Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

shame on an IGA posted:

A megaman who leads a virtuous life and defeats evil is reborn stronger and more powerful to continue the journey of righteousness while a megaman who succumbs to sloth or greed is trapped in an endless cycle of rebirth, death, rebirth, and frustration.

It's pretty explicitly buddhist.
This is Mega Man Zero, right? Like I said, I never played that one.

Also, Terra from Final Fantasy VI is totally a nun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I was thinking Megaman 2 on NES, both the denifinitive entry in the series and a kind of hairshirt in itself

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Keromaru5 posted:

Also, Terra from Final Fantasy VI is totally a nun.

not sure how many nuns are half-esper child soldiers

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Phlegmatist posted:

You'd be surprised.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GUNS posted:

napoleon was a sonofabitch and i think it's time we started saying that

Historically, more heads of state than not were.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

The Phlegmatist posted:

Plenty of nuns have had wild origins.

But just look at her at the end of the game: she's been desperate to find love and purpose, and she finds it not in romance (has difficulty connecting with other people) or in family (her mom's dead and her dad's a rock), but in what appears to be a celibate life running a makeshift orphanage and fighting ancient demons.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Can y’all go back to arguing about Christo-eroticism and being a shaman? That was a much better time killing read than bringing back monarchy.

Having said that, the US SUCKS at ceremony. Seems like we view every president as a FRESH, NEW START TO AN ERA, rather than another four years on top of 200 and change. Especially with the current less than stately president.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Can y’all go back to arguing about Christo-eroticism and being a shaman? That was a much better time killing read than bringing back monarchy.

the Holy Spirit leads the Christianity thread into weird derails. I think they talked about it in the Book of Acts.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

HEY GUNS posted:

What if the purpose, at least for me, is that it's beautiful? Looking at and participating in things that are beautiful is good for me. It's enjoyable.

Then enjoy the aesthetic, but politics should not be about aesthetics. Now I don't mean this as an insult but the line of thinking that "we need to make politics aesthetically beautiful" is very much a part of Fascist policy. The idea that politics should not be considered a series of interlocking systems to help people, but as an attempt to enforce "beauty" upon the world. Again this should not be taken as an insult to you Hegel. I don't like doing that, but it is important.

HEY GUNS posted:

Over the slow accretion of centuries. Why draw the line fifty years ago instead of a thousand?

Because although the past matters, it does not matter enough to be worth keeping things in the present. Putting someone up as a king, especially one that is unelected, is inherently wrong it doesn't matter if you have been doing it since the year 2000 BCE or CE, it is still rubbish for the purpose of politics. Just because something is old does not make it worthwhile, however much as a historian people may want to retain it.

HEY GUNS posted:

I suppose we'll have to wait and see. England used to loving suck at ceremony and everyone else in Europe mentioned it. When they reinvented a bunch of things in the mid 19th century they were new as well...until they weren't.

They are still new then. The entire process of "inventing traditions/ ceremony" is utterly insane. It's an attempt to construct a past like the present and then claim that this was always the original way of doing things, then when people question it claim that they are trying to destroy something ancient.

HEY GUNS posted:

Yes, of course. But if pragmatism were all there was to life we'd all be eating scientifically-formulated nutrient paste.

No we wouldn't, people wouldn't be able to sell us things if we did that. There may be more to life than pragmatism, but there is not more to life than making things better for others.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 10, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Um, sorry for stating the obvious here, but I live in a kingdom:

Monarchy can take many political forms, but every single one of those forms include the inheritence of sickening wealth for one family and their friends, paid for by everyone else - and as long as monarchies are countries where people still die from easily preventable diseases and poverty and claim they can't afford to help refugees from war, monarchy is inherently reprehensible.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

HEY GUNS posted:

I suppose we'll have to wait and see. England used to loving suck at ceremony and everyone else in Europe mentioned it. When they reinvented a bunch of things in the mid 19th century they were new as well...until they weren't.

All the good English/UK state ceremonies are about resisting the power of the monarch. The slamming of the doors in Black Rod's face, dragging the speaker to the chair (because what elected official would want to have to deal with royalty?), the fact that MPs effect their resignation by taking a paid office of the crown, and most recently Dennis Skinner's unfunny heckles during the queen's speech.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Didn’t Napoleon grab the crown from the Pope during his coronation and crown himself?

That's just the kind of go-getter attitude we need in these tumultuous times.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

ThePopeOfFun posted:

quote:

Samuel told all the words of the Lord to the people who were asking him for a king. He said, “This is what the king who will reign over you will claim as his rights: He will take your sons and make them serve with his chariots and horses, and they will run in front of his chariots. Some he will assign to be commanders of thousands and commanders of fifties, and others to plow his ground and reap his harvest, and still others to make weapons of war and equipment for his chariots. He will take your daughters to be perfumers and cooks and bakers. He will take the best of your fields and vineyards and olive groves and give them to his attendants. He will take a tenth of your grain and of your vintage and give it to his officials and attendants. Your male and female servants and the best of your cattle and donkeys he will take for his own use. He will take a tenth of your flocks, and you yourselves will become his slaves. When that day comes, you will cry out for relief from the king you have chosen, but the Lord will not answer you in that day.”

Tias
May 25, 2008

I led a friend on a journey to recover her fylgje or spirit helper ( what is normally known as a 'power animal' in US parlance) this sunday. We opened sacred space by drumming and singing power songs, then guided her spirit to the underworld, where she had a rather entertaining conversation with several animal fathers and quickly brought back a fine and powerful helper. Good times!

Don't argue me though :colbert:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Tias posted:

I led a friend on a journey to recover her fylgje or spirit helper ( what is normally known as a 'power animal' in US parlance) this sunday. We opened sacred space by drumming and singing power songs, then guided her spirit to the underworld, where she had a rather entertaining conversation with several animal fathers and quickly brought back a fine and powerful helper. Good times!

Don't argue me though :colbert:

Legitimate question about reconstructionism in general: are the gods angry that people stopped worshipping them for hundreds (thousands?) of years?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Fair point, Epicurius. OTOH, great chain of being. Checkmate.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Also Hegel, wasn't the actual Hegel a huge fan of Napoleon? Iirc

Tias
May 25, 2008

Slimy Hog posted:

Legitimate question about reconstructionism in general: are the gods angry that people stopped worshipping them for hundreds (thousands?) of years?

Short answer: no.

Very broadly speaking, they have always been venerated, though said veneration was restricted to esotericist fuckheads and nazis for a while. I know there's no studies or scientific into the matter, but here in Scandinavia (and the baltics) people agree there have been lone, or small groups of, reconstructionist worshippers always,

personal opinion: Our gods are only one of several existing pantheons, and in the absence of organized norse heathens, the other indigenous religions carried on a 'general minimum' of the services required to keep the seasons changing and the old gods happy.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Oh!!

shame on an IGA posted:

I was thinking Megaman 2 on NES, both the denifinitive entry in the series and a kind of hairshirt in itself
I get it now! Took me forever to remember the Quick Man lasers.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

One of the wryer ironies of the Bible. Back in Samuel, the people wanted a king so they could be just like all the other nations. Later, they were destroyed by Babylon because they had become just like all the other nations.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Tias posted:

Short answer: no.

Very broadly speaking, they have always been venerated, though said veneration was restricted to esotericist fuckheads and nazis for a while. I know there's no studies or scientific into the matter, but here in Scandinavia (and the baltics) people agree there have been lone, or small groups of, reconstructionist worshippers always,

personal opinion: Our gods are only one of several existing pantheons, and in the absence of organized norse heathens, the other indigenous religions carried on a 'general minimum' of the services required to keep the seasons changing and the old gods happy.

I wish people weren't assholes and you could do a thread about this. I find it interesting, but don't want to muck up this thread too much.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

CountFosco posted:

Also Hegel, wasn't the actual Hegel a huge fan of Napoleon? Iirc
yes and no

right now all i can remember is that he finished his doctoral dissertation while the city he lived in was being attacked, which is a model to us all i think

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Samuel Clemens posted:

That's just the kind of go-getter attitude we need in these tumultuous times.
he's a job creator

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Enderby posted:

All the good English/UK state ceremonies are about resisting the power of the monarch. The slamming of the doors in Black Rod's face, dragging the speaker to the chair (because what elected official would want to have to deal with royalty?), the fact that MPs effect their resignation by taking a paid office of the crown, and most recently Dennis Skinner's unfunny heckles during the queen's speech.
those are all extremely good ceremonies

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HEY GUNS posted:

yes and no

right now all i can remember is that he finished his doctoral dissertation while the city he lived in was being attacked, which is a model to us all i think

the worst thing you can ask a PhD student: "how is your dissertation coming, when are you going to finish?"

the best answer: shortly, my city is being shelled atm

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

the worst thing you can ask a PhD student: "how is your dissertation coming, when are you going to finish?"

the best answer: shortly, my city is being shelled atm
i posted a dude in the milhist thread who finished his dissertation in the trenches of ww1 and then died

i am half a chapter away from having all my chapters done, then gotta write the intro

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i wonder if my grandpa was in the same trench as that dude, unless he was german in which case i wonder if my grandpa was the one who killed him

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

i wonder if my grandpa was in the same trench as that dude, unless he was german in which case i wonder if my grandpa was the one who killed him
that dude was french. want the records i got him from?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Slimy Hog posted:

I wish people weren't assholes and you could do a thread about this. I find it interesting, but don't want to muck up this thread too much.

You are always welcome to PM me with specific questions.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GUNS posted:

that dude was french. want the records i got him from?

i don't know poo poo about dick when it comes to my grandpa other than he served in wwi and got tuberculosis in the trench and managed to not die from it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

we should just find some dead subforum and start a secret political argument thread because it's kinda interesting but entirely off topic and since nothing ever gets completely said everyone ends up with misconstructions of
everyone else's positions

HEY GUNS posted:

yes and no

don't disturb my circles

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GUNS posted:

p. sure st. augustine wrote city of god when his city was besieged by vandals and that heavily influenced just war theology

(spoiler: they killed him eventually)

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

we should just find some dead subforum and start a secret political argument thread because it's kinda interesting but entirely off topic and since nothing ever gets completely said everyone ends up with misconstructions of
everyone else's positions

Please do this. I couldn't care less about your political squabbles and it has started to feel like there are more political posts than ones about Christianity.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

The Phlegmatist posted:

p. sure st. augustine wrote city of god when his city was besieged by vandals and that heavily influenced just war theology

(spoiler: they killed him eventually)

He wrote City of God after the Rome was sacked. He was already sick with the illness that killed him when the Vandals besieged Hippo.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I like the rather freeform nature of this thread personally. People sometimes say things I disagree with or discuss topics I don't care about but that's okay.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Random question: why do we call it sodomy when God very specifically lays out a totally different reason for Sodom's destruction?

"Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had arrogance, abundant food and careless ease, but she did not help the poor and needy."

Caufman
May 7, 2007

To get a little bit confessional, this exhortation to holiness at an opportune time for me.

When I was in college and in the worst midst of my depression, the Sunday Mass was one of the rare moments in the week that I could feel and participate in the presence of God and the healing properties of holiness. In the last year or two, however, my situation has changed significantly. The presence of God is clear to me both inside a church and outside of it. The call for me to love and bear witness is less confused than its ever been. I've come to rely less on observing the rituals of the liturgy, especially going to Mass, which involves one of my most frustrating mundane tasks: getting in my car to have to be somewhere on time.

So I've been praying intentionally on what my relationship to the liturgy ought to be now, now that it's no longer the sole place I feel aware of holiness. The answer I've received, which is reinforced by Pope Francis's formal exhortation, is that I must evolve my perception of the Mass as place I go to for spiritual refuge to a place where I can be of spiritual service to others. I ought to remember first that the celebration of the Mass on Holy Days remains a place where people can consistently participate in holiness despite all other circumstances of their life, and second that I can be a servant to that liturgy.

So please pray for me, my kinfolk-in-Christ, that in these last days of mine and ours, that I be an active servant of the liturgy which sustains much holiness in our world. Pray ceaselessly because I really really fekkin hate punctuality and driving.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Random question: why do we call it sodomy when God very specifically lays out a totally different reason for Sodom's destruction?

"Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had arrogance, abundant food and careless ease, but she did not help the poor and needy."

Queerphobia, I'd bet.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Slimy Hog posted:

I started a brief Hinduism thread but I was too lazy there wasn't enough activity to sustain it so I just plonk the occasional comment about it in here, much like Tias. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Cythereal posted:

someone raped an angel and also they were putting things in each other's butts and it got bad okay.

• Locked thread