Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Minor mechanics question, in FFX does petrifying enemies lose you anything other than the chance to overkill them? Found a couple of stonetouch weapons and they're wonderfully effective, I still seem to be getting AP/gil and loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
For master summon you can just beat the Diamond Weapon and the dude in Kalm will give you 3 master materia, including summon, screw grinding it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bruceski posted:

Minor mechanics question, in FFX does petrifying enemies lose you anything other than the chance to overkill them? Found a couple of stonetouch weapons and they're wonderfully effective, I still seem to be getting AP/gil and loot.

The only thing you lose is overkill rewards, yeah. It's really nice for big enemies (like the Ochus on the Moonflow), but if you can Overkill it's usually better to go for that instead.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

teh_Broseph posted:

For master summon you can just beat the Diamond Weapon and the dude in Kalm will give you 3 master materia, including summon, screw grinding it.

How tough are the weapons/how leveled should I be to take them on? Seems like something I should do after grinding out the final limits anyway.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

So I managed to get FF1, 2, 3, and 4 for PSP!

I didn't even know FF3 had a PSP version but her we are. I know you guys said FF1 is pretty good on PSP but I've played FF1 to death and would only play the PSP version to see the differences. I've never played FF2 or FF3. I read the advice for FF2 but you guys didn't mention FF3 for PSP. Is that version still stupidly hard? Anything I should know?

As noted, it's the DS version so you can't save in dungeons. (the iOS or Android or whatever version that was ported to Steam fixes this) I played it on Steam and it's the version I recommend because you will be profoundly grateful for that Autosave function down the line.

For your first jobs, I recommend having a White Mage and a Monk. Everything else is a bit optional although a Red Mage is awesome. The ability to hit elemental weaknesses but a lot tankier than a Black Mage.

Thief kinda sucks since you have to grind it up to steal any items worth having. Other than that its main thing is opening locked doors but there are one-off keys throughout the game that can do this too.

Dual-wielding weapons leads to amazing damage but you might want to stick with a shield at some points for the dded defense. Bosses get two moves in a row every turn so you want the defense in case they physically attack you twice.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

DrNutt posted:

How tough are the weapons/how leveled should I be to take them on? Seems like something I should do after grinding out the final limits anyway.

Swatting my brain cobwebs, what I remember from playing it like 40 years ago is Diamond isn't bad - tough but do-able or at least worth giving it a shot whenever and see how it goes, grind up the final limits and getting a black chocobo and all first since you're doing that anyway. Wanna say I remember KotR + whatever materia lets you double cast it + mimic on someone else for quad casting it being able to dunk on Diamond pretty hard, maybe with the cast-Phoenix-on-death setup for his big attack. Mighty Guard takes a lot of his damage out, too. (Fakeedit wait I think it's Emerald not Diamond weapon I mean.)

Never did beat Ruby, no idea what's needed there besides the usual strat is to go in with only Cloud alive in the party.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

teh_Broseph posted:

Swatting my brain cobwebs, what I remember from playing it like 40 years ago is Diamond isn't bad - tough but do-able or at least worth giving it a shot whenever and see how it goes, grind up the final limits and getting a black chocobo and all first since you're doing that anyway. Wanna say I remember KotR + whatever materia lets you double cast it + mimic on someone else for quad casting it being able to dunk on Diamond pretty hard, maybe with the cast-Phoenix-on-death setup for his big attack. Mighty Guard takes a lot of his damage out, too. (Fakeedit wait I think it's Emerald not Diamond weapon I mean.)

Never did beat Ruby, no idea what's needed there besides the usual strat is to go in with only Cloud alive in the party.

Thanks. I know I can google a lot of this info (and have) but I like double checking with goons because the kind of people who write online guides for Final Fantasy games always seem like the kind of people who always recommend being way overleveled for everything because they don't want to engage in the battles beyond mashing attack.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

As noted, it's the DS version so you can't save in dungeons. (the iOS or Android or whatever version that was ported to Steam fixes this) I played it on Steam and it's the version I recommend because you will be profoundly grateful for that Autosave function down the line.

For your first jobs, I recommend having a White Mage and a Monk. Everything else is a bit optional although a Red Mage is awesome. The ability to hit elemental weaknesses but a lot tankier than a Black Mage.

Thief kinda sucks since you have to grind it up to steal any items worth having. Other than that its main thing is opening locked doors but there are one-off keys throughout the game that can do this too.

Dual-wielding weapons leads to amazing damage but you might want to stick with a shield at some points for the dded defense. Bosses get two moves in a row every turn so you want the defense in case they physically attack you twice.

Thanks for the advice.

I'll go with Monk, White Mage, Red Mage, and some kind of tank. That's kind of my playstyle anyway and it seems balanced and safe.

Since I now have legit copies of these games I just downloaded the PSP ISOs and will be emulating them because I really like plugging my laptop into my big stupid TV and playing these games with a controller. Save states own and I will be abusing them because I'm going to intentionally minimize the pain of these games. I just want to see the stories and the mechanics and get to know the characters I see in FFRK that I know almost nothing about.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
When you go for the Barret date remember that it's possible to date him too hard and get so many Barret Date Points that you glitch the game out, so don't do that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

teh_Broseph posted:

Ruby Weapon can be cheesed really hard.

You kill off 2 party members and leave Vincent alive. Have him equip Hades and Added Effect linked together and all the magic and MP boosts you can squish into his gear. Then just literally spam Hades. The summon will stun Ruby and you can just do it over and over again. I think you might have to equip some sort of counter heal materia combo or just spend a turn here and there healing but basically that's all you do. You stun lock him with Hades+Added Effect. The trick is knowing that you have to enter the battle with only 1 character alive.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Also that party member has to be in the middle slot otherwise they'll go down the drain :(

E: the reason I bring up materia grinding strats is because I 100%ed the steam version not the PS4 release so I have no idea if that game will give up its Master Materia trophies if you go kill Ruby and get them from the Kalm traveller. I'd assume not but I don't know.

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 9, 2018

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

DeadButDelicious posted:

There are some weapons/armour you can obtain that have double or triple materia growth attributed in them (I think Cid had a polearm with triple and Cloud definitely has a sword) which makes it less painful. Except KotR which requires an absurd amount of AP to master. Those definitely take the edge off of the grind but I'd you have a TV show to catch up on...

and then you get an achievement, which gets you ...?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Sapozhnik posted:

Personal satisfaction, presumably. People do all kinds of stuff for it, time-consuming game achievements are honestly only the peak of the iceberg.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DeadButDelicious posted:

Also that party member has to be in the middle slot otherwise they'll go down the drain :(

E: the reason I bring up materia grinding strats is because I 100%ed the steam version not the PS4 release so I have no idea if that game will give up its Master Materia trophies if you go kill Ruby and get them from the Kalm traveller. I'd assume not but I don't know.

Oh fuuuuck that would be poo poo. I am assuming that the PS4 version will give me the trophy if I do it this way because 1) it doesn't have achievements for the other Master Materia and 2) you get Cloud's Omnislash achievement even if you get it at the end rather than doing the battle square.

Sapozhnik posted:

Kanfy posted:

Personal satisfaction, presumably. People do all kinds of stuff for it, time-consuming game achievements are honestly only the peak of the iceberg.

:shrug: I've never really been much for 100% games or getting all achievements or whatever, but sometimes if it's a game I really enjoy or have lots of nostalgic feelings towards I get it in my mind to do it. Lately I've been setting out to conquer as many of the Final Fantasy games as possible because I have a lot of childhood nostalgia associated with the 16 bit era games, but I realized that the only games I'd beaten despite tons of playtime were Chrono Trigger and Secret of Evermore. I beat Final Fantasy 6 for the first time this year and I am not going back for the rest of the achievements because gently caress getting all of Gau's rages and all of the blue magic in the game, but FF7 seemed pretty doable, even if they require some grinding.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Achievements are best thought of as suggestions for things you might want to try if you liked the game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Achievements should best be thought of as artificial ways to prolong the lifespan of a game because game developers have lost their ability to make good games after The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Achievements are also a way for dev and publishers to mine data on how many players finished a game or how far they got through it or how many hardcore 100% nerds play the games and all that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Elephant Ambush posted:

Achievements are also a way for dev and publishers to mine data on how many players finished a game or how far they got through it or how many hardcore 100% nerds play the games and all that.

One of the boxes I have on my Steam profile is "rare achievements" which I kind of like, because I don't pick out the achievements I want to showcase, the box chooses them based on the rarity of the achievements I've earned in Steam games.

Despite having a huge Steam collection, and a ton of weird rare indie games and poo poo, 5 out of the 6 achievements that are displayed are from the new Tomb Raider games.

It seems really weird to me because they're not particularly difficult achievements to get and those games did pretty well. I kind of like stuff like that, I've always been a big fan of games tracking your statistics and being able to look back on all the stuff presented as raw data. I was thinking how much I wished there was something like this in FF7 because of the limit requirements (kill 'x' enemies with a particular character or activate 'x' limit 'y' times).

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

DrNutt posted:

One of the boxes I have on my Steam profile is "rare achievements" which I kind of like, because I don't pick out the achievements I want to showcase, the box chooses them based on the rarity of the achievements I've earned in Steam games.

Despite having a huge Steam collection, and a ton of weird rare indie games and poo poo, 5 out of the 6 achievements that are displayed are from the new Tomb Raider games.

It seems really weird to me because they're not particularly difficult achievements to get and those games did pretty well. I kind of like stuff like that, I've always been a big fan of games tracking your statistics and being able to look back on all the stuff presented as raw data. I was thinking how much I wished there was something like this in FF7 because of the limit requirements (kill 'x' enemies with a particular character or activate 'x' limit 'y' times).

Depends on what "rare" means in Steam context. If it means "not many people got this" then it probably means a lot of people didn't make t too far into the game before quitting.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Depends on what "rare" means in Steam context. If it means "not many people got this" then it probably means a lot of people didn't make t too far into the game before quitting.

There are some rare completionist achievements that you'd have to go out of your way to get so few people would get them, or maybe you have to play multiple times to do it.

So a base game could be pretty easy to beat, but then you have all the extra 'difficult' stuff like dodging 200 lightning bolts or whatever that you'd have to go make yourself do.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ApplesandOranges posted:

There are some rare completionist achievements that you'd have to go out of your way to get so few people would get them, or maybe you have to play multiple times to do it.

So a base game could be pretty easy to beat, but then you have all the extra 'difficult' stuff like dodging 200 lightning bolts or whatever that you'd have to go make yourself do.

Yeah, one of them is for TR13 called "Chatterbox." Throughout the game, you will occasionally have the option to talk to your fellow crewmembers from the Endurance, and "Chatterbox" is an achievement for talking to all of them when you have the opportunity. BUT, you not only have to talk to them, you have to talk to them 3 or 4 times to exhaust all their dialogue. The first time I tried to get this achievement I failed it because I forgot that you can talk to Whitman in like the first 30 minutes of the game, because there is a cutscene where he tells you what you are supposed to do, and if you just go do it, you lose the chance to talk to him. There's another rare on that you get for using an unlockable ability 25 times, but depending on how you fill out your upgrade tree, you can replace that ability with a more lethal one almost immediately. So unless you are trying for the achievement you will probably end up missing out on it.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Another hour or so wandering around in XIII-2 poking at different places, doing a couple sidequests, and after maybe having done some previous stuff in "wrong" order I hit the triggers to unlock Academia. Progress! Hopefully it picks up some for me cause I'm having a hard time not just bouncing back off this between not diggin the 2 main characters (boring girlfriend plus the guy from Kingdom Hearts's unknown brother), the 2 char+monster party system, the music, the walkspeed, framerate wonkiness, uhhh yeah. At least after setting up DSR the graphics don't look like upscaled 720p butt.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

teh_Broseph posted:

Emerald, not Diamond. Diamond's the one that you beat as part of the plot near the end of Disc 2. :v:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dragonatrix posted:

Emerald, not Diamond. Diamond's the one that you beat as part of the plot near the end of Disc 2. :v:

Which of the optional weapons is the easiest to take on first?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Ultima by far.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

DrNutt posted:

Which of the optional weapons is the easiest to take on first?

Technically Ultima :downs:

If you mean the SUPER optional weapon bosses then Emerald.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

mauman posted:

Technically Ultima :downs:

If you mean the SUPER optional weapon bosses then Emerald.

Does this imply that Ultima is not actually optional or something?

Forgive me, I played a ton of disc 1 as a kid but don't remember much after that.

Also, I can still remember finishing disc 1 and being like, "whoa, if every disc has as much content as disc 1..." which lol.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I believe the Ultima Weapon was originally the only Weapon that showed up on the world map in disc 3 in the original Japanese release. Emerald and Ruby Weapons were added for the international releases to beef up the end game, and are markedly more difficult.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Ruby Weapon isn't hard if you use the w-item dazer + potion for lucky 7s trick. Go into battle with 2 dead party members, one of them at 7677. First use a dazer to stun Ruby, then a potion on yourself to get lucky 7s (Ruby will counterattack first if he's not stunned). Once your reign of terror is over, summon Phoenix to revive your dead party members, then knights of the round and mimic it a couple of times for an easy victory.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

teh_Broseph posted:

Another hour or so wandering around in XIII-2 poking at different places, doing a couple sidequests, and after maybe having done some previous stuff in "wrong" order I hit the triggers to unlock Academia. Progress! Hopefully it picks up some for me cause I'm having a hard time not just bouncing back off this between not diggin the 2 main characters (boring girlfriend plus the guy from Kingdom Hearts's unknown brother), the 2 char+monster party system, the music, the walkspeed, framerate wonkiness, uhhh yeah. At least after setting up DSR the graphics don't look like upscaled 720p butt.

YMMV about most of this but kinda surprised you don't like the music.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

seiferguy posted:

Ruby Weapon isn't hard if you use the w-item dazer + potion for lucky 7s trick. Go into battle with 2 dead party members, one of them at 7677. First use a dazer to stun Ruby, then a potion on yourself to get lucky 7s (Ruby will counterattack first if he's not stunned). Once your reign of terror is over, summon Phoenix to revive your dead party members, then knights of the round and mimic it a couple of times for an easy victory.

That... doesn't sound easy at all. How do guarantee a character getting exactly 7677 hp?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Elephant Ambush posted:

That... doesn't sound easy at all. How do guarantee a character getting exactly 7677 hp?

Find an enemy that does only 1 damage and let it attack you 2322 times.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Mega64 posted:

Find an enemy that does only 1 damage and let it attack you 2322 times.

JRPGs were a mistake.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

lobster22221 posted:

JRPGs were a mistake.

Wait until you see some of the strategies required for challenge runs.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

You can also get 77 hp, or 177 hp, or 277 hp, and so on, and fill in the difference with healing that doesn't touch those last two digits.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm the kind of loser that has done challenge runs. Mainly I did a Zidane Solo run of IX. It... really wasn't that hard at any point actually since you just end up power leveling to from not splitting all that EXP. Other characters would be more of a difficulty curve due to availability due to plot and poo poo. Garnet is Hard Mode because of her BSOD for a chunk of Disc 3.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Solo Runs are kinda weird because half the time the game ends up easier since the one character is getting 3-5x the experience as normal (depending on the game's normal part size, of course) and the extra levels end up boosting the offense enough to wipe the floor with regular encounters. Of course, the main challenge is surviving all the instant death attacks that inevitably pop up, and doing the runs with weaker characters/jobs.

Low Level Runs are more insane and I've seen enough that I'm pretty confident I'll never try doing one.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
e: I missed that there was another page

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm the kind of loser that has done challenge runs. Mainly I did a Zidane Solo run of IX. It... really wasn't that hard at any point actually since you just end up power leveling to from not splitting all that EXP. Other characters would be more of a difficulty curve due to availability due to plot and poo poo. Garnet is Hard Mode because of her BSOD for a chunk of Disc 3.

I spontaneously decided to try this with one of the Pokemon games. (Maybe the only RPGs easier than FF.)

Having a single element (Fire in this case) didn’t really matter when I was 20-30 levels higher than everything :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

seiferguy posted:

Does Ruby Weapon get vulnerable when you hit it with Dazers? I know its default state has unmarked invincibility.