Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

US warships have fired cruise missiles at Syria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I'd like actual news sources about if something is happening, like the BBC saying cruise missiles launched or something.

If true, this is probably another limp-dick single strike by trump, all I ask is that please at least kill a bunch of assad soldier just give me that.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 9, 2018

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

It's all coming in via Twitter first, but here's a news article https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/943275/Syria-airstrike-USA-explosions-Lebanon-Assad-fighter-jets-T4-Tiyas-news-latest

One wave of cruise missiles has hit 4 airbases, including the T4 Airbase that's being used as a base by the Iranian army. Reports that a second wave of cruise missiles are firing or about to fire.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

GWBBQ posted:

It's all coming in via Twitter first, but here's a news article https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/943275/Syria-airstrike-USA-explosions-Lebanon-Assad-fighter-jets-T4-Tiyas-news-latest

One wave of cruise missiles has hit 4 airbases, including the T4 Airbase that's being used as a base by the Iranian army. Reports that a second wave of cruise missiles are firing or about to fire.

Christ. he is going full air war now.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Christ. he is going full air war now.

lets wait and see, maybe its another one of those 'warn the russians who will warn the syrians well in advance so that the damage is super minimal' type of deals.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Syrian state TV is saying just missiles so far and confirms attack on T4

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/DionNissenbaum/status/983153955667574785

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 9, 2018

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

this is from last year, check the date.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/DionNissenbaum/status/983153955667574785

Al-Saqr posted:

this is from last year, check the date.
Yeah, I edited it out but not fast enough.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Inb4 France is unleashed!!!

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Guess that leaves Israel then.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/AlSuraEnglish/status/983155405898461184

Given Netanyahu's pressure on Trump to not do anything earlier in the day, I really doubt Israel is behind it. The joys of everyone trying to scoop each other on breaking news.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

lol, trumps gonna say it was us on twitter.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Who has guided missile ships in the area other than the US?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

LeoMarr posted:

Who has guided missile ships in the area other than the US?

If it wasn’t the States seems likely that it would have been either France or Israel. The secrecy behind it still hours later leads me to think Israel

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I gotta say, a lot of the response to the latest chemical weapons strike is really hosed up and has hosed me up. I'm talking of course about the "anti-imperialist" left. Before the white foam has even stopped gurgling out of the childrens' mouths, all of these cretins have climbed upon the corpses and begun braying about false flags. This is the type of insipid tribalism and self-satisfied disregard for human dignity that I would expect from the right. And indeed the pro-Assad nationalist far right does make the same hollow, facile arguments! It's very distressing how many people that I genuinely like, look up to, and respect have fully bought into the whole rebels gassing themselves narrative. Is it that seeing chemical attacks and deciding that not retaliating is the right move would feel too monstrous and too difficult to reconcile? I really think the US military speaks for itself here on why direct military overthrow would leave more dead, scarred, and ruined than if our military would try to avoid confrontation with the SAA. Isn't that an even stronger anti-imperialist stance than needing to rely on these external rationalizations? Y'alls know that old bit about how if you purposefully rush to disagree with someone in all things, that you're really still letting them control you in a way? Sometimes I feel like this is much of the attitude of the "anti-imperialist" left towards US foreign policy. And so isn't that just its own type of nationalism, looking at everything from an American point of view?

I know this happens every time there's a chemical attack, but this is the one that really got to me. I dunno if it was this set of pictures, or the high casualities, or just this moment in time. My cynical shell has cracked and there is sadness and despair underneath. And to see who I regard as my ideological allies react this way sends me into a spiral of thinking about how my own beliefs are just a web of truth and lies that I'll never be able to pull apart. I know I'm screaming into the void, but this thread always feels like a breath of fresh air and one of the saner places to read about the war that I've ever come across. And how scary is that thought? Ah, I suppose it is the unspeakable, unimaginable horror of chemical weapons that gets me so emotional. I remember feeling mentally unwell after the Khan Sheikhoun attack also.

Chemical weapons attacks are the absolute worst thing humans do to one another. Inna lillaahi wa innaa ilayhi raaji’oon. Peace be upon the victims' families.

cyberbully
Feb 10, 2003

Maybe this is a common question, but I was wondering if anyone had an explanation regarding the pupil response in this attack. Sarin and all the other acetylcholinesterase inhibitors cause dramatic pupil constriction, but the images I’ve seen all show maximally dilated pupils. Does anyone know if after death the pupils then become dilated anyway? Or if there is a different class of chemical weapon that might have been used? Not sure what effect chlorine has here. I thought I remembered the previous attacks having constricted pupils though.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It looks like in this attack two yellow gas cylinders filled with chlorine were dropped from helicopters, which matches with dozens of other chlorine attacks by the Syrian air force.

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/982983430794285058
https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/982983830645690369

Video footage from one of the impact sites shows it came through the roof of an apartment building, in a room close to main staircase of the apartment building, and the chlorine gas would have travelled quickly through the building. Anyone trying to flee would have had to enter the staircase which would have been filled with chlorine gas. At least two children died on the stairs, and many bodies were found an apartment, mainly around the entrance hall that led to the stair case.

There's been a few claims of constricted pupils in victims, but everything I've seen indicates chlorine gas was used, and it would be difficult to put Sarin into the pressurised gas cylinders used.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

A Bag of Milk posted:

I gotta say, a lot of the response to the latest chemical weapons strike is really hosed up and has hosed me up. I'm talking of course about the "anti-imperialist" left. Before the white foam has even stopped gurgling out of the childrens' mouths, all of these cretins have climbed upon the corpses and begun braying about false flags. This is the type of insipid tribalism and self-satisfied disregard for human dignity that I would expect from the right. And indeed the pro-Assad nationalist far right does make the same hollow, facile arguments! It's very distressing how many people that I genuinely like, look up to, and respect have fully bought into the whole rebels gassing themselves narrative. Is it that seeing chemical attacks and deciding that not retaliating is the right move would feel too monstrous and too difficult to reconcile? I really think the US military speaks for itself here on why direct military overthrow would leave more dead, scarred, and ruined than if our military would try to avoid confrontation with the SAA. Isn't that an even stronger anti-imperialist stance than needing to rely on these external rationalizations? Y'alls know that old bit about how if you purposefully rush to disagree with someone in all things, that you're really still letting them control you in a way? Sometimes I feel like this is much of the attitude of the "anti-imperialist" left towards US foreign policy. And so isn't that just its own type of nationalism, looking at everything from an American point of view?

I kind of just stopped paying attention after posting that Jacobin article that took apart Hersh’s journalism on the chemical weapons attack through multiple points to one of these people’s Facebook status. His first response was to misquote the article and say that “This article is already wrong in the first sentence!” I corrected him to which he replied “Ok, I’ll read it later.” Later he posted a comment that was just “Jacobin is biased.” So I assume dude did not read the article. Today he posted something about how this recent chemical attack is also bullshit and we should all know that thanks to Sy Hersh’s previous reporting. He also does not support the YPG almost exclusively because the US has supported them. Facile is exactly the word for it. Just move on. I don’t see the point if they won’t even read an article or address any of the points made.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

This will be in the news for like a week or two and then Donald Trump will do something stupid and everyone will forget about it until it happens again and again until Assad has strangled the life out of all opposition to his rule in Syria. These horrors are going to be visited on the Kurds and Arabs living under the SDF umbrella next when we inevitably abandon them.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brown Moses posted:

it would be difficult to put Sarin into the pressurised gas cylinders used.

How so?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Sarin is a liquid, and extremely dangerous to handle, so putting it into a large industrial pressurised gas cylinder along with some chlorine would be dangerous and probably not very effective anyway. I'm also really not seeing the symptoms in this attack that I've seen with Sarin attacks.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brown Moses posted:

Sarin is a liquid, and extremely dangerous to handle, so putting it into a large industrial pressurised gas cylinder along with some chlorine would be dangerous and probably not very effective anyway. I'm also really not seeing the symptoms in this attack that I've seen with Sarin attacks.

Looks like I'm gonna have to re-workshop my plans for chemical cocktail bomber party. You don't really see multiple chemical weapons being used concurrently, do you?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

A Typical Goon posted:

If it wasn’t the States seems likely that it would have been either France or Israel. The secrecy behind it still hours later leads me to think Israel

Our news have already started to call it a probable attack by Israel. Apparently the missiles were launched by Israelian jets.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

lollontee posted:

Looks like I'm gonna have to re-workshop my plans for chemical cocktail bomber party. You don't really see multiple chemical weapons being used concurrently, do you?

There's been allegations in Syria, but nothing really solid. I think sometimes it's just people there are used to certain consequences from chlorine attacks, and when they're as intense as this one was they think it must have been something more powerful, when to me it seems they were just in the worst possible location when they were exposed.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

A Bag of Milk posted:

I know this happens every time there's a chemical attack, but this is the one that really got to me. I dunno if it was this set of pictures, or the high casualities, or just this moment in time. My cynical shell has cracked and there is sadness and despair underneath. And to see who I regard as my ideological allies react this way sends me into a spiral of thinking about how my own beliefs are just a web of truth and lies that I'll never be able to pull apart. I know I'm screaming into the void, but this thread always feels like a breath of fresh air and one of the saner places to read about the war that I've ever come across. And how scary is that thought? Ah, I suppose it is the unspeakable, unimaginable horror of chemical weapons that gets me so emotional. I remember feeling mentally unwell after the Khan Sheikhoun attack also.

Chemical weapons attacks are the absolute worst thing humans do to one another. Inna lillaahi wa innaa ilayhi raaji’oon. Peace be upon the victims' families.

This infuriates me too, and it seems to be many people who I otherwise generally support.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Brown Moses, I haven't followed this thread in a few years but I listen to NPR's Up First podcast, and they just cited you by name as a source for the barrel bomb stuff. Makes me proud to be a goon.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I ran into a guy at work who went to a talk by BM regarding tracking down the SA-11 that shot down the Malaysian airliner. A fair number of people on the military side are pretty aware of his work.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I get up to quite a bit of stuff I don't talk about online, otherwise the people I'm working with would be bombarding by idiots saying I'm the worst person in the world. I'm currently in the 2nd year of filming a documentary about Bellingcat that should be finished at the end of this year, and that'll have a lot of stuff in it that I generally don't talk about publicly.

Meanwhile, in Douma, Russian forces visited the site of the chemical attack to have a look around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFKkTwa0TBM

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Since the threat of Iranian response was mitigsted by trumps tweets I would say Israel had the most to gain from this lawnmower action

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brown Moses posted:

I get up to quite a bit of stuff I don't talk about online, otherwise the people I'm working with would be bombarding by idiots saying I'm the worst person in the world. I'm currently in the 2nd year of filming a documentary about Bellingcat that should be finished at the end of this year, and that'll have a lot of stuff in it that I generally don't talk about publicly.

nice. do you have someone professional editing it?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

lollontee posted:

nice. do you have someone professional editing it?

Yeah, it's being filmed and produced by a professional production company, they approached us and asked if we'd be willing to take part:
https://www.submarine.nl/project/the-bellingcat-method/

This is the director:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0690787/

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Libluini posted:

Our news have already started to call it a probable attack by Israel. Apparently the missiles were launched by Israelian jets.

Two F-15s, firing standoff weapons (Popeye?) while being on Lebanese airspace. They never entered Syria.
I think this is the third time the Israelis bombed the Tiyas base.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/AP/status/983371644172369920

quote:

BREAKING: President Trump condemns "heinous attack" in Syria, says he'll make decision on U.S. response in 24 to 48 hours.
Trump gonna do something. What that some thing is, who the gently caress knows.

https://twitter.com/afarinmamosta/status/983366185445134337?s=21

quote:

French military vehicles spotted in #Manbij countryside.
Looks like France really is deploying spec ops to Syria. Turkey gonna keep being mad, so same as usual I guess.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 9, 2018

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Nothing really changes. Russia is certainly not going to escalate against US or Israel, unless said countries decide to attack actual Russian assets in the theater. I'm pretty certain that avenues of communication exist between the parties, so as to make sure that something like this does not accidentally happen.

On the other hand, Russias' intervention in the conflict pretty much ensures that US and Israel cannot really do much against the Assad regime either. Which also means that the attacks we do see are more a matter of posturing/PR rather than legitimate military operations under a comprehensive intervention strategy for the war.

Assad will simply keep killing people, until he is finished. The only wild-card here is Turkey....and NOT in a good way.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dante80 posted:

Assad will simply keep killing people, until he is finished. The only wild-card here is Turkey....and NOT in a good way.
Looking forward to Russia and the US taking a backseat to the Franco-Turkish War.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Might as well make this a new post, here are some tweets from Jenan Moussa's interview with an ISIS fighter. The whole tweet chain is a pro-read but here's some of the high points:

https://twitter.com/jenanmoussa/status/982994396529545216

quote:

6/ UK ISIS-Beatle admitted to me he was ISIS member. Refused to talk about what he did.
Kept saying: "When they get along with legal process we can talk about accusations against me."
In other words: Get me out of Syria &I'll give in UK some (selective) info on my time in ISIS.

7/ When I asked captured UK #ISIS Beatle El Shafee ElSheikh which things in ISIS he didn't agree to, he mentioned he was against "traffic tickets".
Moments later, he says he supports slavery.
Well, except for ISIS supporters, the hypocrisy can't be lost on anyone...

https://twitter.com/jenanmoussa/status/983072798355656704

quote:

12/ As I sat next to ISIS-Beatle member, couple of things struck me:

a/ He never looked me in the eye. It was like I wasn't there.
b/ He's a very angry man. Hate for West. Told me he wants to live in Sudan.
c/ On the other hand, he prefers to be tried in UK.
d/ No remorse.

13/ Also interesting: After UK #ISIS-member El Shafee Elsheikh became angry at me &cut the interview, we still talked off camera for about 15 minutes mainly in Arabic.

He told me that if time goes back to 2012, "I would do it all over again".
Really this guy has no remorse.
This was the most disturbing part of the interview to me, this fucker said he would legitimately join ISIS again if given the chance. That mindset, there's no possible rehabilitation there, all that's left is just to lock him up forever.

https://twitter.com/jenanmoussa/status/983267457715638272

quote:

21/ Interestingly, captured UK #ISIS "Beatles" ElSheikh told me he believes his UK citizenship hasn't been revoked (as was mentioned in British media).

ElSheikh told me that the people who told him he lost his UK citizenship "aren't reliable".

22/ This confirms that UK #ISIS "Beatles" Al Shafee ElSheikh who was captured in Syria has indeed lost his UK citizenship.

(Thank you @rajanbasra for link).

Rajan Basra:
Seems he's in denial: his citizenship was revoked December 2014, as confirmed in the UK Treasury's list of targets for financial sanctions:

23/ With 100s of foreign ISIS-members in Kurdish jails in Syria, Kurds told me they r getting desperate.
Many Western countries refuse ISIS fighters back, but prisoners need jails, food etc. "ISIS came from Europe to kill us, now we have to feed our killers from our own pocket"
Some confirmation that the SDF does indeed keep ISIS as prisoners (rather than executing them), and man it's a sad statement that this alone makes them the most humane faction in Syria.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/JWoodJourno/status/983372540738498560

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This has been suspected for a long time:

quote:

On January 11, 2012, about six weeks before Colvin’s death, the award-winning French war correspondent Gilles Jacquier and other journalists attended a pro-Assad rally in Homs. During the demonstration, in the New Ikrema neighborhood, the journalists were caught up in an attack. Reports at the time said a rocket-propelled grenade or mortar round was fired into the crowd. Several Syrians were killed, and so was Jacquier. He was the first foreign journalist to die in the conflict.

The Assad regime claimed that a “terrorist group” was responsible and said the incident showed that opposition forces in the country were “armed and dangerous.” But those were lies, according to Ulysses, the former Syrian intelligence officer. In the court documents, Ulysses alleges that the entire demonstration was staged, and that the Syrian regime had mapped out the route of the march in advance. Members of an Assad-supporting militia known as the shabiha “launched a rocket-propelled grenade at the demonstration from a nearby school called Quteiba,” Ulysses says. In the chaos that followed, Jacquier and the other reporters, accompanied by Syrian government spies, tried to document the attack. When Jacquier was brought to a prearranged location, Ulysses alleges, “regime forces fired a mortar at his position.”

Jacquier, 43, was hurt but not killed by the mortar round. A shabiha member named Wael Salamah — who allegedly helped plan and orchestrate the attack — “loaded Jacquier into a taxi, rather than into an ambulance,” Ulysses says. Salamah’s role was to ensure that Jacquier did not survive.

Jacquier’s partner, the photographer Caroline Poiron, was with him in Homs but was separated from him in the moments prior to the attack. She recalled in a 2013 interview that she heard an explosion while sheltering inside a building. When she rushed downstairs, she found Jacquier lying injured on the ground floor. There was no damage to the interior of the building, according to Poiron, which led her to believe Jacquier was killed “by either a 22-millimeter gun that is carried by Syrian secret service or by a long knife.” He died in the taxi on the way to the hospital.

Ulysses’s testimony suggests that senior members of the regime helped organize the assassination, including Maher al-Assad, Bashar’s brother, and Syrian army Gen. Ghassan Belal.

“I was very close to where Gilles was when he was killed,” Patrick Vallélian, a Swiss journalist who was among the group in Homs on the day of the attack, told The Intercept. “It was a trap. The regime was behind it. They wanted to kill Gilles.”

I remember discussing this at the time, I wonder if the discussion in the older MENA thread is still viewable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Because of course they did.

At this point, between targeting women and children, using chemical weapons, and hunting down war crimes reporters, Assad really is on his way to being the despot of his age.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 9, 2018