don't just straight up gargle turds. A 3/3 for 3 that gets +1/+1 for 1 mana each is actually waaaay above rate.

Is it good? Probably not, 1/2 for 1 mana on a shade isn't actually a good trade, but drat, it's the 2nd best Shade.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm going to make an efucated guess and say that the only reason Nantuko Shade was even playable was because it didn't cost a billion mana to cast and had Cabal Coffers in the same set to help make it huge.

Because it certainly never did poo poo in Standard when it was reprinted in Magic 2012.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Was Cabal Coffers ever so broken that they needed to not just reprint it? I don't understand why they made a worse card when coffers doesn't start generating extra mana til turn 5.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

MBC was a pretty good deck back in the Odyssey era but it was never dominant because that was the same block with Psychatog, Upheaval, Wild Mongrel and Circular Logic.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

Was Cabal Coffers ever so broken that they needed to not just reprint it?

It can't tap for mana without swamps in play. They don't print lands without at least the ability to tap for at least one colorless.

Last time a land straight up lacked even that was Eye of Ugin in 2010.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It’s a worse card but it’s not actually that much worse.

The non-basic clause sucks but playing Coffers in a splash deck was dumb anyways and tapping for mana means it isn’t dead the first 4 turns

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Sickening posted:

Was Cabal Coffers ever so broken that they needed to not just reprint it? I don't understand why they made a worse card when coffers doesn't start generating extra mana til turn 5.

The more telling question is this: did they think Nykthos was too strong when it was in Standard?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Sickening posted:

In addition to what others have already said, perhaps Cabal Coffers's status as a $25 uncommon puts it on the unofficial Reserved List.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Couple of Jade Bearers, probably, are there no other good turn 1 drops for your aggressive deck?

E: you should put multiple of that explore Merfolk in your deck as well, the 2/1 for 2 one

I added 4x Kumena Speakers and 4x Silvergill Adepts, moved the Castaway's Despair to sideboard and took out a couple of the 4 mana hexproof dudes. 4-0 in single games with the changes. Last game I got was kind of a standoff with a dude building up 1/1 artifact tokens, I cast Tempest Caller and hit him 24 damage. :getin:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
How much play did Nykthos actually get outside of monsters? I remember it just being kind of cute in Mono Black, I know it was big in mono Blue but that deck fell off quick

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I added 4x Kumena Speakers and 4x Silvergill Adepts, moved the Castaway's Despair to sideboard and took out a couple of the 4 mana hexproof dudes. 4-0 in single games with the changes. Last game I got was kind of a standoff with a dude building up 1/1 artifact tokens, I cast Tempest Caller and hit him 24 damage. :getin:

Neat, I’m glad the changes seem to have helped

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 8, 2018

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Attorney at Funk posted:

The more telling question is this: did they think Nykthos was too strong when it was in Standard?

Major difference between Dominaria having a throwback to Cabal Coffers, and Nykthos being the strongest enabler and payoff for a central theme of Theros.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Does standard merfolk have enough wizards for the counterspell?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
W/G devotion was a pretty strong deck for a while. The mainfest/morph pile with Whisperwood, Nykthos, Raptor, and Mastery of the Unseen

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

How much play did Nykthos actually get outside of monsters? I remember it just being kind of cute in Mono Black, I know it was big in mono Blue but that deck fell off quick

Nykthos was a big loving deal its entire time in standard, easily letting mono-color themes survive when sandwiched by RTR and KTK and their extremely heavy multicolor themes.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/modern-challenge-2018-04-08

No copies of Jace in top 32 apparently, 4 copies of Bloodbraid Elf

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Attorney at Funk posted:

iirc, from whatever dev article, they considered it at the cusp of acceptable standard power level, if not slightly higher

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Edit: Mixing up Husk and Shade like a chump.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Mono-U didn't fall off quickly. It was the only deck that could really beat Mono-B. Those two decks dominated until RtR rotated when they lost Nightveil Spectre. Mono-G and G/r Monsters didn't appear until after rotation.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Mono-U didn't fall off quickly. It was the only deck that could really beat Mono-B. Those two decks dominated until RtR rotated when they lost Nightveil Spectre. Mono-G and G/r Monsters didn't appear until after rotation.

I thought mono R was the only deck that could get a decent win rate until they printed Bile Blight and then welp

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
If you're a streamer and you are afraid of ghosting, run on a delay. Kenji did for PTQs and such.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I thought mono R was the only deck that could get a decent win rate until they printed Bile Blight and then welp

I wish mono-R was that good. (It was the deck I played.)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It seems Arena has some kind of nasty memory leak or whatever. After a couple hours of playing, the interface slows to a crawl unless you exit and restart. Or at least it does this for me. So heads up on that.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

myDad posted:

Does standard merfolk have enough wizards for the counterspell?

Arcane Adaptation could help... :getin:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I hosted a home event where a dude brought an A25 box. We only ended up with 4 so we split it up for sealed.

loving going into this I didn't expect to say "wow this was a good box of A25," but it had Jace, Rishidan Port, Thalia, Blood Moon, Foil Bolas, foil Azusa, Ensaring Bridge, Pact of Negation, and one of the filter lands among other things.

I personally offered up a "draft pack" of 3 A25 boosters to the winner to keep things interesting-- and won back my own packs. Plague winds and a couple filter lands.

E: One of my more clever lines of play in my Orzhov Goodstuff I ended up in was having a Pacifism out. Drop an edict. Of course he sacs the Pacifism guy, sending pacifism to my yard. Drop an Auramancer, pick it up, and drop it on another guy. Felt cool

I picked up the UW precon, and it looks pretty tight. I already traded for the 4 Glacial Fortresses and have a Search for Azcanta and a couple gearhulks to throw in it.

So, as I start making substitutions... is there a sensible reason the mill deserts are in there? Just for screwing with scry effects in the mirrorish match?

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 9, 2018

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Owlbear Camus posted:

I picked up the UW precon, and it looks pretty tight. I already traded for the 4 Glacial Fortresses and have a Search for Azcanta and a couple gearhulks to throw in it.

So, as I start making substitutions... is there a sensible reason the mill deserts are in there? Just for screwing with scry effects in the mirrorish match?

You can use it to trim cards off of the top of your deck post approach to get you there faster. You can also utilize it in the mirror for the same purpose if you have a count of how many cards down approach is for your opponent. I’ve also seen the UW Approach mirrors get to the point of decking g1, so that definitely gives you an edge there.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Mono-G was a thing the moment Nykthos was printed, it just sucked poo poo because Supreme Verdict loving destroyed it. Gr monsters was a thing for the entire theros block, it just wasn't quite as good as mono-B.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

TheKingofSprings posted:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ugsimic-rivals-of-ixalandominaria-merfolk/

The mainboard of this looks like a solid template to go off of even without the mythics

Mainboard needs to go away as a term.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I really like the art for the MTG Goldfish videos on YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Should I give in and start running Mardu Pyromancer? Every time I see a build of it online the only card that I'm missing is the Cliffs (which is admittedly a decent-sized miss) and it keeps putting up results online.

Does it have a decent game against Tron? There's been a lot of that at my LGS lately.