Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

STAC Goat posted:

My feeling is that this card was booked directly for surprise results, which is almost always a bad philosophy, and that it was clearly time pressed which led to most of the matches that were ok (US; SD tag), good (AJ/Nakamura), or great (Charlotte/Asuka; IC) to fail to reach the level of good, great, or classic. That time went to a lot of spectacle (both McMahon matches, the Braun thing, and Taker) which had their moments but ate up a LOT of time.

I agree with this. There wasn't a single bad match on the card, but their clear plan was to subvert expectations in a way which would not leave the audience angry, but that also ensured the audience wouldn't be too happy either. And some of the matches were way shorter than they should have been and were clearly held back for external concerns, be that timing or protection of other matches. I don't want to condemn they for protecting their most important matches at the expense of less important ones, especially since almost every match on this card was good to great, but it is a shame that the overall quality of wrestling was worse to accommodate that.

I think the Brock match was good. It had a lot of good callbacks to Brock's Suplex City run, and Roman's specific history with Brock. It had some very cool spots and the psychology and character on display was consistent and effective. Brock winning was the right result for the match they presented, because otherwise it would have snapped credulity in half. If this is the end of Roman's run as TopGuy and he clears the way for a new option, this will be fondly remembered in retrospect I think.

If Roman remains top guy and gets another coronation in a year, it will be a black mark that may never wash out. I guess we'll have a better idea after Raw tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Please remember to brush your teeth, goons

Wow what the gently caress. I had to confirm that wasn't some sort of trick of light and shadow

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Wow what the gently caress. I had to confirm that wasn't some sort of trick of light and shadow

WWE took that old Combos sponsorship way too far

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Does anybody here know a dental hygienist who can explain what the gently caress is going on with Brock's teeth?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Now is the best time to repackage Roman as heel. Have him beat up Nicholas with a crowbar on RAW.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Does anybody here know a dental hygienist who can explain what the gently caress is going on with Brock's teeth?

Motherfucker has gross rear end teeth.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

in the business we call it Dakota Rot

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

cant wait for r rains to redeem himself at summerslam

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

As a casual wrestling fan i liked wrestlemania.

I just think you guys are hateful everytime i read a wwe thread its just bitching and complaining.

u should watch every show then m8

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Saint Freak posted:

Maybe this is all a huge con to make us all very excited to see more Ronda.

They accomplished that with belly shirt+skirt

And also her being pretty Good.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm honestly sad. I want to like the show but holy gently caress the booking was bad. I love wrestling so much, but it's killing me that the main promotion I like seems hell bent on spitting in my face. There were so my Goddamn matches that didn't end logically. Asuka losing, Nakamura losing, hell even Reigns losing makes no sense. I swear to gently caress unless something hot happens tomorrow and Tuesday I don't know how much longer I can watch

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Nilbop posted:

They accomplished that with belly shirt+skirt

And also her being pretty Good.
Agreed, she looked good in every way tonight.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

MotU posted:

thats v casual and its fine to think its bad, dont get caught up in others opinions b/c you may value some aspects of wrestling differently!
I'm really more of a lapsed fan tbf, I used to watch every PPV and weekly show and even write recaps back in the day, but then I just lost interest and have only watched the occasional show for the last nine years or so. I still like wrestling when it's good, the latest Takeover owned and I enjoy watching old stuff on the Network as well. I wanted to like this Mania, but the booking was just all over the place.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Hammerstein posted:

Now is the best time to repackage Roman as heel. Have him beat up Nicholas with a crowbar on RAW.

Roman Reigns is Jinder with even more questionable booking at this point. He has zero possibility of validation as a character outside of Ambrose coming back with a fallen hero angle where Ambrose helps him "rebuild" his confidence running up to a tag championship run at Summerslam, every program this guy has been in outside of the Shield has been the least receptive thing done on either show in as long as I can remember. He exists to sell t-shirts to children under the age of 12. I'm optimistic that Vince finally realized this and understands that he's at most a mid-card support act for Ambrose / Rollins since there is no way to repackage this guy outside of what the other poster suggested, which is complete 100% exile for the next year.

The Lesnar win, unfortunately leaves the primary title as a kind of bullshit garbage thing until Summerslam at the earliest, based on booking I think we'll get a slightly longer Joe vs Lesnar feud running up to this with Joe most likely winning. Raw is going to be a real, real dumpster fire for the next 3-4 months at the minimum.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

SalTheBard posted:

I'm honestly sad. I want to like the show but holy gently caress the booking was bad. I love wrestling so much, but it's killing me that the main promotion I like seems hell bent on spitting in my face. There were so my Goddamn matches that didn't end logically. Asuka losing, Nakamura losing, hell even Reigns losing makes no sense. I swear to gently caress unless something hot happens tomorrow and Tuesday I don't know how much longer I can watch

This malaise is really the reason why I switched to MMA, and why a lot of other fans have followed suit. The purity of a real fight and cool cards and not having to worry about whether or not a senile promoter is feeling loopy or not (and that goes for all of them not just the E) is super appealing.

Edit: Now's a good time to jump into AJPW :getin:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dishwasher posted:

This malaise is really the reason why I switched to MMA, and why a lot of other fans have followed suit. The purity of a real fight and cool cards and not having to worry about whether or not a senile promoter is feeling loopy or not (and that goes for all of them not just the E) is super appealing.

Not UFC then I guess.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/AlanTheRogue/status/983184767901368321

holy poo poo

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Not UFC then I guess.

lol gently caress no. But poo poo-tier Z league India cards are a assload of fun.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

:thurman:

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

There's much better wrestling out there. Give New Japan a shot, the subscription is the same price and they now have subtitled promos

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sanguinia posted:

I agree with this. There wasn't a single bad match on the card, but their clear plan was to subvert expectations in a way which would not leave the audience angry, but that also ensured the audience wouldn't be too happy either. And some of the matches were way shorter than they should have been and were clearly held back for external concerns, be that timing or protection of other matches. I don't want to condemn they for protecting their most important matches at the expense of less important ones, especially since almost every match on this card was good to great, but it is a shame that the overall quality of wrestling was worse to accommodate that.

I think the Brock match was good. It had a lot of good callbacks to Brock's Suplex City run, and Roman's specific history with Brock. It had some very cool spots and the psychology and character on display was consistent and effective. Brock winning was the right result for the match they presented, because otherwise it would have snapped credulity in half. If this is the end of Roman's run as TopGuy and he clears the way for a new option, this will be fondly remembered in retrospect I think.

If Roman remains top guy and gets another coronation in a year, it will be a black mark that may never wash out. I guess we'll have a better idea after Raw tomorrow.

My guy if you can say there were no badatches after that loving finish

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Jenkem Delivery posted:

There's much better wrestling out there. Give New Japan a shot, the subscription is the same price and they now have subtitled promos

Dragon Gate also has a streaming service out now with live shows. If you like Lucharesu and stable wars, the poo poo is Lit.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Is marty a pedophile or something?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

tweet my meat posted:

Is marty a pedophile or something?

The rumor was he had a thing for like 16/17 year olds

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright, these days I'm strictly a 'Mania and Rumble' watcher, and only if I'm not paying for it.
So now to give my unsolicited opinion on the night's events.

~ Cruiserweight Title: No wonder you folk are so high on Mustafa Ali. He does know he has to touch the ground occasionally right?
~ Woman's Battle Royal: Is Bayley's gimmick 'Watch this woman's childhood dreams get crushed a little more each week?' Because that's the impression I got.
~ ARMBAR: Hardy won? Bray back? Great. Onto the show.
~ IC match: Good match, but Finn's clothesline is dumb and he did it about 7 million times. If there's something cool and awesome about Finn, I didn't see it on display here.
~ Smackdown Women's Title Match: I can't comment on the quality. All I remember is being so angry at the end I gave myself a headache and had to lie down for an hour afterwards. Odds that WWE gives gently caress 1 about Asuka going forward?
~ US Title Match: Another sentence on the writing on the wall for Rusev.
~ Ronda/Angle vs. HHH/Steph: A great indicator that Rousey may be a megastar in WWE. I'm not sure how to feel about this.
~ Smackdown Tag Title Match: Missed it.
~ Bryan/Shane vs. KO/Sami: Was exactly what it should have been. Heat on Shane, hot tag to Bryan. Bryan does his 'best-of' set as the crowd goes apeshit. Now I can only hope that Zayn and Owens come back as El Generico #1 and #2.
~ Bliss/Jax: Surprise of the night. Loved the psychology. I guess I can see what people see in Bliss now.
~ Styles/Nakamura: I'm not sure I 'get' Nakamura. He has great transitions but I didn't see anything else from him. Maybe some people just don't mesh well with the 'E.

I checked out for the last two matches as my headache was intensifying and I needed to lie down. I was very presently surprised. Except for the Asuka thing. Feels like an enormous waste of a streak.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Overall I liked it. The only thing I really disliked was the US Title match and the Smackdown title match, everything else was at or above average to me. Of course one wants Wrestlemania to be all wonderful matches but it rarely is. Just most of them being good is good enough for me. I thought the IC Title and Asuka/Flair match were great.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That is exactly Bayleys gimmick.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

That is exactly Bayleys gimmick.

yeah bayley has a gypsy curse on her

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Kinda wish Braun picked Tanahashi out of the crowd without knowing who he was tbh

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Brock will hit 436 days on Tuesday, June 12th.

Theres a PPV on the Sunday following in the Midwest.

Im sure thats totally a coincidence.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hey! Bayley's gimmick isn't ALL about crushing her childhood dreams.

Sometimes it seems to be about just demoralizing her generally by calling her a loser who has never kissed a boy or having her friends betray her.

Its kind of amazing they haven't booked her to be bullied more by Alexa Bliss.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Building up some credible challengers to Braun and Nicholas I see

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Hey! Bayley's gimmick isn't ALL about crushing her childhood dreams.

Sometimes it seems to be about just demoralizing her generally by calling her a loser who has never kissed a boy or having her friends betray her.

Its kind of amazing they haven't booked her to be bullied more by Alexa Bliss.

Well, until now Alexa was the champion and Bayley was hardly title match material.

Now theyre free to.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Aphrodite posted:

Well, until now Alexa was the champion and Bayley was hardly title match material.

Now theyre free to.

Like, I'm surprised Alexa doesn't just periodically bully Bayley for shits and giggles. Its not like high school bullies pick on people because they're social or academic rivals. They pick on the weak.

In a twisted way it could have made the Nia Jax stuff better as Alexa would have really been the schoolyard bully. But like so might have Mickie James randomly deciding she actually liked the bully. I guess I'm just subconsciously trying to find better booking for Alexa's title reign.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

STAC Goat posted:

Like, I'm surprised Alexa doesn't just periodically bully Bayley for shits and giggles. Its not like high school bullies pick on people because they're social or academic rivals. They pick on the weak.

In a twisted way it could have made the Nia Jax stuff better as Alexa would have really been the schoolyard bully. But like so might have Mickie James randomly deciding she actually liked the bully. I guess I'm just subconsciously trying to find better booking for Alexa's title reign.

I'd like to think that the unspoken subtext between Bliss and Mickey is that Mickey clings to Bliss so she won't get called 'Piggy James' anymore.

But I don't think that's going to much matter anymore anyway.
Because the only things that's keeping every woman in WWE from being food for the beast that is Ronda Rousey is the brand split and the slim-to-none possibility that they'll let Ronda wrestle men.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 9, 2018

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I legitimately do not know how you gently caress up a gimmick as simple as Bayley's without having your head like, entirely up your own rear end in a top hat.

It's a naive young girl who tries hard and eventually wins. It's the plot of like half of all stories ever. What the gently caress kind of person doesn't understand this

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The kind of person who roots for Goliath.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
but goddamnit he's big!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Nilbop posted:

I legitimately do not know how you gently caress up a gimmick as simple as Bayley's without having your head like, entirely up your own rear end in a top hat.

It's a naive young girl who tries hard and eventually wins. It's the plot of like half of all stories ever. What the gently caress kind of person doesn't understand this

Somebody who has a literal anthropomorphized beaver in his ear telling him she cant go over because shes not fuckable

• Locked thread