Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

The Crystal Tower story line makes more sense of Nero showing up at the end of the HW.

I think all of SBs dungeons are fantastic. I leveled SCH, DRK, and RDM through there almost entirely by grinding the 61-70 stuff and it was great.

Dusk Vigil, Sohm Al, and The Avery are all pretty rear end in comparison. Not even as good as the ARR 50/60s. They feel closer to some of the less interesting ARR leveling ones.

There's definitely stuff to say about those and the least interesting (Toto, AV, Neverreap), but picking a favorite is pretty hard. There's a lot to choose from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
That reminds me.

Favorite dungeons in FFXIV would be, in order of me remembering them:

Castrum Abania because I am a big FF6 nerd and it's pretty much the Magitek Research Facility Redux
Fractal Continuum (both modes) because of the music and it being an Allagan museum.
Hullbreaker HM because of the music, especially what plays during the last boss. It practically oozes 'silent determination.'
Sohm Al HM because of the music
and Baelsar's Wall/Keeper of the lake for going through Garlean stuff and fighting Garlean enemies.

My two least favorite dungeons are Neverreap and Hell's Lid for the exact same reason: EX roulette kept sticking me in them instead of Fractal :argh:

Zokari posted:

Bet it's as meaningful as the magia board, which I'm pretty sure only exists to trick people into thinking Eureka might be interesting when you first get there.

The Magia Board becomes a bit more interesting when your max level and you're actively going to farm Wraiths and have to actually put some thought into it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I mostly rank favourite dungeons by best music. In no real order:

Keeper of the Lake
Bardam's Mettle
Doma Castle
Castrum Abania
Sohm Al
Fractal (Hard)
Hell's Lid
ARF

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
I've always been partial to Saint Mocianne's Arboretum. It's beautiful and has some of the very best glamour stuff in the game. I'm still using three of the tops from there in glamour sets.

Also, I think I'm going to finish leveling BLM now that I have a melee job I can stand playing. How should I be using it in the mid-50s? I understand the basic idea of using Fire III and Blizzard III to switch mode when possible, but I don't quite seem to get when to use Flare, and where Thunder fits into the rotation. Regardless, the job kind of has me on the hook, since I just got the cool looking i110 rod.

one might question the wisdom of standing on top of a tower in a thunderstorm.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I've only been in Mocianne's once, the queue for it seems hellacious. Am I just having lovely queues or what?

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Nessus posted:

I've only been in Mocianne's once, the queue for it seems hellacious. Am I just having lovely queues or what?

You might consider grabbing a friend and just unsyncing it for glamour runs. It'd be faster than doing it solo and with a friend you can actually pass up any gear drops you don't care for.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I've always been partial to Saint Mocianne's Arboretum.

The music from that dungeon is my go to de-stress music. Always happy to get it when it popped up in Ex roulette as well.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Solitair posted:

All my tank sets are yellow when I can dye them. I color-code my gear by suffix (fending, striking, etc.) because I level everything and I wanted to keep better track of them in my armory chest.

My sets are color coded too, blue for tank, red for dps and green for healer, since that's the colors the roles have in the party icons :D
Exception being that ranged dps is pink and casters are purple, because i figured they wear different stuff and well are different from melee.

Choyi fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 9, 2018

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cythereal posted:

But beneath our thoughts and memories is our soul, and amnesia doesn't change that. Yotsuyu never showed a hint of remorse. Never showed the slightest bit of sympathy towards anyone. I still think executing her would be entirely justified, especially since you just know that her real memories are still there, just buried. That's how amnesia plots work. I think amnesia is a terrible plot device unless it's used at the start of a character's arc and part of that arc is figuring out their past and reacting to it. If the writers want me to feel Yotsuyu deserves redemption, she can start earning it any time.

loving yikes dude.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nessus posted:

50/60 is the least rewarding roulette so the queues on all of those are not great.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

homeless snail posted:

50/60 is the least rewarding roulette so the queues on all of those are not great.

Don't understand why the exp for 50/60 is so loving bad. Seems hilariously undertuned.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Nessus posted:

I see it in PF sometimes for glam runs because it has those Plague Doctor/Bringer sets.

Nessus posted:

I still haven't done all the ARR hards myself, I wish they had a wonder tails sticker this time around.
You can just solo them if your are at lvl 70 (even at level 60, I think), the only exception is Stone Vigil (Hard).

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

loving yikes dude.

The death penalty... is actually bad???

:thunk:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Dead people don't learn from their mistakes.

Especially when those mistakes kill them.

Study hard. Stay alive.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
It would be pretty dramatically hypocritical for the warrior of light to take this stance, but: killing is badong.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mordiceius posted:

Don't understand why the exp for 50/60 is so loving bad. Seems hilariously undertuned.
When was it instituted? I wouldn't be shocked if there was a similar thing once 5.0, "Yotsuyu's Dominatrix Dango Festival" is released.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Nessus posted:

When was it instituted? I wouldn't be shocked if there was a similar thing once 5.0, "Yotsuyu's Dominatrix Dango Festival" is released.

It was a Heavensward launch feature, I think. Took the place of a roulette just called "High Level Roulette" if I remember correctly? It's been a while.

Legit I hope they implement the raid roulette in the next major patch, given that it's all sequential content it's sometimes rough to even get a group for the previous tier. We had to make a beggars PF group to get a newbie past o2n a weekday evening on aether.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Mordiceius posted:

It's kind of bizarre, especially since 50/60 includes stuff like Keeper of the Lake and Antitower that are required as part of the MSQ. Not to mention old relic/anima stuff and Wondrous Tails.

Also, apparently BLM gets the cool poses that SMN doesn't. please tell me how to :gitgud: with it, I think it got lost in people yelling at Cythereal

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Susat posted:

Legit I hope they implement the raid roulette in the next major patch, given that it's all sequential content it's sometimes rough to even get a group for the previous tier. We had to make a beggars PF group to get a newbie past o2n a weekday evening on aether.
Yes, please.

But I guess they would have to exclude Coils or make some normal/unsynced version.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Nope, have everyone struggle on coil constantly, that’ll learn them pubbies

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

It's kind of bizarre, especially since 50/60 includes stuff like Keeper of the Lake and Antitower that are required as part of the MSQ. Not to mention old relic/anima stuff and Wondrous Tails.

Also, apparently BLM gets the cool poses that SMN doesn't. please tell me how to :gitgud: with it, I think it got lost in people yelling at Cythereal

Here's a pretty comprehensive BLM guide for when you eventually hit max level, https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jwA4kzXgnHF7gjUxY5E90zOQdyBW1F13MVUTk-aJZY4/edit

Some basic tips I can offer while leveling are:
Make sure you order your Ice phase Thunder -> Blizzard / Blizzard 4 (When you get it) in order to preserve the MP required to fit an extra fire and still have enough mana to cast blizzard 3 and restart your Ice cycle again.

Save thundercloud procs for when you need to move, or are casting it in Ice, if you're sub 60 (And thus don't have fire 4) it's more DPS than a fire 1 cast so use Thundercloud procs freely.

Flare has a minimum mana requirement, You get a trait that lets you do two flares in a fire cycle eventually, but while you're leveling you'll be able to do 3 fire II's and a flare at the end for your AOE rotation. Two Flares if you convert after the first.

Swiftcast is a useful recovery tool for when you need to save astral fire/umbral ice, I like to keep it on a panic button for goofs, but better BLMs than I will use it for a dps increase or to strategically manage uptime in a fight.

E: also since you're 50, make this macro! Getting used to Aetherial Manipulation early is key to cheating out dps and avoiding death. It's especially ridiculous since the buff that reduced it from 30 seconds to 10 seconds.
code:
/micon "Aetherial Manipulation"
/merror off
/ac "Aetherial Manipulation" <mo>
/ac "Aetherial Manipulation" <t>

Susat fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Apr 9, 2018

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm torn on BLM. The sub-50 AoE rotation (and solo target) feels so good once you get the shortened Fire/Bliz3 casts. But then you get to 50, and Flare has this huge 4 second cast time, and then you need to transpose after it, and stand around doing nothing for 2 and a half seconds to wait for your first mana tick, and then you're on 1/3 umbral so you don't even have the shortened Fire3 cast, and everything feels so long and inefficient and gross.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TheHeadSage posted:

The music from that dungeon is my go to de-stress music. Always happy to get it when it popped up in Ex roulette as well.

Snowcloak for me in that regard.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 9, 2018

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Die Sexmonster! posted:

The death penalty... is actually bad???

:thunk:

:ssh:

it's a videogame character and eorzea is not real life dude

you are personally responsible for like 2 dozen people getting executed less than 50 quests into the main quest btw

if you didn't "save" them from ifrit they'd have at least been able to go on living even if they were under ifrit's control

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Cythereal posted:

But beneath our thoughts and memories is our soul, and amnesia doesn't change that. Yotsuyu never showed a hint of remorse. Never showed the slightest bit of sympathy towards anyone. I still think executing her would be entirely justified, especially since you just know that her real memories are still there, just buried. That's how amnesia plots work. I think amnesia is a terrible plot device unless it's used at the start of a character's arc and part of that arc is figuring out their past and reacting to it. If the writers want me to feel Yotsuyu deserves redemption, she can start earning it any time.

I used to like it when sprouts posted their impressions from the MSQ.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Yotsuyu....didn't go far enough :twisted:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Before you get too trigger-happy, do remember that the large number of Domans still in Garlean custody, either through conscription or as prisoners also limits the amount of "justice" you can start metering out on captured Garleans/Garlean agents.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Mirthless posted:

if you didn't "save" them from ifrit they'd have at least been able to go on living even if they were under ifrit's control
They were basically zombies at that point.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Mirthless posted:

:ssh:

it's a videogame character and eorzea is not real life dude

you are personally responsible for like 2 dozen people getting executed less than 50 quests into the main quest btw

Those who have been tempered have already suffered the death of the self and their sole purpose in life is forcing others into the same.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Yotsuyu is the good guy and getting revenge for what they did to her is what I'm saying. And she gets the bonus happy ending of not remembering it. Win-win.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Before you get too trigger-happy, do remember that the large number of Domans still in Garlean custody, either through conscription or as prisoners also limits the amount of "justice" you can start metering out on captured Garleans/Garlean agents.

Like the Empire is really going to just hand them over, I thought the end of 4.2 made that perfectly clear. And if they do, I fully expect them to be mind controlled or mutated or some such, courtesy of the mad scientist guy you kill in Ala Mhigo.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 9, 2018

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Shere posted:

The whole penta-meld thing on the Eureka gear is a trap. It's more expensive than it's worth to meld it out and even optimally melded still clocks in worse than the 360 tome gear.

In essence you're buying into what the gear will be in the next step, or doing like me and getting a class that was stuck back in the 310-320 days up to 350.

edit: or optimally not doing Eureka at all.

And a full set of tome gear will take several months to complete. Eureka left side and tone right is probably the fastest gear up route in the game that doesn’t cost millions of gil.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cythereal posted:

Convenient amnesia or no, Yotsuyu was a sadistic tyrant who killed people for giggles and bemoaned slaughtering kojin who worked for her because it wasn't fun like killing Domans. She does not loving deserve anything but death.

This is why I hate amnesia as a plot device. I completely agree with you, but at the same time Tsuyu technically isn't really Yotsuyu. It seems like an easy, sweep under the rug fix for her narratively, though, and I hate it. At least Fordola had to choose to do the right thing when presented with the option. Yotsuyu is being redeemed by virtue of forgetting how much she hates everyone, before undoubtedly getting her memories back and being affected by their time together.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

As was mentioned, it isn't a redemption. For all intents and purposes Yotsuyu died in the castle and Tsuyu is a different character. The amnesia plot allows them to explore some very raw and conflicted feelings about this from other characters and open up the possibility that Yotsuyu suddenly reappears later. I agree though that amnesia as a plot device tends to be awkward and cliche even at it's best though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cythereal posted:

She did nothing wrong. She was betrayed by Doman society twice over and sold into sexual slavery as many times.Hein might say he'll learn from how hosed up Doma was, but his second in command doesn't and won't. Yugiri and Gotestu are confronted by the man who was responsible for holding her in sexual slavery and their reaction was "Well there you go lad, we'll get you a better assignment." The fact that he was allowed to walk out alive from that scene proves the moral failings of the heads of Doman state.

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by
how much oGCD weaving does a standard Bard rotation have? I've heard conflicting opinions on how playable Bard is on an AU/high latency connection.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Ohtsam posted:

If you're doing eureka enough to finish a full gear set, you will very likely have all the materia you need with no issue just by cracking open the lockboxes.

Yes but then you get into the opportunity cost of using that materia vs selling it for gil. Or just saving it for good gear.

E: Aside from openers you just do poo poo inbetween your straight shot/refulgent arrow. Mostly Bloodletter or Pitch Perfect and Bards typically don't go for SS to begin with due to the God Stat of Critical Hit.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 9, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

She did nothing wrong. She was betrayed by Doman society twice over and sold into sexual slavery as many times.Hein might say he'll learn from how hosed up Doma was, but his second in command doesn't and won't. Yugiri and Gotestu are confronted by the man who was responsible for holding her in sexual slavery and their reaction was "Well there you go lad, we'll get you a better assignment." The fact that he was allowed to walk out alive from that scene proves the moral failings of the heads of Doman state.

And none of that excuses Yotsuyu. Yes, Doman society has lots of problems, but that doesn't excuse miss "Slaughtering kojin isn't fun like killing Domans is!" There's a certain point where comically tragic backstories stop justifying evil actions, and Yotsuyu's crossed it in my opinion. Doman society is wrong. So is she.

I sympathize with Yotsuyu and understand why she does what she does. But I do not forgive or excuse her, and nevertheless say off with her head.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 9, 2018

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The concept of a soul and a true self doesn't really make any sense in a setting that acknowledges how brain damage can fundamentally change a person.

I'm not even sure if FF14 operates off of that (Abrahamic) conception of the soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Cythereal posted:

And none of that excuses Yotsuyu. Yes, Doman society has lots of problems, but that doesn't excuse miss "Slaughtering kojin isn't fun like killing Domans is!" There's a certain point where comically tragic backstories stop justifying evil actions, and Yotsuyu's crossed it in my opinion. Doman society is wrong. So is she.

I sympathize with Yotsuyu and understand why she does what she does. But I do not forgive or excuse her, and nevertheless say off with her head.

This is basically how I felt leading up to 4.2 / upon seeing her survive at the end of 4.0 - I absolutely don't want Yotsuyu to get redemption. She's comically evil and her backstory almost felt like a cheap way to try to instill a tragic justification for her actions that had me rolling my eyes a bit. That said, I'm kinda with other people - given her current state, execution is a bit much - I'm also under the strong impression redemption is not in the cards for her.