Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Does anyone happen to know if either of these two Samsung wireless Fast Chargers (1, 2) support 7.5W delivery for iPhone X? I had one, but have since given it to my mom, I think before they patched in "fast" charging support to the iPhone X. I do remember the packaging being vague about maybe only supporting higher wattage for Samsung devices. Kinda wanna get another one for the stand-up feature. (Also, does it stand up at enough of an angle that I can look over at my phone from bed and unlock it with Face ID?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pivo posted:

Apple threads in a nutshell really

Help! My $4 case for my $800 phone is broken. How to fix????

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

enojy posted:

Does anyone happen to know if either of these two Samsung wireless Fast Chargers (1, 2) support 7.5W delivery for iPhone X? I had one, but have since given it to my mom, I think before they patched in "fast" charging support to the iPhone X. I do remember the packaging being vague about maybe only supporting higher wattage for Samsung devices. Kinda wanna get another one for the stand-up feature. (Also, does it stand up at enough of an angle that I can look over at my phone from bed and unlock it with Face ID?)

It's not "fast" but I have a sister charger to that (it says Samsung Fast Charge come at me bro) and coconutBattery claims with all its heart it's a 6W charger. There are losses with Qi charging so I'm sure it's putting out 7.5W. That's not at all fast.

To actually fast charge your iPhone you need to plug in a USB-PD charger with a USB-C to Lightning adapter. It's not a cheap enterprise. You can't actually fast charge an iPhone wirelessly.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You can't actually charge Samsung devices 'fast' wirelessly either, but just little lies we all tell ourselves until the heat death of the universe

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

enojy posted:

I have an even older Samsung that does 7.5w

The angle on Samsung stands is like 45 degrees which is alright for looking at from your chair at your desk but would be lousy trying to look at fairly level or from below.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dogen posted:

I have an even older Samsung that does 7.5w

The angle on Samsung stands is like 45 degrees which is alright for looking at from your chair at your desk but would be lousy trying to look at fairly level or from below.

Ah okay, thanks! My nightstand is about half a foot below head level while in bed, so I think it may work out. Even otherwise, I just kinda want a stand-up one so I can stop OCD'ing every god drat night I set it on my flat charger and have to arrange it ~perfectly centered~ for whatever reason.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

ratbert90 posted:

Help! My $4 case for my $800 phone is broken. How to fix????

$4 is a lot of money, that's why I just use an old sock.

e: OP I think the only leather case anybody has ever used in this thread is the official Apple one.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Does anyone have experience with the Nomad Horween leather cases? I bought what appears to be a store return on Ebay for $4 and the volume down button is misaligned so the side of the cases presses against it.

I bought one for my iPhone 6 off of the Nomad website for $20 bucks and it's working out great. Buttons are properly aligned and everything.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

enojy posted:

Ah okay, thanks! My nightstand is about half a foot below head level while in bed, so I think it may work out. Even otherwise, I just kinda want a stand-up one so I can stop OCD'ing every god drat night I set it on my flat charger and have to arrange it ~perfectly centered~ for whatever reason.

Stand up Samsung Qi charger owns

idk what the dude is on about with viewing angles etc. it’s perfect for bedside or desk side, easy to line up without a fuss. Face ID works great. Indicator light will flash if it has a bad alignment and not charging, but it’s pretty generous—doesn’t have to be perfectly lined up

Some wireless QI chargers are limited at 5w. When the iPhone 8/X first came out they were limited via firmware to 5w, now 7.5w, but is technically capable to 15w as are the “fast” chargers. It’s not enabled and may never be so a bit moot

Anyway, it’ll be slow anyway, but might as well get the faster one idk 🤷🏽‍♀️

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
My nightstand is like level with my face so to be fair it’s impossible to look over there without the phone being perpendicular. Like I said works fine on the desk. I just have a puck type one on my nightstand.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

$4 is a lot of money, that's why I just use an old sock.

Back in the brick phone days my parents literally did this. Well, not an old sock. It was a relatively new wool hiking sock. Worked great!

Thinking there's an untapped market here, iSocks needs to be a thing.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

xzzy posted:

Back in the brick phone days my parents literally did this. Well, not an old sock. It was a relatively new wool hiking sock. Worked great!

Thinking there's an untapped market here, iSocks needs to be a thing.

uhhhhhh

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Didn’t the iPad nano quite literally have a sock that the Apple store sold? Or one of the iPods? Almost positive it was a legit thing for a bit there

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You used to be able to buy an official Apple-brand sock to hold your iPod.

edit: perhaps :thejoke:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lol if you don’t put your iPhone in an Apple orange leather case

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

We don't really talk about it ...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah I had no idea that was a commercial thing actually sold.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I’m gonna catch hell for this but a guy I work with got a case for his phone that looks like a Gameboy and you can actually play games on it. I kinda want one

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I wouldn’t fret too much over not having a 7.5W charger.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I just use the charger that came with my iPad Pro with my iPhone, and it charges the phone plenty fast. Would recommend. Wireless charging is bad unless you do it on your desk at work.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Godzilla07 posted:

Okay, MacRumors, we need to have a talk about making figures...

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

fourwood posted:

Okay, MacRumors, we need to have a talk about making figures...
That took me a while to grok

Dogen
May 5, 2002

BottleKnight posted:

I just use the charger that came with my iPad Pro with my iPhone, and it charges the phone plenty fast. Would recommend. Wireless charging is bad unless you do it on your desk at work.

Or overnight on your nightstand

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Does the W1 chip allow me to switch seamlessly between iOS devices? Like, switch sound from an iPhone to an iPad? It’s a first world problem for sure but I’d really love not having to repair wireless headphones between the two.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

BottleKnight posted:

Does the W1 chip allow me to switch seamlessly between iOS devices? Like, switch sound from an iPhone to an iPad? It’s a first world problem for sure but I’d really love not having to repair wireless headphones between the two.

Yes. You just select the audio source as your AirPods. Once you sync with an iOS device it registers on all the devices with your account. Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, macs

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

benisntfunny posted:

Yes. You just select the audio source as your AirPods. Once you sync with an iOS device it registers on all the devices with your account. Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, macs

The AirPods don’t fit me at all but this is a major selling point for a pair of beats.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

if you're logged into iCloud

it's not magic, it's iCloud

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I’m gonna catch hell for this but a guy I work with got a case for his phone that looks like a Gameboy and you can actually play games on it. I kinda want one

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/7/17207496/game-boy-iphone-case-wanle-gamers-console-review

this? it looks awful! just buy a Nintendo Switch

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BottleKnight posted:

The AirPods don’t fit me at all but this is a major selling point for a pair of beats.

I have BeatsX and switch between iPhone and iPad all the time. Works great.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

It’s just one of those 9999-in-1 LCD block games you can get at the dollar store. Also yes, buy God’s perfect console, the Nintendo Switch.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

I already did!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I already did!

Now tape your iPhone to it, voila: gamecase!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Stand up Samsung Qi charger owns

idk what the dude is on about with viewing angles etc. it’s perfect for bedside or desk side, easy to line up without a fuss. Face ID works great. Indicator light will flash if it has a bad alignment and not charging, but it’s pretty generous—doesn’t have to be perfectly lined up

Some wireless QI chargers are limited at 5w. When the iPhone 8/X first came out they were limited via firmware to 5w, now 7.5w, but is technically capable to 15w as are the “fast” chargers. It’s not enabled and may never be so a bit moot

Anyway, it’ll be slow anyway, but might as well get the faster one idk 🤷🏽‍♀️

Yea, it's working out alright in bed if I just roll over and angle my face appropriately. Much easier to "set it and forget it" rather than a flat pad. The only silly thing is it has a "multicolored" LED light on it, that only lights up red it seems. Thinking red might mean bad, I check the manual and google to no avail -- no mention of what colors it may turn (2018 model.) I know older Samsung ones turned blue for 5W and green for 9W, but this one just seems to turn red. Regardless, it does charge my phone, so who cares.

BottleKnight posted:

W1 device pairing seems pretty seamless for iOS-specific devices. When branching out into other Apple products (e.g. Apple TV, macOS) it becomes just a touch more involved. They do seem to prefer the last device they were connected to, meaning if you were to use them on your iPhone, put them away, then later try to use them on your iPad, you may or may not need to manually select the output source (lil radio wave button.) No need to do anything more than that, though -- they associate with your iCloud account, so you'll never find yourself having to go into the Bluetooth menu for pairing purposes (as long as those devices are associated with the same iCloud account.)

In my uses, I most often use them on my phone. If I put them away and then later use them again consecutively on my iPhone, they automatically connect. If I want them to work on my Apple TV, I have to hold the play/pause button on the home screen to change audio output to the AirPods. Likewise, on the MacBook Pro, I have to right click the audio icon in the toolbar and select AirPods. This pseudo-repairing process becomes necessary any time I use them on a different device than the previous one I used (e.g. if I use them on my Apple TV two sessions in a row, they will also automatically connect with no fuss.) A few clicks here and there, but otherwise, as seamless as Bluetooth is going to get, I guess.

enojy fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 9, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Godzilla07 posted:

That is the worse graph I’ve ever seen, and that’s saying a lot considering this fox news one exists.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Godzilla07 posted:

Graph aside it’s worth noting that the wireless charging speed is only limited by firmware up to 15w I think? They’re probably waiting for the AirPower mat to drop before they up it anymore imo

Also where the gently caress is that mat. Apple really gaffed up that part imo

Hey check out these new wireless devices btw here’s absolutely no info about wireless charging just wait until we get our mat out btw he’s some 3rd party “licensed” charging that’ll also do the watch!!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Anyone seen this? The control centre now isn't coming down on my X except if the screen is locked. The notification pane just goes down instead.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

has anyone updated their SE to the new iOS? if so, issues?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

iajanus posted:

Anyone seen this? The control centre now isn't coming down on my X except if the screen is locked. The notification pane just goes down instead.

If you reset your phone and it’s still doing that... sucks. But no it doesn’t happen to me.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Abel Wingnut posted:

has anyone updated their SE to the new iOS? if so, issues?

You mean 11? Or 11.4?

It works fine on iOS 11. As buggy as any iPhone but less room in your pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Also where the gently caress is that mat. Apple really gaffed up that part imo

Hey check out these new wireless devices btw here’s absolutely no info about wireless charging just wait until we get our mat out btw he’s some 3rd party “licensed” charging that’ll also do the watch!!

Yeah Im waiting for both mat and airpod wireless charge