Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

What the gently caress.

You know there's going to be a redemption arc for the entirely irredeemable Rob Ford. gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Harris is only 38???

Dude looks like he’s in his late 40s.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Reince Penis posted:

What the gently caress.

You know there's going to be a redemption arc for the entirely irredeemable Rob Ford. gently caress

He atoned through suffering. It's very Catholic.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Is there still a memorial billboard on the highway for him?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Holy poo poo lol

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-notley-says-alberta-government-would-consider-buying-trans-mountain/

quote:

Alberta Premier Rachel Notley says her government would go as far as buying the Trans Mountain pipeline outright in order to aid its push to get oil to overseas markets.

Kinder Morgan Canada Ltd. has warned that if British Columbia continues to throw legal roadblocks in the way of the pipeline-expansion plan, it could be forced to pull the plug on the $7.4-billion project. The company’s Houston-based parent has set a deadline, saying said it needs financial protection for shareholders and an end to the B.C. government’s threats of obstruction by May 31.

In response, Alberta and Ottawa – who both argue the project is in the national interest – have said they are open to exploring financial support and other rescue options. Ms. Notley provided more clarity Tuesday about the investment her government is willing to make should Kinder Morgan decide it can’t move forward with the project.

“We are considering a number of financial options to ensure that the Trans Mountain expansion is built, up to and including purchasing the pipeline outright if it was to come to that,” Ms. Notley said in a statement provided to The Globe and Mail.

“But it is not the only model we’re considering. Obviously the best interest and outcomes for Albertans will be front and centre as we explore these options.”

Ms. Notley’s office did not provide any dollar figures. But the statement comes the same day as the federal cabinet holds an emergency meeting on the federally approved pipeline project. Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr has indicated that Ottawa is reviewing a variety of legal and regulatory strategies, as well as its financial options. Financial options could include loan guarantees and direct investment, a government source said Tuesday.

The Alberta Premier will meet with federal Finance Minister Bill Morneau and other federal officials in Toronto on Wednesday.

The proposed expansion of the existing Trans Mountain pipeline would allow Alberta to nearly triple shipments of oil and refined products to a terminal in Burnaby, B.C., bringing enough scale to the line for significant exports to overseas markets to become commercially viable – and relieving shipping constraints that have contributed to hefty price discounts on Canadian oil. Some First Nation communities and residents of the B.C. Lower Mainland oppose the project due to the increased tanker traffic and oil-spill risk it would bring to coastal waters. Environmentalists also believe federal approval of the project is at odds with Canada’s greenhouse gas reduction commitments.

Ms. Notley, who only got the news on Saturday that Kinder Morgan would bring down its ultimatum on Sunday, said this week that the fight over the pipeline is bordering on becoming a constitution crisis. She has asked Ottawa to inflict some kind of economic pain on B.C., including cutting off transfers under the national climate strategy. Her government will also introduce legislation next week that would give Alberta the legal authority to cut off oil or refined product shipments to B.C.

If Alberta or Ottawa invest in the project, the political pressure will increase for British Columbia. To date, the provincial government has framed its opponents in this battle as investors in a Texas boardroom – but standing in the way of a project that is bankrolled by Albertans or Canadians would be more divisive on the national stage.

However, B.C. Environment Minister George Heyman said Tuesday that would not change his government’s approach.

“We have proposed exactly what it is in our jurisdiction to do, to introduce permitting and regulations to ensure that B.C.’s environment, economy and interests are protected. Nothing about who owns the pipeline would change that,” he told reporters in Victoria. “Investment decisions by the government of Canada or the government of Alberta are their decisions.”

Mr. Heyman said his government has been consistent in its stance. “We have said all along that we believe this project is a bad project for B.C., it poses far too much risk.” But he noted the province has continued to process construction permits in a timely way, as it awaits the verdict of a Federal Court of Appeal legal challenge that aims to reverse the federal approval for the project.

The B.C. government has invested tax dollars in opposing the project at that Court of Appeal hearing, where it acted as an intervenor. Still ahead, B.C. is expected in the next few weeks to file its reference to the courts on whether it has the jurisdiction to curtail any proposed increase in oil shipments across its territory.

DariusLikewise fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 10, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I mean that’s one way for an NDP government to support oil, sure

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

This was exactly what Stephen Harper's vision of Canada was, each province with complete sovereignty from the Fed and it's probably killing him now lol

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Why do they even need a pipeline, just move enough Albertans out into the Atlantic and they can transport it by sucking it off

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Albertan's need oil to live apparently. There's a bunch crying right now on reddit about it.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Vintersorg posted:

Albertan's need oil to live apparently. There's a bunch crying right now on reddit about it.

Well obviously, that's why building pipelines was such a priority for the 9 year Harper government!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Lol we outfundraised the BC Libs from the election to the EOY 2017 :owned:

https://twitter.com/integritybc/status/983478796614434816?s=21

This is before the new fundraising rules came into effect and includes 3 months where the libs were still the governing party

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Reince Penis posted:

What the gently caress.

Yeah I'm really looking forward to watching our oblivious, bought off and out of touch media further rehabilitate the image of a born wealthy, politically connected criminal whose entire career was an active detriment to the most downtrodden and helpless members of Toronto's society

I mean I know with the news basically sucking these guys off it's a wonder anybody knows anything about them at all, but it's incredible how many canadians apparently see themselves reflected in the worst kind of cartoon bullshit 60's Batman villains our politics has to offer

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/robyndoolittle/status/983726195840864256

They genderswapped the reporter cause women can't do journalism good.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

gently caress movies :bahgawd:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wtf is even happening anymore

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wtf is even happening anymore

Subsidizing a death cult with tax dollars to own the Libs

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

this is not what i meant when i said nationalize everthing

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Do we need any more evidence or are we all now convinced that this truly is the dumbest timeline.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Jason Kenney of course, longtime principled opponent of “picking winners and losers” with tax dollars, considers this an exception

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there even a good business case for the pipeline? Would it decrease export costs enough to make the tar sands bounce back to levels that would generate enough taxable income to pay off the pipeline? From the numbers I've seen, the whole project seems entirely political and a make-work and confidence-boosting handout to albertan oil workers.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Is there even a good business case for the pipeline? Would it decrease export costs enough to make the tar sands bounce back to levels that would generate enough taxable income to pay off the pipeline? From the numbers I've seen, the whole project seems entirely political and a make-work and confidence-boosting handout to albertan oil workers.

It's utter horseshit. The oil company bet they could get the province to pick up the tab for their expensive infrastructure and that bet is paying off. They know that our poo poo oil won't be profitable for long enough to justify the pipeline, so they're having the poor suckers who live here pick up the tab. gently caress Kinder Morgan, gently caress the ANDP, gently caress this dumb province and every motherfucker in it.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

If we could somehow sink a whole province, I think it would be worth it making a lake between BC and Saskatchewan.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

quote:

Ms. Notley, who only got the news on Saturday that Kinder Morgan would bring down its ultimatum on Sunday, said this week that the fight over the pipeline is bordering on becoming a constitution crisis.

gently caress off

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Imagine being Rachel Notley, the first-ever NDP premier of Alberta, and knowing that you are going to lose the next election literally no matter what you do, and then spending all your energy and political capital fighting to spend taxpayer dollars on a privately-owned oil pipeline.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Iirc nobody was even talking about the necessity of pipelines until late fall 2015.

Then in a matter of weeks they became a national necessity.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

And just lol at threatening to cut off supply to BC, like their cars run on diluted bitumen. That threat might carry weight if we had any secondary industry in this garbage fire province, but nope, just digging poo poo up and shipping it away, then yelling and screaming like dumb babies when global forces make our poo poo worthless.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Alberta trying to swoop in and steal Ontario's thunder for being the dumbest province. :argh:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

People are really really dumb and passionate about things they haven't even done 101 level of research on, news at 11. I've heard now from three entirely separate people that a pipeline would help BC because we'd be able to get cheaper gas from alberta. Like the pipeline will just go directly to your local gas station pump and you'll pump that cheap local crude into your car.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

The LPC sent a lawyer over to see him immediately, here's the footage from CBC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvBxQsgr6PI

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Why would anyone want to invest in B.C. in this climate?!??!!?!?

it’s not like there exists any kind of business other than digging up toxic goop from million year old dead plants and shipping it to China

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

People are really really dumb and passionate about things they haven't even done 101 level of research on, news at 11. I've heard now from three entirely separate people that a pipeline would help BC because we'd be able to get cheaper gas from alberta. Like the pipeline will just go directly to your local gas station pump and you'll pump that cheap local crude into your car.

My two personal faves are

"Have we considered building more refineries to produce our own gasoline"
"Ban oil imports from the Middle East"

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

My two personal faves are

"Have we considered building more refineries to produce our own gasoline"
"Ban oil imports from the Middle East"

I mean, that first one is a good idea and something we should have been working on since the loving 70s.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

vyelkin posted:

Imagine being Rachel Notley, the first-ever NDP premier of Alberta, and knowing that you are going to lose the next election literally no matter what you do, and then spending all your energy and political capital fighting to spend taxpayer dollars on a privately-owned oil pipeline.
I don't think she's spending all her political capital on this - if anything, it's rebuilding what political capital she had *in Alberta.*

But yes. There is a not insignificant amount of irony here.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Albino Squirrel posted:

I don't think she's spending all her political capital on this - if anything, it's rebuilding what political capital she had *in Alberta.*

But yes. There is a not insignificant amount of irony here.

Except it’s pointless because all of the people she’s trying to impress with these moves exist in a parallel reality where she and Trudeau are post-modern communists waging jihad on the oil industry

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
whats the difference between this pipeline and the northern gateway one and why is trudeau all for this one but he shut down the latter?

Alberta should of had a pipeline wide panhandle stretching all the way over to the pacific. what a terrible oversight by whoever drew up the borders.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

lowly abject turd posted:

this is not what i meant when i said nationalize everthing

*a finger on the monkey's paw curls*

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
nationalizing the oil industry to own the libs

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

THC posted:

Except it’s pointless because all of the people she’s trying to impress with these moves exist in a parallel reality where she and Trudeau are post-modern communists waging jihad on the oil industry

HOLY gently caress YOU GUYS I just figured it out. Can't believe I didn't see it before.

Trudeau and Notley are following Hillary Clinton's lead and they're chasing the Mythical Moderate. Lets see how that works out for them :laugh:

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

whats the difference between this pipeline and the northern gateway one and why is trudeau all for this one but he shut down the latter?

Alberta should of had a pipeline wide panhandle stretching all the way over to the pacific. what a terrible oversight by whoever drew up the borders.

Marine shipping impact was specifically excluded from the NEB review when it was approving Trans Mountain.

"Yeah this pipeline just stops at the water's edge, guys. It's totally safe!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

THC posted:

HOLY gently caress YOU GUYS I just figured it out. Can't believe I didn't see it before.

Trudeau and Notley are following Hillary Clinton's lead and they're chasing the Mythical Moderate. Lets see how that works out for them :laugh:

He got elected on it already? He's an amazing politician, you get the feel good tingle of voting against the conservatives with no downside.

2014 posted:

Justin Trudeau moseyed into Harper country Tuesday and accused the prime minister of being “all hat and no cattle” when it comes to pipelines.
Trudeau is an enthusiastic supporter of Keystone but is adamantly opposed to Northern Gateway. He’s willing to consider the proposed Kinder Morgan trans-mountain pipeline to Burnaby, B.C., provided it passes environmental muster and gets buy-in from effected communities.

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/trudeau-blasts-harper-for-bungling-pipelines-needed-by-alberta/