Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

While I'm here, should I buy the expansion upon my friend's recommendation?

I put in 70 hours into the base game and enjoyed it well enough but it never captured my obsession like V (385 hours) did

The expansion doesn't add enough to make it exciting. It didn't grab me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Would pay hard cash for the return of cheesy FMV advisors from Civ 2.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Parkingtigers posted:

Would pay hard cash for the return of cheesy FMV advisors from Civ 2.

Elvis was not cheesy! You take that back! :)

vosk
Jul 28, 2005

THE PRODIGOON SON

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

While I'm here, should I buy the expansion upon my friend's recommendation?

I put in 70 hours into the base game and enjoyed it well enough but it never captured my obsession like V (385 hours) did

My biggest problem with base Civ VI was how generic most of the base leaders were. I'd scroll through the options to create a game and nothing would look interesting to me, so I just wouldn't play it.

I found several of the new leaders to be really appealing. Shaka, Poundmaker, Genghis Khan, and Seondeok are all really fun.

I've put way more time into it with the expansion out than I had before - though I'm still less than 1/20th of the time I've spent in civ 5.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
New developer update. They have changed the way joint wars works and added religious loyalty. Great Britain got buffed and the YEILD bug fixed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb278q5X9v4

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I've somehow managed to never see a video of him talking before. Is he a robot?

Good changes all around, though.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
(Aw well, got sniped while typing)
Another Developer Update

Religion and Loyalty will interact; increased Loyalty for Cities that follow the Religion you've founded, decreased Loyalty for Cities following Religions you haven't founded.
Social Policy and Government tweaks, also Seondeok's Hwarang ability and Magnus's first promotion.
More turtles on the map.
Pax Britannica is being buffed to grant a free unit when you found a new city on a new continent AND when you build a Royal Navy Dockyard in that city.
Joint Wars may be declared using a Casus Belli, requiring a Denouncement from at least one of the players. AI and human players can join a Joint War in progress and gain the benefits of the Casus Belli in effect.
The yields bug.
More Historic Moments are being added, particularly for late game (like building a National Park and finishing all the buildings in an Aerodrome district).

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Hogama posted:

AI and human players can join a Joint War in progress and gain the benefits of the Casus Belli in effect.

What does this mean? You can join a war in progress by literally joining in from the diplomacy menu? If so, that's really cool.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

John F Bennett posted:

What does this mean? You can join a war in progress by literally joining in from the diplomacy menu? If so, that's really cool.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Oh yes

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

She looks far too pleased for that to be a fair deal.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Those seem like some very good changes. Though, when they say "Magnus's first promotion", do they mean his starting ability, or one of the two abilities you can pick the first time you promote him? The former is the much more problematic thing and what I'm assuming, it's just the way it's written has me wondering.

I was literally just thinking about how Magnus being the obvious first choice always was possibly my least favorite R&F thing (even as I've been abusing it myself) before I checked the thread, so if that does get smacked with the nerf bat I'll be happy.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
These look promising. The Joint wars and Yield bug fix, especially.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

highmodulus posted:

These look promising. The Joint wars and Yield bug fix, especially.

Fair warning: someone found a second, smaller bug in the conditional yields that somewhat offset the impact of the first bug, so if they fix both bugs the impact is not going to be as much as you might hope.

I suppose it's possible they actually took a pass through the yield settings and optimized them further, but :shrug: Firaxis

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
I wish they would change how the game decides to jump to your other units seemingly at random. I just moved an archer to attack a barbarian scout, and as soon as I moved into range the game jumped automatically to some worker elsewhere. I was mid-right-cick to attack, so as a result I mis-clicked the worker and the worker started running across the continent.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have that disabled. Though annoyingly in hotseat MP games when you load up the file it keeps the settings the last player had for all that, so in some games I still wind up occasionally clicking on one unit, only to have my control shifted to another right before I click to move, even though if/when I open my options menu to shift things back all the settings are where I left them, so just hitting "Confirm" or whatever applies them all.

The really weird/annoying thing is that, no matter how many times I change these things, for some games when my turn comes around again its back to the awful settings. So either someone in the chain is changing them back, or whenever you save your game it applies your settings, meaning that whoever is after you will have yours applied, even though you didn't play with them, while you have to deal with whatever awful settings the person before you had. I'm not sure which is the case; I might try talking with the people before and after me in one of the goon games I'm in so we can figure that out.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 15, 2018

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

How'd you disable it?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's in Options, under "Interface" of all things. Disable "Auto Unit Cycling".

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Was there an ETA on the new update? Can't find anything about it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

TjyvTompa posted:

New developer update. They have changed the way joint wars works and added religious loyalty. Great Britain got buffed and the YEILD bug fixed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb278q5X9v4

Great Britain isn't a Civ.
Even though the ruler of "England" is a queen of the UK and the ability is based on stuff the UK did.

Dumb.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Roland Jones posted:

It's in Options, under "Interface" of all things. Disable "Auto Unit Cycling".

Why was that poo poo ever a thing ? Literally changing that setting right now.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Why was that poo poo ever a thing ? Literally changing that setting right now.
It was in Civ4 and 5 and probably in 3. A huge problem with it is how it seems to sometimes switch to another unit for half a second before going "NO! You are to move THIS unit!", angrily grabbing control and moving the camera to another part of the map. It works fine if you wait about 2 seconds between every order but there must be some dumb lag in their suboptimal coding of the interface that wreaks havoc when trying to play.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Roland Jones posted:

I'm not sure which is the case; I might try talking with the people before and after me in one of the goon games I'm in so we can figure that out.

As Zulu in the classic age start game these are my settings:

Quick movement: Disabled
Quick Combat: Enabled
Auto Unit Cycling: Disabled

It definitely cycled units. Created a Play Now SP game without changing any settings, units are not cycling as I would expect based on my settings.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

Though annoyingly in hotseat MP games when you load up the file it keeps the settings the last player had for all that,...

Tell me about it. Every single turn I get I have to manually turn off the yields display. Apparently it’s popular but I just don’t understand how people can play with all the visual spam.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I keep seriously contemplating doing an informative LP of Beyond Earth just to show off the game, warts and all, but the game provoked a drat near rage quit. I thought they'd fixed quests from going "You must build X structure in Y city" when it can't be done because Y city is a sea city and X structure can only be built in land cities.

And CBERT is still riddled with typos, quest choices leading to misplaced text, and entire missing diplomacy dialogue strings.

I realized Beyond Earth wasn't your best outing, Firaxis, but would it have killed you to at least cleaned this poo poo up?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

markus_cz posted:

Tell me about it. Every single turn I get I have to manually turn off the yields display. Apparently it’s popular but I just don’t understand how people can play with all the visual spam.

I occasionally turn it on for quick reference myself (it's useful for immediately telling if something's a hill or not based on extra production, if a hex between two zones like grassland and desert is one or the other when the graphic for it looks like it's half of each, etc.) and sometimes wind up leaving it on, sometimes remember to turn it back off, but you're not the one after me in any of our games.

Meanwhile, in one of my games the person before me keeps turning off resource icons, which is immensely annoying. Those are useful and not nearly as visually intrusive. Heck, they're practically necessary to spot some resources when just glancing around the map.

onesixtwo posted:

As Zulu in the classic age start game these are my settings:

Quick movement: Disabled
Quick Combat: Enabled
Auto Unit Cycling: Disabled

It definitely cycled units. Created a Play Now SP game without changing any settings, units are not cycling as I would expect based on my settings.

Hm, yeah, I personally have quick combat and movement set by default, and I think that's one of the games where my units don't move quickly anyway. I'd have to check again next time it comes up.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 17, 2018

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
Just wanna say turning off unit cycling has been so loving useful and I don't know why it was on by default when the game has a unit cycling button in the corner of the HUD already.

Cythereal posted:

I keep seriously contemplating doing an informative LP of Beyond Earth just to show off the game, warts and all, but the game provoked a drat near rage quit. I thought they'd fixed quests from going "You must build X structure in Y city" when it can't be done because Y city is a sea city and X structure can only be built in land cities.

And CBERT is still riddled with typos, quest choices leading to misplaced text, and entire missing diplomacy dialogue strings.

I realized Beyond Earth wasn't your best outing, Firaxis, but would it have killed you to at least cleaned this poo poo up?

I want to like Beyond Earth but the only thing I can 100% say I liked is the aesthetic of the planets. That went well and then everything beyond that feels rushed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ghost Stromboli posted:

I want to like Beyond Earth but the only thing I can 100% say I liked is the aesthetic of the planets. That went well and then everything beyond that feels rushed.

The aesthetics are a big part of why I've logged more hours in Beyond Earth than every other Civilization game I own combined. I like optimistic sci-fi, and CBERT scratches that itch of a relaxing game to build a neat looking empire very well.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I really liked the writing and concept of the BE wonders, are the RT ones similar?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I really liked the writing and concept of the BE wonders, are the RT ones similar?

They are, and include both a series of new sea city exclusive wonders and some more fantastical wonders reverse engineered from Progenitor tech. All available on the wiki.

Edit: So, turns out in CBERT you can't build cities in lakes. There's a huge inland sea near me in my current game filled with resources, and plopping down a sea city right in the middle would be perfect. But because it's all enclosed by land, the whole thing is considered a lake. And building a floating ark-city in fresh water is just too much for my space engineers to handle.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 18, 2018

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Don't worry Cythereal, I'm as broke-brained as you and believe a Civ BERT LP or too would be cool. Half tempted to do one myself.

110% sure that if either of us did something like that, we'd find some point where we're just screaming "What!?" at the game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

But at least you'd get to share the misery with other people. :)

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Alkydere posted:

Don't worry Cythereal, I'm as broke-brained as you and believe a Civ BERT LP or too would be cool. Half tempted to do one myself.

110% sure that if either of us did something like that, we'd find some point where we're just screaming "What!?" at the game.

Same here, I still play it once in a while and I feel no shame about enjoying that flawed flawed jewel. :colbert:

Edit: the fact that it runs better than Civ 5 or 6 on my lovely laptop also helps.

Ulvino fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 19, 2018

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Cythereal posted:

They are, and include both a series of new sea city exclusive wonders and some more fantastical wonders reverse engineered from Progenitor tech. All available on the wiki.

ok yeah, now I want to read more stories from that universe

it's so weird the game is set in it, and feels so completely alien to it

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ulvino posted:

Same here, I still play it once in a while and I feel no shame about enjoying that flawed flawed jewel. :colbert:

Edit: the fact that it runs better than Civ 5 or 6 on my lovely laptop also helps.

Flawed Jewel is probably the best descriptor I've seen of BERT in a long time. They do so much stuff right, or at least near-right, and then it just falls apart. Also beautiful loving assets, especially the sea stuff in Rising Tide.

The most fun I had with that game was before Rising Tide when I had the SMAX leader mod which gave everyone both a powerful boon, and a heavy malus to give the factions actual character. There was something just...fun about curbstomping someone as the Gaians despite their -25% attack/ranged attack modifier. Shame it never got updated to Rising Tide.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

Flawed Jewel is probably the best descriptor I've seen of BERT in a long time. They do so much stuff right, or at least near-right, and then it just falls apart. Also beautiful loving assets, especially the sea stuff in Rising Tide.

The most fun I had with that game was before Rising Tide when I had the SMAX leader mod which gave everyone both a powerful boon, and a heavy malus to give the factions actual character. There was something just...fun about curbstomping someone as the Gaians despite their -25% attack/ranged attack modifier. Shame it never got updated to Rising Tide.

Or as I like to put it, CBERT is less than the sum of its parts - which is a shame because so many of its parts are good.

Tested out the bug I encountered with lakes, and yeah for whatever reason you just can't build cities in lakes. You can build cities in the ocean just fine, but even if the "lake" is deep enough for what are visually deep ocean tiles (even if they're still mechanically lake tiles), your colonists will steadfastly refuse to build a floating city in a lake.

My current gripe that's not a bug, though, is the Promised Land victory. It's barely more interesting than the other options, and more annoying to play as you ferry a stream of one-tile movement units (2 tiles in the water!) you have to remember to summon every turn.

I've gotten to the point where half the time I quit a game once I've got the wonder up and running because I know I'm going to win and it's clear that no AI can stop me.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Beyond Earth was low-effort garbage disguised as a major entry in the franchise.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yup! It was very pretty, but beauty is only skin deep.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Serephina posted:

Yup! It was very pretty, but beauty is only skin deep.

The tech web was great, the espionage system is the best Civilization's ever had in my opinion, I like the diplomatic agreement system (though not necessarily the trait system it's attached to), giving submarines a ranged attack against land targets was long overdue, and on the whole I liked the quest system even if it was and is infuriatingly buggy.

I think a genuinely good, mechanics-focused expansion could have done a lot for the game, but we never got one and it doesn't seem likely we ever will. CBERT is still riddled with bugs and typos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Ranged attacks have no place in civ. Get rid of them and bring back thunderdome combat.