Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

TetsuoTW posted:

Evans will be out because in a few years those pieces are going to cost more than he does

Honestly I think he likes to use that as an easy excuse more than anything else. There are plenty of hair options for Captain America, up to and including just loving shaving his head and owning it as part of the character. Really though I think what it comes down to is these people are human beings who don't want to play the same role 30 times in a row for their entire careers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also Evans wants to retire from acting and go into directing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He's not that good at it though

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

He's not that good at it though

What has he directed?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

What has he directed?
There is an easy way to find this out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crows Turn Off posted:

There is an easy way to find this out.

Yea but sometimes its nice to have like an actual conversation that doesn't involve wikipedia, so if you know the loving answer just come out with it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Chris Evans directed Before We Go, a meet-cute indie romance, which nobody liked and nobody saw.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

Also Evans wants to retire from acting and go into directing.

He shut up real quick about wanting to direct instead of act when his debut came out and was a complete wet turd.

He's now wanting to split time between acting on screen and doing Broadway.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I just looked up Before We Go and it seems to have decent IMDB and Google Reviews scores but its Rotten Tomatoes score is at 21%. It also made like $500,000 on a $3 million budget.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Still waitin on Not Another Teen Movie 2

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Yea but sometimes its nice to have like an actual conversation that doesn't involve wikipedia, so if you know the loving answer just come out with it.

Someone in a thread listing facts to you is not more of a "conversation" than using imdb, calm down

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Burkion posted:

Even though seriously how has Disney not made an animated movie based on it yet

I don't think it'd really work well in a movie format, tbh? Like, the Kingdom Hearts experience is playing a really long and dense set of Disney vigenttes bracketed by pulpy anime high drama, coming out exhausted after dozens of hours worth of grinding and hijinks, conferring with your friend, and realizing that you still have no idea what's going on in the broader plot because you've yet to play the PS Vita exclusive interquel gaiden game, Kingdom Hearts AZX: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

And then you all decide to give up on a truly comprehensive understanding and make Organization XIII OCs and complement each other on how cool and badass the OCs are. Also you're all exactly 15 years old

I don't think much of this translates well to a movie, unfortunately

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Jenny Angel posted:

This is precisely why they should make a movie. It worked for Street Fighter.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean at the very least the idea of a crossover between a bunch of tested Disney properties seems like a no brainer after the MCU and RPO. They just need a flimsy excuse to tie things together, and why not Kingdom Hearts.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Jenny Angel posted:

I don't think it'd really work well in a movie format, tbh? Like, the Kingdom Hearts experience is playing a really long and dense set of Disney vigenttes bracketed by pulpy anime high drama, coming out exhausted after dozens of hours worth of grinding and hijinks, conferring with your friend, and realizing that you still have no idea what's going on in the broader plot because you've yet to play the PS Vita exclusive interquel gaiden game, Kingdom Hearts AZX: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

And then you all decide to give up on a truly comprehensive understanding and make Organization XIII OCs and complement each other on how cool and badass the OCs are. Also you're all exactly 15 years old

More of an Alan Resnick production, to be sure

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Timby posted:

He shut up real quick about wanting to direct instead of act when his debut came out and was a complete wet turd.

He's now wanting to split time between acting on screen and doing Broadway.

I can't wait to see him in the broadway hit, Captain America: the Musical.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ruddiger posted:

I can't wait to see him in the broadway hit, Captain America: the Musical.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Whoa...is that...lighting?!?!?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Can't be. Must be CGI.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Hat Thoughts posted:

More of an Alan Resnick production, to be sure

I'd watch the hell out of it, and then I'd watch the hell out of Night Mind's video about it, and then I'd make a 2000's Ebaumsworld soundboard out of Night Mind saying things like "Xehanort" and "King Mickey"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Burkion posted:

Okay let's take a step back here

Yes, Bravest has a habit of trolling or being facetious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45-8eZViYOE

But loving poo poo this is a good looking movie guys, come on

Fritz Lang’s Metropolis? No thanks; I’d rather watch [consulting Marvel marathon schedule] a Rifftrax of the 2012 Total Recall remake?! Well, if that’s canon now...

It’s a bit weird and unfortunate that comics fans interpret these films entirely in terms of references to other comics. So, like, Thor is a reference to the Thor comics and The Underminer at the end of The Incredibles is understood purely as a Mole Man reference.

The truth is that both Underminer and Mole Man are a reference to the Hollow Earth conspiracy theory. Hollow Earth, as we know it today, originated with John Symmes Jr. (circa 1818, same year as the publication of Frankenstein) as a fantasy of unfettered American imperialism and manifest destiny. Symmes fantasized that an entire alternate - untouched - planet surface that could be accessed through massive gateways at each pole. Symmes heavily promoted his theory, pushing for arctic exploration on the basis that this inner Earth should not remain “a gloomy wilderness [whose] wild flowers have bloomed upon her fertile plains only to be crushed by the foot of the unlettered savage.” This racist fantasy was also, in its way, a fantasy of peace: unlimited American lebensraum without the necessity of war with rival nations. This was long before The Great War.

Though considered ridiculous even at the time, Symmes’ theory has had such staying power because it prefigured Star Trek’s “final frontier” and journeys to alternate Earths without recourse to interstellar travel or time shenanigans. (And, of course, it also taps into popular fascination with what discoveries might be hidden beneath the ice at ‘the ends of the Earth’. (See: At The Mountains Of Madness, The Thing, Man Of Steel, etc.))

It’s from this context that Mole Man emerges as an ambiguous figure - both a stereotypical white explorer ‘gone native’ and a futuristic conqueror.

But the fact that Hollow Earth is a fantasy of America’s destined future led to the darker turn in later variations. After Symmes, conspiracy theorists began speculating that the conquest of the inner Earth has already been accomplished by the Nazis, or that it was all along inhabited by the alien Greys. (These two views are closely linked - the aliens seen piloting UFOs are considered potentially aryan supermen). So the fantasy is that America failed, that Hitler secretly won, that there is a fascist utopia on the underside of the map (like, literally - you flip the map over, as in Stranger Things).

These later variants are a partial inspiration for Avengers’ final ‘Battle Of New York’ - which is also based around Mu imagery (largely borrowed from the movie Atragon), Nazi occultism, the Illuminati, government supersoldier programs, ancient aliens, Stargate experimentation at ‘Area 51’, free energy, etc.

As with Hollow Earth, none of these pseudoscientific fantasies and conspiracy theories originated in comics. They have a political and ideological context, without which you’re losing everything.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Fritz Lang’s Metropolis? No thanks; I’d rather watch [consulting Marvel marathon schedule] a Rifftrax of the 2012 Total Recall remake?! Well, if that’s canon now...

It’s a bit weird and unfortunate that comics fans interpret these films entirely in terms of references to other comics. So, like, Thor is a reference to the Thor comics and The Underminer at the end of The Incredibles is understood purely as a Mole Man reference.

The truth is that both Underminer and Mole Man are a reference to the Hollow Earth conspiracy theory. Hollow Earth, as we know it today, originated with John Symmes Jr. (circa 1818, same year as the publication of Frankenstein) as a fantasy of unfettered American imperialism and manifest destiny. Symmes fantasized that an entire alternate - untouched - planet surface that could be accessed through massive gateways at each pole. Symmes heavily promoted his theory, pushing for arctic exploration on the basis that this inner Earth should not remain “a gloomy wilderness [whose] wild flowers have bloomed upon her fertile plains only to be crushed by the foot of the unlettered savage.” This racist fantasy was also, in its way, a fantasy of peace: unlimited American lebensraum without the necessity of war with rival nations. This was long before The Great War.

Though considered ridiculous even at the time, Symmes’ theory has had such staying power because it prefigured Star Trek’s “final frontier” and journeys to alternate Earths without recourse to interstellar travel or time shenanigans. (And, of course, it also taps into popular fascination with what discoveries might be hidden beneath the ice at ‘the ends of the Earth’. (See: At The Mountains Of Madness, The Thing, Man Of Steel, etc.))

It’s from this context that Mole Man emerges as an ambiguous figure - both a stereotypical white explorer ‘gone native’ and a futuristic conqueror.

But the fact that Hollow Earth is a fantasy of America’s destined future led to the darker turn in later variations. After Symmes, conspiracy theorists began speculating that the conquest of the inner Earth has already been accomplished by the Nazis, or that it was all along inhabited by the alien Greys. (These two views are closely linked - the aliens seen piloting UFOs are considered potentially aryan supermen). So the fantasy is that America failed, that Hitler secretly won, that there is a fascist utopia on the underside of the map (like, literally - you flip the map over, as in Stranger Things).

These later variants are a partial inspiration for Avengers’ final ‘Battle Of New York’ - which is also based around Mu imagery (largely borrowed from the movie Atragon), Nazi occultism, the Illuminati, government supersoldier programs, ancient aliens, Stargate experimentation at ‘Area 51’, free energy, etc.

As with Hollow Earth, none of these pseudoscientific fantasies and conspiracy theories originated in comics. They have a political and ideological context, without which you’re losing everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qHbsVnYzdg

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Metropolis is about how the working man should make nice with his oppressors so gently caress that movie

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

sponges posted:

Metropolis is about how the working man should make nice with his oppressors so gently caress that movie

On the other hand, Giorgio Moroder did the first restoration of that movie and scored it entirely with synthpop/new wave music, so that least that version is perfect :getin: material

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Corrosion posted:

This is precisely why they should make a movie. It worked for Street Fighter.

it kinda did actually, and for dirt cheap too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_qoX9rzmZw

Its not bad, but not great.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Whoa...is that...lighting?!?!?

First Avenger rules a whole lot, except for the new camera they used on the film which made a lot of scenes look cheap and lovely.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

MrJacobs posted:

it kinda did actually, and for dirt cheap too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_qoX9rzmZw

Its not bad, but not great.

No way, not that one. That one sucks. I'm talking, unironically, about the Raul Julia/Van Damme joint.

Mind you, I really like Street Fighter Zero 2 and I feel like their faithfulness is what undoes Assassin's Fist.

Corrosion fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 10, 2018

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Corrosion posted:

No way, not that one. That one sucks. I'm talking, unironically, about the Raul Julia/Van Damme joint.

Mind you, I really like Street Fighter Zero 2 and I feel like their faithfulness is what undoes Assassin's Fist.

While that is a hilarious movie, its actually a GI Joe film with the serial numbers filed off. You know, like the Die Hard franchise they just found an old script and replaced some names. Its why Sagat is litterally Destro.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

There's definitely iconic poo poo in that adaptation. Like, what can Assassin's Fist claim but a confusion of events? Ryu in the plot of Street Fighter gets really angry before his loss to Sagat. Satsui no Hado isn't "hulking out", it's being a sore loser. So the whole "you have the Satsui no Hado gasp" thing that Assassin's Fist is going for doesn't even work to its advantage. I mean, Vega/Dictator's win quotes in Street Fighter 2, specifically where he talks poo poo about martial artists, technically contradict the portrayal Raul Julia gives, but who loving cares?

There's more benefit to being different and having your own uniqueness than presuming to be faithful and still missing the point. Like, the wardrobe in Assassin's Fist ain't good. It's "faithful", but it's faithful to a visual style that was, by and large, reaction to an animated feature. It's "Yellow Spandex" all over again.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

sponges posted:

Yeah, Fritz Lang is on record as not liking that ending too after a few years. Personally, I'd love to remake Metropolis and have everyone die at the end because the rich just wouldn't share the wealth.

K. Waste posted:

On the other hand, Giorgio Moroder did the first restoration of that movie and scored it entirely with synthpop/new wave music, so that least that version is perfect :getin: material

That version is legit great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JAHq-KFTAE

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is being a bit generous, because it's specifically only superhero comics. It was especially funny seeing both critics and fans declare Logan one of the greatest comic book movies ever, which is something that only works on the most strictest mental compartmentalization. No one seemed to have long enough memory to remember the comic book movie Road to Perdition, which is also about an assassin and his child travelling through America as fugitive outlaws. To be fair, it's somewhat a forgettable movie, but still easily superior to Logan.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 10, 2018

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This is being a bit generous, because it's specifically only superhero comics. It was especially funny seeing both critics and fans declare Logan one of the greatest comic book movies ever, which is something that only works on the most strictest mental compartmentalization. No one seemed to have long enough memory to remember the comic book movie Road to Perdition, a movie about an assassin and his child travelling through America as fugitive outlaws. To be fair, it's somewhat a forgettable movie, but still easily superior to Logan.

I mean, loving History of Violence is a comic book adaptation, and that is legit one of the best movies of all time.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Majkol posted:

I mean, loving History of Violence is a comic book adaptation, and that is legit one of the best movies of all time.

History of Violence was garbage for teenagers

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

starkebn posted:

History of Violence was garbage for teenagers

you have a weird mental image of teenagers

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

K. Waste posted:

I love the 2011 restoration of A Trip to the Moon's new Air soundtrack.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This is being a bit generous, because it's specifically only superhero comics. It was especially funny seeing both critics and fans declare Logan one of the greatest comic book movies ever, which is something that only works on the most strictest mental compartmentalization. No one seemed to have long enough memory to remember the comic book movie Road to Perdition, which is also about an assassin and his child travelling through America as fugitive outlaws. To be fair, it's somewhat a forgettable movie, but still easily superior to Logan.

"Logan is one of the greatest comic book movies ever" and "Road to Perdition is better than Logan" are not contradictory statements. Logan really crawled up into your head huh?

quote:

That version is legit great.

Holy poo poo

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 10, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminded of how Batman Odyssey is written by a genuine believer in the Hollow Earth and also the Expanding Earth, and they are plot points.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminded of how Batman Odyssey is written by a genuine believer in the Hollow Earth and also the Expanding Earth, and they are plot points.

Also the moon is expanding, the other planets and moons in our solar system are expanding, dinosaurs went extinct because the Earth expanded and the continents split apart which hosed up their migratory paths, gravity is a myth ....

He's got a bunch of videos about it on his youtube channel but he also produced a bunch more which he sells via his homepage.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 10, 2018

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

this sounds rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

RBA Starblade posted:

"Logan is one of the greatest comic book movies ever" and "Road to Perdition is better than Logan" are not contradictory statements.

Logan is not one of the greatest comic book movie ever. As I pointed out, in quality it's beaten out even by average stuff like Road to Perdition.