Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Man is your only experience with Mexican food Taco Bell?

No? But the entire discord it goes to definitely doesn't seem like its SA related!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Sylink posted:

No? But the entire discord it goes to definitely doesn't seem like its SA related!

Goons like Mexican food, that’s South America related.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Yeah copyright infringement is really easy to avoid as long as you put in the smallest amount of effort in appearing to not be a copy of what you're ripping off. It's really not difficult at all and the only reason you wouldn't put in said effort is if you want to be mistaken for the people you're riffing off of. This is where copyright lawsuits come in.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Rex-Goliath posted:

Yeah copyright infringement is really easy to avoid as long as you put in the smallest amount of effort in appearing to not be a copy of what you're ripping off. It's really not difficult at all and the only reason you wouldn't put in said effort is if you want to be mistaken for the people you're riffing off of. This is where copyright lawsuits come in.

This could go even beyond copyright infringement. Have you seen their web site? The first rule of avoiding trademark infringement is, don't use your competitor's trademarks.

http://rulesofsurvivalgame.org/

Rules of Survival opens a savage combat between 120 connected players from around the world. Similar
to PUBG game, you will be dropped down onto a strange island by using your parachute.

Talk about your blatant rip-off.

And wow this is some cheap stuff. They can't spell for poo poo, their copy is barely intelligible, they even misspell their own product name.

With a vast map, you will experience so many terrains.

I doubt they have a budget for many lawyers (or competent ones for that matter), so this should really be a steamroll for Bluehole.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah, it honestly sounds like a totally fair lawsuit and i'm really stunned at how this is being received by the PUBG community when going after hilariously awful knockoffs would be applauded in any other situation.

like, they're not going after Fortnite even though a lot of their complaints apply to that game too. they're going after the games that are basically asset flips.

I mean if I know anything about the PUBG community it's that a lot of them act like they really want the game to die a horrible death for some reason

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
So many terrains

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

This could go even beyond copyright infringement. Have you seen their web site? The first rule of avoiding trademark infringement is, don't use your competitor's trademarks.

http://rulesofsurvivalgame.org/

Rules of Survival opens a savage combat between 120 connected players from around the world. Similar
to PUBG game, you will be dropped down onto a strange island by using your parachute.

Talk about your blatant rip-off.

And wow this is some cheap stuff. They can't spell for poo poo, their copy is barely intelligible, they even misspell their own product name.

With a vast map, you will experience so many terrains.

I doubt they have a budget for many lawyers (or competent ones for that matter), so this should really be a steamroll for Bluehole.

That lovely Website posted:

Battle Royale games are so popular nowadays, and Rules of Survival is one of them that you shouldn’t miss! Inspired by Player Unknown’s Battlegrounds, this awesome clone will let you experience more challenges with a fierce battle where the death keeps following you behind. All players will get opportunities to show off their surviving abilities. If you are interested in this new Battle Royale game, just quickly check it out right now!

loving lol

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

oddium posted:

this feels like the bethesda scrolls thing where they have to do stuff like this or when a legitimate case comes along they have/don't have precedent

It's this, btw. IP law usually dictates that you have to defend your property continously to maintain your right to it, even if you sometimes end up having to defend it in ridiculous cases.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Thom P. Tiers posted:

drat, I didn't realize the mini was such a laser. I don't use it that often so maybe that's why. AWM laser is the best laser.

You can score 2 hits a lot quicker with the mini than you can with an sks which is often enough to negate the lower damage and get a kill faster.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah as dumb as the lawsuit is that description really isn't helping their case.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Wow, was I wrong on this one. I had never heard of Netease, inc. Apparently they're a billion dollar business. In China.

Btw they also blatantly ripped off Fortnight.
http://bgr.com/2018/03/12/fortcraft-download-ios-android-fortnite-ripoff/

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I did some math because I had a feeling the circles really hate you when you're in the border and here's some fun stats for you to read and forget:

* The odds of you being inside a circle are always less than 50% no matter where you are (though everyone should be able to figure this)
* More interestingly, if you're at the border, the chances that the next circle's edge will be closer to half the difference between the circles' radii is less than 50%. For most circles the average distance you'll run is 53% to 56% of the new circle radius, and almost always 53% of the difference between the two circles' radius, or over a quarter of the current circle's diameter.

Bottomline is that you'll have to run a lot more often than you'll have to run a little.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Elentor posted:

Yeah as dumb as the lawsuit is that description really isn't helping their case.

I'ts not a dumb lawsuit at all :confused:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No Safe Word posted:

I'ts not a dumb lawsuit at all :confused:

It really depends on the weight you put on the subjects of what constitutes a game genre, IP infringement, IP laws forcing you to defend your IP, asset flipping. All of the things you listed, in aggregate, make it sound like they're copying PUBG which they pretty much tell you on their webpage that they are but the line for what constitutes infringement and what constitutes a genre is really blurry and weighted towards game design elements not being generally copyrightable despite a lot of companies trying to.

This isn't really the thread to discuss this in-depth but yeah, I understand that companies need to actively defend their copyright and that's why they throw lawsuits all the time, but this whole debacle reminds me of the whole moba poo poo-show.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
One leet crew carry a day keeps the doctor away.

Round 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVIQbGBWA0I&t=1155s

Round 2 is longer but it was a pretty intense ending if you want to see it. If not, skip to about ~19:00 to see the finale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEZFF5IbD_o&t=923s

I guess I can stop bitching about how the SCAR-L recoil is wild. I wish I was less trash the the M24 though.

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power

Good soup! posted:

is Erangel even a map anymore, I've done close to a dozen solo matches in the last day or two and each and every time has been in the fuckin desert

On Monday and Tuesday this week out of like 20 or so rounds I got erangel twice. It loving sucks.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Big changes for the next patch: https://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/1651007810318992139

quote:

Hi friends,

This patch we’re tweaking the blue zone and doing some renovations on Miramar. Expect to see a couple of long-requested quality-of-life changes as well. Please leave us feedback about these changes! If the changes are working as intended, we’ll bring them over to the live server this week. We’ll keep you updated.

Love, PUBG Corp.

General Gameplay

We’ve adjusted safe zone and blue zone functionality. Also, in-game clothing spawns have been removed.

Blue zone delay time has been reduced. You’ll be given less time to linger between phases.
The maximum movement speed of the blue zone has been reduced. The blue zone will move more slowly toward the end of the game.
The damage inflicted by 7th, 8th, and 9th blue zones has been increased.
Except for the first blue zone, the probability of creating an extreme safe zone (one far away from the center of the previous circle) has been reduced by 30%.
The final blue zone will narrow down to the center instead of narrowing down to a random spot, and the total wait time including the blue zone inactive time has been reduced. (195 seconds to 90 seconds)
As the end of the match approaches, the safe zone will increasingly favor areas with land over areas with water.
On Erangel specifically, the first safe zone will now be revealed 30 seconds earlier.
On Miramar specifically, players can now see the first safe zone while flying in the airplane. (We may or may not carry this over to the next live update. We want your feedback about this change.)
In-game clothing spawns have been removed from all maps. Other item spawn balance remains the same.

World

Improvements were made mainly on Northern part (Northeast, Northwest) of the Miramar to make it a more appealing area.

The Oasis can now be found in the north, and Alcantara village has been added to the northwest.
We’ve added more roads, off-road paths, and car spawning positions to facilitate easy travel into and out of the area.
Higher-tier loot is now more likely to spawn in specific areas of the north of Miramar.
We’ve optimized the GPU performance of buildings seen from mid-range (all maps).

UI/UX
Improvements to teams
You can now send requests for invitations by clicking the invite button on another player’s career screen.
If you are a team leader, you can now kick your team members.
You can also kick any team member using “Team” tab in the friends list, found at the bottom right corner of the screen..

Bug Fixes
Footsteps should now always make sound when walking on tarp, carpet
Fixed an issue causing some objects to become invisible at particular distances
Indoor plants should no longer block bullets
Fixed and removed some weirdly-placed road signs, plants, and stairs
Fixed an issue that broke the killer spectating function whenever the killer died too quickly after taking out the spectating player
Fixed an issue that sometimes caused players to take no damage when exiting a moving vehicle

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I already hate chasing the blue zone and now they made it worse :(

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

JEEVES420 posted:

I already hate chasing the blue zone and now they made it worse :(

No they didn't? For Miramar you will literally never have to chase the circle if they show it before the plane. They are showing you the circle 30 seconds quicker on Erangel. The later circles move MUCH slower so you can afford to pick fights with people and not be pushed in by blue damage as you make your way in.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I always felt like the big problem with the northern extremities of Miramar is that the map is too loving big and you can easily get boned by a bad circle. I'm not sure making the loot better there really addresses the fundamental problem of Miramar being too big and annoying to traverse.

Showing the circle pre-drop might make the situation better on that front at least.

I also feel that there are a lot of semi-interesting setpieces/environments on Miramar that never ever end up being a part of the final circles because they're too far out on the edges (like prison island or campo militar), and adding more time polishing up the map edge with additional named areas seems like throwing good money after bad.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 11, 2018

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Scoss posted:

I always felt like the big problem with the northern extremities of Miramar is that the map is too loving big and you can easily get boned by a bad circle. I'm not sure making the loot better there really addresses the fundamental problem of Miramar being too big and annoying to traverse.

Showing the circle pre-drop might make the situation better on that front at least.

They added more roads and vehicle spawns up there. Maybe the circle change will make the mid-game somewhat better. Still won't fix the lack of cover/scenery.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Scoss posted:

You literally will have a choice to drop in the circle or not if they show it AND they decreased the chance of a far extremity next circle by 30%. If they keep the pre-plane circle; literally nobody can complain about traveling around in the blue on Miramar anymore. They are essentially cutting the size of Miramar into a 5x5 by showing you the circle.

Edit: Comedy option: Split Miramar into North and South. Make the maps 8x4's with ellipses as the circles.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 11, 2018

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

This is all super good poo poo. Just finish the 4x4 map now and make the map on it actually 4 squares by 4 squares (and not 8 .5km squares) and then for all I care they can do nothing but continue make lovely gun skins for the rest of the year*

* - also still constantly ban cheaters

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm just glad that they are removing clothing spawns.

Fling open a door and spot a pile of loot, consisting of boots and gas masks.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I never had a problem with dropping on the edge of miramar but usually when I do that, I drop at a vehicle first and then drive to loot.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

A good update.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I think I'd rather not know the circle ahead of time, but I'll try with it on and see how it is.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

odiv posted:

I think I'd rather not know the circle ahead of time, but I'll try with it on and see how it is.

It was pretty fun and good on the 4x4 map, but it's almost the exact opposite on Miramar. On the 4x4 map it's basically: if you want a less hot drop, you can just drop outside the circle and then work your way in since you can basically run across 1/4 of the map in like a minute anyway. With Miramar I expect it will be: probably don't drop Campo Militar because the circle is on Valle del Mar, my dude (or swap that with Prison/Torre Ahumada). But with the new timings, who knows?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The best are the clothing spawns on top of all the attachments/guns/ammo, but you can't see those until you open your inventory or pick up the pants/shirt covering them. I probably left a ton of poo poo on the ground my first 5-10 games because I looked in a room, saw clothes only and walked off.

So, will clothes no longer spawn and instead something else will spawn in their place? I guess I don't understand the underlying change that will happen, does this mean I'm going to get 10000 more shotgun chokes, or will overall loot remain the same except minus clothes.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

We won't know for sure until we see it ourselves, but I would guess the latter.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I like the clothing drops, depending on the map I will change shirts/jacket to better fit the backdrop. I don't think it actually works as well as it does in my head though.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

You do know for sure:

quote:

In-game clothing spawns have been removed from all maps. Other item spawn balance remains the same.

Basically, if the loot generator RNG rolled "clothing spawn" before, now it rolls "nothing at all".

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Won't less extreme edge circles just mean the circle will always end up somewhere near the middle? Thus meaning you're unlikely to ever see the stuff at the edges of the map?

I would want more extreme circles, shake it up a bit, the middle of the map is boring.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

NZAmoeba posted:

Won't less extreme edge circles just mean the circle will always end up somewhere near the middle? Thus meaning you're unlikely to ever see the stuff at the edges of the map?

I would want more extreme circles, shake it up a bit, the middle of the map is boring.

I believe they intend this to affect the 2nd circle and later, so subsequent circles will be more in the center of the first and not touching the edges.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

bluehole posted:

* We’ve optimized the GPU performance of buildings seen from mid-range (all maps).

Hopefully this will mean buildings at range don't turn into Cubist nightmares anymore

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
RIP my lucky red leather coat :(

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Making the blue travel slower is good. Making it less likely for an "extreme" safe zone to spawn is lame. Some of the fringe areas of Miramar are among the most interesting

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I dropped trailer park once. It was the worst decision of my life.

Also not a fan of a shorter first circle. That's prime lootin time.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

drunken officeparty posted:

I dropped trailer park once. It was the worst decision of my life.

same except the circle ended up south of impala and we won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

whatis posted:

Making the blue travel slower is good. Making it less likely for an "extreme" safe zone to spawn is lame. Some of the fringe areas of Miramar are among the most interesting

This is just saying the chance of the zone picking way on the right or left of the circle is less likely as it gets smaller

It's to lesson the chance of the one house in the zone getting lucky and being the only cover in a huge field, that everyone has to run directly towards