Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

indigi posted:

is there anything special about them vs the one you catch in the ultra wormhole?

They're opposite to your version, so it lets you catch Suicune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The new live action Pokemon movie looks great.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2018-730853960

Been playing around with a fun team in VGC18 using Stantler. The idea is to Skill Swap Intimidate onto your opponent so it activates Defiant/Competitive. Still tweaking the team though, but I'm starting to get happy with it.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Just defeated Ghetsis on my personal challenge of White, and the fucker's Hydreigon went down from a critical hit Blizzard off my starter which I didn't even expect to hit!

The level curve skyrockets after the main story. It's like the opposite of Gold and Silver's problem.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Crosspeice posted:

They're opposite to your version, so it lets you catch Suicune.

oh. well I already traded for the one I didn't have so meh

e: goddamn why is Kartana so loving good in the Battle Tree

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I've not played a Pokemon game before and got given a copy of Pokemon Diamond (Didn't realise it was over 10 years old.) It's pretty fun. Is there an advantage to breeding the Pokemon?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

bessantj posted:

I've not played a Pokemon game before and got given a copy of Pokemon Diamond (Didn't realise it was over 10 years old.) It's pretty fun. Is there an advantage to breeding the Pokemon?

It's more of a post-game/pvp thing. You can get certain moves exclusive to breeding - referred to as "egg moves" generally - which can be fun and useful during the story but the other benefits are more of a minmax thing.

A lot of egg moves are really arbitrary though so you probably won't figure a lot of them out on your own (or at least the actually cool/good ones), so if you want to see a specific pokemon's available egg moves I recommend looking it up unless you really want to just experiment.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

bessantj posted:

Not obviously or feasibly for a regular playthrough, sadly. It does let you get more of your starter though, if you have a female or a Ditto.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks, good to know I can just concentrate on leveling all the Pokemon I capture. It's a bit frustrating that I won't be able to evolve them all but I understand evolving by trading has been a thing for a long time.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

bessantj posted:

Thanks, good to know I can just concentrate on leveling all the Pokemon I capture. It's a bit frustrating that I won't be able to evolve them all but I understand evolving by trading has been a thing for a long time.

Yeah, it goes all the way back to Pokemon Red/Blue. Luckily with the internet and goons getting trade evos in modern games is easy.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
Just got a shiny Blacephelon after about a week and a half or so. Right off the heels of getting a shiny Type: Null! Both full odds too, which was awful. But at least that's over with, now I can finally finish up the Ultra Sun post-game content and move on to Ultra Moon...where I was thinking about soft resetting for a shiny starter. I am not very smart apparently.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Plasbad posted:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2018-730853960

Been playing around with a fun team in VGC18 using Stantler. The idea is to Skill Swap Intimidate onto your opponent so it activates Defiant/Competitive. Still tweaking the team though, but I'm starting to get happy with it.

Holy poo poo, I actually faced this team once on battlespot. I was so god drat confused at the pick screen.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
TIL that Granbull is 75% female :monocle:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
how have we not had a pheonix pokemon yet whose evolution line goes baby bird -> egg -> adult bird

bagon is close i suppose, but i think it'd be a neat spin on the usual early-game bird/bug, by combining them into one line

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

ungulateman posted:

how have we not had a pheonix pokemon yet whose evolution line goes baby bird -> egg -> adult bird

bagon is close i suppose, but i think it'd be a neat spin on the usual early-game bird/bug, by combining them into one line

Cosmog goes through a similar form of evolution, with Cosmoem being described as a cocoon that doesn't seem to react to outside stimuli.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It would be decrepit old bird -> egg or nestling -> handsome young bird

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

have it be baby bird, adult bird, decrepit bird. But when it hits lvl 100 it 'evolves' into an egg that hatches into it's 1st evolutionary stage and be lvl 1, with the same nickname if nicknamed.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Are the IVs for caught Pokémon generally higher in this gen than in the previous, or have I been unusually lucky? I have multiple Pokémon with one or more perfect IVs that I caught in Ultra Sun, but of all the Pokémon I ported from previous gens, only one has anything close to exceptional IVs. And it's a Skuntank I named Buttstache.

In other news, Skuntank in Pokémon Refresh is just the best. :allears:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rollersnake posted:

Are the IVs for caught Pokémon generally higher in this gen than in the previous, or have I been unusually lucky? I have multiple Pokémon with one or more perfect IVs that I caught in Ultra Sun, but of all the Pokémon I ported from previous gens, only one has anything close to exceptional IVs. And it's a Skuntank I named Buttstache.

You've been unusually lucky. There's no change in how IVs work. The last change is, to my knowledge at least, still that Pokemon that don't breed come with 3 perfect IVs.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Well, that explains my Blacephalon, at least.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I liked the idea of a psuedo-legend Fairy/Dragon I read on the internet at some point.

Starts off as a big, imposing dragon and gets smaller and cuter as the evolutions go along.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Crawfish posted:

I liked the idea of a psuedo-legend Fairy/Dragon I read on the internet at some point.

Starts off as a big, imposing dragon and gets smaller and cuter as the evolutions go along.

My wife always gets upset that her cute pokemon she picks for being cute evolve into ugly things.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

My wife always gets upset that her cute pokemon she picks for being cute evolve into ugly things.

i am also sad about murkrow

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Oddish manages to step back from the ledge, which is nice.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

RIP Gible, cutest of boys.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I dump my pokémon if they evolve into something too ugly. Ugly-cute, or cool-pretty are both acceptable, but if a pokémon evolves from, say, a donkey into a horse, that pokémon is going in the box.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

FelicityGS posted:

RIP Gible, cutest of boys.

excuse u, Garchomp is super cute

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Rowlet is the one that has it worst out of all.

Rowlet should just evolve into a bigger Rowlet.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

lezard_valeth posted:

Rowlet is the one that has it worst out of all.

Rowlet should just evolve into a bigger Rowlet.

This is a weird stance when Tepig, Rhyhorn, and Timburr exist

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

rhyhorn is trash from a butt compared to rhydon who is top tier

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Emboar is a cool wrestling Ganondorf, while Decidueye is a dumb anime ranger.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

oddium posted:

Rhyhorn is the only good rhino in this forsaken world

G*dbless

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

heracross is a rhinoceros beetle

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

oddium posted:

Rhyhorn is a briliant, all-time great design. Rhydon is the worst stage in that line by far.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

im going to cut you 👺🔪

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
At least we both agree that Rhyperior is excellent.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i'm here to show my support for rhyperior, my powerful friend

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

less laughter posted:

Excellent... For me to poop on!!!!

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Don't know why we're talking about Rhyperior when we could be talking about my good friend Tangrowth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

less laughter posted:

Ahhhhhhh! Don't insult my good friend rhydon by turning him into that abomination!

Rhyhorn is decent, no complaints.