Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Stringent posted:

No, it's that Americans have a really hosed up way of raising children.

:agreed:

I still can't eat most fish because the only seafood I was ever exposed to as a kid was frozen fish fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
lol you're still a literal child

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Donnerberg posted:

So, I'll be going to Japan with my dad. We've never been to a wrestling match, and we've got tickets for a New Japan event.

I can't tell if there's a dress code. Looking at crowd pics, I see a lot of dudes in white shirts and nice jackets, but that could be people coming straight from work for all I know. Are we fine going in casuals, or should we pack something a bit nicer for the match?

Lol no dress code those are probably dudes arriving from work, esp in Tokyo. You should wear whatever you like, njpw swag or a star wars hoodie, but cosplay might be a little too much.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I also grew up on fish sticks, tuna sandwiches and canned peas but managed to enjoy most foods by adulthood.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

peanut posted:

Lol no dress code those are probably dudes arriving from work, esp in Tokyo. You should wear whatever you like, njpw swag or a star wars hoodie, but cosplay might be a little too much.

Okay. Thank you for saving us from a potential disaster!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

*quietly tucks gimp suit back into suitcase*

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

kuddles posted:

One last annoying question: Is Fuji-q as bad as it sounds online? Was planning on going because I love roller coasters, but it sounds like even if you luck out with weather and it being a quiet weekday, you still basically are either racing to the fastpass box at park opening and spending a fortune or you're stuck in 2+ hour lines.

Wondering about this too. Going in about 2 weeks and I found some calendar that says it is a quiet day, but the 2+ hour waiting line complaints are everywhere on Tripadvisor.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

go early on a weekday

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

peanut posted:

Peanut nailed it, especially weeknight shows it’s guys coming straight from work. You see the same at baseball games.

Bring wrestling shirts if you’d like, if you’re not super-curvy-goon sized you might be able to buy merch shirts there too. They’ll also have stuff like towels and other goodies.

Just be sure to sing along with Minoru Suzuki’s theme and you’ll be fine.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Don’t go to Fuji Q during Golden Week. Avoid that hell. Trust me. :psyboom:

Any other holiday and weekends too actually.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Looking at the rides at Fuji Q made me pass out in fright wtf Japan.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
They're so much fun :allears:

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
In the end I decided to drop the idea of doing Fuji-Q since I'm limited to 12 days and already had to make tough cuts to my plan. Too many factors out of my control that could lead to severe disappointment, like an abnormally windy day. A shame because it's been ages since I managed to go on some crazy rollercoasters, but I'm already looking into paragliding in Taiwan the following week so maybe I'll get my thrills in there.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

kuddles posted:

In the end I decided to drop the idea of doing Fuji-Q since I'm limited to 12 days and already had to make tough cuts to my plan. Too many factors out of my control that could lead to severe disappointment, like an abnormally windy day. A shame because it's been ages since I managed to go on some crazy rollercoasters, but I'm already looking into paragliding in Taiwan the following week so maybe I'll get my thrills in there.

If you're going to be in Tokyo maybe check out Tokyo Dome City, Cosmoworld in Yokohama, Tobu Zoo in Saitama,, Yomiuriland in Tokyo or even Sea Paradise also in Yokohama. Maybe also Joypolis on Odaiba. They're not at the level of Fuji-Q by a long-long-long shot, but do have some decent rides and none of them really need a full-on dedicated day to enjoy. You can just go, ride the coaster(s) wig much shorter or no queues and then continue with your day.

Thunder Dolphin at Tokyo Dome City is apparently one of the tallest coasters of its type in the world and is right in the middle of the city so the views you get whilst on the ride are pretty unique compared to most places.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder_Dolphin

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 10, 2018

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's completely wild because the coaster does overhang on the road.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Phone posted:

It's completely wild because the coaster does overhang on the road.

IT GOES THROUGH A BUILDING

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Decided to check out a Takarazuka show even tho my Japanese level is only n5. Didn't understood half of it, but holy hell what an amazing show.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
They rule.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I finally found out about the car seat thing!! A cop came up to say Hi in the park, he was patrolling the neighborhood for new resident traffic safety something. Our city and our neighboring city are ranked worst in the prefecture for manners, lol. I asked him what the deal was with child seats. Why don't they ticket drivers with kids bouncing around inside? They could pay for the doomed pension system if they really cracked down.

There are rules about using seatbelts and carseats but they're not the actual cause of traffic accidents so there is no penalty fee for violations.

That makes sense but sheesh, crikey!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That looks like a repost but it's not sorry lol

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Alright so I got the Lonely Planet book but I’m still a little unclear on the most efficient way to climb Mt Fuji in August from Tokyo. There’s a bus that runs straight from Shinjuku to the fifth station but it leaves at like 9:00AM, so if you want to hike overnight and see the sunrise it seems like a wasted day because you wouldn’t leave until like 6PM at least. Is it relatively convenient to take a bus to Kawaguchi-ko station and then another bus up to the start of the hike?

Also, if we are flying into Narita, would it be better to do all our Tokyo stuff first and then go straight from Fuji to Kyoto? I’m thinking we will have 6-7 days in Tokyo so I’m trying to figure out how to waste as little time as possible in transit.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
you might be tempted to trade in your shrine orbs for hearts, but you should definitely pump points into your stamina wheel because it'll really open up your ability to explore.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Phone posted:

you might be tempted to trade in your shrine orbs for hearts, but you should definitely pump points into your stamina wheel because it'll really open up your ability to explore.

I wouldn’t even bother without the boots that double your climbing speed

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mons Hubris posted:

Also, if we are flying into Narita, would it be better to do all our Tokyo stuff first and then go straight from Fuji to Kyoto?

Yes. It’s going to take time to get through security and from Narita into civilization the big city - shortest is the Narita Express Train, which takes about 70 mins to get to Tokyo Station. Buses take longer but may be more direct to where you’re staying. So depending on arrival times, that can eat into your time. Plus travel fatigue/jet lag.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Mons Hubris posted:

Alright so I got the Lonely Planet book but I’m still a little unclear on the most efficient way to climb Mt Fuji in August from Tokyo. There’s a bus that runs straight from Shinjuku to the fifth station but it leaves at like 9:00AM, so if you want to hike overnight and see the sunrise it seems like a wasted day because you wouldn’t leave until like 6PM at least. Is it relatively convenient to take a bus to Kawaguchi-ko station and then another bus up to the start of the hike?

Also, if we are flying into Narita, would it be better to do all our Tokyo stuff first and then go straight from Fuji to Kyoto? I’m thinking we will have 6-7 days in Tokyo so I’m trying to figure out how to waste as little time as possible in transit.

Uh, yeah, strongly recommend you start your climb as early in the day as you can, sleep on one of the mountain hotel/huts, and then get up at 1-2 AM to resume your climb to the top.

You are never, ever, ever going to accomplish anything good trying to start at 6 PM.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I've done both (start in morning and start in evening) and either way works. Perfectly reasonable to start late afternoon, turn in for a few hours, then climb the rest of the way. It's also easy to get from the Kawaguchiko train station to the 5th station on the mountain.

One thing to keep in mind is that it is possible to climb too fast. The hut at the top of the mountain doesn't open until 4am, so if you get to the top at 2am you're potentially standing outside for 2 hours. In bad weather this can suck really hard. On the other hand, a lot of places are single file, so if you're stuck behind someone slow, you may not be at the top when the sun rises.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 11, 2018

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Chilling on the 69th floor of the yokohama landmark tower is pretty sweet gotta say.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Nice.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Altitude sickness is real, don't force yourself if you feel unwell, and please take a slow day afterwards.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Looking for some book suggestions: I'd like to read some collections of Japanese mythology, folktales, legends etc.. I'm mostly interested in classical stories through the Meiji period. Commentary and historical notes would be a great extra, but I'd like to approach it from the story-telling Grandma angle rather than pure academic information. Any hot tips?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

try to find bootlegs of the kid's anime ふるさと 昔ばなし on youtube

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

BioTech posted:

Wondering about this too. Going in about 2 weeks and I found some calendar that says it is a quiet day, but the 2+ hour waiting line complaints are everywhere on Tripadvisor.

Fuji-Q is almost impressive at how poorly it is run. You'll see a line that would be 30 minutes at a normal theme park have a queue time of 2 hours minimum. It's just so poorly run, they'll send cars out without trying to fill out single seats, and the boarding and unboarding takes an unnecessarily long time since you have to wait for the people to disembark, take the stuff from the storage lockers, leave the platform, then see the next group put their stuff in the lockers, and then be put in. It's absurd, and from what I remember they only run one car at a time. Even on weekdays during non-busy seasons you'd better be prepared to pay for fastpass tickets or you'll never be able to ride everything you want to.

It's a real shame because the rides are fantastic, I'm really amazed that management seems to have no interest in improving the queue system.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Original_Z posted:

Fuji-Q is almost impressive at how poorly it is run. You'll see a line that would be 30 minutes at a normal theme park have a queue time of 2 hours minimum. It's just so poorly run, they'll send cars out without trying to fill out single seats, and the boarding and unboarding takes an unnecessarily long time since you have to wait for the people to disembark, take the stuff from the storage lockers, leave the platform, then see the next group put their stuff in the lockers, and then be put in. It's absurd, and from what I remember they only run one car at a time. Even on weekdays during non-busy seasons you'd better be prepared to pay for fastpass tickets or you'll never be able to ride everything you want to.

It's a real shame because the rides are fantastic, I'm really amazed that management seems to have no interest in improving the queue system.

Japanese people. LOVE. QUEUING.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

sale on Banksy art posted:

Japanese people. LOVE. QUEUING.

I waited in line for two hours to buy curry popcorn!

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I'm the kind of guy who goes "eh, gently caress this" if the line looks 10 minutes long so that will definitely be the hardest part of my Japan trip by far.

I already arranged my itinerary so that I'm not in Kyoto or Tokyo during the weekend so hopefully that will help.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

kuddles posted:

I'm the kind of guy who goes "eh, gently caress this" if the line looks 10 minutes long so that will definitely be the hardest part of my Japan trip by far.

I already arranged my itinerary so that I'm not in Kyoto or Tokyo during the weekend so hopefully that will help.

be prepared to get hungry cuz thats like every restaurant worth a drat

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Magna Kaser posted:

be prepared to get hungry cuz thats like every restaurant worth a drat

Gotta take issue with this. It's true of a lot of the really exceptional places, but you'll have a hard time finding a bad meal in Tokyo, lines or not.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Stringent posted:

Gotta take issue with this. It's true of a lot of the really exceptional places, but you'll have a hard time finding a bad meal in Tokyo, lines or not.

That’s probably true. Whenever i am in Tokyo I’m queuing a lot cuz I wanna eat the crazy stuff, but I do not mind waiting 10-15 minutes to eat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I only stood in line once in Tokyo. It was Abe's fault. The food was okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Don't listen to Abe about food in Tokyo.