Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

abigserve posted:

If you seriously think apu is an example of a racist stereotype I don't even know what to say

Are you Indian? Indian people have been saying Apu is some racist poo poo for the entire run of the show.
They get to decide, not you. Non Indian opinion on the only recurring Indian character on TV for decades does not matter. How can you possibly think otherwise?

If you can't understand why a white actor doing an accent everyone involved knew was offensive, it's still offensive no matter what you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Scudworth posted:

Are you Indian? Indian people have been saying Apu is some racist poo poo for the entire run of the show.
They get to decide, not you. Non Indian opinion on the only recurring Indian character on TV for decades does not matter. How can you possibly think otherwise?

If you can't understand why a white actor doing an accent everyone involved knew was offensive, it's still offensive no matter what you think.

Just because someone isn't the correct ethnicity doesn't mean they can't have am opinion on an issue just because it's an opinion you don't agree with. What about the Indian guy who doesn't care about apu or think he's offensive. How valid is that guy's opinion?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

pull up

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

What does Apu's accent sound like to a real Indian?
I'm Scottish and Groundskeeper Willie is just so bizarre it's like Dan Castellaneta is working off a vague description of a Scottish accent.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
If doing an accent can be considered racist now I guess yeah then its racist as hell

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

abigserve posted:

If doing an accent can be considered racist now I guess yeah then its racist as hell

If only they had an Indian guy doing the voice of apu. Similarly it is also offensive that the male character Bart is voiced by a woman!!!!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
*Watching minstrel show*

Hm, I sure don't have a problem with this, so I don't see how anyone else could. White people are portrayed as lovable goofs all the time, and you don't hear us complaining!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Miss posted:

pull up

This thread is awful now, much like the Simpsons

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
edit; gently caress it back to to more interesting and less political convo

Haro_Wonderful
Feb 24, 2005

In the middle of a thread Haro forgot to post!
Pork Pro
For me it's hard to say what the lowest point is. I know I haven't downloaded any episodes in almost 4 years, I haven't streamed an episode in about 2 years now, but I know when I stopped losing interest in the show after Ned married Mrs Krabapple (I honestly have no idea how to spell the real version and don't want to start getting pushed ads based off a Simpsons google search) then the awkward silent use of her character when the voice talent died.
After that I started just getting annoyed at how often they redo established flash backs like Homer and Marge early years kinda episodes. It seems to just flip flop on if there is any real continuity to the show. It's as bad as jumping into 90s Marvel comics.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

This thread is awful now, much like the Simpsons

The Lowest point of the "what was the lowest point of the simpsons" thread

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
I think when Homer got on Toadfish's bad side was the lowest point of the Simpsons.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

God Of Paradise posted:

I think when Homer got on Toadfish's bad side was the lowest point of the Simpsons.

Lowest point of Neighbours was when Toadfish invented a popular cocktail he named the Flaming Toad

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

bitterandtwisted posted:

What does Apu's accent sound like to a real Indian?
I'm Scottish and Groundskeeper Willie is just so bizarre it's like Dan Castellaneta is working off a vague description of a Scottish accent.

Used to have a Indian housemate from West Bengal, he seemed to think that Hank Azaria got the accent perfectly, no idea if he saw Apu as problematic or anything, probably barely had even seen the Simpsons considering how unfamiliar he was with a lot of famous western figures Elvis Presly, Three Stooges, etc.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

*Watching minstrel show*

Hm, I sure don't have a problem with this, so I don't see how anyone else could. White people are portrayed as lovable goofs all the time, and you don't hear us complaining!

The reason we white people don't see Apu as a racist caricature (which he definitely is) is because he's been around since 1990, and racist caricatures were commonplace in TV back then. I was 9 years old then and I didn't know any better, and he was just there as I grew up, so I'll even admit that I'm blind to the racism on the surface. The problem is that I have to turn my brain back on, and at 37, I can totally see that everything about Apu is a racist caricature, perhaps the only thing worse would be if he owned the seediest motel in Springfield instead of the Quik-E Mart.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
One of the things about offensive comedy is people will forgive a lot if its actually funny. Even people who are the offended audience. Apu was always offensive but at one point he at least took part in funny episodes. It's somehow worse when it's lovely.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Ah well, that was a real nice secret organization Simpsons thread we had once.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Scudworth posted:

i read this how i imagine a frumpy matron telling someone off for blasphemy would've sounded a hundred years ago and it all fits together

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

NiceGuy posted:

Ah well, that was a real nice secret organization Simpsons thread we had once.

I'm not defending it, shithead.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

abigserve posted:

edit; gently caress it back to to more interesting and less political convo

Literally the definition of privilege right here to be able to say this

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Oh hey, I saw part of this episode when it aired!

quote:

Homer meets Neil deGrasse Tyson, Ken Jennings, Suze Orman, and Robert McKee, and sees them being introduced to a group of young female "students" who are actually life-like humanoid robots that will all get into Yale and earn "financial aid" that gets funneled directly to Bourbon.

Six months later, Homer ruins Bourbon's integration of the robots at Yale University with a microaggression that makes them all explode.

In the final scene, the teachers then start teaching Lisa, Marge, and Bart at the Simpson residence.

This doesn't include that Homer is literally taken to Bourbon's secret island home, all of the guest stars had no more than two lines, and this entire quoted section took place in the last 4 minutes of the episode.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

https://twitter.com/LetItMelo/status/983457224617021441

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

its cool the way they animated marges "nod" by moving her head up and down by exactly ONE pixel. great stuff

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

abigserve posted:

If you seriously think apu is an example of a racist stereotype I don't even know what to say

Indian: the most oppressed minority. Just ask the Bangladeshi people!

Apu plays to a bunch of stereotypes about Indian people in the west almost perfectly up to and including:

-Convenience store clerk, an occupation to which his entire person revolves around(remember Homer and Apu?).
-Works his rear end off to an absurdly comical degree and doesn't perceive anything unusual about it.
-Has a gigantic family.
-Has a funny accent.
-Has a bunch of weird foreign customs that are usually not an actual thing that Indian people do (ie his 'apology' to Homer after he's kicked out of the Kwik-e-mart).

In addition to all that the fact that he's voiced by a white guy doing a stereotypical impression of a racial minority which is literally never a good look. South Asian people, who I think have a right to be concerned about this, have voiced their concern about the character a long time before now, and he's kind of obviously reinforced or added to the kind of nonsense they often get from other people, especially his 'Thank you come again' catchphrase.

He is one of the more rounded characters in the show and has lots of positive attributes, like his vegetarianism and intelligence, but it doesn't really cancel out the issues that people raise about the character.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

abigserve posted:

doing an accent could always be considered racist.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

abigserve posted:

I, also, don't know what to say when other people are correct and I'm acting like a flaming dipshit.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

ExplodingSims posted:

I think a lot of it comes from the general Family Guy-ization of Fox as well. The Simpsons were generally pretty progressive as a whole, but the show is certainly not without its flaws, but ever since Family Guy ruined everything became Fox's flagship the general type of humor has become much more crude. It's now kind of a race to the bottom to see who can be the most offensive.

I don't think Family Guy had any real influence either way on the show's quality. Fox being crude and low-brow was a running joke in the early seasons.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/HonoredSpirit/status/983682903300288513?s=19

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I haven't met anyone that still watches the simpsons but maybe that's just my bubble. How is it still alive?

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Elderbean posted:

I haven't met anyone that still watches the simpsons but maybe that's just my bubble. How is it still alive?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836088

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I hope the internet never finds out about this guy

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That loving clip has broken me

1. Apu didn't start out as inoffensive. He was always offensive. People on the show, people outside of the show, many many people had a problem with Apu from the start

2. Politically Correct Bedtime Stories is a book from 1994. It's a 24 year old joke.

I'm a defender of the show. I've stuck with it since before I was in grade school. I'm 32. I still keep up with the new episodes. I've hated on people in this same thread for talking ugly about nu-Simpsons. But this is loving it. That clip was an animated Trump tweet.

If it was true that nobody cared about or noticed how racist Apu was back in the early 90's and all this stuff was just moving goalposts and not thinking of the past in the proper context, I'd defend the show to the death. But that's a loving fantasy world!!

That's what got me the most about the clip. Who the gently caress was applauding Apu of all characters?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

I hope the internet never finds out about this guy

I don't get it, is he offensive to Dutch people

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
between this and the "liberal snowflakes" college visit, this show is loving dead. it's not funny, not clever, and not even animated well.

the show is the krusty burglar, homer is time, and we are all the little kid screaming that it's already dead

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Don't cry for The Simpsons, they're already dead.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

abigserve posted:

In general, people don't like voice actors to voice different races now, whether they do an accent or not. Bojack Horseman got a lot of poo poo for casting Alison Brie as a Vietnamese woman, and she's just doing her own voice.

Why is it whenever I see a new Simpsons, the cast sound like they're being held hostage in a basement, reading lines at gunpoint? You're getting half a mil an episode you dicks, put some effort into it.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Neurosis posted:

i read this how i imagine a frumpy matron telling someone off for blasphemy would've sounded a hundred years ago and it all fits together

You might want to consider why it's always an unattractive woman in these fantasies of yours...

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

TVIV isn't a CD subforum, is it?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

SEX BURRITO posted:

Why is it whenever I see a new Simpsons, the cast sound like they're being held hostage in a basement, reading lines at gunpoint? You're getting half a mil an episode you dicks, put some effort into it.
If you don't like your job, you don't quit. You just go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Strudel Man posted:

If you don't like your job, you don't quit. You just go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way.

:golfclap: