Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Ashcans posted:

I thought they brought it in house when they left Coat d'arms, did they just go to another place?

Nah, the garbage "boltgun shell" bottle paints were contracted to Windsor & Newton, then they went in-house after that, and THEN they changed to the current line of weirdo paints.

PS use reaper, Vallejo, AP and Coat D'arms/Privateer paints and you can't go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

ijyt posted:

An alternative I’ve heard is spray matte varnish, sprinkling the pigment on as it dries, then sealing again with matte varnish.

This except don't varnish after, so you maintain that dusty look

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

This except don't varnish after, so you maintain that dusty look

I varnished after and the dusty look is maintained. :c00lbert:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It took me awhile but I finished my Hearthgut Hooch Hauler for my Trollbloods. Lighting is blowing out my OSL a little bit, unfortunately a model this big gets too close to the lights!

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
Jesus. And I was proud I was painting a bones mouseling a day. That's fantastic.

I have a question - I'm super bad at keeping brushes in good shape. Even following directions and cleaning them religiously and rinsing often, I find I still get all my tips to start curving after a while. Is that an issue with the types of synthetic brushes I've been buying at Michaels and I just need to upgrade, or am I the problem and I need to get my poo poo together before buying anything more expensive?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Synthetics tips will bend no matter how well you maintain them. You'll want to get some Kolinsky Sable. They're known to keep their tips forever if you take care of them. You just need to be sure you don't get paint into the ferrule otherwise they begin to split.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 8, 2018

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Are there any good Farm vehicle/tractor kits?

Something like a gunpla but tractors. I need to vent some autism

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Jesus. And I was proud I was painting a bones mouseling a day. That's fantastic.

I have a question - I'm super bad at keeping brushes in good shape. Even following directions and cleaning them religiously and rinsing often, I find I still get all my tips to start curving after a while. Is that an issue with the types of synthetic brushes I've been buying at Michaels and I just need to upgrade, or am I the problem and I need to get my poo poo together before buying anything more expensive?

Synthetic tips generally always curl. The secret to getting them to last longer is actually how you paint with it, in addition to how you clean it after. If you are stabbing it into recesses at all expect it to bend immediately. You need to carefully side stroke it. Same when cleaning. Once you bend it, it pretty much stays bent. Of course there is always some flex of the tip to painting so it will curl up anyway.

Or, as mentioned, get real kolinsky sable brushes. Also don't stab them, but they will pretty much not curl on you. If you do need to stab into recesses for fast base coating or blocking in, use really really cheap brushes instead of the 'nice' synthetics because who cares.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Painted a thing, can't quite figure out my light situation so it doesn't look so blown out.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

bonds0097 posted:

Painted a thing, can't quite figure out my light situation so it doesn't look so blown out.

Looks awesome, love the complentary colors.

That glare seems like it's almost getting direct sunlight for the left. You could try setting up another light source like a lamp on the right side.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Booyah- posted:

Looks awesome, love the complentary colors.

That glare seems like it's almost getting direct sunlight for the left. You could try setting up another light source like a lamp on the right side.

Thanks, I definitely enjoyed contrasting the purple with warmer tones.

This is my light setup:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

Thanks, I definitely enjoyed contrasting the purple with warmer tones.

This is my light setup:

Pull your lights further from the diffusion and you should end up with significantly less glare

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone here have any good recommendations on scenic trees? specifically I'm looking at the 4Ground tree sets. They seem quite nice if a bit pricey.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I spent the weekend working on my AT-ST.

Any comments or suggestions?

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Finished my first little project for a while in doing my friend's Tau SC box. ignore the lack of basing, as he'll be doing it himself.

I'm finding smaller chunks of self contained army to be more conducive to progress, so I'll be doing the Shadespire Orks box next.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Grey Hunter posted:

I spent the weekend working on my AT-ST.

Any comments or suggestions?

Is this the one from ImpAss, or from Legion? Either way, it's looking really grimy and well-weathered. Nice job!

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Those pots were only good for terrain.

I've got a box of 30 or so at my mum's house, checked them a month ago and there's still loads that are liquid inside...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

xpost from the 40k thread.

Finished a Dreadnought I won two months ago in an auction. Quickest turn around time from purchase to completion so far I think. :v:

Just a shame I couldn't find the Space Wolf Venerable Dreadnought CCW arm in a bitz shop.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Airbrush dilemma: I bent the needle and the nozzle cracked so I bought new ones and installed them yesterday. It operated fine (my friend said the spray was narrower but I disagree) until we put a light brown in it. A small amount of air would come out but no paint. Cleaned it out, put a hi flow black in, no issues. Thinned the previous brown down even more, same issue. Tried a brick red and it spidered like crazy. We played with the psi throughout this whole ordeal. Took it apart and cleaned and still had issues. Not sure where to go from here. It's a Masters G22.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
This is only tangentially related, but this thread is where I learned about future floor vanish,

What top coat would be best for something that’s going to get handled a lot? Like a controller mod paint job.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Serenade posted:

This is only tangentially related, but this thread is where I learned about future floor vanish,

What top coat would be best for something that’s going to get handled a lot? Like a controller mod paint job.
In general, gloss coats tend to be more durable than matte coats. If you like a matte finish but also want durability, I'd apply a gloss coat sealer first (or even two), then a matte coat afterwards. As for what product, there are a variety. Krylon has a gloss finish that I've had good luck with, and for a matte finisher you can't go wrong with Testor's Dull-Cote.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

Ilor posted:

In general, gloss coats tend to be more durable than matte coats. If you like a matte finish but also want durability, I'd apply a gloss coat sealer first (or even two), then a matte coat afterwards. As for what product, there are a variety. Krylon has a gloss finish that I've had good luck with, and for a matte finisher you can't go wrong with Testor's Dull-Cote.

But when layered properly, they’re all fine for intense hand holding?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cat Face Joe posted:

Airbrush dilemma: I bent the needle and the nozzle cracked so I bought new ones and installed them yesterday. It operated fine (my friend said the spray was narrower but I disagree) until we put a light brown in it. A small amount of air would come out but no paint. Cleaned it out, put a hi flow black in, no issues. Thinned the previous brown down even more, same issue. Tried a brick red and it spidered like crazy. We played with the psi throughout this whole ordeal. Took it apart and cleaned and still had issues. Not sure where to go from here. It's a Masters G22.

I've had the same issue and I chalk it up to the paint - my problem was with Army Painter's bone color. No matter how thin it was, I couldn't get it to push through the brush. No problems with other colors though, so all I can think of is that AP isn't using as fine a pigment as other brands.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Serenade posted:

But when layered properly, they’re all fine for intense hand holding?

Oh, you're painting on a PS4 controller or something? Acrylics might not be your best option?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Is this the one from ImpAss, or from Legion? Either way, it's looking really grimy and well-weathered. Nice job!

Legion. It's the largest thing I've ever printed.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

Oh, you're painting on a PS4 controller or something? Acrylics might not be your best option?

Switch Pro Controller specifically, but yeah. I’d think sand, prime, paint, top coat would work if and only if:
• the top coat doesn’t interact with the paint badly
• the top coat survives use

The guides I see about controller modding often just say “use spray paint” and “use clear coat”. Meanwhile, I’m sitting here with four kinds of top coat unable to deduce which exactly they mean.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

X-post

Hixson posted:

Most of you nerds have already seen these but heres some more guys I painted

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

glitchkrieg posted:

I've got a box of 30 or so at my mum's house, checked them a month ago and there's still loads that are liquid inside...

Sell them.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Got my GemsOnDisplay case. 1 tray holds 66 32mm bases.

Case would hold about 700 Marines... I need to get it all magnetized and measure how many I need to double stack for tall minis.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Speaking of Future Polish, what is the name it goes by in the States as of now? I was looking for it and couldn't find any of that name.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Pledge Floorcare with Future or something

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone have any tips for airbrushing models on sprue? Or at least pre assembly. Thinking of doing the main bottom and the sides of my Dark Eldar Raider still on sprue just to make everything easier to access.

Do you just scrape off and repay her the sprue marks? Or should you always de-sprue and trim first, then assembly after painting?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Cut off and clean up as many sprue joins as possible before it just falls off the sprue. Leave any that are going to be hidden after assembly.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

dexefiend posted:

Got my GemsOnDisplay case. 1 tray holds 66 32mm bases.

Case would hold about 700 Marines... I need to get it all magnetized and measure how many I need to double stack for tall minis.

Someone is going to be super disappointed when they break into your car to steal that...

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I never have time to play, so ... very low likelihood it would be taken like that.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Eifert Posting posted:

Someone is going to be super disappointed when they break into your car to steal that...

Someone could make a killing making miniature cases that look like bullshit no one would want to steal

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Are the solid aluminum cases worth the cost? I saw they have a canvas one on that web site linked that is a whoooole bunch cheaper.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Serenade posted:

I was actually recommended Spraymax 2K clear by one of the bigger controller painters (Mute City Customs, iirc). It's basically industrial clear coat for cars and poo poo, but a major issue is you only have 2 days, maaaaaybe 3if you're lucky, before the contents fully chemically mix inside the spray can, rendering it useless. There's also MAJOR health risks if used carelessly, since the poo poo has isocyanates in it (so check out the proper safety precautions before even ordering any). All that aside, it works like a loving dream, and I haven't heard of any issues when applied correctly.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Aniodia posted:

I was actually recommended Spraymax 2K clear by one of the bigger controller painters (Mute City Customs, iirc). It's basically industrial clear coat for cars and poo poo, but a major issue is you only have 2 days, maaaaaybe 3if you're lucky, before the contents fully chemically mix inside the spray can, rendering it useless. There's also MAJOR health risks if used carelessly, since the poo poo has isocyanates in it (so check out the proper safety precautions before even ordering any). All that aside, it works like a loving dream, and I haven't heard of any issues when applied correctly.

I used their stuff when I painted the roll pan on my pickup and it's really great paint and clear. Definitely need a respirator though. They have amazing nozzles on the cans too, pattern like you're shooting out of a thousand dollar sata, lays smooth as glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Harkano posted:

Anyone have any tips for airbrushing models on sprue? Or at least pre assembly. Thinking of doing the main bottom and the sides of my Dark Eldar Raider still on sprue just to make everything easier to access.

Do you just scrape off and repay her the sprue marks? Or should you always de-sprue and trim first, then assembly after painting?

I make subassemblies and then obsessively clean off sprue marks and mold lines as much as possible before priming. What I like to do is glue the subassemblies to lengths of sprue in regions where it won't matter (like the inside of SM shoulder pads or the bottom of feet). That way I can airbrush things quickly before assembling.