Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Greggster posted:

Are there any decent squad-based games centered around cold war era security forces (like sas, spetsnaz etc)?
If not ; What would be a decent substitute?

Spectre Operations or maybe Force on Force could be adapted to fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Force on Force will literally do it perfectly. Just play with regular vs irregular forces and you're golden.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I'm sure there are moderns like Force on Force that you could use that I'm not familiar with, but I've played Osprey's Black Ops and I think it's pretty good at getting a spy vs spy, Metal Gear Solid feel.

https://ospreypublishing.com/black-ops

Ilor posted:

Spectre Operations or maybe Force on Force could be adapted to fit.

Arquinsiel posted:

Force on Force will literally do it perfectly. Just play with regular vs irregular forces and you're golden.

All of these look fantastic, Force on Force in particular!
Now I just need to find myself some cool models I guess. :)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What scale do you want to play at?

Black Ops is also solid BTW. I have a friend who swears by it for small scale games, but I found it to be a smidge too clunky compared to Force on Force.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

What scale do you want to play at?

Black Ops is also solid BTW. I have a friend who swears by it for small scale games, but I found it to be a smidge too clunky compared to Force on Force.

I'm a huge sucker for 28mm, gotta love details and all that jazz y'know?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Skirmish Sangin also exists at that scale, but it's crazy detailed with a weird multi-activation initiative track to keep in your head. Their line of minis is beautiful though.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
If you're like me and really like Battlegroup's rules and want to use the Cold War toys you have and are tired of waiting for NORTHAG this guy has done a pretty thorough homebrew of the rulesystem.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Arquinsiel posted:

Skirmish Sangin also exists at that scale, but it's crazy detailed with a weird multi-activation initiative track to keep in your head. Their line of minis is beautiful though.

Yeah, I got like two turns in and it'd been three hours when I tried it.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Greggster posted:

Are there any decent squad-based games centered around cold war era security forces (like sas, spetsnaz etc)?
If not ; What would be a decent substitute?

As has been mentioned, Force on Force covers this sort of thing. Check out their Cold War Gone Hot book, there are scenarios on this sort of thing like "Spetznaz raid on a forward airbase with Harriers" and "Red Army Faction (terrorists) backed by Spetznaz raid a base."

This book:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think next time I'm over in the UK I definitely gotta head out to Finchley and grab all the FoF sourcebooks I never got previously.

spectralent posted:

Yeah, I got like two turns in and it'd been three hours when I tried it.
I never even bothered to try it. Mostly kickstarted the Somalia book just for some cool Delta Force mans to paint (which I still haven't...) and the rules were a nice bonus. It seems to be almost like Inquisitor in terms of granularity, so what a dude does in a "turn" can range from a normal move + shoot combo to that four or five times.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Why does it feel like metal models are easier to paint? And looks better?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Because they are :v:

I seriously have no idea though, it's just one of those weird subjective things.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I'd assume generally deeper details on metal models that make them easier to highlight, drybrush, was, etc.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, it just feels like, with metal being denser, the details have to be more defined, which makes picking them out with a brush far easier.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's not just that, I feel like paint sticks to metal better and more evenly

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I suspect there's something to do with the oil used in the plastics that changes how things adhere, which is why it's more important to prime plastic.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Phi230 posted:

It's not just that, I feel like paint sticks to metal better and more evenly

I'm not sure that's the case at all. Well, maybe it is, but primer seems to stick much better to plastics. I've had metal figures fall off things and come back chipped to hell but plastic rarely, if ever, does that.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I find metal models to be much harder to paint, as the paint always sticks to it worse, especially on edges, and prefer every other miniature material in use over it

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Have some pics from my solo GdA game today.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Fish and Chimps posted:

Have some pics from my solo GdA game today.

Looking great! I'm just waiting for the time when I have enough troops to try something like GdA myself. But I'd probably need to paint up another 2-3 battalions first, I guess. Which means digging deeper into the lead pile.

Meanwhile, I just finished 11 new infantry officers, because big games of SP2 requires a ton of the little buggers. Need to base them first before posting pics, but it was a real bottleneck for my army.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
We had a great game of CoC tonight, in which my newly-finished Afrika Korps finally saw play. It was a Delaying Action mission with the Germans defending and the Americans attacking (so say Tunisia, early '43). Supports were an M4 Sherman and a Pre-game barrage versus a Pak-38 and two entrenchments. I was umpiring for a couple of my regular gaming buddies, both of whom have only played CoC one other time. Both of them really seemed to grok the game this time, and they had a much better experience with it. Thanks to a ballsy rifle-team assault (supported by a couple of NCOs with Thompsons, of course) into an MG34 team in an olive grove, some really well-placed covering fire to protect a squad trying to gain ground, and some good old-fashioned fire-and-maneuver to get onto the objective, the Americans were able to carry the day. The Germans had some high points too, with some great interlocking fields of fire with dispersed MG34 teams and a nice ambush by the Pak38 (which eventually took out the Sherman two phases later).

Of course caught up in the game I totally forgot to take pictures. :cripes:

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
Apologies for the lighting in my photos, but I've just finished up the union army section of my Sharp Practice force, and I really wanted to show it off.

Up next, a few zouaves to finish off the force and my last couple of markers for deployment points and then they can hit the table.

Any recommendations on the best way to do flags?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Lupercalcalcal posted:

Apologies for the lighting in my photos, but I've just finished up the union army section of my Sharp Practice force, and I really wanted to show it off.

Up next, a few zouaves to finish off the force and my last couple of markers for deployment points and then they can hit the table.

Any recommendations on the best way to do flags?

Looking nice!

As for flags, I get mine from GMB designs. It’s pricier than printing your own, but they are great prints and come on nice paper. Then I just glue them to the flagpole, and fold the flag a bit before it dried.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Nice little mans but I would recommend that you mix up some flock and static grass, maybe some flower tufts, and give those bases some more life. It's going to make a huge differance

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Yup, get GMB flags. They're really great looking.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

zokie posted:

Nice little mans but I would recommend that you mix up some flock and static grass, maybe some flower tufts, and give those bases some more life. It's going to make a huge differance

Got more basing materials on the way, and I will definitely do when they arrive. With static grass do I need an applicator? I was a bit confused with how that works.

lilljonas posted:

Looking nice!

As for flags, I get mine from GMB designs. It’s pricier than printing your own, but they are great prints and come on nice paper. Then I just glue them to the flagpole, and fold the flag a bit before it dried.

Fish and Chimps posted:

Yup, get GMB flags. They're really great looking.

Brilliant, I'll look them up.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
For minis I wouldn't bother, just flip it upside down, tap it's bottom, and whisper to it lewdly.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I hosted a TANKS! game on Saturday and it felt really great to host after about a decade. While I've been playing games again for 4 years now I haven't done anything for terrain aside from collecting scraps as they come to me.

It was not a pretty table but I ended up super pleased with the blanket technique, as witnessed by the 2 hull down t-34/85's. (these images are a re-enactment and do not represent the cat-butt of this company)

So, TANKS!; simple, fast, shallow. Adequate for introducing newbs to TT games. At close ranges tanks will loose all their defense and have only HP for protection. The game suggests a 36"x 36" playing surface an I think that would make for very short, brutal games. LOS rules are simple and effective. Points seemed adequate. Game scales up nicely for multiple players or multiple tanks per player.

Next time I'll be hosting BA with my newb.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Is there a go-to ACW system that's prolific a la Bolt Action, Black Powder, etc.? Seems like a time period that Warlord skips over, and I'm not familiar with the other big names as much.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

COOL CORN posted:

Is there a go-to ACW system that's prolific a la Bolt Action, Black Powder, etc.? Seems like a time period that Warlord skips over, and I'm not familiar with the other big names as much.

ACW gamers love to fight over favorite systems. The biggies that come to mind (and there are many, many more) are:

- Fire & Fury, particularly Regimental Fire & Fury.
- Black Powder with the Glory Hallelujah add-on book.
- Johnny Reb.

Each has their advantages and disadvantages. See if anyone is playing any of these in your area and plan accordingly.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Cessna posted:

ACW gamers love to fight over favorite systems. The biggies that come to mind (and there are many, many more) are:

- Fire & Fury, particularly Regimental Fire & Fury.
- Black Powder with the Glory Hallelujah add-on book.
- Johnny Reb.

Each has their advantages and disadvantages. See if anyone is playing any of these in your area and plan accordingly.

Ah, doh, Warlord makes a system for ACW, but they resell Perry Miniatures instead of making their own line. Now it makes sense.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Sharp practice would work as well.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

True. If you're into Lardies games, they also have an ACW system called Couldn't Hit an Elephant that might be worth a look.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Speaking of, has anybody gotten What a Tanker yet?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

After playing quite a few 500pt games of Bolt Action, I've decided that:

A. Bolt Action is a very fun game.
B. I want a veteran-level army.

So I'm very seriously considering US Airborne.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

In chain of Command, can you take a halftrack and put an AT gun with crew into it, to make one of the armed variants?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

After playing quite a few 500pt games of Bolt Action, I've decided that:

A. Bolt Action is a very fun game.
B. I want a veteran-level army.

So I'm very seriously considering US Airborne.

The airborne sprues are super good now and they just released a whole bunch of metal pieces as well that look pretty good.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

moths posted:

Speaking of, has anybody gotten What a Tanker yet?

Yep and it looks fantastic. Will be hitting up their demo table at Salute and buying some more plastic tanks

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The airborne sprues are super good now and they just released a whole bunch of metal pieces as well that look pretty good.

This is definitely the case. And it's a very easy jump to 750 with some more options and a jeep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Thundercloud posted:

This is definitely the case. And it's a very easy jump to 750 with some more options and a jeep.

Yeah, listbuilding right now is a case of "But I want EVERYONE to have Thompsons and BARs!"

Fitting veteran stuff under 500pts is claustrophobic.