Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Viridiant posted:

This is a crime. Is this story for or against bears?
Bears give no fucks about sides. Bears want to eat, poo poo and sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Wark Say posted:

Bears give no fucks about sides. Bears want to eat, poo poo and sleep.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
golden kamuy has a nuanced bear stance. bears are powerful creatures and whether they are fighting with you or against you

always respect them

and sometimes eat them

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Expect My Mom posted:

and sometimes eat them

Hmm...

Well...I suppose this is what a bear would do...so I'll allow it.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
consider...an anime thread for your bear posting needs
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853908

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack

Expect My Mom posted:

golden kamuy has a nuanced bear stance. bears are powerful creatures and whether they are fighting with you or against you

always respect them

and sometimes eat them

and sometimes gently caress them

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/b0bduh/status/983414538426048517?s=21

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

That cg bear has me worried for GK....

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I finally watched megalobox and its hella good

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Theowulv posted:

:eyepop:

i need to read more of the manga

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Expect My Mom posted:

:eyepop:

i need to read more of the manga

You really, really do.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Theowulv posted:

From there to here,
From here to there...

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress the haters, Immortal/Ainu/White Wolf vs Bear was pretty darn :black101:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

gently caress the haters, Immortal/Ainu/White Wolf vs Bear was pretty darn :black101:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

haven't watched golden kamuy yet but that bear has me worried

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack

Manatee Cannon posted:

haven't watched golden kamuy yet but that bear has me worried

It looks better in motion than in screenshots. Still clashes pretty badly with the art tho.

Theowulv fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 9, 2018

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
i can’t remember who was asking why players in ggo don’t just use speed hacks all the time and it’s cause they use a strength/agility system so if you want to use anything over a smg/sword/pistol your speed is weakened. also did anyone feel like megalo box looked ugly video quality-wise? like the style is good but it feels like a really bad dvd rip

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

dudermcbrohan posted:

i can’t remember who was asking why players in ggo don’t just use speed hacks all the time and it’s cause they use a strength/agility system so if you want to use anything over a smg/sword/pistol your speed is weakened. also did anyone feel like megalo box looked ugly video quality-wise? like the style is good but it feels like a really bad dvd rip

an actual dog posted:

According to the Sakuga Blog post on the first ep, the production team is deliberately downscaling the show to something like DVD quality and then upscaling it back to HD, which is why it looks like the early-2000s. That's loving amazing.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its loving awful

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

dudermcbrohan posted:

i can’t remember who was asking why players in ggo don’t just use speed hacks all the time and it’s cause they use a strength/agility system so if you want to use anything over a smg/sword/pistol your speed is weakened.
Yeah IIRC it only works for the protagonist because her avatar is so tiny, and you can't customize your avatar for some reason I can't remember, so few people can get away with a pure agility build. Which is ridiculous for other reasons you're probably thinking of right now but that's just continuing the tradition of none of the games in SAO making any sense to people who actually design or play games.

This is probably all going to be explained in episode 2 when it goes back to the actual beginning of the story.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Davincie posted:

its loving awful

Imagine if there was a "fixed" version and they included it as a BD extra...

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Davincie posted:

its loving awful

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

What show is this?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

its loving awful

we need to intentionally make our shows look worse in order to nostalgia pander

at least the weird scanlines in kino 2003 were just trying to make the whole show seemed like half-remembered events and not just random downsampling to emulate some transient technological issue

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

lobster22221 posted:

What show is this?

Space Battleship Tiramisu. It's not bad.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think megalobox looks great

Theowulv posted:

It looks better in motion than in screenshots. Still clashes pretty badly with the art tho.

it looks a little better but only a little; it's still really noticeably cg and very ugly. episode was still good but I'm a little disappointed that they did this with the animals

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Endorph posted:

we need to intentionally make our shows look worse in order to nostalgia pander

at least the weird scanlines in kino 2003 were just trying to make the whole show seemed like half-remembered events and not just random downsampling to emulate some transient technological issue

I don't think this is pandering, unless you consider anything deliverately low-fi pandering. I think it's kind of cool to go for a visual style that isn't crisp. I don't think the down-and-up-scaling is a very good solution to their problem, though. (I've only watched a couple clips, though,so don't take my opinion too seriously.. yet)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the article mentions a similar but better execution of the cel aesthetic in Tiger Mask W's composite for character designs so idk, the Megalo Box stuff really puts me off in comparison.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
What are you doing you crazy spider :3:
https://files.catbox.moe/neoi97.webm

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Couple things:

- I don't think MEGALO BOX is specifically trying to look like cel animation, it really does feel like it's trying to fit into the early 2000s.

- I think downscaling it really does fit the gritty mood they're going for, all the ruined technology and violence and all that. It would feel a lot different in crisp resolution or with some kind of effect on top. It also activates the part of my brain that watched Cowboy Bebop on DVD ages ago and that rules.

- Upscaling it back is kinda bleh but it still gets the effect across. I hope they pull something where suddenly it's 1080p.

- The show is still great even if you don't like the effect.

- It rules that someone was able to try something so nuts.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I hope Creature Family Days gets subbed soon, it seems like a sweet 15 minute show but apparently never got picked up for streaming anywhere. This week the family tried to have dinner at a restaurant and well, they work it out eventually :3:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Knorth posted:

What are you doing you crazy spider :3:
https://files.catbox.moe/neoi97.webm
What's this from? After Rachnera, I'm coming around spider-girls. :3:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Jikkenhin Kazoku Creatures Family Days. First episode is online but not streaming anywhere currently :( Spider is bad at chopsticks, which is pretty cute

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The Rachnera Ep of Monster Musume was wild

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

an actual dog posted:

- It rules that someone was able to try something so nuts.

Meanwhile it has loving Akira trails. They know exactly what they're doing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I watched the first episode of Uma Musume expecting to like it but it sat poorly with me. The girls as horses thing made me more uncomfortable than I expected. I liked the character's antics and want Special Week to accomplish her dream, but then there'd be a scene where the trainer just felt up Special Week in public like it was fine, or one of the character's dehumanizing names would be said, or there's that girl who is wearing a bridle, and it just felt weird

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

I watched the first episode of Uma Musume expecting to like it but it sat poorly with me. The girls as horses thing made me more uncomfortable than I expected. I liked the character's antics and want Special Week to accomplish her dream, but then there'd be a scene where the trainer just felt up Special Week in public like it was fine, or one of the character's dehumanizing names would be said, or there's that girl who is wearing a bridle, and it just felt weird

FWIW, Trainer-San's actually pretty decent in episodes 2 and 3.

The names or horseracing framing device are probably here to stay tho

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Mentat Radnor posted:

Yeah!

I'm really happy with Hinamatsuri's production quality, and while the pace is fairly brisk I think that it works well and keeps the jokes snappy. I can't wait for the other character arcs because the "side" characters are really what carry the manga after the first few chapters.

The bartending arc, I can’t wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Looking like another season where the best 3D is in kids shows. Thank you Aikatsu Friends bringing back Samurai pictures

Thankfully the rest of Golden Kamuy looked good and the bear was just amusing

• Locked thread