Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Caganer posted:

Fiance [28m] is upset that I [22f] spent more money on our toddler [2m] than him. He hid the stuff as a retaliation. I don't know why he's acting like this?Relationships
(self.relationships)

How the gently caress did that baby reach two years old with its dad having no idea how much baby stuff costs

Edit: Or without dad throwing a tantrum sooner than this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure posted:

That's fair. My addiction is diet cola. I hate coffee, like fizzy drinks, and I need the caffeine. It still lets me get my poo poo done without running down the street naked and tearing my skin off of my face.

I mean I volley around weight-wise so essentially I just know the diet and the cycle never end. It’s always within the normal range (sometimes underweight but rarely these days). I admit the idea of not worrying about food at all is... incredible

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

loquacius posted:

Unrelated: who the gently caress gets their engagement ring "checked" to make sure it's as expensive as their fiance claimed it was

Lol yeah that stuck out to me too. Who would do that

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Caganer posted:

Fiance [28m] is upset that I [22f] spent more money on our toddler [2m] than him. He hid the stuff as a retaliation. I don't know why he's acting like this?Relationships
(self.relationships)

Well this sounds like a healthy relationship built on trust.

Milky Joe
Feb 21, 2007

Comin atcha like a beam, like a ray, like a rooster, like a goose trapped in the rafters of a barn in Shropshire

Bogus Adventure posted:

And I'm standing by mine as you clearly didn't read what I first wrote:

You replied with:

So you started by saying it's easy to stop drinking, but beating sugar addiction is hard because 1) it's in a lot of processed foods, and 2) you need to eat.

I replied with:

You replied with:

After you said it's easy to avoid drinking alcohol, you seem to counter it by saying it's difficult for alcoholics to avoid food and drinks with alcohol in them. You also jumped from me saying "avoid processed foods" to the conclusion that I meant "don't eat too much." That's not what I said or implied at all, but a nice strawman for you attack.

I also realize I'm engaging too much with maskenfreiheit.

Oh my god. Shut up.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

Unrelated: who the gently caress gets their engagement ring "checked" to make sure it's as expensive as their fiance claimed it was

The kind of person that would have a kid with and accept a proposal from the kind of guy who announces the cash value of a gift.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The diamond and jeweler industries have put a lot of effort into trying to convince people that how much a man loves his fiancee is directly proportional to how much money he spends on a shiny rock that a child died to harvest when he proposes to her, and a lot of people have always been very ready to hear this for some reason

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
She says "kids" but only talks about the 2 year old is that a typo or is there another kid?

Also diet soda is indeed awesome. Dieting is hard, the only reason I started was because I got food poisoning and literally couldn't eat anything or drink more than a sip for a whole day without vomiting, and then for the next few days I ate less food than normal and continued like that until I lost about 50-60 pounds.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

dudeness posted:

She says "kids" but only talks about the 2 year old is that a typo or is there another kid?

Also diet soda is indeed awesome. Dieting is hard, the only reason I started was because I got food poisoning and literally couldn't eat anything or drink more than a sip for a whole day without vomiting, and then for the next few days I ate less food than normal and continued like that until I lost about 50-60 pounds.

She says in the comments that she's 8 months pregnant so she's probably hosed

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib

Buzkashi posted:

She says in the comments that she's 8 months pregnant so she's probably hosed

Well yeah, that's normally how you get pregnant.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

loquacius posted:

Buying a $5,000 engagement ring is in fact a bad sign, and a bad decision, and not something to be proud of

Engagement rings break people's brains

I'm really glad I only paid a few hundred for my ring, because when my fiancee (who was cheating on me) dumped me she tossed it somewhere and I've never found it.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Pick posted:

I wish I could find the link, but I read an article I thought was interesting on how heft is the “nurturer’s vice” because you can have an addiction that doesn’t impact your ability to care for others (until you’re at extreme levels). The overworked mom can eat 20 donuts and still get her kids to school safely. Can’t really do that on crack or booze.

Lol, yes fat people are just too nurturing and loving that is their true fault.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Dieting is hard but there are Places to Find Help such as letting you know which foods trick your body into thinking you’re getting nourishment. You can make a grilled cheese sandwich with about 100 calories in it. You can make a bowl of pasta with like 50. It sucks and makes you feel you’re in a parallel world where food is bad but it sort of works.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I’m not saying it’s good I’m saying it’s a very functional addiction compared to most so very tempting

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm really glad I only paid a few hundred for my ring, because when my fiancee (who was cheating on me) dumped me she tossed it somewhere and I've never found it.

Even if this doesn't happen, which it very well might, what if the person wearing your priceless declaration of True Love gets mugged or loses it while jogging or drops it in a sewer drain or etc etc etc. Would they want another one which costs as much or more?

I personally just did some research, found out which Diamond Stats were most important and which ones you could compromise on to what extent, and got a min-maxed Canadian diamond that nobody died for and which cost me, well, still more than I was really comfortable spending on a shiny bauble, because my wife had made it clear she wanted an actual diamond

It's a hosed-up industry guys

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Lol, yes fat people are just too nurturing and loving that is their true fault.

It was basically a weird way to say "getting fat doesn't necessarily/immediately gently caress up your life beyond repair, which is why people with responsibilities are more often fat than addicted to heroin"

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

loquacius posted:

The diamond and jeweler industries have put a lot of effort into trying to convince people that how much a man loves his fiancee is directly proportional to how much money he spends on a shiny rock that a child died to harvest when he proposes to her, and a lot of people have always been very ready to hear this for some reason

It’s the modern dowry

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

Even if this doesn't happen, which it very well might, what if the person wearing your priceless declaration of True Love gets mugged or loses it while jogging or drops it in a sewer drain or etc etc etc. Would they want another one which costs as much or more?

I personally just did some research, found out which Diamond Stats were most important and which ones you could compromise on to what extent, and got a min-maxed Canadian diamond that nobody died for and which cost me, well, still more than I was really comfortable spending on a shiny bauble, because my wife had made it clear she wanted an actual diamond

It's a hosed-up industry guys

You're preaching to the choir, mate

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

The depressing thing to me is that we have studies showing that a) once you've gained weight, it's very difficult to permanently lose it, and b) there is a growing childhood obesity epidemic.

It sounds like the best thing you can do for your child is to keep them as healthy as you can

If people diet and exercise to reach a target weight, only to revert to the unhealthy habits that made them overweight in the first place, it's only natural that the weight will come back.

But yeah, healthy eating and physical activity should be encouraged at a young age. I think schools should teach kids about nutrition too; I don't know what they do nowadays but when I was going through NY public school in the 90s all I knew about nutrition was from the odd food pyramid poster which basically said "avoid candy and fried food; eat lots of bread and pasta"

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
She had to make sure it was a real diamond in case she needs to use it to slice open a glass case, presumably to steal a larger diamond.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Caganer posted:

It’s the modern dowry

hell at least with a dowry someone you know gets a nice cow or donkey

paying too much for an engagement ring just enriches slavelords in the third world

you will never even meet these slavelords

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
You shouldn't need to trick your body into getting nourishment. You could probably eat foods that make you feel full (i.e. lots and lots of fiber). Or do the old peasant trick: eat raw oatmeal and drink water.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

fibblins posted:

If people diet and exercise to reach a target weight, only to revert to the unhealthy habits that made them overweight in the first place, it's only natural that the weight will come back.

But yeah, healthy eating and physical activity should be encouraged at a young age. I think schools should teach kids about nutrition too; I don't know what they do nowadays but when I was going through NY public school in the 90s all I knew about nutrition was from the odd food pyramid poster which basically said "avoid candy and fried food; eat lots of bread and pasta"

Routine is a powerful tool.

They used to have the cool plate that Michelle Obama sponsored, but now that Trump is in charge I'm pretty sure it's just a picture of a McDonald's Happy Meal.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I figured she had it appraised to insure its value.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
Ohhhh yeah, if you want to have a ring insured it has to be appraised

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Actually she had it appraised because he often lies to her. :ughh:

E: I think a pertinent fact would be when they got together, because pregnant at 19 and 25 is pretty sketch.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Modus Pwnens posted:

Lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Modus Pwnens posted:

lol priorities

"the person who just proposed marriage to me lies all the time, soooooooo obviously I got the engagement ring checked after I accepted the proposal, because I'm no fool"

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
And he specifically mentioned the price because he wanted to tell her exactly what she had to one-up when she got him something in return. You know how gifts work.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Modus Pwnens posted:

:ughh:

I think I remember at least one story about a woman having her ring appraised only to find out her fiance lied to her and it was nearly worthless. Does anybody else remember or did I just imagine that?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Old tricks" is what concerns me.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

/r/relationships: I think she may be my dad up to his old tricks

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the healthiest couple is one that mutually agrees beforehand to get an inexpensive moissanite, CZ, or costume engagement ring with no lying required

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Buzkashi posted:

And he specifically mentioned the price because he wanted to tell her exactly what she had to one-up when she got him something in return. You know how gifts work.

Hahaha whoooo lol

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

loquacius posted:

lol priorities

"the person who just proposed marriage to me lies all the time, soooooooo obviously I got the engagement ring checked after I accepted the proposal, because I'm no fool"

Also, wisely, they keep separate bank accounts, except he earns almost all the money and she does the stay at home mom thing with an internet side gig (???)

Guess who pays for all the baby stuff?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If this is real that dad did a loving number on this kid but it's not real

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

loquacius posted:

If this is real that dad did a loving number on this kid but it's not real

lmao yeah it's too nuts to be real but...drat

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I (19/m) kinda have a crush on this girl (n/a) but I think she might have been hired by Ramsay Bolton (25/m) as some form of bizarre psychological torture. Advice?

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

lmao yeah it's too nuts to be real but...drat

It came from twitter so I’m not sure it even is a real Reddit post TBH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

up to his old tricks