Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

potatocubed posted:

I'm actually kind of disappointed that the KS version seems to be something quite different, but still interested enough to back, so.

How is it different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

OH man. My friends had Dark Tower. What a great game.

We had Omega Virus and I'm still mad we left the batteries in and the speaker corroded. That was a fun game!

Oh god, thank you! This reminded me that I forgot to take the batteries out of my Omega Virus last time my group played it.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

True Messiah is coming up on its last 48 hours, so I'm going to bat for it one last time. It's an abstract with card drafting mechanics themed around post apocalyptic cults duking it out while your messiah influences the flow through miracles. Give it a look if you're interested, since it's still got about $6k to go.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I just got an e-mail about Star Crossed, and it may just be the adorable Jess Fink artwork, but I can't help thinking of this as 'The most delicious kind of Dread'.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So it’s Jenga with extra steps?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It's a scaling resolution mechanic. You could just make it work with similarly with dice. The first success is nearly certain, but each success decreases the probability of further successes. But this method has a nice, physical feel to it, and gives the players more investment than a random roll.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Good Dog, Bad Zombie is in its last couple days. It goes a little far on the hoomans and doggos and Central Bark stuff for me, but it also seems like a competent "things pop up" co-op that my kids (and non-gamer visitors) will like.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't get the new Zombicide game. The game is Space Marines vs Alien Zombies, but make all the sculpts super lame so it can't be compared to Space Hulk or Dark Imperium. But then they do an expansion pack that's nothing but counts as Commissar or Inquisitor models.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Small heads are small

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Polish your skulls and bolt down your scalp, the Trenchcoat Troops are in town.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
If you liked dread and you like romancing people, perhaps you'll enjoy Star Crossed: The Two-Player Game of Forbidden Love

quote:

Savor two characters’ irresistible (but probably doomed) attraction in this deliciously fun tabletop game!

Develop characters who are irresistibly drawn to each other.Build a world that keeps them apart. Pull from the tower to find out what happens.

Star Crossed is a two-player game about really, really wanting to, when you really, really can’t.

Playing Star Crossed will feel like being pulled in two directions at once–like when your head and heart are telling you two different things, or when what you want and what you believe in are impossible to reconcile. The game is simple, quick, and filled with delicious moments of excitement, tension, and occasional heartbreak.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bullypulpitgames/star-crossed-the-two-player-game-of-forbidden-love

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't get the new Zombicide game. The game is Space Marines vs Alien Zombies, but make all the sculpts super lame so it can't be compared to Space Hulk or Dark Imperium. But then they do an expansion pack that's nothing but counts as Commissar or Inquisitor models.

i love the lil babby mag on the handguard of marias gun :kimchi:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i love the lil babby mag on the handguard of marias gun :kimchi:

I love Andrei's engraved feedbag. The grimmest of oats for the inquisitor on the go.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Journey Away looks neat -- a fantasy RPG that deliberately de-emphasises combat in favour of exploration and adventures.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'll have to look into that, deemphasizing combat always gets my attention.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't get the new Zombicide game.

Ready Player One just came out at the cinema.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey all, tonight I'm doing a Q&A to promote my Kickstarter at 7:30pm Central over on RPGnet's chatroom. Feel free to stop on by and ask me anything, including politically loaded gotcha-questions!

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

potatocubed posted:

Journey Away looks neat -- a fantasy RPG that deliberately de-emphasises combat in favour of exploration and adventures.

Cool concept! I'm a bit worried that the author doesn't seem to have heard about stuff like Ryuutama, and in the "what are your credentials" FAQ answer is basically just talking about Pathfinder.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Also there's almost nothing about the game. It honestly kind of sounds like a weird mashup of Donjon's compared dicepools and Polaris's GMless adjacent-player narration.

Which... uh, sounds kind of cool in an outsider art kind of way, now that I've said it like that.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

inklesspen posted:

Cool concept! I'm a bit worried that the author doesn't seem to have heard about stuff like Ryuutama, and in the "what are your credentials" FAQ answer is basically just talking about Pathfinder.

Yeah, that's my issue with it too.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

It feels like the theme is pretty weak, I guess in service to being able to fit in references to dozens of different franchises as bonus characters. Weak theme in a boardgame where 80% of what you're paying for is the minis does not make me very enthusiatic, though.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

golden bubble posted:

Is there anything to this game besides being anime thunderstone/ascension/star realms/etc?

Dominion but better more like?

Less creepy than Tanto Coure. So that's a plus!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
On crappy kickstarter news, Super Dungeon Explore is still a gently caress up and like... 1.5 years late with no sign of going to factory. Who knew that the people who helped out with Robotech would mess something up?
Last update was basically "we are giving up trying to give out any schedule information cause we have no idea what is going on" and then one of the heads of the company gave an interview stating something about never using kickstarter again because it is toxic. Hmm.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I am so thrilled that I never backed SDE.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

It feels like the theme is pretty weak, I guess in service to being able to fit in references to dozens of different franchises as bonus characters. Weak theme in a boardgame where 80% of what you're paying for is the minis does not make me very enthusiatic, though.

I guess if you're running something sci-fi and want a decent variety of miniatures it's not the worst for that. Fragged Empire game was talking about it's use for that game, but even then it feels like such an investment.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

LordAba posted:

On crappy kickstarter news, Super Dungeon Explore is still a gently caress up and like... 1.5 years late with no sign of going to factory. Who knew that the people who helped out with Robotech would mess something up?
Last update was basically "we are giving up trying to give out any schedule information cause we have no idea what is going on" and then one of the heads of the company gave an interview stating something about never using kickstarter again because it is toxic. Hmm.

I got a refund 6 months ago

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

LordAba posted:

As a backer of Rail Raiders, I am -1000000% surprised. gently caress that company.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I really like the look of the Black Void RPG. It has really good art and a psychedelic mixed with bronze age aesthetic that I haven't seen elsewhere.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Agrias120 posted:

As a backer of Rail Raiders, I am -1000000% surprised. gently caress that company.

Yeah, they've gone under the radar as far as disasters go, but I'm sure most backers are perfectly aware.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I really like the look of the Black Void RPG. It has really good art and a psychedelic mixed with bronze age aesthetic that I haven't seen elsewhere.

I mean the art's neat but reading that page gave me approximately zero idea of what the game itself is actually like.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, that seems to be the theme lately. I just saw Wingless and it's got all the hallmarks of a Apoc-era heartbreaker. The theme seems interesting (you're all guardian angels), but they want 15 bucks for a pdf, 20 for a exclusive extra playbook, and 30 for three extra TBD ones beyond that. All with no art examples, 40% of the book not done, and no examples of playbooks. It doesn't even list the stats, just the core moves.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 13, 2018

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, that seems to be the theme lately. I just saw Wingless and it's got all the hallmarks of a Apoc-era heartbreaker. The theme seems interesting (you're all guardian angels), but they want 15 bucks for a pdf, 20 for a exclusive extra playbook, and 30 for three extra TBD ones beyond that. All with no art examples, 40% of the book not done, and no examples of playbooks. It doesn't even list the stats, just the core moves.

Also, and I don't want to cast aspersions because I'm hardly the sort of person to think that any amount of money is unimportant, but why is he setting his funding at $500? That's an oddly low amount even for a passion project you don't expect to make a profit on because in terms of a budget it practically is nothing. Is he doing all his own art? All his own layout? It doesn't look like there's any sort of hardcopy version being offered, it's all pdf, so at least there aren't any shipping or fulfillment costs to worry about, but if you're going to Kickstart a game why set your funding threshold so low? This dude's gonna get less than a thousand bucks out of this and I'm guessing the result is going to be extremely half-assed.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Kai Tave posted:

Also, and I don't want to cast aspersions because I'm hardly the sort of person to think that any amount of money is unimportant, but why is he setting his funding at $500? That's an oddly low amount even for a passion project you don't expect to make a profit on because in terms of a budget it practically is nothing. Is he doing all his own art? All his own layout? It doesn't look like there's any sort of hardcopy version being offered, it's all pdf, so at least there aren't any shipping or fulfillment costs to worry about, but if you're going to Kickstart a game why set your funding threshold so low? This dude's gonna get less than a thousand bucks out of this and I'm guessing the result is going to be extremely half-assed.

I didn't even notice that. Yeah, that's a pretty low bar to have to clear and wouldn't even cover a decent week of work, a piece of art for the cover, and an hour or two with an editor if he just squeaks by with the 700 he already has.

Shattered Tower looks like another heartbreaker, but it's like 11 bucks for the PDF tier, which isn't too bad at all. Again, no rules sampling for the mechanics and it's a generic-sounding d6 system. Almost certainly wouldn't back it, but it has nice art and I like the ideas its presenting, at least. They also seem like they did their homework on how much things are going to cost, which is always nice to see.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Echophonic posted:

Shattered Tower looks like another heartbreaker, but it's like 11 bucks for the PDF tier, which isn't too bad at all. Again, no rules sampling for the mechanics and it's a generic-sounding d6 system. Almost certainly wouldn't back it, but it has nice art and I like the ideas its presenting, at least. They also seem like they did their homework on how much things are going to cost, which is always nice to see.

lol

quote:

Risks and Challenges

Creating and producing a brand new Table Top RPG, with an unusual but efficient d6 system, set in an extremely vast original setting, from beginning to end, with all that comes with it.. isn't that a hell of a challenge?!

Hell Yeah, it is! you can bet on it.. you could even go ALL-IN on it!

But we're warriors, adventurers, dreamers, GAMERS.. aren't we?!
..well, for sure we do like a little bit of challenge in our nerdilicious life. oh yeah!

Weird punctuation and capitalization transcribed as-is. Thanks but no thanks.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Don't forget the 500 euro tier that gets you a virtual meeting with some first time game designers!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kai Tave posted:

I mean the art's neat but reading that page gave me approximately zero idea of what the game itself is actually like.

Yeah, I want to read the free QuickStart beta when I get a chance.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

LordAba posted:

Yeah, I've had a sinking feeling for the past few months that it's never going to deliver and the company is going to either fold or just operate in denial for the next couple of years as they post more useless "lore" updates that they pull out of their asses.

They're actively ignoring their backers, which is really bad after they posted a gigantic apology update last fall. Of course, they only posted that apology because they were running the Starfinder miniatures Kickstarter campaign and had to stop the rush of $1-pledge backers coming into the comments section to bad-mouth them.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Sorry if this has been posted before but does anyone have any insight on

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1426761469/true-messiah-a-game-of-post-apocalyptic-cult-warfa?ref=7whd8d

It looks kind of neat.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Stormgale posted:

Sorry if this has been posted before but does anyone have any insight on

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1426761469/true-messiah-a-game-of-post-apocalyptic-cult-warfa?ref=7whd8d

It looks kind of neat.

I've been pushing for it previously. The maker hasn't been doing the greatest job managing his campaign, probably due to KS inexperience, but the game itself looks very solid with an interesting theme. It's in its final hours and is pretty close to funding, and he's said he won't be trying again, so this is probably the last chance to get in on it.

I met him personally at a convention and took a look at the game and was impressed. Here's my effort post on it from earlier:

E: he restarted the campaign at a lower funding goal, hence the canceled link in my old post.

FunkMonkey posted:

Hey, I wanted to raise awareness for a boardgame kickstarter from a local developer, True Messiah. This is the second and last attempt to Kickstart it, after the first one only raised about half the goal, and he's basically funding at a considerable financial loss at the current goal just because he wants to get it published.

True Messiah is a 1v1 or 2v2 abstract with a blind-bid card drafting mechanic. The concept is a post-apocalyptic world caused by the invention of an engine that channels collective belief into reality. Sadly, someone left the dial at 11 when they turned it on and a whole world's worth of :matters: basically destroys society overnight. Out of the ashes rises four cults, each lead by a titular messiah who can tap into the Belief Engine to harvest their flock's faith to create "miracles." Players control each cult as they compete to determine the one true representative of God on earth. Basically, you're Mad Max Jesus.

You can see the rules and some videos on the KS, but the core of the gameplay is moving your Messiah and militant cultists around the grid as they build temples, recruit followers, and rumble with the other cults. Combat is interesting because you can only attack a single target, but multiple targets can engage one target, so you're incentivized to "flank" targets by positioning your units on multiple sides while the beefiest unit takes the retaliatory blow. Alternatively, you can set your cultists to praying, which gives you the faith currency to play miracle cards that can affect the board and units. Cultists can even start praying on another player's turn so you can cast instant reactionary miracles. At the end of every turn, new miracle cards are placed on the market where you can blind bid for them using gold. A player loses either when their Messiah loses too much health or they're so starved of faith that they can't maintain a full miracle hand.

Do other games do similar things better? Probably, but I had the chance to observe the developer showcasing it at a con in 2016 and it looked pretty solid, and the artwork on the miracle cards and overall aesthetic are really slick and distinct. If you like the theme and want to support Chicago indie boardgame developers, give it a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Also worth mentioning that he folded the first two stretch goals into the basic funding, for what that's worth.