Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

All time peak of steam users: 603.

Peak in the last 30 days: 569.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Gawain The Blind posted:

All time peak of steam users: 603.

Peak in the last 30 days: 569.

I just looked at the twitch numbers, SIX viewers, that's just sad.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I watched a video of a dude playing for the first time.

What were they thinking with that JRPG style overworld? :chloe:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I watched a stream, and the fps was terrible. Maybe it was the streamer's potato computer, couldn't tell.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Dementropy posted:

But how's the game?

Actually disappointingly not as poo poo as advertised, but still poo poo. So it's like really bad, but in a boring way. Some of the environments are pretty cool, the conversation system isn't the worst thing ever and what quests I did were pretty basic but still ok. You could pass it off as an MMO made by a big studio during the MMO craze if you didn't know better, one of the failed ones obviously.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ehud posted:

I watched a video of a dude playing for the first time.

What were they thinking with that JRPG style overworld? :chloe:

Yeah, I don't understand the overworld at all. The quality of this game would improve 10 fold if that was removed and the gameworld was seamless with no transitions.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Ultima 9 was better

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

mike12345 posted:

I watched a stream, and the fps was terrible. Maybe it was the streamer's potato computer, couldn't tell.

A while back the official stream looked like it was running the game at about 19 FPS and I was banned for asking them to show the current frame rate

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

extra stout posted:

A while back the official stream looked like it was running the game at about 19 FPS and I was banned for asking them to show the current frame rate

They better be careful; each ban basically reduces their total active players by about 5%.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Node posted:

The music, it's great!

Just curious Node, are you playing this game?

If you are, tell us how it's going.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

you know if they are it's not going well :rolleyes:

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

extra stout posted:

ran smooth maxed out but for such outdated graphics that's not much of an accomplishment.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

iminers posted:

Just curious Node, are you playing this game?

If you are, tell us how it's going.

I'm not. Mostly because I played the game a lot already. Since they have added stuff since I last played, I wouldn't really know where to start. I'd gladly post trip reports if I knew where to begin.

Node fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 6, 2018

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Node posted:

I'm not. Mostly because I played the game a lot already. Since they have added stuff since I last played, I wouldn't really know where to start. I'd gladly post trip reports if I knew where to begin.

Can't you have more than one character now? You should do any of the new user areas and report back how they feel. Personally, it took two quests in for me to ragequit because of NPCs not knowing what I was talking about, but that was like November, maybe they fixed it by now?

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

HungryMedusa posted:

Can't you have more than one character now? You should do any of the new user areas and report back how they feel. Personally, it took two quests in for me to ragequit because of NPCs not knowing what I was talking about, but that was like November, maybe they fixed it by now?

Only if you (a) bought an early account or (b) pay for a character slot.

My source on that is steam comments - I browsed them after game launch to see if anything improved - and one of like three active threads was complaining about that aspect. If I’m wrong about that, I apologize. But it wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Wasn't there supposed to be some offline game mode where you could play solo or play with a private group? Was that a thing? Tried a random stream and saw a dude playing Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition and thought about trying that instead.

Givin fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 10, 2018

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah, Shroud of the Avatar has a offline version that lets you craft and have access to any of the super expensive cash shop items that you can only obtain with real money on the official online server. Making the online server kinda pointless.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, Shroud of the Avatar has a offline version that lets you craft and have access to any of the super expensive cash shop items that you can only obtain with real money on the official online server. Making the online server kinda pointless.

uhh what about the awesome PvP experience? raids??? like, hello??

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Unless this has changed recently, it's not entirely true. You cannot, in fact, get a land deed in offline mode - you must buy it from their store (or buy it from a player vendor using in-game RMT shekels).

Even to play single player offline, you have to have done the real money transaction.

Edit: Looks like this did change a month or so ago. You can now buy deeds in offline mode using in-game gold. Although you still cannot buy castle or keep deeds, even in offline mode.

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 13, 2018

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Played the game for the first time last night.

It has the best emote system I’ve ever seen.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/249874002

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Also, the game is really bizarre. It feels like a single player RPG from 2002 that has random MMORPG elements attached.

I’m going to play a little more this weekend to see if I can get into it at all. Aside from the emotes though, it’s just not very immersive or fun.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

Also, the game is really bizarre. It feels like a single player RPG from 2002 that has random MMORPG elements attached.

I’m going to play a little more this weekend to see if I can get into it at all. Aside from the emotes though, it’s just not very immersive or fun.

It's boring. Install EQ2.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

Richard Garriott posted:

'I think most game designers really just suck'

"I've met virtually no one in our industry who I think is close to as good a game designer as I am. I'm not saying that because I think I'm so brilliant. What I'm saying is, I think most game designers really just suck."

- Richard "Lord British" Garriott, industry veteran and Portalarium founder, believes that the video game industry is dramatically underskilled.

Gamasutra posted:

Off the back of his Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarter success, Garriott was extremely candid in an interview with PC Gamer, explaining that most of the designers he has worked with in the industry lack the skills necessary to create good video games.

"I think there's really very few great game designers," he said. "I think Chris Roberts is one of them, Will Wright's another, Peter Molyneux is another. They clearly exist, but on the whole, I think that the design talent in our industry is dramatically lower than we need, as an industry. It's a very hard skill to learn."

LUM LUM LUM

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
It pains me to say this, but it looks like Lord British had his 15 minutes of fame back in the 80's and has been coasting ever since.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Gynovore posted:

It pains me to say this, but it looks like Lord British had his 15 minutes of fame back in the 80's and has been coasting ever since.

Some of us still remember Tabula Rasa being poo poo.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Gynovore posted:

The guy who posted that Garriott makes good poo poo when working solo but can't manage a project, or generally work well with others, was probably right. The only way he'd get anything done in the modern day is if he went solo again, or teamed up with some personal hero he respects so much he wouldn't go Full Garriott.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Garriott seems like way too much of a primadonna to work on the type of indie games that are produced by teams of two or three people. He most definitely doesnt do enough work to release a game working solo either.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Hra Mormo posted:

The guy who posted that Garriott makes good poo poo when working solo but can't manage a project, or generally work well with others, was probably right. The only way he'd get anything done in the modern day is if he went solo again, or teamed up with some personal hero he respects so much he wouldn't go Full Garriott.

That was me, and yeah it's probably true. LB is a kickass coder but sucks at managing people.

And in TYOOL 2018, even the tiniest indy game is made by a team of 4-8 people, so he's kinda hosed.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"I think there's really very few great nondelivering ideas guys, " he said. "I think Chris Roberts is one of them, Will Wright's another, Peter Molyneux is another. They clearly exist, but on the whole, I think that the empty promise talent in our industry is dramatically lower than we need, as an industry. It's a very hard skill to learn."

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This game has a really nice community but it’s just impossibly bad and no fun to play.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gynovore posted:

Richard Garriot loving sucks as a game designer. That article kinda upsets me because he hasn't made a good game since Ultima VII. What arrogance. Making a bad kickstarter game is one thing, but I never realized what a total rear end in a top hat Garriot is.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I think it was the Digital Antiquarian that did a series of articles on Origin prior to UO. Up until U6, Garriot would basically vanish into a room for six weeks and come out with a complete game. I really doubt he ever moved past that.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

This game has a really nice community but it’s just impossibly bad and no fun to play.

they are nice because they are trying to pawn off digital goods for 300% of thier original price

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Fell asleep in my computer chair during the tutorial. I haven't done that since classic EverQuest Plane of Hate raids back in 1999.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This is what $10m gets you

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/250996330

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

I want my $40 back.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Thursday Next posted:

I want my $40 back.

garriott already spent it on renfaire clothes

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Thursday Next posted:

I want my $40 back.

I want my $75 back. Someone shoot me.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

It really is one of the worst games I’ve ever tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
just read the first 9 pages of the thread and pretend that's what everyone is continuing to play

game good