Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

I just love the funny way he says "OH MY god" there when the tube breaks

:allears:

That one moment was funny. Then I kept watching.

The arguments are funny enough, but the schtick is grating beyond words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
I nevere liked the idea of a borg queen, but I always thought 5 or 10 minutes introducing a new second officer for the Enterprise and then having her be assimilated as the body of the queen would have been a good set up for the movie. Kind of a parallel to Locutus.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
As long as she makes sure to point out that her oath of celibacy is on record.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If I was getting assimilated, I'd hope my captain puts me out of my misery.

Roughnecks!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sash! posted:

Roughnecks!

Jean-Luc's Roughnecks!

Hooooah!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Mr. Crusher, you have the bridge.

Until you die, or I find someone better.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That's cute, but you sure better not be watching Voyager instead of DS9

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Watching DS9 takes up too much brainpower, you gotta pay for that kind of time and energy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kibayasu posted:

Watching DS9 takes up too much brainpower, you gotta pay for that kind of time and energy.

In a thread filled with warp particles, salamander gently caress fests, a lack of vac seens and God knows what else ... Jeb! trying to pull that poo poo is still either the most ridiculous thing or the greatest troll this thread has ever seen.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The Bloop posted:

That's cute, but you sure better not be watching Voyager instead of DS9

I'm not but all the clips and gifs I've seen make it look amazing

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm not but all the clips and gifs I've seen make it look amazing

If most of the clips and gifs involved The Doctor that is understandable.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
:black101: Mr. Riker, what is the moral difference, if any, between a Starfleet Officer, and a Borg Drone?
:downs: The difference lies in the field of civic virtue. A Starfleet Officer accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he is a member, defending it, if need be, with his life. The Borg Drone does not.
:black101: The exact words of the book. But do you understand it? Do you BELIEVE it?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Angry Salami posted:

One thing I really like about the Queen is that she's assembled; you can imagine that 90% of the time those arms and legs and bits are all in storage, only brought out when the Collective runs the numbers and decides, yeah, this is a situation where a humanoid avatar is worth using, before taking her apart again when the situation is resolved. And the disembodied head and spinal chord is a great body-horror image.

Yeah. Voyager had a dumb line in late-season episode where the Queen says she used to be a member of such and such species before she was assimilated. I never liked that. Since we're shown in FC the Borg can synthesize flesh, my interpretation was always that they built her from the ground up and grew the flesh that surrounds that robot skull and spinal cord.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Being a borg seems great and I'd prefer people not try to kill my body in order to "save" "me" in some sick, racist fantasy.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I always got the idea (from FC at least) that she's only an individual in the sense that the Collective is an individual. She is the Collective, it's not like some sort of leadership role.

Of course, that means the Collective is horny on main but I buy that.

I forget, does anyone actually call her the Borg Queen in the movie?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Zurui posted:

I always got the idea (from FC at least) that she's only an individual in the sense that the Collective is an individual. She is the Collective, it's not like some sort of leadership role.

Of course, that means the Collective is horny on main but I buy that.

I forget, does anyone actually call her the Borg Queen in the movie?

Nope. She she just calls herself "The Borg."

I wonder if our perception of that character would be different if the term "Queen" never got thrown around. I recognize the writers had to call her something, but I always felt like that description kind of pigeonholed her.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 10, 2018

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I think there's that and also a lot of retroactive loathing after Voyager absolutely scuttled the concept.

A similar thing happened for me when I watched Voyager and then went back to TNG/DS9 to find that the Maquis were unreasonable terrorists, not friends with a different point of view.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Nope. She she just calls herself "The Borg."

I wonder if our perception of that character would be different if the term "Queen" never got thrown around. I recognize the writers had to call her something, but I always felt like that description kind of pigeonholed her.

For sure. Queen means leader or ruler. If she had been the Voice or the Will it would have painted her in an entirely different light and made her a face for the collective.

Of course the collective was always a scary idea by itself and didn't need a face so whatever, but Queen really craps on the idea of a collective and makes the Borg out to be a hive that she rules.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sunday at work posted:

For sure. Queen means leader or ruler. If she had been the Voice or the Will it would have painted her in an entirely different light and made her a face for the collective.

Of course the collective was always a scary idea by itself and didn't need a face so whatever, but Queen really craps on the idea of a collective and makes the Borg out to be a hive that she rules.

I mean, the term is more appropriately applied from insects than directly from human royalty.

Queen ants or bees or termites don't direct the individual workers by issuing orders, they are merely one function in what many consider a large collective organism.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So here's a question: Did the Borg and the Dominion ever fight? It would actually have been canny of the Founders if they'd made the Vorta and the Jem'hadar unassimilateable somehow - they themselves would probably be much the same.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Nessus posted:

So here's a question: Did the Borg and the Dominion ever fight? It would actually have been canny of the Founders if they'd made the Vorta and the Jem'hadar unassimilateable somehow - they themselves would probably be much the same.

I don't read the novels, but I'm sure there is a novel out there with this exact idea.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yeah. Voyager had a dumb line in late-season episode where the Queen says she used to be a member of such and such species before she was assimilated. I never liked that. Since we're shown in FC the Borg can synthesize flesh, my interpretation was always that they built her from the ground up and grew the flesh that surrounds that robot skull and spinal cord.

Yeah, I always figured the Borg Queen was simply a variant on Locutus: a single drone given a measure of apparent individuality for when communicating with other intelligences is necessary. If Voyager had had a different actress play the Borg Queen for every appearance, even within the same episode, it would have been a very effective way of portraying this.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I don't read the novels, but I'm sure there is a novel out there with this exact idea.
Somewhere, a writer gets an idea...

FLUIDIC space? The Founders exist in a fluidic state, naturally... WHAT IF SPECIES 8472 ARE FOUNDER ANTIBODIES IN A DIMENSION WHERE THE GREAT LINK TAKES OVER EVERYTHING

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

More than one. General consensus in the Star Trek EU is that Founders can't be assimilated but Jem'hadar and Vorta sure can, and that standing orders for Dominion ships in danger of assimilation is to self-destruct if there's not a Founder on board.

One of the skins for the heavy combat drones in Star Trek Online, for example, is an assimilated Jem'hadar.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

More DS9 reports! :riker:

S01E04 Babel

Obligatory space disease episode. Kind of a twist that pretty much the entire crew was affected by the end and they had to rely on an outsider for help instead of lucking out that McCoy didn't happen to catch the crazy.

S01E05 Captive Pursuit

The plot of this one was pretty standard but it was good for fleshing out the characters. The way Tosk carried himself when he was getting used to the station reminded me of the Thermians from Galaxy Quest. I like trying to guess what dumb stuff Odo's going to morph into next.

S01E06 Q-Less

This one was fun. Every scene with Quark was great. The overall plot was a little less great, but serviceable. I never saw the Vash episodes of TNG though, so while I appreciated the general catch up O'Brien gave the audience I feel like I probably missed something there.

I'm surprised that you all said this show gets better in later seasons, I thought it was pretty good already!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
If you're enjoying season one this much then hoo boy you're in for a treat.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

womb with a view posted:

More DS9 reports! :riker:

S01E04 Babel

Obligatory space disease episode. Kind of a twist that pretty much the entire crew was affected by the end and they had to rely on an outsider for help instead of lucking out that McCoy didn't happen to catch the crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrhvtyGgli4

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The title says "Bread?" but the Sisko says "Bre?ad"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, with maybe one or two exceptions, a bad DS9 episode is on par with a slightly below-average TNG episode. It's just that a lot of those episodes are in Season 1 because that's before they figured out what they were doing with the series.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s more that DS9 gets better by developing its own identity rather than the objective quality going up. Very few episodes ever dip below “okay” and it’s even rarer that there’s an episode that doesn’t serve to at least better a character in even some small way.

I mean, the quality does go up but it always felt like every piece of talent (whether that was acting, directing, writing, cinematography, make-up, whatever) that needed to be there always was and it just ended a cohesiveness of vision to bring it all out.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Speaking of cinematography, what was the deal with all the soft focus in the first season of DS9? I feel like I need to rub my eyes whenever I watch "Emissary."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kibayasu posted:

It’s more that DS9 gets better by developing its own identity rather than the objective quality going up. Very few episodes ever dip below “okay” and it’s even rarer that there’s an episode that doesn’t serve to at least better a character in even some small way.

I mean, the quality does go up but it always felt like every piece of talent (whether that was acting, directing, writing, cinematography, make-up, whatever) that needed to be there always was and it just ended a cohesiveness of vision to bring it all out.

DS9 had the clearest sense of identity of all the Star Treks, in my opinion. It's a town on the Western frontier, and Sisko is the newly arrived marshal here to keep order. He's grizzled and scarred but has a tender heart like a good Western protagonist should, and brought his son and long-standing partner who's his opposite in personality with him. Bashir is the bright young genius from back east who wants to make a name for himself. Odo's the local sheriff who's none too happy to have a fed looking over his shoulder, Quark's the odd but dangerously intelligent foreigner (running with the Western theme, he's probably Chinese) who runs the local saloon, O'Brien is the local handyman and carpenter everyone relies on, Kira's the hot-tempered representative of the local Native Americans, and Dukat's the greasy executive from the Company that has designs on the area.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Cythereal posted:

and Dukat's the greasy executive from the Company that has designs on the area.

And/or a Mexican general who ran the area before the USA bought the land and still fondly remembers the time he enslaved the natives to run the local mine. Of course, he then goes on to take over Mexico and ally with the Japanese Empire when they invade through a magic Apache portal that connects Hokkaido and Arizona, so the analogy breaks down after the first couple seasons.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cythereal posted:

DS9 had the clearest sense of identity of all the Star Treks, in my opinion.

It did, in the beginning it just didn’t tell a lot of stories where that identify mattered.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

And/or a Mexican general who ran the area before the USA bought the land and still fondly remembers the time he enslaved the natives to run the local mine. Of course, he then goes on to take over Mexico and ally with the Japanese Empire when they invade through a magic Apache portal that connects Hokkaido and Arizona, so the analogy breaks down after the first couple seasons.

Huh. Yeah, he's definitely a Mexican warlord....that's been courted by Napoleon III? I guess?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Speaking of cinematography, what was the deal with all the soft focus in the first season of DS9? I feel like I need to rub my eyes whenever I watch "Emissary."

If you're comparing it to TNG on Netflix or Prime, bear in mind that both of those services have the HD remasters of TNG, and going from that to DS9--which had the same "produced on film, edited and finished on tape" workflow as TNG--is going to make DS9 look pretty lovely in comparison. I believe both shows had the same DP, even.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Timby posted:

If you're comparing it to TNG on Netflix or Prime, bear in mind that both of those services have the HD remasters of TNG, and going from that to DS9--which had the same "produced on film, edited and finished on tape" workflow as TNG--is going to make DS9 look pretty lovely in comparison. I believe both shows had the same DP, even.

I just checked out a few clips, I think maybe what I'm noticing is more that the first couple DS9 seasons had more shadows and haze because they were still going for the "seedy derelict space station" effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the portal is the railroad, obviously