Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You get a shitload of painkillers, anti-histamines, and hot water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

legsarerequired posted:

What do you do if you get a small cold/sinus infection in China? Googling this, I see lots of stuff on what to do if you need a hospital, but I'm pretty sure I just have some kind of mild sinus irritation or a mild cold from the train.

I went to the pharmacy across the street from my hotel in Zhangjiajie and saw a nasal spray with the label "Astra Zeneca (c) 2014" on the box and then I left lol. Based on google, I'm guessing that's probably my best bet?

http://www.cityweekend.com.cn/china-pharmacy-guide-11-over-counter-remedies

Tylenol Cold is probably your best bet but Baijiahei is also good. If I remember correctly, the bai pills are dayquil and the hei pills are nyquil. I used to take Tylenol Cold a fair deal in Zhengzhou because the winters were like a Polish hellscape painting.

Also, hot water. If they ask if you drink hot water, say yes even if you didn't. The doctor or pharmacist will look at you like you're stupid and not deal with you because you're obviously wasting their time.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 9, 2018

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

http://www.cityweekend.com.cn/china-pharmacy-guide-11-over-counter-remedies

Tylenol Cold is probably your best bet but Baijiahei is also good. If I remember correctly, the bai pills are dayquil and the hei pills are nyquil. I used to take Tylenol Cold a fair deal in Zhengzhou because the winters were like a Polish hellscape painting.

Also, hot water. If they ask if you drink hot water, say yes even if you didn't. The doctor or pharmacist will look at you like you're stupid and not deal with you because you're obviously wasting their time.

Yeah baijiahei is just normal cold medicine. White ones make you not sleepy and black ones make you sleepy. It's my go-to cold medicine, works well and it'll be at any pharmacy.

One thing is any cold medicine or stronger painkiller generally requires you to have your passport with you. They just write down that you bought one box or something, it's not like a big thing, I think cuz people started buying it in bulk to make drugs.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
Thank you for your responses everyone! :)

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

My guide kept telling me to drink hot water yesterday, and I read online about lots of older Chinese people carrying thermoses to keep their water heated. I didn't get it, but I tried heating my bottled water last night and today and I feel immensely better. In the US I only drank hot water to numb a sore throat, but I guess it makes sense that heated water could help thin out the mucus.

I wore my m95 face mask every day in Beijing, but I stopped wearing it when I visited the Yungang grottoes and the Longmen grottoes since I could see the color of the sky instead of just smog. I think this was a mistake, because I started getting headaches and sneezing. Even though I'm in Zhangjiajie to visit the national park and the air pollution sensors say the air is much better here, I still see people smoking everywhere in the park (even next to no-smoking signs) so I'm still wearing my mask everywhere to give my sinuses time to recover. I feel like such a dweeb but I don't wanna get sick. :(

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 10, 2018

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

legsarerequired posted:

My guide kept telling me to drink hot water yesterday, and I read online about lots of older Chinese people carrying thermoses to keep their water heated. I didn't get it, but I tried heating my bottled water last night and today and I feel immensely better. In the US I only drank hot water to numb a sore throat, but I guess it makes sense that heated water could help thin out the mucus.

Yeah, that's the one thing it actually does unless you think your stomach is a yang infused blast furnace.

Everyone does carry hot water or keeps a supply nearby, especially in the country. I used to see what looked like exploded disco balls every now and then on the college campus I taught at and I had no idea what they were. Then I realized it was from students dropping their giant, Depression-era thermoses and them exploding because they were mostly made of glass. They would fill them up at the communal shower building and were given a daily allotment.

EDIT:

I found out they were glass because you could buy them in the school store, which was privately run by some family that got it out of a shady deal. They eventually got shut down after I left because they were allegedly running some gambling parlor out back. All of this was on a college campus and I'm kind of pissed I never got to play cards or mahjong in a smoke filled room with a bunch of nongmin* within 300 yards of my on campus apartment.

*The place was surrounded by corn fields and everyone not a college student or teacher was a literal corn farmer. It was very much in the ethos of Chinese government projects.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 10, 2018

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
I hate to be asking in the thread about visa stuff, but it seems I need to get proactive about this thing.

In China now, been here several years, and moving to a new province/school in late summer. Current visa expiring in June, so I’m going to be reapplying for a new Z visa, it seems.

The only thing not checked off at this point is my notarized degree. Information on how to get this done has been a little inconsistent. It seems neither American consulates, nor the embassy in Beijing are currently providing this service. Alternatives appear to be to exit country and apply at a Chinese embassy abroad, to wrassle directly with the ministry of education through their website, or perhaps to engage the services of an agency.

Would prefer to do it online, but the ministry website hasn’t been cooperative, and I haven’t been able to contact any support staff. Anyone have any experience with this recently?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

iirc you get it notarised and it just says something like "yup, he showed up and showed us a degree cert, no idea if it's real or not" and that does the trick. Probably wrong though

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Minus1Minus1 posted:

The only thing not checked off at this point is my notarized degree. Information on how to get this done has been a little inconsistent. It seems neither American consulates, nor the embassy in Beijing are currently providing this service. Alternatives appear to be to exit country and apply at a Chinese embassy abroad, to wrassle directly with the ministry of education through their website, or perhaps to engage the services of an agency.

Would prefer to do it online, but the ministry website hasn’t been cooperative, and I haven’t been able to contact any support staff. Anyone have any experience with this recently?

im basically in the same situation, at least for california. im pretty much giving up because it wastes so much time and money and HR was absolutely useless
-get the diploma notarized by some loving notary in america that's willing to do it because not all of them will
-mail/take the notarized diploma to the secretary of state to get it certified
-(add an additional step here if you are within Washington DC jurisdiction I think)
-take the notarized certified diploma to the designated chinese embassy/consulate for your state to get it authenticated
-give that authentication to the new employer

Most visa agents cant do the notarizing part but can do the other parts (for hundreds of dollars)

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
so the way it works is that you need to get your college degree. you then need to make a copy of it, and it needs to be notarized and authenticated. the secretary of state can do both of these things and it only takes about 30 minutes. I'm lucky I only live a few hours from the secretary of state in my home state and was home last summer so I did it then. it cost like...I dunno, like 40 bucks or something. get a receipt, your company will reimburse you.

from there, it needs to be authenticated by the Chinese consulate. at this point, I'm going to suggest you do this through mychinavisa.com, as you really, REALLY don't want to be going to the Chinese consulate by yourself and having to deal with this. a coworker said he wanted to try and wishes he hadn't. it's kinda expensive, its a few hundred bucks, but your company will reimburse you, so just get receipts for everything. at that point, it takes like a week I guess, you'll get your copy of your degree back, authenticated and notarized, also with a visa-like page from the Chinese consulate. you've now authenticated, notarized and gotten the AOK from the Chinese consulate. you're now ready to give this to your company.

hope this is helpful.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I've actually got a question and can't find anything about it online. so here's my question, we'll see if anyone knows.

I retired my old passport in November 2017. in it, there is a Chinese, 10 year, multiple entry business visa. it expires in 2027. according to the Chinese government, I can still use this visa if I have both passports, old and new, and information is the same. it is.

I now have a new passport, and in my new passport, I have a work visa and residence permit for my current job. that will end in a few months.

there is no cancellation on the 10 year multiple entry business visa. does anyone know if it is still valid after my RP expires? I'd like to still use it to enter china, if I'm going to be coming back, and I can't seem to find anything online about this. I asked someone who works at the Shenyang consulate and he said because the visa is in my old passport and it wasn't cancelled, I should be able to use it for the next ten years, which would be super dope. but I dunno if that's valid or not.

this is obviously quite a situation and I'm kinda concerned if I bring it to the attention of the immigration official when I arrive in China next time, they'll take me aside and cancel it and then I lost my 10 year multiple entry dope rear end business visa.

any thoughts or comments on this

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
Thanks, TGA!

Hopefully this will work better than flying to Mongolia or something to settle it in the embassy there.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The Great Autismo! posted:

I've actually got a question and can't find anything about it online. so here's my question, we'll see if anyone knows.

I retired my old passport in November 2017. in it, there is a Chinese, 10 year, multiple entry business visa. it expires in 2027. according to the Chinese government, I can still use this visa if I have both passports, old and new, and information is the same. it is.

I now have a new passport, and in my new passport, I have a work visa and residence permit for my current job. that will end in a few months.

there is no cancellation on the 10 year multiple entry business visa. does anyone know if it is still valid after my RP expires? I'd like to still use it to enter china, if I'm going to be coming back, and I can't seem to find anything online about this. I asked someone who works at the Shenyang consulate and he said because the visa is in my old passport and it wasn't cancelled, I should be able to use it for the next ten years, which would be super dope. but I dunno if that's valid or not.

this is obviously quite a situation and I'm kinda concerned if I bring it to the attention of the immigration official when I arrive in China next time, they'll take me aside and cancel it and then I lost my 10 year multiple entry dope rear end business visa.

I think you're bad.

Useless Name
May 3, 2005

simplefish posted:

iirc you get it notarised and it just says something like "yup, he showed up and showed us a degree cert, no idea if it's real or not" and that does the trick. Probably wrong though

Yeah this is so stupid, the notary will make a photocopy of the certificate and then certify it's a real copy, the State will authenticate that it's a real notary, and then the Chinese Embassy will authenticate that it was a real State authentication, at no point did anyone check if the degree is real, and the final document is a photocopy on A4 paper with a bunch of seals and stamps on it.

Oh, there are also companies in China that can authenticate your diploma. I got mine done through it and got to skip all the above steps. I did need to give them the log in ID and password to my university account, but after that the company did everything and I now have a certificate printed in English and Chinese stating my degree is real. It was accepted for the Z-visa.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

so just so everyone knows, I worked this out today, had about a 10 minute talk with an immigration official in Shenyang, and the answer is YES, if you get a 10 year visa and it is never cancelled you can use it whenever you want, as long as you follow all guidelines. so my residency permit is finished in a month or two, whenever it is, but I can enter china as long as I want as long as my 10 year business visa is still valid

anyway, now you all know, congrats

Aelirea
Feb 12, 2015

so just so everyone knows, I worked this out today, had about a 10 minute talk with an immigration official in Shenyang, and the answer is YES, if you get a 10 year visa and it is never cancelled you can use it whenever you want, as long as you follow all guidelines. so my residency permit is finished in a month or two, whenever it is, but I can enter china as long as I want as long as my 10 year business visa is still valid

anyway, now you all know, congrats

Yeah! They're completely separate! (Silly immigration officer fumbled my convenient bookmark-in-passport once and had to ask which specific visa I wanted to use to enter China.) The only way you could get yourself in trouble here is if you entered on your business visa now and tried to work at your job, but that's just a silly technicality. Also, fun fact, apparently you can't have a business and tourist visa at the same time (the older visa gets canceled if you try). I can't tell if somebody smart thought through the consequences of the visa rules to minimize potential violations, because the rules are still a little weird.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Hey everybody. I'm flying to Shanghai tomorrow with some friends. We're going cause we got cheap tickets, and one of us speaks (very) limited Mandarin, and because it seems like a fun adventure. (Going to the consulate in Houston to get our visas was a pretty fun adventure).

We're staying at an Airbnb in the French concession for a few days, then we're going down to Hangzhou and ending the trip with a day or two in Suzhou. We've all traveled a lot, so we know how to travel, more or less, and how to navigate when you don't speak the language, but we've never been to China.

I read the OP of this thread and I've followed the GBS China thread for a long while now so I know nothing's really going to prepare me for getting off the plane, but that's ok. I'm mostly coming to you guys to ask about the basics. Which VPN is best? Can I get my phone on wifi without too much trouble? Know of any good translation apps/phrase book apps? Is there still a goon WeChat group?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you have a roaming plan of some sort you actually can get built in VPN and it’s kind of hard nowadays for visitors to get short term sims.

There’s a few goons in Shanghai and I’m going to Hangzhou / Jiaxing / Shanghai next week.

If you are going to Hangzhou I recommend going to the 4 seasons jinsha restaurant.

Shanghai there’s mr and Mrs bund

Suzhou everything is covered with sugar

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah if you do go sight seeing to the super busy areas go early in the morning like 630 or go to the side streets and off areas.

A good half of the gbs people are sheltered fucks

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Get Google Fi for roaming.

https://fi.google.com/about/plan/

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Does Google Fi work in china cuz that would be cool.

Stalizard posted:

Hey everybody. I'm flying to Shanghai tomorrow with some friends. We're going cause we got cheap tickets, and one of us speaks (very) limited Mandarin, and because it seems like a fun adventure. (Going to the consulate in Houston to get our visas was a pretty fun adventure).

We're staying at an Airbnb in the French concession for a few days, then we're going down to Hangzhou and ending the trip with a day or two in Suzhou. We've all traveled a lot, so we know how to travel, more or less, and how to navigate when you don't speak the language, but we've never been to China.

I read the OP of this thread and I've followed the GBS China thread for a long while now so I know nothing's really going to prepare me for getting off the plane, but that's ok. I'm mostly coming to you guys to ask about the basics. Which VPN is best? Can I get my phone on wifi without too much trouble? Know of any good translation apps/phrase book apps? Is there still a goon WeChat group?

I think Express is what everyone likes now since Astrill has gone down the tubes. It's not super fast but fast enough you'll get your instagrams and facebooks and snapchats, but probably can't get 1080p/60 youtube.

You'll be disappointed in the french concession if the GBS thread is your barometer cuz there and the surrounding area is all newer malls, dunkin donuts and coldstone creameries.

I think Pleco is the best basic Chinese dictionary/quick translation app. It's OCR function costs extra $$$ tho as an in-app purchase iirc tho. The best free OCR is Google's but unless you're on your VPN working and have an active data connection it wont' work, so it might not be the most reliable.

There's a goon wechat group, I dunno what the best way to invite people is now tho???

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

Magna Kaser posted:

Does Google Fi work in china cuz that would be cool.

Yes and oddly it seems to enable browsing certain sites and services I could swear are blocked otherwise...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I assume this is where HK chat happens also! Heading there next week from the 22nd to the 30th and I should probably narrow some stuff down. Will be traveling myself, late 20s, personal travel.

Priorities for me, in no particular order...

1. Eat and drink all the things. I love good food and fancy cocktails. Bonus points for a sweet view to just watch the world whilst paying obnoxious amounts for booze.
2. Get some shopping in, mostly clothes. Under no illusions of having "bespoke" stuff made; I'm not a freakish weird body type and rather have an idea of getting some nicely tailored suits in a few colors and materials, plus shirts with some specific patterns in mind.
3. Soak in the cyberpunk'ness of the city (much like Tokyo)
4. What's the deal with Kowloon? Was told it's worth a visit if not only for the view of the HK downtown skyline from it.
5. Should probably visit a temple at some point to get my culture on.
6. Victoria Peak looks like a gorgeous view and must do at sunset?
7. I've heard Macau is worth a jaunt for a day, C/D? I'm not a high-rolling gambler by any means.

My only familiarity with HK is from 90s action movies and Sleeping Dogs, so it's essentially zero.

Hit me with cool poo poo to do, or if you're a HK goon that wants to hang out.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

ExpressVPN is pretty good in my experience, but let one of the goons currently in China recommend one. Good luck getting WiFi without a Chinese phone number though, everything has the password texted to you. That or WeChat. You can usually sweet talk someone into giving you the password if you point at the WiFi menu on your phone and look confused though.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

caberham posted:

Oh yeah if you do go sight seeing to the super busy areas go early in the morning like 630 or go to the side streets and off areas.

quick note that almost nothing in shanghai is open before 9am, and shopping malls 10am.
If sightseeing involves mountains and stuff and not urban sights then 6:30 is fine

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

movax posted:

I assume this is where HK chat happens also! Heading there next week from the 22nd to the 30th and I should probably narrow some stuff down. Will be traveling myself, late 20s, personal travel.

1. Eat and drink all the things. I love good food and fancy cocktails. Bonus points for a sweet view to just watch the world whilst paying obnoxious amounts for booze.
2. Get some shopping in, mostly clothes. Under no illusions of having "bespoke" stuff made; I'm not a freakish weird body type and rather have an idea of getting some nicely tailored suits in a few colors and materials, plus shirts with some specific patterns in mind.
4. What's the deal with Kowloon? Was told it's worth a visit if not only for the view of the HK downtown skyline from it.
7. I've heard Macau is worth a jaunt for a day, C/D? I'm not a high-rolling gambler by any means.

My only familiarity with HK is from 90s action movies and Sleeping Dogs, so it's essentially zero.

Yeah let's do it. Unfortunately I'm out of town from Tuesday onwards, but let me see if we can do a goon meet on 22/23.

Kowloon is very very fun and different , if you want to see cramped dank cyber punk stuff it's the place to go. Kowloon city is the place of inspiration for sleeping dogs

Temples here are so-so. There's the big Buddha by the airport you can go there before you leave HK, or you can go to a small one. But at least people still go there and it's more authentic than the ones in China.

Victoria peak sunset is nice but if you want caberham's secret sky palace sky to earth view we can skip it.

Macau is fun to walk around the cobble streets and the food there is pretty good too.

Since you are a Mod you can crash in my couch for a few days and help me clean my house and take out the trash.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I guess it's more fun if we go out and eat Muslim food but if I ask my other HK goon friends everyone kinda groans "KOWLOON CITY? AGAIN?????“ I have been doing this for ages.

Or we can just chill out and I will throw a BBQ.

My wechat is caberham by the way,

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

movax posted:

1. yeah I will take you for an obscenely priced cocktail with an obscenely good view. make sure you are not wearing shorts/sandals
2. Plenty of places, walk down Nathan Road in Tsim Sha Tsui (TST) in Kowloon, there are about 100 Indians handing out cards trying to get business, no shortage of shops on the island side either but no soliciting Indians
3. Again, you probably want to go Kowloon side for this. That's where the big neon sign pictures tend to be taken, though you can find similar but smaller on island side
4. Who told you that? Sounds like they live on the island and rarely leave it. Kowloon's where it's at for touristy markets and dive-ier bars and luxury brand shopping. Catch the Star Ferry across.
5. Man Mo temple in Sheung Wan for the juxtaposition of heritage surrounded by skyscrapers, if you want a bigger temple with more bustle about it, hit up Tin Hau temple in Yau Ma Tei. If you want the biggest most touristy temple, head up to Wong Tai Sin on the MTR green line. e: joke answer, go to the Big Buddha on Lantau Island. It's the only Buddha statue in the world that faces China instead of the sun, I've heard. It was built by the Chinese Space Agency. Space Buddha rides again. Don't get me wrong, I mean it's nice enough to go and see, and you can get a cable car up too if that's your bag, but it's not really a temple experience.
6. Yes, and do go for the sunset - first thing in the morning can be a bit foggy if the weather's wrong for you, but that all burns off by sunset no matter what, and the sunset is beautiful anyway. Pay the few bucks extra to get on the roof (I thought everyone would, but one person visited and didn't, so I guess it bears saying), take the free audio tour. Take the Peak Tram up, don't go at the weekend, the queues will be horrendous. There is a bus goes from the Central Ferry Piers too, but avoid taxis. I guess getting one up is okay but taxis try to price gouge on the way down. Also any day of the week, if you stay til just after sunset you're gonna be queuing however you try to get down.
7. I wasn't all that taken with Macau. I'd suggest going to one of the Outlying Islands (Cheung Chau probably, you can also do Peng Chau or Lamma or whatever) instead.

Also ride the tram. You can get it at Kennedy Town and ride the whole way to Shau Kei Wan. Grab some beers and a front seat, bring your camera. takes a couple of hours but if you get bored you can always jump off early and get the MTR back to wherever you like.

Eat Dafu Fa if you go to an island, or even if you don't. Cold not hot (unless it's pissing down with rain). Lots of orange sugar.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 20, 2018

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

caberham posted:

Kowloon is very very fun and different , if you want to see cramped dank cyber punk stuff it's the place to go. Kowloon city is the place of inspiration for sleeping dogs

Don't you think Mong Kok/Yau Ma Tei is better for this? Kowloon City is your Thai food, Walled City Park and Old Airport

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Take him to Tuen Mun or Tin Shui Wai

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Since I just left Kunming I thought I might do a bit of an effortpost on Kunming and Yunnan in case anyone wants to travel around there. Keep in mind I wasn't there too long and I haven't been able to hit some of the bigger tourist spots so use this at your own risk. However, if you have questions about traveling in Yunnan, feel free to ask me and at the very least I can get some advice from family out here who have traveled all over the place around here.

Yunnan
Yunnan is a pretty large but pretty rural province in the south/southwest edge of China. You have Sichuan to the north, Tibet to the northwest, Myanmar to the west and south, Thailand, Laos and Vietnam to the south, and the Chinese provinces of Guangxi and Guizhou to the east. It is one of the poorest provinces in China and focuses mostly on farming, tourism and trade (though it is a landlocked province).

Yunnan is a southern Chinese province and therefore central heating/AC are not common, but the weather can vary depending on where in the province you're going so plan ahead and pack accordingly. Kunming has plenty of places to buy clothes to prepare, but if you're a large westerner then you might need to order some things from Taobao ahead of time.

Yunnan does have a local dialect but if you can understand regular Mandarin you shouldn't have too much trouble. If you can understand Sichuan or Guizhou dialects, Yunnan's is very similar. Ethnic minorities mostly have their own dialects as well (I've heard Dai and Thai are pretty close). English ability tends to be poor especially outside of Kunming, Dali and Lijiang as Yunnan's tourism industry is mostly geared towards Chinese travelers. Yunnan is also infamous for scammers so if you look like a foreigner you'll get scammed as such. That being said, tour guides and groups exist and there are a decent number of foreigners in Kunming and Dali if you need help.

DO NOT GO TO YUNNAN DURING THE MAJOR CHINESE HOLIDAYS. DO NOT GO TO YUNNAN DURING THE MAJOR CHINESE HOLIDAYS. DO NOT GO TO YUNNAN DURING THE MAJOR CHINESE HOLIDAYS. (Actually Kunming isn't bad but it's empty and everything is closed so still, don't bother)

Come to Yunnan if you like:
- The outdoors
- Hiking
- Riding bicycles, scooters or motorcycles
- Tea and/or coffee
- Chinese ethnic minority cultures
- Spicy food (but not Hunan or even Sichuan/Chongqing levels of spicy)

If none of those float your boat, I'll honestly say Yunnan should probably be lower on your list of places to visit.

Places to visit (in no particular order):
- Shilin Stone Forest (day trip/2 hrs from Kunming)
- Anning (hot springs town an hour from Kunming)
- Yuanyang Terraces (overnight trip/5 hrs from Kunming)
- Dali
- Lijiang
- Shangrila
- Ruili
- Xishuangbanna
- Pu'er

BE WARY OF DRIVING IN YUNNAN - just because the actual distance isn't that far doesn't mean it'll be a short drive. Yunnan is very mountainous and those mountain roads are not often well-kept. Driving from Kunming to Dali isn't bad, but I'd suggest flying from Kunming to Xishuangbanna unless you have plenty of time and/or camping equipment. Gas is also expensive so flying usually ends up being cheaper anyway. That said, there's always cool poo poo to see when driving around Yunnan so if you have the time and the money then do it, just drive slow and safe.

Suggested routes:
- Kunming -> Dali -> Lijiang -> Shangrila (-> Tibet)
- Kunming -> (fly) Pu'er -> Xishuangbanna (or just fly Kunming -> Xishuangbanna) (-> Thailand: Chiang Rai -> Chiang Mai)
- Kunming -> (fly) Ruili (-> Myanmar)

Kunming
I'll just say that Kunming is a jumping-off point for traveling around Yunnan since the city itself doesn't have too much going on. It's a city of about 5-7 million people depending on how to define it, but in many ways it's a large backwater town. For a while Yunnan and Kunming in particular were known for corruption and only recently has the government made a serious effort (praise Xi) to clean it up, but the city still doesn't have that much money to use for things like marketing, infrastructure, etc. If you want a good glimpse at Chinese "Beverly Hillbillies" this is a great place to see it.

Weather: The air is clean for most of the year. The temperature usually hovers around 20-25C though it can get 10-15 or colder in the winter, and if it isn't sunny (or at night) the temperature can get pretty chilly year-round so dress in layers. There is a rainy season and Kunming does flood easily so from about May/June through September/October you can expect rain more often than not.

Kunming has been recently going for the "Civilized Kunming" status and so every year from late Spring through early Autumn the government cracks down on crazy traffic (enforcing right-of-way for pedestrians) as well as street food. Late fall through winter and just after the spring festival you can find street food and barbecue carts throughout the city (aim for the halal ones).

Traffic isn't too bad in the city and there are only two metro lines (N/S and E/W) so renting a car isn't a bad idea, especially if you decide to make your way out to Dali. However gas in China isn't cheap, so going the bus/metro route is a good way to limit costs.

Things to see:
- Dounan Flower Market: Kunming and specifically the Dounan market is one of the largest flower marketplaces in Asia and IIRC THE largest for SE Asia, and flowers are one of the major exports/trades for Kunming. I personally think it is impressive. Can easily use the metro to get here.
- Luosiwan: if you want to see a massive shopping complex to get cheap cheap stuff... seriously the scale of this thing blew my mind. Can also use the metro to get here.
- Dianchi Lake
- Green Lake: there are migratory red-billed gulls that come here to chill during the winter. Also has The Park Bar & Restaurant where you can shoot some pool.
- Wenlinjie: Westerner area near the old campuses of the major Yunnan universities. Tons of overpriced mediocre western food and coffee. Also a main area for bars.
- Shuncheng Mall (also Nanpingjie area/Baoshan street, has a decent paella restaurant)
- Street markets: Zhuangxin
- Yiliang 宜良城 : cool small town an hour from Kunming, has a really scenic road (fukuanxian) on the way and you can find some delicious little farmer eating spots like 野生菌农家乐 nearby
- Spirit Tribe: a, uh... hippie psytrance music festival and commune just outside of Kunming
- Anning: hot springs
- Shilin Stone Forest
- That wildflower place we went with the fake choir

Food:
- Erkuai 饵块 (this place is near the corner of Wujing road and Chuncheng road): basically pounded steamed rice into a chewy rice cake, often used similar to a tortilla wrapped around sausage with rich slightly spicy sauce or around churros with sweet peanut sauce... okay this is like my favorite snack here so just do me a favor and try it, either the sweet or savory fillings
- Ersi: very similar to Korean rice cake, a Yunnan specialty (the place I listed also does decent guo mixian rice noodle bowls)
- Blood mixian - rice noodle bowls are one of the most common dishes in Yunnan and this place does it with cubes of blood and pork cracklin' and pork chitlins and it's awesome, they also do good guoqiao mixian
- Guoqiao mixian 过桥米线 - you can find this in quite a few places, it's one of the signature Yunnan dishes, the blood noodle place does a pretty decent version and I would suggest wherever you get this, spend at least 40RMB on it to get a good set (but DO NOT get it at the airport the airport food sucks)
- Rose cake (Happy Miss bakeries, get fresh ones don't mess with the pre-packaged poo poo, can get at Shuncheng Mall)
- Manna Yunnan food (overpriced)
- Going to plug my family's place here for good but cheap Yunnan food: Mengxiangju
- Cantina (if you need western food that isn't fast food, this is probably the best Italian in town if not the best western food in town)
- Street food - find it wherever, here's a decent place to find some (that bus station in the middle)
- If you want to be edgy you can find dog meat here but tbh it's not great
- Steam pot chicken
- Mushrooms (expensive even during the mushroom season)
- Dai food
- Goat cheese

Nightlife:
- Cocktail place
- DT Bar: cool little dive bar and live music venue, usually young crowd (if they have a rap battle contest going on, check it out as Kunming's got some talent)
- Space Plus
- Turtle Bar
- Moondog Bar
- Valhalla Brewery

Things to do:
- GoKunming.com

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

movax posted:

Ritz Carlton at ICC for cocktail and view.
Also the Intercontinental for 8pm laser show.

Victoria Peak is dope.

Macau worth two days IMO. One for the main island and one for Cotai.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Macau is also good if you want to see what trashy Vegas was back before it got un-mobbed and cleaned up.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Macau's Old City Center is an amazing place with incredibly well preserved Mediterranean architecture and history that is definitely worth visiting even if you have no interest in casinos

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheReverend posted:

Also the Intercontinental for 8pm laser show.

This is very, very overrated, from a person stayed there several days.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

The Intercontinental or the light show?

Light show I'd say is worth seeing if you're around TST anyway, it's not something you get elsewhere really. But I wouldn't travel an hour on public transport to arrive early and reserve a spot along the harbourfront

I do not know what the Intercontinental is like

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I like the light show.

Also, Macau sucks.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

simplefish posted:

The Intercontinental or the light show?

Light show I'd say is worth seeing if you're around TST anyway, it's not something you get elsewhere really. But I wouldn't travel an hour on public transport to arrive early and reserve a spot along the harbourfront

I do not know what the Intercontinental is like

Its a hotel right on the water. There is a very large dining room right on the water, and you can also walk outside on the waterfront.

If you want to spend alot of money stay there, it is nice.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Bloodnose posted:

Macau's Old City Center is an amazing place with incredibly well preserved Mediterranean architecture and history that is definitely worth visiting even if you have no interest in casinos

I suppose if you haven't lived in a mediæval Mediterranean town then the cobbled streets and buildings are interesting. But it's crowded and the main thing to do there is go in crowded bakeries or antique shops and the church is ruins and the fort didn't have much going on but yeah it was nice to walk around outside I suppose. The brightly painted houses, sure that's well-preserved, but since it was obvious it was only dolled up for tourism it felt a little bit Disneyfied.

But that's not my idea of a good time that takes a day of a trip and costs for the ferry each way. Ferry is super busy too late night end of weekend so that isn't fun either.

Maybe I am just a grumpy old git. I am happy that people can like things and am genuinely glad bloodnose and caberham like Macao. But since you asked for opinions, that's mine

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

simplefish posted:

The brightly painted houses, sure that's well-preserved, but since it was obvious it was only dolled up for tourism it felt a little bit Disneyfied.

There is a lot more to the old town than just Senado Square. Last time we visited, we were wandering some of the side streets and came upon Sun Yat-sen's old home that is now a museum operated by the Kuomintang. As a rule, stay away from places with Chow Tai Fook and Sha Sha and you will find cool stuff and it won't be too crowded.