Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Deterministic combat?

C-Euro posted:

Been really busy lately and too tired to game at night, but I still need to get some sort of gaming fix. As such, I'm looking for a game that I can play on PC in 15-20 minute sessions where I can feel like I'm making progress each time that I play, but isn't so complex or in-depth that I'm going to forget what I was doing if I can't play it for a few days. Bonus points if I can play it in windowed mode and/or M+KB.

I feel like this maps closest to a roguelike, I would be down with one of those but other genres are cool too. Maybe Dungeonmans? I've had it in my Steam library for a while but have yet to play it.

Dungeonmans is good for this yeah. I'd also recommend both Monolith and Nuclear Throne over Binding of Isaac, but I may be in the minority of people that really does not care for Binding of Isaac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Been really busy lately and too tired to game at night, but I still need to get some sort of gaming fix. As such, I'm looking for a game that I can play on PC in 15-20 minute sessions where I can feel like I'm making progress each time that I play, but isn't so complex or in-depth that I'm going to forget what I was doing if I can't play it for a few days. Bonus points if I can play it in windowed mode and/or M+KB.

I feel like this maps closest to a roguelike, I would be down with one of those but other genres are cool too. Maybe Dungeonmans? I've had it in my Steam library for a while but have yet to play it.

I just bought Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, which is really good, and is built around quick saving and quick loading. It lends itself extremely well to quick play sessions where you not only progress but get to kill people in satisfying ways.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Deterministic combat?

Non-random. Due to the way Into the Breach works your turn will never involve randomness of any kind - shots will always connect and deal a consistent amount of damage, displacement effects act predictably, etc. Compare that to X-Com where combat hinges to a large degree on both accuracy checks and variable damage, and most of its status effects involve additional dice rolls.

There are still randomized elements in the game that you have to account for, but you're always reacting to them with a complete, objective set of information.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 6, 2018

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Can't tell you how many times I've played X-Com wishing it was like that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

John Murdoch posted:

There are still randomized elements in the game that you have to account for, but you're always reacting to them with a complete, objective set of information.

Namely, there's a (small, and capped at a low enough value that even if you raise it you can never rely on it) percentage-based chance that when an enemy hits one of your buildings, it won't be destroyed.

The game would be even better without Grid Defense and everything that interacts with it though, it's the least well thought-out part of the game by far.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 6, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I wouldn't object if Grid Defense bonuses were increased or replaced entirely, but it's always a nice surprise when it procs.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

That comes back to what I said about it being almost a puzzle game. You aren't banking on chance or dice rolls. Everything hinges on your ability to make the correct moves in the right order.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Issue is that kills the point of X-Com, particularly the original, whereby tension is derived from the unknowns. Heck, it was released as UFO: Enemy Unknown for a good reason. Works great for other games where it's designed with that in mind, but you'll find that any game above a certain scale either has to use some form of obfuscation (even ItB lacks truly perfect knowledge in terms of what monsters will spawn) or abstraction.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Heat Signature is good for short play sessions. It has progression, but individual levels are self-contained and can be finished in under 10 minutes. Super Hot is also a good one for 15 minutes of mayhem. Each level in it is about 3 to 5 minutes long and the main "story" is about 2 hours long, but there are a host of unlockable challenge modes to keep you engaged.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

C-Euro posted:

Do you like math? Do you REALLY like math?

Hydra Slayer is simple enough that you don't need to keep any knowledge between play sessions. It's a math-based roguelike.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Deterministic combat?

Dungeonmans is good for this yeah. I'd also recommend both Monolith and Nuclear Throne over Binding of Isaac, but I may be in the minority of people that really does not care for Binding of Isaac.

Here's my steam review for Dungeonmans I wrote when I got it last summer:

"I've played a LOT of roguelikes, and after only a dozen hours I can say Dungeonmans is already in my top 2. (The other being Stone Soup.)

Dungeonmans manages to have extremely straight forward and streamlined gameplay, while still offering meaningful choices and good tactical options.

The main con (which it shares with most titles in its genre) is that the vast majority of enemies are trash mobs which can easily lull you into autopilot making you respond to real dangers too late.
The game would also be better off if enemies dropped less trash loot to clutter up ones inventory."

It's a good game.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

I'm not aware of any modern games, but there's an early 3D game called Incubation that played like X-Com with less randomness and more puzzle aspect, and I remember it being a lot of fun.

It's on GOG for :10bux: in a bundle along with some other games.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Namely, there's a (small, and capped at a low enough value that even if you raise it you can never rely on it) percentage-based chance that when an enemy hits one of your buildings, it won't be destroyed.

Grid Defense is the most obvious one, but there's actually a lot of randomness around the edges. I might go as far to say that the only reason those elements are perfectly tolerable is because the core strategy component is so deliberate and unambiguous.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Sjs00 posted:

Deep rock galactic? Good or not? Thread?

I've been playing it with a group of friends and it's pretty amazing. For me, it doesn't seem to lose it luster as fast as something like Vermintide or Left 4 Dead since the maps are procedurally generated and with a lot of mission types, as well as a decently compelling progression system for each class. Plus since it's early access there's always the possibility of even more content being added by the developers.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

John Murdoch posted:

Grid Defense is the most obvious one, but there's actually a lot of randomness around the edges. I might go as far to say that the only reason those elements are perfectly tolerable is because the core strategy component is so deliberate and unambiguous.

There's "what bugs are coming up next turn, and where will the burrows be two turns from now" but you will always know that before you have to make decisions on the relevant turn. (And this is one of those shockingly rare good uses of randomness, because otherwise you'd be obligated to plan for advance turns to a much greater extent than you do now.)

Level-up perks are random, which is dumb and unnecessary, but it only demands the player make decisions with regard to a) start-scumming and b) which pilot goes in which mech, which is a call you make between missions and is even further insulated from turn-to-turn decision-making. Similar if not quite identical logic applies to gear and time pod rewards. (Cost/benefit on Time Pods is a little murky but more reactors / perfect islands are so desirable I rarely find myself worrying about whether I'm going to get an amazing pilot or gear piece or just a reactor.)

Island layouts are random but within a very constricted set of possibilities, and the only one that really sucks is single-star missions blocking the way to the rest of the island, which as far as I can tell can only happen on the first island when you're not invested in the run anyways.

Finally, I'm not certain whether there's a random element to the enemy AI, but I would be both shocked and disappointed if there were -- I'm not knowledgeable enough to manipulate it deliberately yet, but maybe some day.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

pigdog posted:

I'm not aware of any modern games, but there's an early 3D game called Incubation that played like X-Com with less randomness and more puzzle aspect, and I remember it being a lot of fun.

It's on GOG for :10bux: in a bundle along with some other games.

Telepath Tactics is a modern indie that's more fantasy style but 100% deterministic

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Are there any PC RPGs similar to Icewind Dale but with even more focus on combat and less on dialog/story that would run on a non-gaming laptop with integrated video? By less story I mean my ideal game like this would open with me creating a party and then spawning directly into an endless dungeon.

I have both NWN and NWN2, so any good combat- or dungeon-heavy modules for those would be cool too, preferably that span a large number of (character) levels.

I'm down for pretty much anything party-based with lots of character development and specialization but I'm burned out on strategy RPGs (disgaea, battle brothers, xcom, into the breach) and Wizardry clones

I have a lot of tolerance for jank but not much for ancient games with bad interfaces or controls.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 8, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Aielund Saga modules for NWN1 go all the way from 1 to 40, I think.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a game like Warship Gunner 2. I guess really what this means is: I want a game where I can spend an hour in the designer mode picking the perfect loadout for my ship (or plane or mech or whatever), go out, do some missions, get some schematics, and spend another hour in the designer mode. WG2 was just amazingly great for that because it had like a thousand different components, a bunch of different hulls to put those components into, and a big ol' unlocking system for getting access to new components and hulls to play with. Plus it spanned tech from around 1930s into bizarro futuretech, which is always a plus.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm looking for a game like Warship Gunner 2. I guess really what this means is: I want a game where I can spend an hour in the designer mode picking the perfect loadout for my ship (or plane or mech or whatever), go out, do some missions, get some schematics, and spend another hour in the designer mode. WG2 was just amazingly great for that because it had like a thousand different components, a bunch of different hulls to put those components into, and a big ol' unlocking system for getting access to new components and hulls to play with. Plus it spanned tech from around 1930s into bizarro futuretech, which is always a plus.

Armored Core, Mechwarrior

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Armored Core, Mechwarrior

I was hoping for a singleplayer game I could play on my desktop. All of these seem to be for specific consoles (my newest consoles are a Wii and a DS), too old, or online-only. :negative:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Front Missions 3-5. They need emulation if you want to play on your desktop, but are all solid games.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

deep dish peat moss posted:

PC RPGs with focus on combat and less on dialog/story

Have you played Low Magic Age

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Starsector, Warzone 2100, Maybe Robot Arena 2 or 3 (super spergy battlebots/robot wars simulator),

Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries is single player and has a free release from several years ago. The PSX and PS2 Armored Core games all emulate well.

The other half dozen games in the Kurogane no Houkou series. Warship Gunner and Warship Commander 2 are in english on the PS2, the rest are in Japanese on various platforms including PC.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 9, 2018

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I've been playing the modern kickstarted shadowrun games and I'm loving loving playing an old school RPG where the decisions I make aren't based on some arbitrary min/max value but what I would actually do/say. It got me hard when I chose the action that would give me the shiny weapon and it made me feel bad for betraying my client.

I've got a PS4 and a PC, are there any other games like this? I would imagine that it's going to be some kind of RPG, and if so I would prefer the kind that doesn't require a shitton of advance knowledge in order to play the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Divinity Original Sin II.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Alpha Protocol

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

:negative:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Okay, let me amend: for an era whose graphics have for the most part aged poorly. I have a lot of trouble replaying most PSX-era games, and even some PS2-era games. But if there were an SNES game that had this kind of gameplay I could play it no problem.

I mean, if there were more modern takes on the genre then that's all to the good, but mostly it's a clarity issue. Low-res 3D often ends up muddy and does my aging eyeballs no favors.

dis astranagant posted:

Starsector, Warzone 2100, Maybe Robot Arena 2 or 3 (super spergy battlebots/robot wars simulator),

Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries is single player and has a free release from several years ago. The PSX and PS2 Armored Core games all emulate well.

The other half dozen games in the Kurogane no Houkou series. Warship Gunner and Warship Commander 2 are in english on the PS2, the rest are in Japanese on various platforms including PC.

Thanks for the recs, I'll have to check them out. I don't suppose by any chance you know if there's translation patches for the Japanese-only games?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Also Harebrained Schemes' Battletech is out real soon now, it's a turn-based tactics game with mech customization (and a mercenary campaign) on the strategy layer. You can customize a squad of 4 mechs, and unlock new ones through salvage and purchase.

taters
Jun 13, 2005

http://www.foxholegame.com/

Foxhole is a little army mans game, top down, rotatable iso view. The technology is between WWI and WWII era. Still a work in progress.

The content itself is both a Large War (World Conflict) that can last for many days until one side wins, and a series of rotating skirmishes that cap at 3, 4, or 5 hours depending on the map.

There is open voice chat, everyone can hear eachother regardless of team. The goons are Wardens mostly. Here is our discord: https://discord.gg/bbnpjBH

Most of the action is weekend evenings and the first 1-2 days of a WC reset. Victory requires a strong frontline of fighters and fortification builders AND a backline of resource gatherers, factory operators and truck drivers to deliver supplies (and soldiers) to where its needed. Someone mining metal non-stop is more valuable to the war effort than all but the most seasoned front line soldiers. It goes on sale occasionally. Available on Steam.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Thanks for the recs, I'll have to check them out. I don't suppose by any chance you know if there's translation patches for the Japanese-only games?

Nope

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Really Pants posted:

The Aielund Saga modules for NWN1 go all the way from 1 to 40, I think.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Sjs00 posted:

Have you played Low Magic Age

Yeah and I like it but I guess that's the sort of strategy rpg I'm kind of burned out on. I'm not too impressed with Adventure Mode right now but I like where it's heading, so it's on the back-burner until it gets fleshed out.

I found Monster's Den: Godfall which is pretty close to what I'm looking for but I'm still open to suggestions!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 10, 2018

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I really enjoy playing Grim Dawn a lot. Way more than Diablo or PoE.
But sometimes while playing through the game, I just want to try a different class, or a different build. Most ARPG's don't let you undo all your "points" and re-spec, mid game. You normally just have to start a new character, and a new playthrough.
I know there are probably mods that let you get around this, but I'm looking for a normal game recommendation.
Is there a ARPG similar to Grim Dawn that will let you re-spec or re-build your character at any time during the game?

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Has anyone beaten/ played The Witness?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Um, yeah?

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Its tripping me out. I can't do it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Sjs00 posted:

Its tripping me out. I can't do it.

Cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Dennis McClaren posted:

I really enjoy playing Grim Dawn a lot. Way more than Diablo or PoE.
But sometimes while playing through the game, I just want to try a different class, or a different build. Most ARPG's don't let you undo all your "points" and re-spec, mid game. You normally just have to start a new character, and a new playthrough.
I know there are probably mods that let you get around this, but I'm looking for a normal game recommendation.
Is there a ARPG similar to Grim Dawn that will let you re-spec or re-build your character at any time during the game?

Baldurs Gate with shadowkeeper?